IGNORED

Joe and Kendra 13: Online Courting with Caldwell Semi-colons

Georgiana

In Ireland, naming girls what would be considered surnames (Addison, Taylor, Mackenzie, etc.) is considered a bit tacky. But it happens. It would be the equivalent of Americans using kry8tiv spelling. Naming trends here are a little boring if anything.

And Aidan made so popular by SATC was always an old man’s name when I was a kid.

Somebody mentioned Caitlin as an unusual spelling. Cáitlín is the Irish for Kathleen, pronounced Cotch Leen. Wonder if it derived from that and pronunciation changed in translation.

Edited by Irishy
  • Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1

31 minutes ago, lumpentheologie said:

In my opinion, Madison is an avenue.  And also a long-dead president and the capital of Wisconsin.  Not sure how that translated to such a popular girl's name. Maybe by association with Madeline? 

The movie Splash. 

In my area, the Madisons are all middle school and up. The Addisons are about grades 3-5 in general. 

in primary, there are now Jaden/Kayden/Hayden girls as well as boys. And a lot of more old fashioned names for girls —-Elsie, Ellie, Ruth, Grace,Cora , Clara, etc...

Boys still overwhelmingly end with the letter N 

Edited by louisa05
  • Upvote 5

40 minutes ago, Irishy said:

Somebody mentioned Caitlin as an unusual spelling. Cáitlín is the Irish for Kathleen, pronounced Cotch Leen. Wonder if it derived from that and pronunciation changed in translation.

That was me. I didn't think Caitlin itself was an unusual spelling; I did say that there are other unusual spellings, and I've transcribed many of them into school records.

Catelynn, Katelynn, Katelynne, Caitlyn, Kate Lynn,  Catlin, Kate-Lynn, nd so on...

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, viii said:

I work at a school and see a lot of pop culture names. The worst was Renesmee Swan Smith though. 

I know a family who adopted a Renesmee. They did change her name. I'm not sure I would have done that (it was something her birth mom gave to her) but then again, it is an awful name and could be a burden to have (and feel more like something her birth mom did to her).

• Upvote 4

I know someone who named their son Cullen Edward.

I would love it if a fundie inadvertently gave their child a pop culture name like that. Maybe Tori Bates' next boy could be Kullen Edward.

• Haha 10

The only Madison I ”know” is Madison Sinclair from Veronica Mars and she was a b*tch. The only Addison I can think of is the one in Grey’s Anatomy and she was pretty cool before she moved to that other show. Let’s hope this Addison gets the chance to be a doctor too. Or anything she wants. 

Or maybe it’s easier to hope that she actually wants to be a sistermum, wife, homemaker and mother. :sad-pacing:

Edited by Iamtheway
The word doctor disapeared. Guess the page knew how impossible it was.
  • Upvote 2
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Irishy said:

In Ireland, naming girls what would be considered surnames (Addison, Taylor, Mackenzie, etc.) is considered a bit tacky. But it happens. It would be the equivalent of Americans using kry8tiv spelling. Naming trends here are a little boring if anything.

And Aidan made so popular by SATC was always an old man’s name when I was a kid.

That might have been me. I didn’t mean the spelling, but the actual name. I never knew anyone with that name before I named my daughter Caitlin in 1987. And the spelling Caitlin is the original spelling. My husband is from Ireland.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, nolongerIFBx said:

I know a family who adopted a Renesmee. They did change her name. I'm not sure I would have done that (it was something her birth mom gave to her) but then again, it is an awful name and could be a burden to have (and feel more like something her birth mom did to her).

I would wonder if birthmom was a 15yo, not whether she did it on purpose? I hope they changed it to Renée or Esmé to keep that connection.

• Upvote 3

Caitlin is a good example of anglicisation of names. 50 years ago, people would hear it, like it, and modify the spelling to suit the phonetics they’re used to, so we had a boom of Kathleen. These days, Kathleen is somebody’s mother, and people SEE it, like it, and modify the pronunciation to suit the phonetics they’re used to (Kate-linn). Or (more often) they hear it on a fellow English-speaker and continue the anglicised pronunciation when they use it. I’d say the vast majority of mothers and fathers of Caitlins don’t know it’s supposed to be pronounced more like Kathleen.

Ciara seems to be going the same way. Keira became the popularised spelling (thanks, Keira Knightley) for English speakers who want the Irish pronunciation, and Kee-AR-ah is starting to crop up amongst those who have stuck with the original spelling.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

14 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

The poor Twilight babies. I knew someone would name their baby Renesmee I wonder how many little girls got stuck with that name. 

Per the Social Security Administration, it hasn't cracked the top 1000 US girls' names in any given year since 2000. So while there definitely are some little girls with that name, at least there aren't a huge number of them!

https://www.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/babyname.cgi

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

There are 3 Florences in my daughter's class at school. It's a lovely name, but 3 in one class is a lot! 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, bal maiden said:

There are 3 Florences in my daughter's class at school. It's a lovely name, but 3 in one class is a lot! 

Wow!!  My aunt’s name was Florence. 

3 hours ago, Screamapillar said:

I know someone who named their son Cullen Edward.

I would love it if a fundie inadvertently gave their child a pop culture name like that. Maybe Tori Bates' next boy could be Kullen Edward.

Cullen is a the name of a Scottish town and has been used as a name for boys though not common. 

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

That was me. I didn't think Caitlin itself was an unusual spelling; I did say that there are other unusual spellings, and I've transcribed many of them into school records.

Catelynn, Katelynn, Katelynne, Caitlyn, Kate Lynn,  Catlin, Kate-Lynn, nd so on...

The name gift that keeps on giving.  I've also seen it spelled as Kaitlin, Kaitlyn, Kaetlan, Katelyn, Kaytlyn, Katlin, Katlyn, Caytlin, and Kaytlin.   If I were to ever use that name, I would spell it "Caitlin", the original way.  No khreeaytyve spelling.   

To me, Katlin, Catlin, and Katlyn look like they should be pronounced "Cat-Lynn", not "Kate-Lynn".    

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, HeartsAFundie said:

The name gift that keeps on giving.  I've also seen it spelled as Kaitlin, Kaitlyn, Kaetlan, Katelyn, Kaytlyn, Katlin, Katlyn, Caytlin, and Kaytlin.   If I were to ever use that name, I would spell it "Caitlin", the original way.  No khreeaytyve spelling.   

To me, Katlin, Catlin, and Katlyn look like they should be pronounced "Cat-Lynn", not "Kate-Lynn".    

I quite like the idea of those spellings being "Cat-Lynn" myself but as said child would forever be miscalled "Kate-Lynn" so what's the point. 

My birth name is forever being mispronounced because people can't get it through their head that the PH makes an F sound and they pronounce them individually. Then they sometimes say "Oh what a creative spelling" when it's really not, it's literally one of the most common variants of the word. I gave up going by my birth name long ago and stick to the Russian variant which is spelled like it sounds.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, louisa05 said:

The movie Splash. 

Yes. My sister and I were obsessed with this movie when we were kids and we watched it all the time. My sister was probably 5 when she decided she was going to have a little girl named Madison one day, and now she does. Our Madison is much younger than most now who are teens, but that's ok. The father wanted to go with a kree-ay-tiv spelling that would not have made sense, so I'm glad my sister put her foot down about that!

Also I feel dumb asking but how is Reneesmee (sp?) pronounced? I'm assuming it's from Twilight? (which I've never seen).

Also I love the name Caitlin. Also I should be working and not reading Duggar threads!

• Upvote 4

I remember when one of my kids was in  preschool, There was a John Z, a John W, a John E, and a John B. And a Johnny. In a class of 20. Then there were two Emmas and an Emily or two.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

I remember when one of my kids was in  preschool, There was a John Z, a John W, a John E, and a John B. And a Johnny. In a class of 20. Then there were two Emmas and an Emily or two.

I absolutely love the name John!

• I Agree 2

2 hours ago, HeartsAFundie said:

The worst one was the Australian couple who spelt it KVIIIlyn, they used the Roman numerals for eight for the ait bit of the name, I was hoping this was an urban myth like La-a and the twins called orange and lemon Jello but no true story. 

• Upvote 5
  • WTF 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Four is Enough said:

Wow!  My sister’s elementary school grade had a ton of Michael’s. I think like 10 of them 5 were in 1 class. My class only had 2. Our first cousin is named Michael their were 2 others in his class, they were know as Michael B,G,& L their entire school years. 

2 hours ago, HeartsAFundie said:

My hairdresser is a Catlin, pronounced as ‘Cat-Lynn.’

• Upvote 1

Someone jumping into this thread to swear up and down that their aunt was a nurse and totally 100% saw twin babies named Orangejello and Lemonjello in 3... 2... 1...

• Upvote 5
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • Haha 8

4 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Someone jumping into this thread to swear up and down that their aunt was a nurse and totally 100% saw twin babies named Orangejello and Lemonjello in 3... 2... 1...

I totally remember someone posting this. 

• I Agree 2

56 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Wasn't that story in Freakonomics? I remember reading that in my Sociology class.

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic