IGNORED

Joe and Kendra 13: Online Courting with Caldwell Semi-colons

Georgiana

It sounded like it was a forced adoption - but thanks for clearing it up that the birth mom was forced to do it in the parking lot as opposed to being allowed to do it in a more comfortable location. 

I finally watched this episode of counting on - did anyone else detect a real sadness when Kendra talked about being so young and a mom? She’s usually so bubbly that it struck me as oddly poignant and revealing, her sharing that feeling. 

• Upvote 7

21 hours ago, Virago said:

I finally watched this episode of counting on - did anyone else detect a real sadness when Kendra talked about being so young and a mom? She’s usually so bubbly that it struck me as oddly poignant and revealing, her sharing that feeling. 

While I do think overall she is happy and loves Joe and her children, a part of her may still wonder what life would be like had she not gotten married so young and had the chance to go to college or get a job. 

• Upvote 15

3 hours ago, Glasgowghirl said:

While I do think overall she is happy and loves Joe and her children, a part of her may still wonder what life would be like had she not gotten married so young and had the chance to go to college or get a job. 

Maybe she realized for the first time how young she really was when she tied the knot, and that you only have so many years of being "young and free". She must see that her mum's life and hers don't look that different now (they even get pregnant at the same time), and perhaps that makes her reflect.

Don't get me wrong, I believe people should be free to live their lives as they see fit, and if a girl decides to start a family at 20, then so be it. I suppose it is also possible to enjoy a period of "late youth" after the kids have left the nest, if the right circumstances occur. But then there's also family and peer pressure to consider. Kendra was no trailblazer, she simply did what's customary in her circles, aided by her 19 y.o. hormones.

On a side note: it's neat to see that Joe and Kendra decided to commemorate that bright period in the Duggar timeline when 19KaC crashed by naming their daughter A(shley Ma)ddison.

• Upvote 12

Ive not watched yet but there's a good chance the pregnancy hormones could've been dulling the kendra sparkle so to speak. I kind of doubt she's questioning anything only to babies deep and married to fundy royalty yet. Maybe she is though, she could have friends who chose to hold off on marriage and go on some missioncations, volenteer for some JTTH retreats, maybe get an approved fundy education like cosmetology or something, etc. I can't imagine that her aspirations would suddenly skyrocket though. 

• Upvote 7

2 minutes ago, llg1234 said:

Poor Addison, didn't even get a full week of the being the youngest GranDuggar. :pb_lol:

Bella won’t get much more. MDuggar is due in about 10 days.

• Upvote 17
  • Rufus Bless 1

Ok on the name thing- unique names are cool! Yeah I think spelling James like Jaymz is a little silly, but Lexi can still be a Dr/Justice/President... People will get used to it. That's the same logic that's used against the unique names in Black communities and that's just racist. (I am super white but) My name is Alexa, which was out of the top 100 for popularity my birth year, and it's not short for anything. I feel like people here would have criticized my mom for giving me that name, but it has never held me back. I do get jokes now because of the robot, but that obviously didn't exist when I was born. I like having a unique name. In a class full of Ashleys and Sara(h)s, I was always correct to turn my head when I heard my name. People had a reaction when I introduced myself (they still do). I felt special.  I like having Alexa as my first name and an unpronounceable German last name. If you google me...you'll only find me. My 9 syllable full name will be on my PhD in all its glory and everyone will just be ok with it! I will be Professor Alexa one day, all fingers crossed, with uniquely named children of my own.

One day, we will have Drs. Lexi, Brecken, and Prayanne (a slightly modified version of a real and real wonderful student I've had). They will be no less qualified due to their names, and because they are really wonderful drs/justices/teachers/presidents/mentors/friends, other people will view those names as serious/kind/intelligent/professional. 

The name snark is  fun. But sometimes it seems we all want fundies to give their kids names out of the top 30 but in the in the top 60-30 of that year, or acceptably old and unique but traditional. Weird names can be fun! And I just had to say that. ?

Edited by neurogirl
  • Upvote 28
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 13

43 minutes ago, neurogirl said:

Ok on the name thing- unique names are cool! Yeah I think spelling James like Jaymz is a little silly, but Lexi can still be a Dr/Justice/President... People will get used to it. That's the same logic that's used against the unique names in Black communities and that's just racist. (I am super white but) My name is Alexa, which was out of the top 100 for popularity my birth year, and it's not short for anything. I feel like people here would have criticized my mom for giving me that name, but it has never held me back. I do get jokes now because of the robot, but that obviously didn't exist when I was born. I like having a unique name. In a class full of Ashleys and Sara(h)s, I was always correct to turn my head when I heard my name. People had a reaction when I introduced myself (they still do). I felt special.  I like having Alexa as my first name and an unpronounceable German last name. If you google me...you'll only find me. My 9 syllable full name will be on my PhD in all its glory and everyone will just be ok with it! I will be Professor Alexa one day, all fingers crossed, with uniquely named children of my own.

One day, we will have Drs. Lexi, Brecken, and Prayanne (a slightly modified version of a real and real wonderful student I've had). They will be no less qualified due to their names, and because they are really wonderful drs/justices/teachers/presidents/mentors/friends, other people will view those names as serious/kind/intelligent/professional. 

The name snark is  fun. But sometimes it seems we all want fundies to give their kids names out of the top 30 but in the in the top 60-30 of that year, or acceptably old and unique but traditional. Weird names can be fun! And I just had to say that. ?

Yes to all of this! A woman doesn't need to be named Elizabeth or Charlotte to be professional and respected. If these fundie girls never have high power jobs, it won't be because of their names. I've worked with PhDs named Misty, Tiffani, and Kimmie. Their names certainly haven't held them back in the slightest!

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

Give it 50 years and those names will be the common, traditional ones. People will be going, “you named your daughter MARY? Aren’t you worried she’s going to be teased?” ?

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

8 hours ago, neurogirl said:

I love your name! My favourite teacher during my Master's Degree was called Alexa, too, and I did consider the name for our daughter, who was born earlier this year. But with Amazon's Alexa being quite popular here in Germany (I imagine it will only get "worse" in the next years)... I didn't want to do that to her.

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, DillyDally said:

I love your name! My favourite teacher during my Master's Degree was called Alexa, too, and I did consider the name for our daughter, who was born earlier this year. But with Amazon's Alexa being quite popular here in Germany (I imagine it will only get "worse" in the next years)... I didn't want to do that to her.

Yeah don't do it anymore lol. People actually giggle when I say my name now. Before I got "oh how pretty." But my siblings-in-law do call me sometimes to ask me "what's the weather?" and its all in fun. Although I did see this ad one time which cracked me up. ("No" is mine)

IMG_5606.thumb.JPG.1a2b299c2532325a9dd566970b43e0b4.JPG

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 16

31 minutes ago, neurogirl said:

Yeah don't do it anymore lol. People actually giggle when I say my name now. Before I got "oh how pretty." But my siblings-in-law do call me sometimes to ask me "what's the weather?" and its all in fun. Although I did see this ad one time which cracked me up. ("No" is mine)

From one Alexa to another, preach lol. Too many jokes. It wasn't popular when I was a kid either, but I was named a variation for a grandparent so my name (Alexa-Louise Marie) was particularly old fashioned as a kid, but now it's not too bad. I'd rather have been Louise though, and be wheezy lol. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

40 minutes ago, neurogirl said:

I had a customer at my job ask me if that is where my mom got the name. I was born in 1996. At least people know how to spell and pronounciate the name instead of saying oh Alexia or Alexis. Its Alex with a A it's not that hard!

Edited by SillyDillys
Forgot to add something
  • Upvote 6

3 hours ago, lexiloumarie said:

From one Alexa to another, preach lol. Too many jokes. It wasn't popular when I was a kid either, but I was named a variation for a grandparent so my name (Alexa-Louise Marie) was particularly old fashioned as a kid, but now it's not too bad. I'd rather have been Louise though, and be wheezy lol. 

My mom's name is Louise Marie. She goes by Lucy. I've always loved her name.

• Upvote 3

People are just classist and close minded sometimes. Alexa is a normal name to me. 

But I come from a region where normal names include Deja, Amoi, Peta-Gaye, Oshane, Tanisha, Kesha, Shanae etc. 

Yes sometimes names get made fun of but it’s not that big a deal. 

• Upvote 7

On 11/11/2019 at 4:26 PM, neurogirl said:

Yes, thank you! There's nothing wrong with having a unique name. You can still be a doctor, judge or president. If I don't vote for an Lexi or Brecken for president it won't be because their name it'll be because I disagree with their policies, actions and ideas or like the other candidates better. Having a doctor with a "classic" name doesn't mean they'll automatically a better doctor. I've had tons of doctors who had "classic" names and they were crappy doctors. The best doctor I've ever had was my gastro doctor and his first and last name is Polish. I don't care because he was first doctor who believed me when I explained my symptoms and discovered the problem. It took a few tries but I learned to say his name correctly. 

It is funny how you ended up getting used to names. As a kid London, Paris and Brooklyn seemed so new and different. Now I'm so used to them. It doesn't seem at all strange or odd. Aiden and Liam were new and rare now they are used all the time. What new name will become popular. Its always fun to see which old name ends up becoming popular again.  

I have a unique name. Its a common name with a different first letter. Like similar to Maura instead of Laura. It constantly gets mispronounced all my life but I've gotten used to it. I've gotten used to "where did it come from" and 'that's a weird name'. My favorite has always been why did your parents name you that? What do you want me to say? That my parents picked a name they hated the most? Well, gee, this may surprise you but they liked it. My mother loved it ever since she first heard the name, a co-worker named her daughter it and my mother loved it ever since.  For a brief moment I thought it might be on the road to being popular. A different spelling of it has gone to a few baby boys but then it stopped. It fits me so well. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

18 hours ago, neurogirl said:

My colleague is named Siri, whenever someone mentions her at least one phone starts to bleep.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 23

29 minutes ago, CarrotCake said:

My colleague is named Siri, whenever someone mentions her at least one phone starts to bleep.

That’s funny. The tv host Carson Daly’s wife is named Siri also. I wonder if a phone beeps when he says her name. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/4/2019 at 3:51 PM, Gobsmacked said:

Born in 1960 I came down with chicken pox at 4 years old. My siblings both caught it. Sister was a baby. My two caught it aged 3 and 4 years, thankfully before staring school. When I was a child chicken pox parties were a thing. No vaccines then. Much better to catch it as a younger child. During my first year at high school aged 11 several folk succumbed. They were all really quite ill and ended up with some scarring. It's a horrible illness but seems to be worse if caught at an older age. My two can't remember having it. That's a good thing. My little great nephews have all been innoculated. 

I was also born in 1960.I was about 3 years old when I had chicken pox,my older brothers had it,too.

My oldest son was going to 4K,and almost every child in that school got chicken pox,that year,almost all,except him.He's never had it.My middles son got it at this time.My youngest son had it when he was 3,and I had not had him around anyone that had chicken pox,at this time.

• Upvote 2

The most unusual name I have ever come across was a little girl whose name was Anonymous Justice. She went by AJ. She had a pretty rough home life and I wonder sometimes how she's doing. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

Remember the olden days when fundies decided they needed to "set apart" their families by naming the kids very...unique names?  Names like Heistheway, Vision O'YHWH, or Jerusalem Song?  Runners up included Triumph Perseverence, Sauntina LaVerle, Mercy Fire, and Destiny Divine?  And I've never seen these ones hit FJ, but elsewhere there were stories that included Psalmodys and L'Prayers.  

Whenever a fundie names their kid, I think back to this time.  Normally, I'm like "Oh, well this is fine." 

Except for that one couple that named their kids Ansyr and Aynjel. 

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

Remember the olden days when fundies decided they needed to "set apart" their families by naming the kids very...unique names?  Names like Heistheway, Vision O'YHWH, or Jerusalem Song?  Runners up included Triumph Perseverence, Sauntina LaVerle, Mercy Fire, and Destiny Divine?  And I've never seen these ones hit FJ, but elsewhere there were stories that included Psalmodys and L'Prayers.  

Whenever a fundie names their kid, I think back to this time.  Normally, I'm like "Oh, well this is fine." 

Except for that one couple that named their kids Ansyr and Aynjel. 

How does one say the last part of the bolded name? 

• Upvote 2

I don't think Sauntina was an attempt to be set apart or "epistemologically correct" so much as a creative  (or SOTDRT?) spelling of Sonatina.  They said it meant little song.  LaVerle is Kendalyn's second name.

• Upvote 1

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic