IGNORED

Sierra 3: Paddle Faster I Hear Banjos

Coconut Flan

5 hours ago, Flossie said:

I've got two.  One that makes the tiny squares, and another that makes larger ones.  Love them.

Care to share what it's called? I kinda need one in my life! I hate dicing.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

Sort of off topic but we have had the same old peeler since we got married 26 years ago. We were peeling potatoes at Christmas and my husband said wow this is so dull. I picked up another at target and oh my word. It works so well! Like crazy well. Who knew. 

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 19
  • I Agree 1

46 minutes ago, fluffernutter said:

Sort of off topic but we have had the same old peeler since we got married 26 years ago. We were peeling potatoes at Christmas and my husband said wow this is so dull. I picked up another at target and oh my word. It works so well! Like crazy well. Who knew. 

Like when I put a new blade in my rotary cutter for quilting and kick myself for not doing it sooner?

• Upvote 8

19 hours ago, lil_secret said:

Care to share what it's called? I kinda need one in my life! I hate dicing.

Vidalia Chop Wizard

I've had them for years, so that's why I have one for each sized dicing blade.  Now Vidalia has one unit that has two or three blades for ease of use and takes up less space in the cupboard.

You can find them at Amazon, but my daughter bought mine from our local Walmart.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 4

1 hour ago, Flossie said:

Vidalia Chop Wizard

I've had them for years, so that's why I have one for each sized dicing blade.  Now Vidalia has one unit that has two or three blades for ease of use and takes up less space in the cupboard.

You can find them at Amazon, but my daughter bought mine from our local Walmart.

I have this too!  My mom is queen of kitchen gadgetry and whenever she likes something, my sister and I get it for Christmas lol. 
my only beef with it is that I do find it a challenge to clean depending on what you dice. 

• Upvote 2

I'd imagine you have to rinse it as soon as you're done to avoid crusting it and risking cut fingers while cleaning it.  I don't mind knifework when cooking, but I'm lucky enough to have good hand dexterity and a love of cooking (and don't mind chopping onions even if I cry).  I know not everyone shares those traits or has much free time to get dinner on the table.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4

The exact one Sierra shared was the Progressive Onion Chopper Dicer. I put it on my wishlist right away; I need something like that (Trying out the instagrammer Kids.eat.in.color.'s methods-lots more veggie options on our plates these days! ?) It shows up as $15.24 at walmart for me.

While we're talking about meals somewhat here, let me introduce you to a great deal I found on reddit: full cart.org. They are a non-bill recurring food service and their 'Signature Box' is currently $4.99 with the code HEALTHY. Someone tell J-Rod, I don't  want to be her newest Plexus target. (comes with 4 packages of veggie pasta, 3 packs chicken noodle soup, 2 packs of red lentil jambalaya, 2 Mac and cheese,3 packs mashed potatoes, 2 packs oatmeal, 3 packs Thai noodles, an 3 packs hamburger stroganoff. You can choose a family in need to send a package to.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2

17 hours ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

and don't mind chopping onions even if I cry).  I know not everyone shares those traits or has much free time to get dinner on the table.

Have you tried keeping your onions in the fridge?   No more tears!

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 4

I'm glad to see Sierra's response. I think that she realizes what a huge job homeschooling is, especially with caring for toddlers/babies, and that if she gets completely overwhelmed and her children's education is not up to par then public school could be an option.  

20200112_110103.jpg

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

I am honestly not sure I believe her. I really hope she sees public schools as a serious option, but I doubt it. I would not be surprised if she'd keep on homeschooling no matter the costs/how tired she is.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 16

1 hour ago, Timetraveler said:

I am honestly not sure I believe her. I really hope she sees public schools as a serious option, but I doubt it. I would not be surprised if she'd keep on homeschooling no matter the costs/how tired she is.

What gives me hope with her statement is that both she and Mark went to public school. So they know what it is, and it doesn't have to be seen as this horrible place of wordly exposure, rather an instituiton that can greatly benefit their children. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 4

2 hours ago, Timetraveler said:

Her two eldest boys used to go to a Christian school, but she pulled them out a few years ago and started homeschooling.

I find it interesting that she basically never posts about homeschooling anymore. 

• Upvote 6

Anyone who says “my husband and I’d” shouldn’t be homeschooling. (I know it was autocorrect for I apostrophe s, but that’s just as bad.)

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 8
  • I Agree 10
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, Deleorean88mph said:

I'm glad to see Sierra's response. I think that she realizes what a huge job homeschooling is, especially with caring for toddlers/babies, and that if she gets completely overwhelmed and her children's education is not up to par then public school could be an option.  

20200112_110103.jpg

Okay Sierra, you'd totally send your kids to public school. /s

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Peaches-n-Beans said:

Okay Sierra, you'd totally send your kids to public school. /s

Yeah I don’t buy it either. I think it’s something fundies say to make it sound like they’re open minded. Homeschooling family is such a nonnegotiable and identity that I don’t think they’d actually reconsider without a serious worldview shift. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 10

19 hours ago, indianabones said:

Her two eldest boys used to go to a Christian school, but she pulled them out a few years ago and started homeschooling.

Its hard to afford private school tuition when you keep on producing new mouths to feed.

PS Sierra "the influencer" would be so pleased to know she's turned several of you on to her kitcher dicer thing. If only she had an Amazon link to it in her post! : )

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

Include me on the kitchen dicer thing (and the meat chopper).  She did another cooking demo in her stories and this time demonstrated a different way to open cans.  I may have to give that a try as well.  

• Upvote 2

On 1/10/2020 at 10:54 AM, fluffernutter said:

I do this all the time with dumb crap. Not even so much because I'm cheap but because it just doesn't occur to me to replace/buy more. I almost want someone to walk through my house and point out what I need to easily upgrade to make my life easier.

I used to have one good set of bag clips. It was always this negotiation over which cereal/chips/etc would get the "good clips" that worked and which would get the old bent paper clips that didn't really do the job. 

And then it finally occurred to me to go out and spend $3 on more bag clips. Whole new world...

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 21
  • I Agree 3

@nausicaa That is sooooo me! I was using office clips to close stuff! Bought normal bag clips at the grocery store and no lie it's like freaking xmas when it's time to close something. ? 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 6
  • Love 3

On 1/13/2020 at 3:40 AM, indianabones said:

I find it interesting that she basically never posts about homeschooling anymore. 

Private religious school and public school are pretty different. I think if they could afford it (no doubt they can't with all the kids and his job) they'd send the kids to Christian school, but I don't actually think they'd ever consider public school. 

If she is homeschooling nad doing it adequately, with the number of kids she has she's insanely busy, and she's probably realized she's not gonna be a homeschool influencer. She's not getting offers from companies to showcase curriculum, and she strikes me as mostly using instagram  to try to be an influencer, so she's not posting stuff just to post or blog or what ever, she's posting stuff to try to make money. 

• Upvote 2

On 1/12/2020 at 8:10 PM, neuroticcat said:

Yeah I don’t buy it either. I think it’s something fundies say to make it sound like they’re open minded. Homeschooling family is such a nonnegotiable and identity that I don’t think they’d actually reconsider without a serious worldview shift. 

Back when I watched 11tybillion kids and counting I remember Michelle bringing her kids to a public school to scratch their violins or something. And she gave this speech about how she and JBoob went to public schools and they support public schools, just  made a different choice for their family. Right.
Like Anna discovering the public library and being amazed at how easy it is to get a library card (?!) Any chance that since that episode her kids have ever been to the public library?

• Upvote 7

The library episode made me so sad. I loved the library as a kid and now my kids are all regulars too. 

I doubt any of them really go.

ETA: And if I remember correctly it as so painful to watch Anna stumble through the guest storyteller bit. 

Edited by neuroticcat
  • Upvote 7

Beliefs aside, I think mega families avoid school because school does not operate on these folks’ time tables. Can you imagine if Michelle would have  had to get all those kids off to school each day, on time, with homework done, notes signed, backpacks and lunches in place. NFW! And the same goes for Sierra now. They homeschool by default, and I don’t doubt that HS activities are the lowest priority of the day! 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 3

There was a suspicion in an Evangelical Mainstreamish church I went to that one or two families at the church homeschooled (albeit one within the school district) because they had kids labeled as ADD/ADHD etc and wanted to avoid being forced to medicate their kids.  (file this under stuff you learn/pickup on being involved in children's ministry)

• Upvote 5

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic