IGNORED

Carlin & Evan 5 - Carlin Is Still Engaged?

HerNameIsBuffy

Ohhh how nice but there is lots of topless beaches there and I really  hope they pronounce it correctly as the word "Puta" in Spanish means prostitute or the B word for women. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 2

On 5/26/2019 at 10:17 AM, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I know Michelle had said that, but was that the Bates party line as well?

I thought Kelly said they can do as they like once they are married, but as long as they live in their house no pants (or something to that effect.)

(Fwiw I rarely wear skirts but wore one yesterday for packing and I was super conscious of making sure I stayed modest in a way I wouldn't have thought about in shorts.

I used to only wear skirts when it came to inventory day at the book store because I knew it meant I wouldn't be made to climb up on the ladders. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 18
  • Love 1

Guys, there is no mention of any shopping on this resort's website!  #JesusLovesthemall

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 8
  • Love 1

My son and his wife went to Punta Cana at an all inclusive resort for their honeymoon a few years ago. I have no idea which resort they stayed at, but it was heavily discounted and a great deal when they went.  I don’t know what is considered off season, they went in November.  That resort isn’t that expensive all things considered. I agree that it’s way too big.

• Upvote 3

On 5/29/2019 at 12:44 PM, catlady said:

i renewed my NY licence this month, and i opted for the "not for Federal purposes" version, because i just renewed my passport in February and i had no interest in spending a Saturday at the DMV.  i seldom fly, so i'm ok with using my passport for that and for visiting Ontario.  there are exactly three DMVs in New York that have Saturday hours (one in Brooklyn and two in Erie County, where i live), and the one closest to me is always busy; not a fun place to be.

The one at Eastern Hills Mall is hardly ever busy but I don't think they are open on Saturdays.

Edited to add, I only say this because alot of people seem to forget about the DMV there. 

Edited by mollysmom
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, JillyO said:

I just checked out the resort Carlin and Evan are staying at. That is one expensive honeymoon for a fresh college graduate without a job (*sorry, just realized she does have that boutique with Erin and Whit, but I can't imagine that has made them very much money at this point) and an apprentice electrician. I can't really imagine Up! paying for the Bateses' honeymoons the way TLC has been paying for the Duggars'. Have the others' honeymoons even been shown on TV, Josie's in particular? On the other hand, I can't imagine who else could be footing the bill for this extravaganza.

For anyone else who's curious, this is the website for the resort. They don't have any basic rooms - the cheapest category is a one-bedroom, 1000sq ft suite with private jacuzzi and butler service. It's well over $300/night for a random week way in the future that I just looked at.

Although to be fair, when I looked at the hotel website, I thought it was going to be significantly more expensive than this. If they got flights for a good price, this'll probably cost them somewhat north of $3000 for a week. Not as crazy as I thought, but I'm still curious who is footing the bill based on their, currently very limited, earning potential.

In my neck-of-the-woods apprentice electricians make $24/hour starting, with raises every six months. Evan's been in for something like 16 months now, and even if starting was a decent bit less, I bet he'd still be up to near $20/hour at this point.

$20/hour in a low COL area with no debt = plenty of money to spend on a honeymoon.

Especially because I don't remember Evan's living situation, but there's no way he was living on his own so I'm guessing he was maybe paying $300 a month in rent while likely making $2500/month post-tax income. Plenty of money for a nice honeymoon, and that's not even accounting for whatever amount families were willing to chip in and UP was able to negotiate.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

7 minutes ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

In my neck-of-the-woods apprentice electricians make $24/hour starting, with raises every six months. Evan's been in for something like 16 months now, and even if starting was a decent bit less, I bet he'd still be up to near $20/hour at this point.

$20/hour in a low COL area with no debt = plenty of money to spend on a honeymoon.

Especially because I don't remember Evan's living situation, but there's no way he was living on his own so I'm guessing he was maybe paying $300 a month in rent while likely making $2500/month post-tax income. Plenty of money for a nice honeymoon, and that's not even accounting for whatever amount families were willing to chip in and UP was able to negotiate.

CarVan have a house. I don’t know if they rent or own, but they’ve shared updates as they’ve painted and done work on it the last few months. Carlin seemed really excited about it, which was nice to see. Your first place is really exciting, though I wish she didn’t have to be married to have this particular experience. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

On 5/29/2019 at 12:44 PM, catlady said:

i renewed my NY licence this month, and i opted for the "not for Federal purposes" version, because i just renewed my passport in February and i had no interest in spending a Saturday at the DMV.  i seldom fly, so i'm ok with using my passport for that and for visiting Ontario.  there are exactly three DMVs in New York that have Saturday hours (one in Brooklyn and two in Erie County, where i live), and the one closest to me is always busy; not a fun place to be.

Not sure if this is well-known but if you have a AAA membership, you can renew your license at any of their locations!! I’ve never waited more than 30 minutes compared to literally hours and hours at the DMV.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

8 hours ago, Bazinga said:

I don't know how it works with TV sponsorship, etc., but I wouldn't be surprised if the resort cut a deal with UP (if it is being filmed) for free publicity.

Most all inclusive resorts don't allow filming on site. That's one of the reasons that they shot Josie and Kelton in Asheville (probably after given the color of the trees in the scenes). They could show them doing cute stuff on the "honeymoon" without having to worry about taking them off the resort site for filming. 

I don't know the rules for the one that Carlin and Evan are staying at, but it is probably like most with the rules about no or limited filming. Some shows get around this by asking the couple to shoot cell phone or camera video and splice it together with still shots and interviews back home to talk about the trip.  

A few years ago one of the E! shows filmed at Sandals before they instituted a no filming policy. I was there while it was going on and spoke to a few of the crew members. They said they'd never do that again, as it was nearly impossible to get all the releases signed and that people set out to purposely ruin their shooting schedule by walking through or worse. One guy whipped things out and started peeing while they were trying to film. They also ran into two other big problems. One was that some of the islands and resort areas are unionized. That means they can't bring their typical crew and have to hire locally even if the local crews weren't as good. Second, when they got the okay to shoot at Sandals, the resort would offer the "stars" free rooms for saying the name, but the crew had to pay for rooms and a bunch of expenses. 

Unless you are on a bigger network, most places aren't going to look at a show and say yes please film here. The perception is that most reality shows are trashy people who would trash a place. I get the phone calls at my job about people wanting to film stuff. Even the admin assistant knows to just put them to voicemail when one of the reality shows comes calling. We're about at that point with most independent film makers too. Most of the time, it is a flat fee of $30,000 to use a park for 1-2 days of filming. Then add in the extras such as insurance, police to block off the area, and more police if you want to keep your star a secret. The numbers add up quickly. 

Michaela/Brandon and Tori/Bobby had stateside honeymoons where they could film over 1 or 2 days and then go back to the honeymoon. My bet is that they will do a small trip where they talk about it being weird with no chaperones. Then it will be focused on the house they bought/rented. They don't always show things in a linear way. 

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 2

1 hour ago, FundiePrincess said:

Not sure if this is well-known but if you have a AAA membership, you can renew your license at any of their locations!! I’ve never waited more than 30 minutes compared to literally hours and hours at the DMV.

I never heard of this, so I looked into it.  Apparently only nine states allow renewals at AAA, and some of them don’t require membership.  However, NY is not one of them.  It would be nice if more states did this!

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

37 minutes ago, catlady said:

I never heard of this, so I looked into it.  Apparently only nine states allow renewals at AAA, and some of them don’t require membership.  However, NY is not one of them.  It would be nice if more states did this!

Here in Virginia, lots of people complained about DMV, so they added a new service: DMV2GO. There are three RVs, each one travels through a region of the state on a set schedule. You can do almost anything at one of them. There's usually three employees and almost never a line. I also love it because you can pull right up to the RV and not have to hike a long way (I'm mobility challenged). When I had to renew my license in the fall, I opted for a RealID as it was only a one-time $10 fee, I walked into the RV and walked out in less than 10 minutes. I'll never willingly go back to the regular DMV.

Edited by GreyhoundFan
  • Upvote 4

2 hours ago, FundiePrincess said:

The reason I have AAA is because of this. When I lived in Pittsburgh everyone told us the DMV was a nightmare suggested we go through AAA. It was much easier, I moved back to IL and it was back to waiting at the DMV. I did keep AAA though, it is very handy.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

CarVan have a house. I don’t know if they rent or own, but they’ve shared updates as they’ve painted and done work on it the last few months. Carlin seemed really excited about it, which was nice to see. Your first place is really exciting, though I wish she didn’t have to be married to have this particular experience. 

Gotcha. I do recall seeing those pics now. Guessing it's probably $800 a month? So still plenty of money left over to save.

Agree on the wishing she didn't have to be married to experience it, but... I definitely feel the best about CarVan out of all of the couples, even the Keilens. It seems like Carlin and Evan actually know each other and have probably fought before; not sure that any other couple had fought before marriage, which is just terrifying.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

I don't know if it will hold any bearing, but Carlin and Evan are both starting out the most "worldly" of all the couples.

They had a decently long engagement; a "normal" wedding with a trendy, "real venue" (as opposed to church basement/parking lot), dancing, and a meal; a honeymoon at a defrauding, tropical vacation resort; and despite not having their first kiss, had plenty of bodily contact. 

That's a lot of exposure + they can relate to less conservative fundies and "fit in" with other young, conservative Christian couples (hopefully might broaden their worldview slightly). 

What worries me is if something goes wrong in their lives, will they swing the other way and decide this "worldly" lifestyle is what led them into God's disfavor? 

I truly wonder how this young, impressable, infectiously positive couple would turn out if they just got away from Rocky Top. Alas, Carlin would never leave her family, so we will never know. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

@catlady oh shoot, I should have fact-checked myself before I posted... I’m in Massachusetts and I knew you could do it in CT and RI too so I just assumed it was nationwide. My apologies!!

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, kmachete14 said:

I don't know if it will hold any bearing, but Carlin and Evan are both starting out the most "worldly" of all the couples.

They had a decently long engagement; a "normal" wedding with a trendy, "real venue" (as opposed to church basement/parking lot), dancing, and a meal; a honeymoon at a defrauding, tropical vacation resort; and despite not having their first kiss, had plenty of bodily contact. 

They aren’t worldly. They’ll fit in wonderfully with other young conservative Christian couples and could likely fall easily into leadership given their public personas. Carlin’s best friend is Erin, who will be one of her biggest supporters in these early marriage days, as well as a role model. While Carlin likes flashy things, her worldview isn’t going to change as she’s not putting herself around anyone different than conservative//fundementalist Christians, aka no one different than herself. You can be a fundementalist in a tiny little home church or a big old mega church. And I can tell you from experience, the latter is more dangerous as they’re bringing outsiders in. Carlin would be a phenomenal women’s leader in that setting and really be able to help with membership. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

18 hours ago, Longhairedheathen said:

Ohhh how nice but there is lots of topless beaches there and I really  hope they pronounce it correctly as the word "Puta" in Spanish means prostitute or the B word for women. 

As a spanish speaking person i really dont get this post, can you explain what are you saying here? sorry maybe its super obvious but i dont get it, what word would they misspronounce that sounds similar to "puta"?

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

40 minutes ago, llucie said:

As a spanish speaking person i really dont get this post, can you explain what are you saying here? sorry maybe its super obvious but i dont get it, what word would they misspronounce that sounds similar to "puta"?

I’m guessing the word Punta for puta. 

• I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

DR is a fairly inexpensive destination, they probably got a good rate on it. 

I wonder if they at least try one non virgin drink. :pb_lol: You know it has to be tempting. 

• Upvote 5

11 hours ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

not sure that any other couple had fought before marriage, which is just terrifying.

My partner and I were together for nearly three years before we got married and never fought. We didn’t have a fight until after our son was born and it’s still a fairly rare occurrence almost nine years in. Some people avoid conflict more than others or are just more easygoing, doesn’t have to be terrifying IMO.

Edited by CharlieInCharge
Add needed words
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m guessing the word Punta for puta. 

Ah yes i can see, thanks for explaining. 

Punta Cana was a common destination for college class graduation trips when i was in college. It was considered cheap to go to one of those resorts, and a place to get drunk and party. Basically their major selling point is that you can buy an "all included bracelet" and then drink as much as you want while you are there. To be honest i can see Carlin and evan being really unconfortable there with their virgin drinks.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, CharlieInCharge said:

My partner and I were together for nearly three years before we got married and never fought. We didn’t have a fight until after our son was born and it’s still a fairly rare occurrence almost nine years in. Some people avoid conflict more than others or are just more easygoing, doesn’t have to be terrifying IMO.

As someone who avoids conflict, I can’t say it’s a good thing. People need to disagree sometimes. HOW you disagree is what’s most important imo. Sometimes I have to force myself to bring things up to my husband. And do it in a constructive way. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 5

16 hours ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

If living with his parents may not have paid rent all.  My kids don’t nor do most of the other kidults I know living  at home.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

As someone who avoids conflict, I can’t say it’s a good thing. People need to disagree sometimes. HOW you disagree is what’s most important imo. Sometimes I have to force myself to bring things up to my husband. And do it in a constructive way. 

Agreed, I never meant to imply otherwise, but I feel some people naturally argue or fight more and some people don’t. I am all for necessary disagreements, but some people seem to fight about every little thing or just jump on each other a lot. There are extremes on both ends that are negative, as with anything finding your own balance is key. Sorry if that wasn’t understood in my previous post, I was only trying to say that not fighting is not (much like marrying young) a negative in and of itself. 

Edited by CharlieInCharge
Add info
  • Upvote 4

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic