IGNORED

Joe and Kendra 13: Online Courting with Caldwell Semi-colons

Georgiana

3 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

I remember when one of my kids was in  preschool, There was a John Z, a John W, a John E, and a John B. And a Johnny. In a class of 20. Then there were two Emmas and an Emily or two.

This reminded me of this poem, I just had to share it!!

The title is Will You?

When, at the end, the children wanted 
to add glitter to their valentines, I said no.

I said nope, no, no glitter, and then,
when they started to fuss, I found myself 

saying something my brother’s football coach 
used to bark from the sidelines when one 

of his players showed signs of being
human: oh come on now, suck it up.

That’s what I said to my children.
Suck what up? my daughter asked,

and, because she is so young, I told her
I didn’t know and never mind, and she took 

that for an answer. My children are so young
when I turn off the radio as the news turns 

to counting the dead or naming the act,
they aren’t even suspicious. My children 

are so young they cannot imagine a world
like the one they live in. Their God is still

a real God, a whole God, a God made wholly 
of actions. And I think they think I work

for that God. And I know they will someday soon
see everything and they will know about 

everything and they will no longer take 
never mind for an answer. The valentines 

would’ve been better with glitter, and my son
hurt himself on an envelope, and then, much

later, when we were eating dinner, my daughter
realized she’d forgotten one of the three 

Henrys in her class. How can there be three Henrys
in one class? I said, and she said, Because there are.

And so, before bed we took everything out
again—paper and pens and stamps and scissors—

and she sat at the table with her freshly washed hair
parted smartly down the middle and wrote 

WILL YOU BE MINE, HENRY T.? and she did it
so carefully, I could hardly stand to watch.

Copyright © 2019 by Carrie Fountain. Originally published in Poem-a-Day on March 13, 2019, by the Academy of American Poets.

Edited by Rio
Spelling
  • Upvote 2
  • Love 2

I just saw on FB the other day. A guy talking about kids names. No clue if they are true. I did see something on the news about Abcde in the past I think.

Examples:

Abcde    pronounced Ab suh dee

Sssst       pronounced Forest (4 s's and a t)

Jkmn       pronounced Noel   (J K no L M N)

L-a           pronounced L dash uh

https://www.facebook.com/djfinessemusic?__tn__=%2CdCH-R-R&eid=ARD95I2AB-y0jvNFRRWJqTA7TsXrQHEwnmfNTx2majHwRnpoE6qYO2eEnSt8JCjEZq7fq1s7qU-EfWAH&hc_ref=ARRD_Zq76pkoafHGeva5wLg4z1g1XEaw5mp1KK0dLrxXOAY_3y4WyubNXIs5sV__ayg&fref=nf

• Disgust 1

19 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

Florence isn't bad (but prepare for Aunt Flo), but I really hope people stay away from Fannie. My dad graduated with a Fairy and I hope that that name doesn't come back around.

Fannie or Fanny is pretty common in French speaking countries in general. I knew one growing up. Always thought it was a very  pretty name... until I learned English. ?

(But to be honest: I would probably not discard it completly as a potential name, simply because living in a French-speaking society, no one would bat an eye)

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, Vivi_music said:

Fannie or Fanny is pretty common in French speaking countries in general. I knew one growing up. Always thought it was a very  pretty name... until I learned English. ?

(But to be honest: I would probably not discard it completly as a potential name, simply because living in a French-speaking society, no one would bat an eye)

This reminds me of Enid Blyton's "The Faraway Tree". The main characters' names Dick and Fanny were recently changed to Rick and Frannie. The readers were not happy about that.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 11
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Chickenbutt said:

I just saw on FB the other day. A guy talking about kids names. No clue if they are true. I did see something on the news about Abcde in the past I think.

Examples:

Abcde    pronounced Ab suh dee

Sssst       pronounced Forest (4 s's and a t)

Jkmn       pronounced Noel   (J K no L M N)

L-a           pronounced L dash uh

Abcde is a real name. The others are made up and typically come with a racist backstory, although someone will usually pipe-up that their aunt/sister/cousin really, truly knew someone with that name. (I had a FB argument about that video earlier this week).

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/le-a/

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/funny-names/

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 4

Fanny is worse in UK and Ireland. I know in US it’s slang for butt (which is also slang!) but Fanny here is slang for vagina.

• Upvote 10

1 hour ago, Irishy said:

Fanny is worse in UK and Ireland. I know in US it’s slang for butt (which is also slang!) but Fanny here is slang for vagina.

Australia too

thats why all my friends and I used to laugh at the opening song of “The Nanny” who was out on her fanny. We knew it meant butt, but we didn’t cAre lol. 

Edited by AussieKrissy
Insert story.
  • Haha 10

On 11/7/2019 at 12:36 AM, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

The poor Twilight babies. I knew someone would name their baby Renesmee I wonder how many little girls got stuck with that name. 

Quite a few here. I work for county government and I had at least 4 new babies come across my files last year named Renesme. Khaleesi was another popular one. 

On 11/7/2019 at 1:29 AM, just_ordinary said:

Anna is an all time favourite here: it has been consistently  in the top 100 since 1890 with several years in the top ten. I am also a massive fan of many old names. 

My sister's name is Anna. Ironically her middle name is Meredith. I was always jealous of her name because I have a super trendy 80s girls name. 

As for Addison, it's fairly moderately popular here. There was one in my kids Daycare, she's got to be 7 or 8 now and there was one in my son's pre-k who would be 6. 

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Someone jumping into this thread to swear up and down that their aunt was a nurse and totally 100% saw twin babies named Orangejello and Lemonjello in 3... 2... 1...

Not that, but as a student nurse, I did see a child delivered, and her name was "Female".. and the mother pronounced it, "
Fah-molly"  

My sister was in high school with a girl whose name was T9C..They all called her "Tee-nine"

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Someone jumping into this thread to swear up and down that their aunt was a nurse and totally 100% saw twin babies named Orangejello and Lemonjello in 3... 2... 1...

As requested! My bestie works as a peds nurse. They had a T-a (Tedasha) as a patient. My mom went to school with children whose last name was Popps- named Lolly and Soda. There is still a lawn and garden store in town called by their last name (though I don't know if Lolly or Soda owns it; probably changed their names!).

@PumaLoverAlso I feel dumb asking but how is Reneesmee (sp?) pronounced? I'm assuming it's from Twilight? (which I've never seen).

I believe it is pronounced Ren ez may.

• Thank You 1

13 hours ago, singsingsing said:

I swear I really do know someone named Spurgeon in real life Sing!!!

Though he went by his middle name--unsurprisingly--and was a IV so at least there was a family reason for it. [Pointed look at Ben Seewald.]

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 7

Lol you guys, I was specifically referencing the Orangejello Lemonjello urban legend! Trust me, I went through public school and university and have worked in different government agencies and health care since then. I have seen my fair sure of interesting baby names! ?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

Not that, but as a student nurse, I did see a child delivered, and her name was "Female".. and the mother pronounced it, "
Fah-molly"  

My sister was in high school with a girl whose name was T9C..They all called her "Tee-nine"

I once cared for a baby in the Nicu whose mother thought we had named the baby, female. She was young and foreign.

• Upvote 2
  • Bless Your Heart 1

21 hours ago, Peaches-n-Beans said:

I quite like the idea of those spellings being "Cat-Lynn" myself but as said child would forever be miscalled "Kate-Lynn" so what's the point. 

20 hours ago, NCLunaLovegoodFan said:

My hairdresser is a Catlin, pronounced as ‘Cat-Lynn.’

I totally see those spellings (Catlin, Katlin, Katlyn, Catlyn)  pronounced as Cat-Lynn and being its own unique and individual name!

I knew a girl named Lacenta. Her mom was super crunchy and hadn’t had any ultrasounds, so she didn’t know she was having twins. Landon came out first and then they realized there was another baby when they were expecting to birth the pLacenta. She went by L. 

• Bless Your Heart 1
  • Rufus Bless 3
  • Haha 8

13 minutes ago, AmericanRose said:

I wonder how long Kendra and Joe will use 'littleduggarfamily' on Insta :think:

If they hit nineteen kids maybe they'll think about changing it.

