IGNORED

Dillards 78: Taste the Rainbow

Georgiana

42 minutes ago, lumpentheologie said:

When I was teaching at a university I asked my students to call me by my first name, but I told them if they were uncomfortable with that they could call me Ms. Lastname, and there were always a few who did that.  Also some of them always ignored what I said and just called me "Professor," which was not accurate (I was a grad student teaching my own classes) but undergrads often think anyone who's teaching them is a professor. 

It's interesting to hear that people still go by Miss/Mrs. Lastname.  I don't know a single woman who goes by anything other than Ms. (unless it's Dr./Prof.) and I thought the older forms were dying out.  I really dislike being called both Miss (seems infantilizing) and Ma'am (seems like you're calling me old).  I wish there were a more neutral term not related to age or marital status.  I recently got a Big Gay Haircut, and when I was ordering at a New York deli the guy behind the counter called me Boss, which I'd never been called before, and had only ever heard men be called.  I liked it, though. 

The du/Sie distinction in German is really a minefield.  In German class we were taught to use Sie with all adults who weren't our fellow students. But this provides no guidance after you're student-aged, and I've recently discovered that some people are offended if you use Sie with them outside of a work setting because it implies that they're old/uptight/uncool. I recently had to take a package to my upstairs neighbors and agonized for a while about whether I should say Sie to them or not. They're my age (mid/late 30s) but they're also the only people in the building with children and they're pretty uptight (they regularly leave passive-agressive notes in the hallway admonishing the rest of us to behave better).  I finally decided that I wouldn't use Sie as a semi-protest against their superiority complex, but it turns out they're on vacation so the whole thing was for nothing. ?

Not picking on you you, but it's funny you say that about calling grad students professor.

It's the norm community colleges (not sure about universities) to call instructors regardless of their educational background professor.

• Upvote 3

I grew up in a convent so all my teachers were called Sister Mary .........plus some saints name. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 7

29 minutes ago, Dreadcrumbs said:

Not picking on you you, but it's funny you say that about calling grad students professor.

It's the norm community colleges (not sure about universities) to call instructors regardless of their educational background professor.

In Australian universities, only the head of each department is a Professor (there are also Associate Professors, but most staff are Lecturers or Senior Lecturers). All other instructors are “Dr <surname>”  in formal contexts (assuming they have a PhD, which you’d be hard pressed to find a full time job teaching at university without) and in most classroom situations, just called by their first names. 

There was a senior lecturer at my university who used to sign things, including our marked assessments, with her initials “KAOS”. We called her “chaos”.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 2

At both College and University here we call the lecturer by their first name regardless of their status. 

• Upvote 8

1 minute ago, Glasgowghirl said:

At both College and University here we call the lecturer by their first name regardless of their status. 

Ooft. At Strathy quite a few of my lecturers demanded Ms, Mrs or Mr. The nicest of them were on first name basis. The worst was our music education lecturer. He was strict with the name stuff, and he went fucking LIVID at me after I sent him an email informing that I'm unable to attend a lecture due to a sudden doctor's appointment. Ripped me a new one for not requesting his acceptance for this appointment. Kinda contradicts with how we were told that our health always comes first...

• WTF 6

So is Wreck really just sitting around doing nothing all summer? Summer internships are crucial in law school and we haven’t heard a peep about one. Initially I thought this meant they’d be going on a new missioncation but summer is quickly going by at this point and we haven’t heard anything on that front either. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4

21 minutes ago, finnlassie said:

Ooft. At Strathy quite a few of my lecturers demanded Ms, Mrs or Mr. The nicest of them were on first name basis. The worst was our music education lecturer. He was strict with the name stuff, and he went fucking LIVID at me after I sent him an email informing that I'm unable to attend a lecture due to a sudden doctor's appointment. Ripped me a new one for not requesting his acceptance for this appointment. Kinda contradicts with how we were told that our health always comes first...

Sounds like a horrible lecturer, all of mine at Motherwell College then UWS have been friendly and approachable. At college I had to get 3 buses in which was crazy because a few years previously there was a bus that went from Glasgow to Motherwell that went through my hometown and it stopped 10 minutes away from the college, I often had to email them saying I was running late because if one bus was late, you'd miss the connecting bus and have to wait.

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, Glasgowghirl said:

Sounds like a horrible lecturer, all of mine at Motherwell College then UWS have been friendly and approachable. At college I had to get 3 buses in which was crazy because a few years previously there was a bus that went from Glasgow to Motherwell that went through my hometown and it stopped 10 minutes away from the college, I often had to email them saying I was running late because if one bus was late, you'd miss the connecting bus and have to wait. 

!!!! I almost went to Motherwell college to do a year in HNC musical theatre (back around 2012)! But I got to Strathy so skipped that. Now I kinda regret not going but oh well. And yeah. I'm not gonna state exactly where, but my ex's village was nearby Larkhall. That was the closest public transport connection spot, basically, and my ex went to uni from his village all his uni years. Lots of driving, lots of trains... At least trains from Larkhall weren't that scarce, but you still had to prepare for delays.

Edited by finnlassie
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

Back in 1971 I took my great great Auntie to this little store, Auntie was 90 yrs old and a retired Osteopath, even at 90 she could break your neck with one hand if she was so inclined.  This one guy, a hippie with no shirt, no shoes and lots of long hair and love beads called her Mom.  She never married or had kids.  She ripped him a new one, I was a little embarrassed but so proud of her, she was one in a million. I still think of that poor guy, he didn’t know what hit him.

So here’s Derick out on a Nepal date night.  My manners can be less than stellar at times but then I don’t post the boring details of my life on the Net.  Maybe his mouth hurts or something from braces coming off? 

Hide contents

2485D705-2C27-4005-BF13-A6E43AB7821C.thumb.jpeg.df8b7352b292919d29d70b490403aece.jpeg

Is he picking his teeth? Why would Jill post this picture?  His eyes are half closed FFS. Just because there's a momo is the photo, don't be disrespectful and tag this as "nepalifood"!

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, finnlassie said:

!!!! I almost went to Motherwell college to do a year in HNC musical theatre (back around 2012)! But I got to Strathy so skipped that. Now I kinda regret not going but oh well. And yeah. I'm not gonna state exactly where, but my ex's village was nearby Larkhall. That was the closest public transport connection spot, basically, and my ex went to uni from his village all his uni years. Lots of driving, lots of trains... At least trains from Larkhall weren't that scarce, but you still had to prepare for delays.

My sister's boyfriend worked in Larkhall before the train station at Larkhall opened and before he could drive. He needed to get a bus into Hamilton then one to Larkhall and because it was two different bus companies he had to buy two tickets or a zone card that was expensive, he ended up getting another job that was easier to get to.

• Upvote 2

My dad told me that his mediocre college had a minority of instructors with PhDs, who insisted on being called Doctor. Then he went to grad school and quickly discovered that full professors want to be called professor, not doctor. 

• Upvote 4

On 7/9/2019 at 4:13 PM, onekidanddone said:

has the bigger one for his radios (ham guy)

I have one of those too!  Wires and antennas all over the property--good thing I live in the woods with no neighbors :)

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

20 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

That's different than my situation, as the nurse just met this woman when I have known my 93 year old friend's mother since I was a child.  When my mother was in the nursing home, everyone called her Mrs. ___, that seemed to be the protocol. I like it. Once when I took my mom to get glasses, the very young person behind the counter who we had never seen before referred to my mother by her first name and I was livid (mom was chill because she rolled like that).  As in the quoted text, she should have asked before assuming that level of familiarity with an 80 year old woman.  In my culture, that's just not acceptable.

This discussion has been interesting and is making me think.  While I don't generally use ma'am or sir, I think that I probably am more formal than I believed.  I would be upset like you were if someone like counter-boy called my elderly mom by her first name.  That said, I also get irritated when a doctor calls me by my first name---does that give me permission  to call them by their first name?

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

Due to new protocol my primary care provider is supposed to ask me for my full name and birthday every time I come in.

This is a silly process.

He forgets every time. So we start talking about whatever and five minutes later he inevitably interrupts me with a sheepish grin and says I have to ask you to identify yourself...

So. Awkward. Every time.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, TheMustardCardigan said:

So is Wreck really just sitting around doing nothing all summer? Summer internships are crucial in law school and we haven’t heard a peep about one. Initially I thought this meant they’d be going on a new missioncation but summer is quickly going by at this point and we haven’t heard anything on that front either. 

I guess it is plausible that he has one, they know of his reputation and told him to be mum on the topic because they don't want controversy. Even most christian firms/groups probably wouldn't want Derick's controversy.

• Upvote 6

My inorganic chemistry professor at Furman  was called by all us students KM.  His full name is Dr Noel Kane-Maguire. He was /is from Queensland.  He had a twin brother Leon Kane Maguire who was also a chemistry professor in Australia.  The KM brothers were chiral* (mirror image) twins and Noel is left-handed and his brother was right-handed.  

@onekidanddone and @xlurker, my parents were both hams as is my brother.  My dad got his license first and them my mom got hers.  They always has license plates on their cars with the call letters.  I wish I still had the plates.  

* As far as I know, mirror image twins are not usually referred to as chiral, but since chirality in chemistry refers to compounds which are mirror images of one another, I think it's fitting to use it for the KM twins.

Edited by PennySycamore
  • Upvote 9
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

My inorganic chemistry professor at Furman  was called by all us students KM.  His full name is Dr Noel Kane-Maguire. He was /is from Queensland.  He had a twin brother Leon Kane Maguire who was also a chemistry professor in Australia.  The KM brothers were chiral* (mirror image) twins and Noel is left-handed and his brother was right-handed.  

@onekidanddone and @xlurker, my parents were both hams as is my brother.  My dad got his license first and them my mom got hers.  They always has license plates on their cars with the call letters.  I wish I still had the plates.  

* As far as I know, mirror image twins are not usually referred to a chiral, but since chirality in chemistry refers to compounds which are mirror images of one another, I think it's fitting to use it for the KM twins.

Mr. OneKid has a vanity plate and it kinda spells out a word. if you don’t look to close it is easy to mistake a letter for a number 

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, WineGlass said:

And Noel is the mirror image of Leon! (Spelling I mean)

I think it's funny that the brothers were named that and they turned out to be mirror image twins.  The mirror image part would not have been evident at birth.  

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

My dad told me that his mediocre college had a minority of instructors with PhDs, who insisted on being called Doctor. Then he went to grad school and quickly discovered that full professors want to be called professor, not doctor. 

There are some cultural issues at play here. In the UK, Professor is a rank roughly equivalent to Full Professor in the USA. Only faculty at the rank of Professor are entitled to be called Professor in the UK; otherwise it's Dr. . In the US, professor and doctor are sometimes used interchangeably; some institutions prefer Prof and some prefer Dr., usually based on tradition or institutional culture; some even use Mr. or Ms.. Similarly, some institutions have undergraduates use first names for their instructors and some use titles. Graduate students usually address faculty by their first names, as graduate students are considered junior colleagues. (But when I teach undergraduates, I always refer to my colleagues by their titles.)

Females holding doctorates in the academy are often not treated with the respect they deserve by both students and colleagues due to their gender, so women academics are more likely to insist upon the use of Dr. or Prof. as a form of address to reinforce that respect: think about how female medical doctors are often mistaken for nurses.

And of course, there's always the possibility of confusion between a medical doctor and a PhD, so some academics prefer Prof. due to that! Never put Dr. as your title on an airplane if you're not ready to help in a medical emergency.

It all comes down to the basic rule of politeness: call other people what they'd like to be called!

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

I just finished my grad degree and during both my undergrad and grad, if a professor had a doctorate, we always called them Dr. Their Last Name, and if they had a masters, they were Professor Their Last Name. No one ever had to insist on being called Dr. or Professor but a couple professors I had without a doctorate would correct students that called them Dr. since they technically weren’t one. 

• Upvote 5

16 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

I think it's funny that the brothers were named that and they turned out to be mirror image twins.  The mirror image part would not have been evident at birth.  

It might have been. A friend of mine has identical twin boys and you can tell from their newborn photos that their very slightly asymmetrical faces are mirrored 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

• samurai_sarah locked this topic