IGNORED

Sierra 3: Paddle Faster I Hear Banjos

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, Fundielandobserver said:

Sierra commented in her newest post that she expereinced a misscarraige or loss of child this decade . A few people commented that very recently when her freind had misscarried she had  gone live and said that she has never gone through this testimony ! 

Someone's pants may be on fire..... I wonder what the go is here and what her explanation will be 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Fundielandobserver said:

Sierra commented in her newest post that she expereinced a misscarraige or loss of child this decade . A few people commented that very recently when her freind had misscarried she had  gone live and said that she has never gone through this testimony ! 

I can't believe I'm about to back Sierra.

But maybe her loss was very early term and her friend lost later in her pregnancy (ie similar to Lauren and Joy Duggar) so while she personally has lost a child/pregnancy she does not identify or relate to the story of her friend. I have a friend who had an early miscarriage but would never pretend to know what it's like to lose a pregnancy later on.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4

@nst, the current Daniel Webster in Congress is Alyssa Bates Webster's father in law. 

Sierra has posted about her husband taking their little daughter Elly out on a "date", including:

"Mark:  “I want to take Elly out on a date tonight, what do you think?” I agreed, completely. Then I called him back, and said “If you’re going to do it, do it right, first date style.” He showed up, knocked on the door, had a bouquet of flowers, and asked permission to take Elly on a date...""

Mark and Sierra, this is not appropriate. Stop it.

• Disgust 9
  • WTF 13
  • I Agree 3

At some point over the past year, Sierra has become one of my favorite fundies to hate-follow.

I honestly don't know what grosses me out more: Sierra and Mark "dating" their daughter or JRod's sibling boyfriend/girlfriend what-the-fuckery.

Probably the daughter dating.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

perhaps Sierra should remember that Mark is providing money for what 9 people = running out the door is the best thing in the world he does. 

• Upvote 12
  • Love 2

I think the way they waste money is sick (flowers, dining out when you have eleventy other kids in home-however overall it seemed fairly inexpensive in this instance!), but im not disgusted with the word 'date'; I think people sexualize it too much here. I used to nanny for a fantastic liberal, feminist family. We used the word 'date' to define a special one on one time very similar to way Mark and Sierra did here- usually when we could tell the child was 'off' and not feeling special. She went on daddy dates, mommy dates, and I took her out once for a Nanny date. (We got frozen yogurt and visited a toy store). I think of that experience very fondly. I can assure you it was not at all like being on a romantic date. Just making a small child feel prioritized. 

This was a rare Sierra Post I found sweet.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

I agree the term date is pretty innocuous,  like having a lunch date with a friend,  but Sierra says to "do it right,  first date style" and come to the door with flowers.   It just doesn't sit right with me.   Why can't he just spend time with his kids and not view them through the gender lens. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 27
  • Love 2

17 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I want the large tax increase that I got last year to pay for, roads, schools, libraries, SNAP, WIC, Medicare, Social Security, veteran care, Fire Departments, well trained police, and things like this. The vast majority of our tax money is going to corporate welfare and  Military contracts given to friends/business partners of our elected officials. 

Your state taxes are not going to the military. And approximately 30% of your Federal tax dollars go to health care, 25% to defense, and 15% on interest on Federal debt. So, no, the "vast majority" does not go to corporate welfare and military contracts (though I agree both are overfunded and serious cuts need to be made).

Here is a liberal/anti-Trump budget source breaking down the percentages I used:

https://www.nationalpriorities.org/analysis/2019/tax-day-2019/where-your-tax-dollar-was-spent-2018/

A conservative source which claims even greater non-military spending

https://www.heritage.org/taxes/commentary/1-graphic-heres-what-uncle-sam-doing-your-tax-money

I don't know why people on this site have increasingly become so comfortable with making blanket statements with no supporting evidence. 

And again, public schools, fire departments, roads, and libraries still exist and are funded by your state tax dollars, so I don't know why you keep saying you get "nothing" for your taxes when you believe these things should be supported. 

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 1
  • Thank You 7

33 minutes ago, WarriorJane said:

I agree the term date is pretty innocuous,  like having a lunch date with a friend,  but Sierra says to "do it right,  first date style" and come to the door with flowers.   It just doesn't sit right with me.   Why can't he just spend time with his kids and not view them through the gender lens. 

@FleeJanaFree Warrior Jane has put it much better than I could.  The term date is indeed innocous--I had a lunch date with a friend yesterday.  But what Mark and Sierra are doing are blurring  the line between innocous dates and romantic dates. And as WarriorJanes aptly puts it, they are unnecessarily turning the event into something gendered.

When Elly is older, is she going to be able to have a lunch "date" with a boy and not view it thru a romantic lens?

The line that really bothered me is Mark "asked permission to take Elly on a date." 

Did he asked Elly to go? Or did he asked SOMEONE ELSE (ie Sierra) to give permission for Elly to go out for a cupcake?  It all just rubs the wrong way. I'm all for hanging out with other humans, especially one's kids. But not everything have to be a damn EVENT.

• Upvote 23
  • Love 1

This isn't the first time she's posted about "dating" her kids. 

The whole situation in today's post is ridiculous. She called her husband the minute he left for work so he could apologise to their child and then demanded "first date" arrangements. And all because they don't have enough time. Get a clue Sierra, you are NEVER going to have any time to parent your kids effectively because you have more than you can cope with already. 

I agree with @WarriorJane and @HereticHick that there is something unsettling about this post. "I love the way they are looking at each other." 

This child is 5 years old. I hardly think that now is the perfect time to teach her the true meaning of forgiveness. She probably forgot about whatever happened in the morning and was just happy to spend some unscheduled time with her dad. But to Sierra and Mark, this is all about some weird lesson. 

• Upvote 11
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, FleeJanaFree said:

I think the way they waste money is sick (flowers, dining out when you have eleventy other kids in home-however overall it seemed fairly inexpensive in this instance!), but im not disgusted with the word 'date'; I think people sexualize it too much here. I used to nanny for a fantastic liberal, feminist family. We used the word 'date' to define a special one on one time very similar to way Mark and Sierra did here- usually when we could tell the child was 'off' and not feeling special. She went on daddy dates, mommy dates, and I took her out once for a Nanny date. (We got frozen yogurt and visited a toy store). I think of that experience very fondly. I can assure you it was not at all like being on a romantic date. Just making a small child feel prioritized. 

This was a rare Sierra Post I found sweet.

agreed! the only thing I find odd is people sexualizing a father giving his child undivided attention. 

2 hours ago, WarriorJane said:

I think this, in their minds, is to show Elly how she deserves to be treated when she is at the age of romantic dating. seems a bit unnecessary imo, but, I don't think it's harmful... and I like it much better than the version I once heard of- a single mom who took her son out on a date once a month, where he had to pull her chair out for her, she gave him money to pay, etc. she was teaching him how to be a gentleman. THAT sat wrong with me. It also would if Sierra did that to her sons- but if she took her sons out on a date similar to the one mark did with Elly, id see nothing wrong with it. 

• I Agree 1

2 hours ago, nausicaa said:

Your state taxes are not going to the military. And approximately 30% of your Federal tax dollars go to health care, 25% to defense, and 15% on interest on Federal debt. So, no, the "vast majority" does not go to corporate welfare and military contracts (though I agree both are overfunded and serious cuts need to be made).

Here is a liberal/anti-Trump budget source breaking down the percentages I used:

https://www.nationalpriorities.org/analysis/2019/tax-day-2019/where-your-tax-dollar-was-spent-2018/

A conservative source which claims even greater non-military spending

https://www.heritage.org/taxes/commentary/1-graphic-heres-what-uncle-sam-doing-your-tax-money

I don't know why people on this site have increasingly become so comfortable with making blanket statements with no supporting evidence. 

And again, public schools, fire departments, roads, and libraries still exist and are funded by your state tax dollars, so I don't know why you keep saying you get "nothing" for your taxes when you believe these things should be supported. 

Oh FFS! A PORTION of my taxes goes to putting CHILDREN IN FUCKING CAGES and their parents in concentration camps and I'm not OK with that. Another PORTION of my taxes goes to for profit mass incarceration and I'm not OK with that. Another PORTION of my taxes goes to the murder/war military complex and I'm not OK with that. Another PORTION of my taxes goes to corporate welfare and tax breaks for business some of them pay a negative tax rate, meaning WE pay them A PORTION of our tax money and I'm not OK with that either.    

Sorry I don't know the exact percentages, have at it, then you can come back and belittle me some more. Silly me thought this was a just message board not the New York Times. 

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • WTF 3
  • Love 1

I think the “date” terminology in the context of purity culture is what’s weird.

For instance, there’s nothing wrong with a daughter preparing her dads favorite meal. But in the context of purity culture its ?

So when I see fundies talking dates with parents when they don’t even let teenagers date it’s like what!?!

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

The thing I found the most ridiculous about the date thing was that it was over something stupid, and yes while I think apologizing to kids is important I think spending that kind of money when you have a miscommunication with one of them and you have 7 more at home (or however many) is not a good idea. Now I'm all for indulgences, and it's great that he wants to spend time with his daughter - that's more then a lot of fundy men do. 

The thing that unsettled me about this is what @FunFunFundie said. Would he have done this for one of his sons? Would he have apologized to them at all? I don't think so. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

@allthegoodnamesaregone

If we (the librulesque heathens) cannot source our facts accurately, we aren't better than the the other guys who say walnut-sized fetuses are forming at twi weeks.

I don't think @nausicaa
is trying to shut you up or down os sideways.

If we want to win against Trump, or fundies, or racism or any other big bad, we have to have our facts straight. Responding from a place of fear, media hype and terror isn't going to win.

She's just using facts. It's not a personal attack.

Long year coming. We can do it.

• Upvote 21
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 5

On 1/2/2020 at 12:37 AM, scoutsadie said:

Ha ha ha - that baby's expression is so grumpy-old-man! (swipe left or whatever to see)

I actually loved the third photo so much I had to make it my new avatar! ?

• Haha 2
  • Love 3

Spending 1 on 1 time after an argument is actually a really good idea. And doing that by taking her out for dinner is also great (if there is money for it). 

Calling it a first date and asking permission is very inappropriate.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 6

I found Sierra’s vague description of some sort of miscommunication a little odd. Knowing the endorsement of corporal punishment by many of Sierra’s friends and acquaintances (e.g. the Duggars and Kristen Young) my mind immediately went to that. Look, Mark appears like a friendly and chill guy and it’s not my intention to accuse him of violence without any shred of proof, but I wonder if Elly might have been physically punished and the so-called date was a way to apologize. 

• Sad 3

I'm curious about what Sierra tangibly gains from all Instagram giveaways that she does.

For example, today is a giveaway of a set of kitchen accessories, the other day was a $75 gift card from that Citrus & Lemon boutique that all the fundy gals like.

Is she getting her own set of kitchen accessories/$75 gift card for her trouble?

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

@HereticHick I assume she does indeed get something for doing these giveaways. My guess is that it gets compensated like an ad post would - after all, she presents products and tries to make people interested in purchasing from companies. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, HereticHick said:

I'm curious about what Sierra tangibly gains from all Instagram giveaways that she does.

For example, today is a giveaway of a set of kitchen accessories, the other day was a $75 gift card from that Citrus & Lemon boutique that all the fundy gals like.

Is she getting her own set of kitchen accessories/$75 gift card for her trouble?

She could be getting what she’s giving away, money and what she’s giving away, or just money. It depends on her following and engagement rate plus the company that she is working with. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

To me this "first date" seemed like something Sierra thought up so she could post about it on the internet.

Edited by Eternalbluepearl
  • Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic