IGNORED

Sierra 3: Paddle Faster I Hear Banjos

Coconut Flan

Maybe I missed this, but do we know where Sierra’s husband works? In that daughter date post he’s wearing a Sam’s club logo shirt and she said he had just come home from work, so I’m assuming that’s his employer? I wonder what his role is there; could give insight into their financial situation/insurance coverage. 

Aah. That’s right. I remember that being mentioned. Yeah, that can’t produce a ton of income. I guess maybe he could be a manager there? I’m surprised he’s “allowed” to work for the man and not himself - a real job with designated shifts and a salary! And the Duggars are still friends with them. 

4 hours ago, clueliss said:

There was a suspicion in an Evangelical Mainstreamish church I went to that one or two families at the church homeschooled (albeit one within the school district) because they had kids labeled as ADD/ADHD etc and wanted to avoid being forced to medicate their kids.  (file this under stuff you learn/pickup on being involved in children's ministry)

Can a school force someone to medicate their child? Surely that’s not a thing?

27 minutes ago, bal maiden said:

No they can't.  But if a child is having trouble with focusing and is having impulse control issues (touching people or things that they aren't supposed to, saying or doing things that irritate others or disrupt the classroom.  Not following rules or directions because of trouble attending.  Etc) The teacher/school will usually have repeated discussions/emails/phone calls with the parents and will frequently attempt disciplinary methods of controlling the child's behavior.  Parents may feel pressured to medicate in attempt to get their child's behavior under control.  My son has ADHD and his 1st grade teacher made me cry on a regular basis.  We had decided to medicate him any way but if we were adamant against it then home schooling would have the benefit of tailoring instruction to his needs.  And we'd never have another parent teacher conference.  But that wasn't an option for many reasons.  He's now in a different school who actually follows his IEP and it's a world of difference.  But not everyone has the luxury of having a more appropriate school environment to switch their kid to.  I will say that medicating him helped the most but having understanding and compassionate teachers has made me cry tears of joy.  

• Love 23

9 hours ago, clueliss said:

There was a suspicion in an Evangelical Mainstreamish church I went to that one or two families at the church homeschooled (albeit one within the school district) because they had kids labeled as ADD/ADHD etc and wanted to avoid being forced to medicate their kids.  (file this under stuff you learn/pickup on being involved in children's ministry)

Fundies and their anything, to dodge stuff

I was eavesdropping on fundies the other day and one had pulled her child out of daycare because she no longer wanted to vaccinate (after watching a movie). She also plans to home school for this reason too. Australia has mandatory up to date vaccinations required to attend (I want to say all, but I wont as I think some home daycares dont make you vaccinate) daycare. The other one stated that they do vaccinate (likely in order to receive government financial assistance) but delay as long as possible. I was eavesdropping on this all after I and every person at the church and every child had had a cuddle and touched her new (but old enough to have had at least one vaccination) baby..... I was instantly sad and worried for this poor little unprotected baby. ).

Nanny state or otherwise Australia is a mandatory vax (only exempt for medical, not religious) to receive government money and attend daycare. I am not sure about school though. I don't have one is school yet and I vaccinate. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

22 hours ago, bal maiden said:

No they can't.  My brother has been fighting with his bitch wife about getting their 7 year old DD tested for AD/HD she doesn't want to (mostly because she can't be bothered because it will involve her getting her lazy ass off the couch to do things) she says because of the stigma. But my mother & I kind of ganged up on my brother to get her tested. I have severe ADHD that has hindered me nearly my entire life and prevented my from doing much of anything. I FINALLY started medication last year and could cry thing about what could have been had I had this help 30 years sooner.  My brother finally relented and said I was right, and he's got her an appointment & told SIL HE will deal with it so she can do nothing, as usual. What has finally gotten my brother to pull his head out of his ass was the school said they are seriously considering holding her back because she is over a full grade level behind. She's in 2nd grade and her math and reading skills are at a kindergarten level. Her teacher feels she might have AD/HD and to get her tested & she might even be dyslexic (which my father is, her grandfather)  So she is being evaluated for both next month.

The school can't MAKE my brother do anything all they can do make suggestions. But the school CAN force a child to stay behind a grade by failing them.  The school district she is in is one of the top 15 schools in the state & her test scores will KILL them next year if she isn't caught up, she'll be going into 3rd grade and they stop that shit cold when it might affect their funding. 

As for getting all those kids ready for school? UGH, it was a nightmare some nights with just TWO kids in elementary school, between homework, planners, permission slips, lunches, lunch accounts and all that crap. I can't even begin to fathom having a child in every grade Pre-K - 12. Nope no way in hell, you would never sleep, you wouldn't have time for anything but planner reviews planner signing and homework. 

• Upvote 5

23 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

Fundies and their anything, to dodge stuff

I was eavesdropping on fundies the other day and one had pulled her child out of daycare because she no longer wanted to vaccinate (after watching a movie). She also plans to home school for this reason too. Australia has mandatory up to date vaccinations required to attend (I want to say all, but I wont as I think some home daycares dont make you vaccinate) daycare. The other one stated that they do vaccinate (likely in order to receive government financial assistance) but delay as long as possible. I was eavesdropping on this all after I and every person at the church and every child had had a cuddle and touched her new (but old enough to have had at least one vaccination) baby..... I was instantly sad and worried for this poor little unprotected baby. ).

Nanny state or otherwise Australia is a mandatory vax (only exempt for medical, not religious) to receive government money and attend daycare. I am not sure about school though. I don't have one is school yet and I vaccinate. 

That movie was probably "Vaxxed". Anti-vaxxers are my one of my pet projects when I feel like horrifying myself and I admit I have watched this movie.  IT's... it's something else. It's all anecdotal evidence and scare tactics. One of the most horrifying things about it is that people fall for it... 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

1 hour ago, Peaches-n-Beans said:

That movie was probably "Vaxxed". Anti-vaxxers are my one of my pet projects when I feel like horrifying myself and I admit I have watched this movie.  IT's... it's something else. It's all anecdotal evidence and scare tactics. One of the most horrifying things about it is that people fall for it... 

Oh thank you for that. I shall google it. I was curious as to what movie  they were referring too.

• Upvote 1

On 1/14/2020 at 10:33 AM, clueliss said:

Forced medication is a real issue with public schools and I don't want to minimize it. On the other hand, dysfunctional and/or abusive families do not want their kids anywhere near people who might start looking into what is really going on in the home and what the family dynamics are. And while some families very successfully home-educate kids who are "different" and would suffer under conventional schools, especially in not-very-enlightened districts, I just find the overwhelming number of fundie megafamilies who are not educated, believe in Creation "science" and so on hard to think of as thoughtful parents who devote themselves to meaningful education.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4

This actually reminds me of how some people equate natural remedies with homeopathy.

And how some people like to cite natural remedies as "gentler" or somehow less dangerous than the "chemicals" produced by pharmaceutical companies. Yes, natural remedies can have an effect. They can have an extremely strong effect. They can be toxic.

It drives me up the wall when people assume that just because something is "natural" it can't be harmful.

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

3 hours ago, SweetJuly said:

This actually reminds me of how some people equate natural remedies with homeopathy.

And how some people like to cite natural remedies as "gentler" or somehow less dangerous than the "chemicals" produced by pharmaceutical companies. Yes, natural remedies can have an effect. They can have an extremely strong effect. They can be toxic.

It drives me up the wall when people assume that just because something is "natural" it can't be harmful.

I agree, it's like they all forget one of the basic things you learn as child: you can't just put anything you find in nature in your mouth! But I guess it's easy to forget about poisonous mushrooms when you want to be *special*. 

Also, people should start learning the difference between "chemical" and "artificial".  All matter is made of chemicals. 

• Upvote 12
  • Thank You 1

Actual conversation with one of my cousins (who introduced me to essential oils)

Me:  well, you have to be careful with cinnamon oil because it is toxic to humans, ground cinnamon is fine.  

Her:  no, doTerra's oils are pure, they're fine to consume.  

Me mentally, okay you go ahead and put that in your mouth, but that's not what I'm talking about.  It has nothing to do with oil purity and everything to do with the oil itself.  (translation, I smiled and nodded)

• Upvote 6
  • Rufus Bless 1

6 hours ago, BemusedByFundamentalism said:

Also, people should start learning the difference between "chemical" and "artificial".  All matter is made of chemicals. 

One of my biggest pet peeves is some of the ‘mom vloggers’ on YouTube switching to all Young Living Thieves everything. ‘I just wanted something natural and chemical free so it’s safe for my kiddos’ 

Water is a chemical you silly tit. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 5

Ugh there is this girl on my facebook who is constantly posting about how frequently her youngest child is sick. During his most recent illness she posted how she hopes the antibiotics work quickly but then in big, bold, caps says how she is soooo thankful for ELDERBERRY SYRUP!! Like okay, lets give the antibiotics a quick head nod (you know those things that are actually going to get rid of your child's ear infection) but then let's full out worship elderberry syrup which at its best, is only going to help reduce symptoms. Of course the comments on her post were just chock full essential oil garbage from numerous people and several comments about how vaccines are evil. Funnily enough just a week or two later she herself was diagnosed with influenza b and she acknowledges how dangerous that strain of flu can be, but vaccines are still evil. It took all my strength not to comment on the irony but I didn't feel like being jumped on by 12 essential oil huns. 

Edited by JesSky03
  • Upvote 10

4 minutes ago, Nargus said:

One of my biggest pet peeves is some of the ‘mom vloggers’ on YouTube switching to all Young Living Thieves everything. ‘I just wanted something natural and chemical free so it’s safe for my kiddos’ 

Ha, another quick story. MIL came over this weekend and mentioned how she went to a Norwex party and was "converted" over to this "natural, chemical free" laundry soap. My husband goes "mom, everything is a chemical". She at least agreed and admitted its likely a phase that she will give up seeing as she was promised the price was worth it since she would get 100 loads out of this stuff and she ended up having to use so much of it she only got a grand total of 23 loads ?

I was just sitting there quietly noping away from the conversation. We use cloth diapers with our son and put them in our washing machine. Give me the strongest chemicals you got lol. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 4

19 hours ago, indianabones said:

Screenshot_20200120-202400.thumb.png.2227bb211ccb8960c99583d9cd841215.png

Kristen Young is promoting the medicinal use of Belladonna.

I mean, since it's homeopathy it's basically water so hopefully she won't poison herself, but seriously?!?

Here's an article from Scientific American about the dangers of using Belladonna.

I mean... she's not wrong... Belladonna will reduce fever. Kinda hard to have a fever if you're dead. 

5 hours ago, Nargus said:

YESSSS like, dude, if you cut raw chicken or take a shit there please for the love of all that is holy use the chemicals. 

and yeah everything's chemicals but I want strong ones for my kitchen and bathroom. I refuse to eat at the home of someone who uses Thieves to clean. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 9
  • I Agree 2

10 hours ago, JesSky03 said:

Ha, another quick story. MIL came over this weekend and mentioned how she went to a Norwex party and was "converted" over to this "natural, chemical free" laundry soap. My husband goes "mom, everything is a chemical". She at least agreed and admitted its likely a phase that she will give up seeing as she was promised the price was worth it since she would get 100 loads out of this stuff and she ended up having to use so much of it she only got a grand total of 23 loads ?

I was just sitting there quietly noping away from the conversation. We use cloth diapers with our son and put them in our washing machine. Give me the strongest chemicals you got lol. 

I will say, the norwex makeup remover cloths are great for removing the bulk of a full face of makeup with just water. You still have to cleanse properly after but it does about as well as a generic disposable makeup remover wipe.  They're more gentle than a lot of other microfiber makeup cloths I've used. Everything else is whooey tho.

I loved diffusing a citrus essential oil blend cause it smelled nice till I read that citrus oils are bad for cats. Of which I have 2.

• Upvote 2

I'd love to have a fundy maiden name her 1st firstborn Belladonna. 

There used to be a "Hemlock Nursing Home" in my hometown. My family found that hysterical.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 10

Only things I know about Belladonna, is one, it is toxic, and two, it was pretty kick ass Stevie Nicks Album. 

I'm pretty convinced these natural oils is just natures way, natural selection and all, only the smartest and strongest are supposed to survive in nature. 

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Only things I know about Belladonna, is one, it is toxic, and two, it was pretty kick ass Stevie Nicks Album. 

"After the Glitter Fades" is one of the best songs ever written and if Stevie Nicks ever starts her own cult I'll be her fundiest member.  I love her so much.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 2

Tea tree oil is toxic for cats too. When my kids were little we had a few rounds of lice. At first I tried the lice treatment stuff but it was way too harsh on my kids scalps. So I researched and found out how amazing tea tree oil is in treating lice. My kids did great with it and we started using it as lice prevention also by adding a few drops into their shampoo and conditioner bottles. Never had a lice issue after that. But we had to be very careful that our cats were never exposed to it, if it gets on their skin or inhaled it can be toxic. I'm not sure how many people are aware of the dangers of essential oils to people and animals

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 3

30 minutes ago, Iburneddinner said:

Tea tree oil is toxic for cats too. When my kids were little we had a few rounds of lice. At first I tried the lice treatment stuff but it was way too harsh on my kids scalps. So I researched and found out how amazing tea tree oil is in treating lice. My kids did great with it and we started using it as lice prevention also by adding a few drops into their shampoo and conditioner bottles. Never had a lice issue after that. But we had to be very careful that our cats were never exposed to it, if it gets on their skin or inhaled it can be toxic. I'm not sure how many people are aware of the dangers of essential oils to people and animals

This is good to know! Just had a note home from my kid’s teacher that someone has lice in his class. ?

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Iburneddinner said:

Trader Joe's has a wonderful tee tree oil shampoo and conditioner.  Very tingly, leaves hair silky, and not expensive.  

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic