IGNORED

Carlin & Evan 5 - Carlin Is Still Engaged?

HerNameIsBuffy

The site keeps crashing on me, but I find her gown absolutely gorgeous. I think she has an embellishment on the side that looks like a flower. I hope it doesn't change the overall look once it is seen fully. 

She moves to #1 spot for these fundie weddings, although I said Jessa's dress would remain there. Ha!

She seems to have gone with a pale pastel look for the bridesmaids. Because they all have the same length flowy bottoms, I think it works well despite the dresses being different style and select coloring.

Are all these dresses modest? 

ETA: for those who know materials well are the bottoms of the gowns Chiffon?

%E2%80%98Bringing-Up-Bates%E2%80%99-Star

Edited by TatiFish9
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

I agree that the dresses look more matched in the photo. But it is clearly it has a filter on. One of evans sister dress was purple and in that photo it looks pink.

Carlin dress is amazing, and i really like the bouquets. The flower crown is a bit meh but not terrible. Overall i think its better than Josies, specially the flowers so much better.

• Upvote 6

24 minutes ago, TatiFish9 said:

Are all these dresses modest?  

I keep thinking about JRod's modesty seminars and believe that she would find many of these looks to be sinful. I can see shoulders and some of the dresses are loose enough that I could probably see clear up to their underpants.

Josie really enjoys the slit in her dress.  Each photo has her doing a fundie version of Angela Jolie at the Oscars:

Spoiler

image.png.d3af24fff41861256768a77cd7b7053b.png

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 2

4 minutes ago, llucie said:

I agree that the dresses look more matched in the photo. But it is clearly it has a filter on. One of evans sister dress was purple and in that photo it looks pink.

Carlin dress is amazing, and i really like the bouquets. The flower crown is a bit meh but not terrible. Overall i think its better than Josies, specially the flowers so much better.

Would the Instagram photos have the filter or the professional photographer?

I agree about Josie's wedding. I disliked almost everything about it. Prior to alterations, her gown was spectacular. After that, things felt lackluster. I did notice what appeared to be an (unexpected?) fertility theme with the foliage, circles and flower crowns. Everything else was not what I expected of Josie. Her gown at Carlin's wedding seems similar to her own wedding theme. I guess it's her thing. I respect it.

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, Nikedagain? said:

In 1988, my best friend decided to get married in JULY in SOUTH CAROLINA. Oh yeah, it was a tiny  civil war era church with no ac. We wore long dark green dresses with full lace overlay and long sleeves. Our bouquets had candles. CANDLES

My friend got married in Virginia outdoors in JULY at 5pm (i.e., hottest time of the day). Oh...and she was an hour late to the ceremony! None of the caterers were set up yet so there was no water and I remember if I crossed my legs and uncrossed them, a pool of sweat would run down my calves as if I had just peed myself. Miserable. I wanted to kill her. 

But at least I had a sundress on. I would have passed out in long sleeved lace. 

• Upvote 5
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Satan'sFortress said:

I keep thinking about JRod's modesty seminars and believe that she would find many of these looks to be sinful. I can see shoulders and some of the dresses are loose enough that I could probably see clear up to their underpants.

Josie really enjoys the slit in her dress.  Each photo has her doing a fundie version of Angela Jolie at the Oscars:

I agree. Josie's split is what came to mind first. Some of those shoulders are peaking out, too! Tsk tsk. Jrod reminds me of a quintessential fundie matron. In the words of Jessa Seewald, "I'll show ya how to dress modestly." Those types irriate me the most. They do more damage than good. So much emphasis on holy dress code is such a rigid way to look at spirituality.

• Upvote 3

I really like her dress. I'm not one for poof personally, but knew Carlin would go for it and she did it well. She's also confirming my theory that olive skinned and darker complexioned brides always look better in white wedding dresses. Her make up and hair look gorgeous. Not a huge fan of the flower crown, but I do appreciate that her veil is long enough for the statement skirt (plus short veils always blow up outside and mess up photos, imo.)

The bridesmaids do like nice in the photos altogether. Also, I really like naked cakes. I'm glad Gil danced with her since it's clear that was important to her. Also, all the parents and grandparents are dressed really nicely. (I like Mama Jane so much, I'm ignoring that she is wearing white...)

Now I just need to get the embarrassing details of the reception "performances"!

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3

14 minutes ago, TatiFish9 said:

Would the Instagram photos have the filter or the professional photographer?

Well i hope it was the insta ones because this looks so much better. Really it was only the colour that didnt match, otherwise they look very well convined with the same type of skirt. (i still dont like the lace in some of the dresses but that its just a personal taste, they are objectively really nice).

Edited by llucie
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

I’m honestly really into the bridesmaids dresses. When I saw this picture my mind went directly to an eyeshadow palette. Carlin looked stunning. 

ETA: lol forgot to add the picture I’m talking about. 

5A38B893-F960-4278-A9B4-B9FB35302217.png

Edited by lizzybee
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 6
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

I like all the dresses Carlin looks stunning and I like the fact she is wearing jeans straight away. I just hope her and Evan have time to enjoy being married before she gets pregnant.

• Upvote 6
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 2

I'm glad Carlin seems to have gotten the wedding she wanted. After growing up in a herd in which her parents actively tried to destroy her sense of self worth, I'm glad she got to feel special and beautiful.  I expect she'll be happier under Evan's headship than under Gil's after hearing Gil's IBLP talk about her. Unfortunately we'll never really know since one of the mainstays of the cult is to look happy and like you have the best life all the time no matter how you feel. 

Evan took a picture of their plane on his insta story and it's not that big--I bet they're going to the Caribbean or Mexico rather than Europe. I'm glad Carlin can wear pants now, and I hope Evan lets her dress however she wants. 

I expect her to get pregnant right away.  So sad that the only path out from these horrible parents (for girls anyway) usually means becoming a parent themselves before they even have time to establish their own identity and figure out what they want. I think that's pretty much by design on Gil and Kelly's part. 

• Upvote 22

I also think having more than 4 months to plan a wedding makes a significant difference. Everything seems well put ttogether.

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 3

I do wonder if Carlin will try and get pregnant right away or not. Yes Evan came from a big family, not as big as hers, but do we know that he wants kids right away or even a bunch of kids?  I know she was raised to have as many kids and she can but she may not really want all of that. I guess time will tell. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

52 minutes ago, Satan'sFortress said:

keep thinking about JRod's modesty seminars and believe that she would find many of these looks to be sinful.

Jill DOES find everyone immodest, though!  The majority of women in her fundie church don't live up to her standards because they wear pants, shorts, sleeveless tops and normal bathing suits.  I always have felt that Jill secretly wants to evolve with the most of the other fundies clothing wise but she likes looking down on people. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 4

Who conducted the wedding ceremony? Gil has a mic on in the picture where he’s walking her down the aisle, and he’s carrying a bible. If daddy did the honours, I’m sure she promised to submit and obey, and leave the number of babies up to the Lord... 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

@lumpentheologie I agree with your entire post, but hope they don't want to get pregnant right away. They would be fools to wait several years to be together intimately, then rush right back into adding more people (even if little people) to the equation. Sadly, I think they will anyhow. Hope we're wrong.

I admire that Carlin got her dream wedding. I am convinced these were truly her requests not UP influenced. She looks content. I struggled so much (and still do at times) with knowing what I wanted and how to get it because decisions were always made for me. So I can appreciate seeing a young fundie woman going against the grain to get secular moments instead of cowering to her parents demanding everything must be "holy".

• Upvote 7
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Satan'sFortress said:

I don't get the messy, see-through frosting on the cake.  I know it is a trend, but it looks very messy to me. Cake deserves better than that.

Better than playdough, ahem fondant.

As a frosting hater, I will stan for naked cakes alllll day long.

• Upvote 11
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

Just now, bal maiden said:

Who conducted the wedding ceremony? Gil has a mic on in the picture where he’s walking her down the aisle, and he’s carrying a bible. If daddy did the honours, I’m sure she promised to submit and obey, and leave the number of babies up to the Lord... 

I believe there were two officiants listed.

Expect both Carlin and Gil to cry at some point.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, HermioneSparrow said:

I'm geographically restricted, can anyone share here under the spoiler thing? I looked on tumblr and such but no one has posted.

There are now a million on Instagram. Go to Carlin's page and look at the photos she's tagged in.

I actually really like her look. While I would've preferred an updo, her hair looks lovely. The bridesmaid dress colors came together, at least when they're all smushed together. I think this is the best executed Bates wedding so far.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

4 minutes ago, lizzybee said:

@formergothardite I essentially said the same thing in the Jill thread a day or two ago. Completely agree with you.

I really think Jill making eleventy million videos harping on Christians not being modest is because she has seen her culture change around her and she absolutely loves getting to look down on the rest of people, especially the "big" people like the Duggars and Bate. I also think that she desperately wanted these people to be her best friends and she probably can't grasp that saying the things she says will make fellow fundies hate her. Jill doesn't get that saying women who wear pants look like sluts is going to make Michelle and Kelly not want her around because of what she is calling their daughters. 

There is a pictures of Carlin the the grasps of some Rod children years ago and she looks absolutely horrified. There was no way in hell any of that family was going to be allowed to be at her wedding. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

1 minute ago, freethemall said:

[...] While I would've preferred an updo, her hair looks lovely. [...]

She is the first to pull off the loose curls without looking undone or downright plain.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic