IGNORED

Dillards 78: Taste the Rainbow

Georgiana

13 minutes ago, MiddleAgedLady said:

I bet they don’t have a basement or an attic to store all those tubs. Some parts of that area of the country can’t have basements because of rock. 

Yeah there are like no basements in California. I've heard many reasons for this, but the most plausible one seems to be that houses are built with basements to prevent shifting in the winter, which is not a problem in most of California. And I guess it's just cheaper to not build one.

It was a weird transition, our house in New Jersey had a full basement and walk up attic, but my parents house in California has no basement and only a crawl space for an attic. So much less storage space.

• Upvote 6

2 minutes ago, TuringMachine said:

Yeah there are like no basements in California. I've heard many reasons for this, but the most plausible one seems to be that houses are built with basements to prevent shifting in the winter, which is not a problem in most of California. And I guess it's just cheaper to not build one.

It was a weird transition, our house in New Jersey had a full basement and walk up attic, but my parents house in California has no basement and only a crawl space for an attic. So much less storage space.

Another reason is the time period and the way in which many houses in California were built!  Older buildings in California are not infrequently equipped with basements.  I went to school in Southern CA on a historic campus, and all of the older buildings including the residence halls had spaces below ground level.  Similarly, many of the super old homes in the area also had basement spaces.

But the vast majority of homes in CA were built post-WWII.  That's when CA really got it's boom.  And home construction in that era can be described in two words: tract housing.  Tract housing can be awesome, actually, and it lead to the development of what we now recognize as the very trendy California Mid Century style, but basements were generally left out because they were expensive to build and not feasible in all cases.  Plus, there was no need to dig down to be below the frost line for footings like there is elsewhere in the country, so they were an added expense in CA that was unnecessary and could make porting the design more difficult.   Naturally, most home developers nixed them and opted instead to go the cheaper route and design homes without basements that could basically be erected whenever.  Culturally, people also feared the possibility of getting trapped in their basement in case of an earthquake...though the science on this was probably not sound.  But the end result was that barely anyone had a basement in CA after the midcentury boom.  

Nowadays, while all concerns with basements in CA have basically been abated due to technological advancements, they still aren't popular if only because people feel somewhat weird about being the only ones with a basement.  

• Thank You 11

On 7/8/2019 at 1:03 PM, meee said:

OMG. I forgot about Derick's bun.

#dersorklookscreepywithamanbun

• Upvote 2

Sir and ma'am is regional I think. Our son refers to other adults as sir and ma'am and we are daddy and mama. However I do think it goes both ways and we refer to our son as sir to out of respect. We don't require it all the time but if you are asking a favor, making an apology, or something else that should infer that you want to show "extra" respect we encourage him to say ma'am and sir and sometimes he uses it for random stuff. We use sir when we correct him to out of respect that he is still a person but we still need to guide him. For example "No thank you sir, you may not hit the dog. Gentle hands". I don't think too much of it. That said he is almost 2 so he confuses who to use ma'am and sir with but no one has every really cared. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

I think the office makes sense...front of the house..if it was a bedroom- cars and lights would possibly disturb a person as they were trying to rest.

basements aren’t overly common in Arkansas..and are rare in new builds. Usually attic space(that’s more than a crawl space) comes with a two story.

i Agree that her concrete slab is a “porch” must be a regional thing. 

The furniture layout and design is awkward...her living room is boxed off by the placement of the couches. 

I don’t think it’s a big deal to room the boys together. They prob have always been together and don’t want to be apart. But replace big chair with a glider. Take all unnecessary furniture and toys out..

put up a twin bed in spare room, put all toys, school stuff in there. Looking at you-bookshelf in living room ? 

they do seem to have a lot of extra stuff...maybe they’ve just never went through their stuff since they were abroad a large chunk of their 5 years. Coming from a family who not only has a huge building of “extras” but also each individual kid didn’t get to have a lot of personal property; it’s possible it’s hard for her to part with stuff for several reasons. 

at the end of the day, her house was clean, they had food, and her kids seem to enjoy freedom to roam and explore. Worse things going on in many homes across the world. 

• Upvote 19

6 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

I don't understand why there's a giant chair in the boys room. There's hardly any room in there and it's practically in the middle of the room. It's unnecessary. 

I'm  guessings it's so Derdick can feel important while reading preachy bedtime stories to his sons.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 4

The "sir" and "ma'am" is definitely regional. It is also required in some schools in certain regions. When people where I'm from hear it they usually try not to laugh.

When a teenage relative moved to the south she said "yes" to a "teacher" and ensued what sounds like an Abbott and Costello routine because the teacher kept demanding "yes what?" and the kid had no idea what she was talking about.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 6
  • Love 1

The Duggars said in their original book that they told the kids to call them sir and ma’am. It’s noticeable that they almost never did it on the show. I don’t know if they didn’t succeed in getting the kids to say it, or if Figure 8/TLC thought it was weird and edited it out.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

I'm  guessings it's so Derdick can feel important while reading preachy bedtime stories to his sons.

*While Sam tries to escape and Izzy listens because he's finally getting attention.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

Looking at the video I don't see the problem with the boys room and them sharing.  At their ages the boys probably feel more secure sharing a room (particularly if Jill and Derick don't particularly want them in their room).  The guest room is probably the one that can fit that blow up bed easily.  There could also be a blow up bed in there due to cost issues and/or it is temporary until the boys are older at which point they may invest in other beds.

Assuming they don't have other kids then the boys can easily have separate rooms later.  At their age they are likely to be playing in central areas that they can be kept an eye on so they don't need a lot of personal space that an emptier bedroom would require.

• Upvote 8

The Dillard’s house looks nice enough and way more room than when Jill was a little girl. How far is it from her family home and Derick’s university? 

• Upvote 5

13 hours ago, MiddleAgedLady said:

I bet they don’t have a basement or an attic to store all those tubs. Some parts of that area of the country can’t have basements because of rock. 

Most homes in the south don't have basements because of the water table and the rocky land that makes it nearly impossible to have a basement. 

As for Derrick getting the bigger bedroom for his office, that is the ultimate in selfishness, even my overly self centered BIL took the smallest of the 4 bedrooms for his office, so his kids could have the 2 same sized bedrooms. We have basements here, and my nephew who is 8 has a bedroom in the basement, their are 3 on the main floor and one down stairs, they did ask him if he wanted a bedroom downstairs and he was like "OH YEAH, the basement is my man cave" that boy is hilarious. If he wasn't ready for a basement bedroom they would have given him the little room upstairs until he was ready to go down stairs. 

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Most homes in the south don't have basements because of the water table and the rocky land that makes it nearly impossible to have a basement. 

As for Derrick getting the bigger bedroom for his office, that is the ultimate in selfishness, even my overly self centered BIL took the smallest of the 4 bedrooms for his office, so his kids could have the 2 same sized bedrooms. We have basements here, and my nephew who is 8 has a bedroom in the basement, their are 3 on the main floor and one down stairs, they did ask him if he wanted a bedroom downstairs and he was like "OH YEAH, the basement is my man cave" that boy is hilarious. If he wasn't ready for a basement bedroom they would have given him the little room upstairs until he was ready to go down stairs.  

From a practical point of view that bedroom that is the study is the more appropriate study location though.  The other two bedrooms are near the bathroom in a corridor area.  I can see the current arrangements as being somewhat temporary until the kids are a bit older (barring other children coming along).

• Upvote 7

17 hours ago, LacyMay said:

One thing I did notice early on in the video is she corrects Israel to respond with "Yes Maam" to her. I hope this is a regional thing and not a sign that she's emulating her parents parenting style. The whole "instant obedience" thing makes me uncomfortable. 

Thai is very much a Southern thing, as someone who grew up in the South. I was always taught that Ma’am and Sir were names of respect for people. I was also taught that everyone older than me, like my parents’ friends were Mrs. or Mr. Their First Name. I can still remember referring to one of my stepmom’s friends as her first name and how quickly she reprimanded me for not saying Mrs. before her name. I also didn’t learn that it was a regional thing until middle school when a friend’s mom, who was from Boston, informed me that in the North, ma’am was only used for old people, if it was used at all, and that I was to call her by her first name only, no Mrs. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

11 hours ago, Daisy0322 said:

Sir and ma'am is regional I think. Our son refers to other adults as sir and ma'am and we are daddy and mama. However I do think it goes both ways and we refer to our son as sir to out of respect. We don't require it all the time but if you are asking a favor, making an apology, or something else that should infer that you want to show "extra" respect we encourage him to say ma'am and sir and sometimes he uses it for random stuff. We use sir when we correct him to out of respect that he is still a person but we still need to guide him. For example "No thank you sir, you may not hit the dog. Gentle hands". I don't think too much of it. That said he is almost 2 so he confuses who to use ma'am and sir with but no one has every really cared. 

I grew up in the midwest (for the most part) and now live in the south. I struggle sometimes with thinking that I'm coming off rude, because I'll forget to say sir or ma'am when speaking to a superior at work or a person older than myself. It just wasn't culturally used in the region where I grew up, and it's sometimes hard for me to remember to do it.

At work, my kids call me Miss Viola. [Obviously not my real name, but for illustration purposes.]

Edited by ViolaSebastian
  • Upvote 6

9 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I grew up in the midwest (for the most part) and now live in the south. I struggle sometimes with thinking that I'm coming off rude, because I'll forget to say sir or ma'am when speaking to a superior at work or a person older than myself. It just wasn't culturally used in the region where I grew up, and it's sometimes hard for me to remember to do it.

At work, my kids call me Miss Viola. [Obviously not my real name, but for illustration purposes.]

I grew up in a part of Florida that isn't very culturally southern and I don't use sir/ma'am, and I don't think I've been seen as rude for not doing so even though I now live in a more culturally southern area.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Dreadcrumbs said:

I grew up in a part of Florida that isn't very culturally southern and I don't use sir/ma'am, and I don't think I've been seen as rude for not doing so even though I now live in a more culturally southern area.

Oh, to be clear, no one has ever called me out on it, I just have anxiety that I'm being seen as rude. 

• Love 8

2 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Oh, to be clear, no one has ever called me out on it, I just have anxiety that I'm being seen as rude. 

I've felt like this once or twice since I moved. I notice more people here use sir/ma'am. I just shrug it off because I'm not the only transplant and if the more culturally southern than I have a problem, that's their problem.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 2

19 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I love that "name" Miss Viola 

Edited by nst
  • Love 3

I think that Israel would really have benefited from some sort of pre-school. It wouldn't have had to be super $$, she could have found something that's like 3 days a week for just the morning. Many churches where I live have something like that available at pretty low cost. But he would have gotten attention, socialization and she would have had a break. Same goes for Sam. Or at least get them out once or twice a week to something like soccer, swimming lessons, free library tot reading classes or whatever.

My impression is that she's miserable stuck in the house with the two young kids all day. Derick is at school or some sort of work/internship based on his attire lately and she's in a fairly small house, with a crappy yard. It's lonely and mentally hard to manage.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 15
  • Love 1

Ok, is it time for a small FJ break??? Cuz I had a dream where I was chaperoning Jill & Durk's date and it was so bad.

• Haha 19

8 minutes ago, AtlanticTug said:

I think that Israel would really have benefited from some sort of pre-school. It wouldn't have had to be super $$, she could have found something that's like 3 days a week for just the morning. Many churches where I live have something like that available at pretty low cost. But he would have gotten attention, socialization and she would have had a break. Same goes for Sam. Or at least get them out once or twice a week to something like soccer, swimming lessons, free library tot reading classes or whatever.

My impression is that she's miserable stuck in the house with the two young kids all day. Derick is at school or some sort of work/internship based on his attire lately and she's in a fairly small house, with a crappy yard. It's lonely and mentally hard to manage.

I think it would benefit them, even compared to their cousin's they are not mixing with other children. Even if they just went to a class or activity once or twice a week it would get them mixing with children and Jill gets to talk with other adults for an hour.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

Didn't Derrick do scouts? Sam could probably start that a year from now. Five years old is also about the youngest you could start t-ball or soccer.

Cross Church website is down, but I believe they have a kids program and it looks like on facebook that they've been doing VBS this week. It's possible they could have a mother's day out type coop thing. 

We might also just not see socializing that's going on because not every person wants to be in a staged pic for a public instagram with hundreds of thousands of followers. 

• Upvote 3

I grew up in Upstate NY but was raised by a southern mother so we very much did the Miss and Mr. thing when referring to my parents friends. My kids have been taught the same thing. Not a lot of people do it here but I haven't run into anyone who was offended by it outwardly. Also my friends have kind of adapted the same rules with their kids I've noticed. 

• Upvote 3

• samurai_sarah locked this topic