• Haha 17

Oh, the old urban legends. I only believe Abcde exists because there was a news story about a mother being angry at flight staff laughing at her daughters name, with a picture of the mother and the kid and the plane ticket with it there to see. But if I had a dollar for every time someone claimed that their aunt/mother/coworker/friend who works as a nurse/teacher/at the registry of births deaths and marriages had come across a L-a or JKMN or Sssst I would be so rich. Maybe, MAYBE one or two people have heard the legends and thought it a great idea and named their kid L-a, and maybe one day I’ll actually see a birth announcement, school newsletter mention, employee name on a website or something to prove it. Maybe one day it’ll even make it onto 5 kids in the same year and crack the publicly available list of records. But there is simply no ducking way that everyone who claims to have met one has done so, and I will continue to call bullshit until someone offers me actual verified evidence.

There are plenty of wtf names out there - I’ve seen Tenaychous, Kazzarah-Jayne, Ahrazanah, Halarnie, Jeize and Sway, just to name a few. But despite being a teacher married to another teacher with 3 kids of our own in public school, daycare and various extracurriculars, somehow I’ve never come across any of the names that everybody’s coworker’s daughter once treated.

A friend of mine adopted a puppy earlier this year and named him Echo - her last name is Chambers. Because it’s a dog, not a child, I appreciate this.

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 1

20 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I once cared for a baby in the Nicu whose mother thought we had named the baby, female. She was young and foreign.

That, too. A poorly educated mother thought her daughter had already been named.She was happy to find out she could name her own child.

One has,in his baby book,his little wristlet that says "Male Birth Mother's Last Name" from the hospital. Two's mother was forced to physically hand him to us in the hospital parking lot, so we didn't get any of that stuff from him..

50 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

That, too. A poorly educated mother thought her daughter had already been named.She was happy to find out she could name her own child.

One has,in his baby book,his little wristlet that says "Male Birth Mother's Last Name" from the hospital. Two's mother was forced to physically hand him to us in the hospital parking lot, so we didn't get any of that stuff from him..

We also had a young mom with limited English skills whose baby had a congenital diaphragmatic hernia, and was with us for 18 months. When the admitting nurse asked the parents about the baby’s name, the nurse must have written it down wrong. Anyhow, we all called that baby the wrong name for a year and half. The baby’s name was something similar to what we had been calling her. Again, the parents never corrected us, and just ended up calling her our name...29 years later, I wonder what her name is.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Four is Enough said:

Two's mother was forced to physically hand him to us in the hospital parking lot, so we didn't get any of that stuff from him..

Like really forced?  That's upsetting. 

• Upvote 5

You see a lot of wtf names teaching. The worst I’ve seen were brothers Da’Realist and Da’Money. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, lumpentheologie said:

Like really forced?  That's upsetting. 

One's birth mother didn't even have to see us, although she did. Her attorney had her confirm in the hospital that she was relinquishing her parental rights,  She was also permitted to see the child, hold him if she liked. She didn't because she wanted him to bond with us. We were given a separate space to sit and hold this child.  We were the ones who brought in the car seat for inspection, we signed for the circumcision, etc.. This happened in Maryland, in a hospital that has seen more than one adoption.

Two, on the other hand, was born in God Knows Where, (I am just not saying) Pennsylvania, in a small hospital where I think NO adoptions had ever occurred. Birth mother was encouraged to keep Two in her room, so when we visited, we all had to be together, because WE had no right to remove him from the room. It was all very awkward, and I felt so sad for the birth mother, who had had a C Section after an unsuccessful labor . We knew this girl. (21) She had chosen us because she wanted to stay in touch with the child.

We had NOTHING to say or do except hold him in her room.. and when it was time to be discharged, she had to carry him out to the parking lot and give him over to us in full view of her attorney.  I don't know why it couldn't be done in the hospital. I felt that was so cruel and hard on her. She did want the adoption,but that was way over the top.

I don't think the attorney had ever handled an adoption. Our attorney spent a lot of time on the phone with him. Possibly as a result, we were treated with suspicion by both the attorney and hospital staff.

As an interesting aside, because of laws called Interstate Compact, Two could not leave Pennsylvania until paperwork had been signed, notarized, and filed, satisfying the compact. So for the first three weeks of his life, Two and I lived in a weekly hotel, as near as possible to the Maryland border, closest to our home. One and Mr. Four visited us on Mr. Four's days off. Now THAT was fun... not.

• Upvote 11
  • Love 14

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic