IGNORED

Carlin & Evan 5 - Carlin Is Still Engaged?

HerNameIsBuffy

Just now, mysweetetc said:

I know I can't be the only one who finds the little boys' signs tacky as hell, right? The last one says something about being the "groom's competition." Maybe I just lack humor, but these are the same people who would be aghast at showing girls' shoulders... and they're okay with sexualizing their boys that way?

Do you feel like for the boys they apply female logic and for the girls they apply male logic? 

i.e. Young boys = females think future husbands; Young girls = males think future sex mates.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

47 minutes ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

Very big difference, IMHO, and as such in this case I agree with Carlin; she can always get a different degree or choose whichever field, but Evan is the first and last person she'll ever choose to spend her entire life with, thus it is the biggest and most defining day of her life.

I believe people get the right to say what is the biggest day of their life, but often saying it so young is an premature action. What if becoming a mother is subsequently the best day of her life? What if she buys a home and feels that way or become CEO of Bates boutique gone public or something? The fact that Erin feels comfortable making that statement about someone other than herself speaks value here. Carlin may later find days bigger than this one. But she has been raised to think marriage should be her most major accomplishment.

Furthermore, we do not know if Evan is the last person on which she will choose to spend her all. She doesn't even know that. Even withing the confines of her religious beliefs that may not be true. In my opinion, that is such a dangerous thing to conclude even if we hope for the sake of their happiness it is true.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
  • I Agree 1

[I deleted my post because I have come to see it as a moot point. Everyone is entitled to their own perspective.]

Edited by TatiFish9
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, TatiFish9 said:

EVERYTHING we know about these people comes from a one dimensional projected source.

No it isn't.  We know plenty about Gil and Kelly Bates based on Gothard court records and testimony of his victims that they helped cover up.

We know lots about the Duggars from police victim statements.

It's not all fanfic based on carefully edited media.

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 7

@HerNameIsBuffy I shouldn't have said these people. I should have specified Gen 2 because that is who we are talking about in regards to "breaking free".

Yes we know they come from a cult. That is standard. 

I am saying how do we really know what they're doing except for what they allow us to see and a few slip ups here and there? 

My point is we're all speculating about Gen 2's  *beliefs* not their criminal activity. If anything, their crimimal activity should prove we thought we knew one thing and something else was going on once it was revealed. My point exactly.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TatiFish9 said:

@VBOY9977 @HurricaneBells

I just checked. Bella turned 6 in April. Braelyn turned 7 in January. Callie will be 10 in August. I am shocked that Braelyn is taller than Callie at 7. Also, this child in question does not look like Callie, but based on who is listed as flower girls, pictured with the family and the fair hair, who could it be but Callie??

@TatiFish9 I was just coming to say the same things lol. Poor @VBOY9977 was completely right to begin with. I googled her picture and she is a mini josie now, she doesnt look like the callie in my head.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

3 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

I don't like Carlin's dress. Long sleeves for an outdoor wedding in late May in the south? Nope. I don't like long formal bridesmaids dresses for an outdoor venue in late spring on a hot day.

Jessa Seewald's wedding dress is still the one to beat for me. And Abbie Duggar's bridesmaid dresses.

These are still my favorite fundie bridesmaid dresses (from the Bontranger double wedding in 2017).  And I'm not just saying that because I own this dress and I love it!

IMG_4056.thumb.JPG.3a381b70d4c5fb682776cedf25f6aac9.JPG

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, HurricaneBells said:

@TatiFish9 I was just coming to say the same things lol. Poor @VBOY9977 was completely right to begin with. I googled her picture and she is a mini josie now, she doesnt look like the callie in my head.

I know! This must be quite emotional for her. She gets new sister moms, then they leave. I wonder how this will affect her in the long run being one of the youngest.

• Upvote 2

Carlin loves kids, working with kids, and teaching kids. No, her kids won’t go to public school. I don’t see ANY of the current Bates’ grandkids going to public school. It is easier to homeschool now than it has ever been.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 3

@onyourwayhome

I agree.

I think this family has some disguised libertarian values. Anything associated with the ebil government, including public school - is a no to them. 

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, onyourwayhome said:

Carlin loves kids, working with kids, and teaching kids. No, her kids won’t go to public school. I don’t see ANY of the current Bates’ grandkids going to public school. It is easier to homeschool now than it has ever been.

I could see Whitney sending her kids to either public school or private. She wasn’t home schooled and may have had a good experience. Whitney also works two part time jobs. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

Holy moly- that must have been a serious tanning job. Carlin always had a more tanned colouring than her siblings (same goes for Michael) but wow. She must have fallen in the self tanner tin. In the picture with Erin it’s the most obvious. Especially her cleavage. I cannot imagine she got that through sunbathing as there are no visible lines but than self tanner often gives a more orange colouring. I am intrigued. 

Apart from that - I have to say I truly like the look of her wedding (the location looks too much badly executed  wannabe-Italy to me but whatever). It’s definitely more contemporary than I expected. It’s a good example for the generic wedding for this time. That is not an insult by the way. Pastels, naked cake, gown with sleeves, lace and a bit see through- it’s modern but not too trendy. It’s like the strapless gowns around 2010. Pretty but also pretty standard. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

7 hours ago, TatiFish9 said:

@HerNameIsBuffy I shouldn't have said these people. I should have specified Gen 2 because that is who we are talking about in regards to "breaking free".

Yes we know they come from a cult. That is standard. 

I am saying how do we really know what they're doing except for what they allow us to see and a few slip ups here and there? 

My point is we're all speculating about Gen 2's  *beliefs* not their criminal activity. If anything, their crimimal activity should prove we thought we knew one thing and something else was going on once it was revealed. My point exactly.

Except we do see it. Many of gen 2 are attending Big Sandy. Like I said before, they are marrying young and having more kids. They are marrying approved men. There is more evidence they are staying in the cult than anyone leaving.

Edited by nelliebelle1197
  • Upvote 19
  • I Agree 2

7 hours ago, TatiFish9 said:

My point is we're all speculating about Gen 2's  *beliefs*

Except when they tell us they vote for religious extremists and monsters like Trump who panders to fundamentalist Christians. We can also know that they allow their pictures and the pictures of their children to be used to draw in visitor to the yearly conference. So they can't think IBLP is too awful. They have also continued the family tradition of exploiting children for money by having their kids on reality television.  Several of them marry into families who are deep into IBLP and everyone else either married a fundie or married someone who converted. 

People really need to drop the idea that fundies(even IBLP fundies) are only people who look and act like the Duggars/Bates did years ago. That was never the case and really, really isn't the case now. Exploring FJ really shows the diversity in fundies and also the trend to drop the crazy look and appear mainstream. 

ETA: They also all appear to be attending fundamental Christian churches that teach awful, awful things. 

Edited by formergothardite
  • Upvote 23
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

Part of me wouldn’t be surprised if they got pregnant immediately because Carlin seems to be a keeping up with the Jones type gal. She probably wants to be there right with Josie, her other sisters. I could see her posts tons of bump shots and enjoying every drop of attention coming from pregnancy. 

Another part wouldn’t be surprised if they pulled a jinger and Jeremy. They both seem super  self absorbed and might want to focus on me me me  ( or us us us) for a least 6-9 months. Carlin surely knows babies are a lot of work from her sisters current little ones, plus being a sister mom all those years. I could see her being super dramatic and gagging over poop diapers. 

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1
  • I Agree 1

I’m guessing baby as soon as they are able to fall. I don’t know when that will be. But if they can fall tonight they will. That’s my prediction. 

Not that we will hear any of them say they are waiting... 

• Upvote 1

Evan.....must contain my boner i must not sweat. 

Second pic is me and I’ll add, I’m ginger. 

85582270-5F10-4374-AC1B-716E39487B23.png

4DD5942F-0859-461D-8332-3DCB2ECA3260.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

I don't like Carlin's dress. Long sleeves for an outdoor wedding in late May in the south? Nope. I don't like long formal bridesmaids dresses for an outdoor venue in late spring on a hot day.

Jessa Seewald's wedding dress is still the one to beat for me. And Abbie Duggar's bridesmaid dresses.

I just want to come out of lurkdom to say I actually wore those bridesmaid dresses first (lol). About a year ago there was and adult prom event (with the ebil alcohol, of course) at the Georgia Aquarium, and I found the dress at Macy’s and fell in love. I like to pretend Whitney and Abbie copied me ;) 

71CF381F-BFBB-41DD-9A52-8F2BB36BEC41.jpeg

• Upvote 9

Pretty wedding. I think all outdoor, summer brides should have a second plan for their hair if they want it down for ceremony/pictures. Unless you're naturally curly (in which case, the curls just get bigger in humidity!), those pretty curls will fall out. 

I have no idea how Carvan will live now, except that I know there will be a lot of pictures. I feel like she's going to post wedding pics on the regular for decades. 

If we are talking about 2nd gen breaking away, Zachney are my pick for most likely to go mainstream. They are financially independent, Whitney works outside the home even with young children, they have hinted at some family planning after Kaci, Zach is openly skeptical about some of his parent's mandates, and Whitney didn't grow up in it. That said, they are still close to home and spend a lot of time with the siblings who are still steeped in it. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

For those of you who don't often venture outside of the Duggar and Bates forums, I thought I'd give an example of a fundie family that looks more modern and completely un-frumpy, and yet they are still fundie as all get-out. May I present to you: Abbie Halberstadt, aka M is for Mama, aka misinformed mama, aka Braggie Abbie. Here is her Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/m.is.for.mama/ and her blog: www.misisformama.net.

Things that make Abbie look modern/"normal"/non-fundie at first glance:

• She wears pants, including ripped jeans and shorts, sleeveless tops and dresses, and even defrauding work-out clothes.
  • She teaches work-out classes at a local gym.
  • She went to a secular university and worked as a teacher for a few years, even after she had the first few kids.
  • She lets her kids participate in outside activities such as homeschool co-op, ballet classes (for the girls), and 4-H.

Now all of that may make you think "she sounds like a normal mom," and I'm pretty sure if a Duggar or Bates did any of those things, there would be pages upon pages written about how they are leaving fundamentalism (we're already seen it multiple times with the clothes discussion). But here is the reality:

• Abbie has way more kids than she wanted or can reasonably parent (she talks pretty openly about never wanting to be a mother), but continues to pop them out because Jesus.
  • She relies heavily on her two eldest kids, the oldest one (who just turned 13) in particular, to the point where she constantly calls him "third parent". For example, they are responsible for babysitting dozens of babies and young children when their mothers are at Abbie's house for her in-home exercise class.
  • She is really into child training and corporal punishment. "Spare the rod, spoil the child" and all of that. She also likes to spray "fuss juice" (some nasty vinegar and hot sauce concoction iirc) into her young childrens' mouths when they don't stop crying on command.
  • Even though both she and her husband went to college and he makes good money because of his degree, they don't see the need for their kids to go and thus refuse to support them in this endeavor.

Just thought I'd give an idea of what some of the other fundies we follow on this site look like, which can be very very different from the frumper-days Duggars and Bateses. Yet the sad truth is that, at their core, they all have one thing in common: They want to force their religious views on all of us and take away our right to decide how we want to live our lives.

If you want to join us in discussing Abbie, the current thread is here:

• Upvote 15
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 8
  • Love 6

Gather round boys and girls for NastyHobbitses to be a judgy bitch about Carlin's nuptials:

DRESS: LOVE the skirt and the lace detailing. Get rid of the belt, or at least the tulle rosette on it (and put it on a female baby's head because HOW ELSE WILL WE KNOW THAT THAT BABY HAS A VAGINA), and it's perfect. Carlin was extra af and I am so glad she was. 

HAIR: Carlin and Lauren both frustrate me by wearing their hair down when they have very detailed bodices on their dresses. It looks imbalanced, particularly on Carlin with the giant skirt, and it hides the pretty details of the dress. But I am jealous of Carlin's hair. Hair goals. 

BRIDESMAIDS: At first I was skeptical of the very mismatched dresses, but when they're standing all together it looks really nice and actually pretty cohesive because of the (very nice) color palette. It's like the inverse of Jinger's bridesmaid dresses. Also, oh hai shoulders. 

THOSE TACKY ASS RINGBEARER SIGNS: These people flip their shit about women's knees but see nothing wrong with making sex jokes about kindergarten-aged boys. Go figure. 

NAKED CAKE: Tbh I think naked cakes were invented because some baker didn't make enough buttercream and was like "fuck it we'll do it live". 

GUESTS: How is it that Jana, Anna, and Lauren have social lives that fucking revolve around weddings and STILL show up wearing white? 

• Upvote 19
  • Haha 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

Seems like Callie cried at the wedding. That poor girl it must be hard to keep losing her older sisters. I dont know how to attach the photo sorry, but you can see it at Lawson stories.

20 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

But I am jealous of Carlin's hair. Hair goals. 

Lol dont be jealous, she was wearing hair extensions. Very well placed ones by the way, because if i haven seen the hairdresser placing them i would never have thought it was not her real hair.

Edited by llucie
to add
  • Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, AussieKrissy said:

Evan.....must contain my boner i must not sweat. 

Second pic is me and I’ll add, I’m ginger. 

85582270-5F10-4374-AC1B-716E39487B23.png

4DD5942F-0859-461D-8332-3DCB2ECA3260.jpeg

He still has better hand placement than Kelton.

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

Out of curiosity, have there been other fundie spottings at this wedding?  I know that some of the Roberts’ were (Norma, Campbell) and Campana’s (Mariah). I also thought I saw Anastasia Salyer is the background of one of the dancing pics. 

I know that many weddings become a matching game (with respect to relationships) for fundies. At least this wedding was “only” 500 people so the possibilities were slightly limited.

(that was my attempt at written sarcasm, which I realized may not come through, hence, disclaimer)

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, TatiFish9 said:

@onyourwayhome

I agree.

I think this family has some disguised libertarian values. Anything associated with the ebil government, including public school - is a no to them. 

I kind of agree and kind of don't. Anti-government sentiment is indeed huge among fundies - orgs like the HSLDA have actively cultivated a paranoia about the state busting in and forcing you to stop hitting your kids/send your kids to heathen public school/give up your kids. (If you have time, google "sovereign citizen" for some WTF.)

However, I think that the Bateses are more interested in "restoring" the government to an imaginary Christian state that they believe was lost due to left-wing "corruption." The way that the older sons drool over law enforcement and everyone is very proud about voting in elections suggests that they believe in government as long as it's the way they like it: chauvinist, Dominionist, and upholding what they consider the natural hierarchies of race, gender, and religion.

(Not that this is incompatible with libertarianism - other families like the Botkins have blended sovereign citizen stuff with delusions of world domination easily.)

• Upvote 17

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic