IGNORED

Carlin & Evan 5 - Carlin Is Still Engaged?

HerNameIsBuffy

weird that she would choose those photo's and not one that she is in with her mother. 

• I Agree 6

27 minutes ago, VBOY9977 said:

Also, she managed to sneek in the “I’m getting married in 13 days, y’all!!!”

I'm giving her a pass on that at this point - of course it's her all consuming thought at the moment.

not every fundy maiden gets her very own zoolander.

• Haha 17

4 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I'm giving her a pass on that at this point - of course it's her all consuming thought at the moment.

not every fundy maiden gets her very own zoolander.

I’ll give her a pass too. Mostly because the same thought went through my mind in the last two weeks before my own wedding. It’s a pretty exciting period of time for a lot of people, even for those of us who weren’t really into the whole wedding planning thing. ?

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

Lol I came here to comment on the fact that she picked TWO photos of Kelly and Evan. I could see one photo of Carlin and KElly and one of Carlin, Evan, and Kelly. Why would you not include yourself? How very un Carlin like

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, 19tacos&counting said:

Lol I came here to comment on the fact that she picked TWO photos of Kelly and Evan. I could see one photo of Carlin and KElly and one of Carlin, Evan, and Kelly. Why would you not include yourself? How very un Carlin like

She's preparing to defer to her headship and coalesce into being simply OfFundieZoolander.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 5

11 minutes ago, VBOY9977 said:

I noticed that the title of this thread says Calin and not Carlin

Sorry - was late last night and I was making a ton of new threads...fixing it now.

She knows he's moving, what a dumbass...it's likely hard for her so what was the point of rubbing it in with his stupid hashtag?

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

She's preparing to defer to her headship and coalesce into being simply OfFundieZoolander.

Carlin submissive? There is not a single submissive bone in the body of a Bates woman. They just give the appearance.
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, RosyDaisy said:

Carlin submissive? There is not a single submissive bone in the body of a Bates woman. They just give the appearance.

I agree Carlin and Erin not so much but I think Micheal is pretty submissive to what Brandon wants.  I can also see Josie being a bit submissive. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 8

20 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

She knows he's moving, what a dumbass...it's likely hard for her so what was the point of rubbing it in with his stupid hashtag? 

I read it as some context for the reader, as in "here's why I'm saying we'll be together at heart."

I can't imagine she'd be offended or hurt. But maybe that's just me.

30 minutes ago, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

I read it as some context for the reader, as in "here's why I'm saying we'll be together at heart."

I can't imagine she'd be offended or hurt. But maybe that's just me.

Yes, he said that in the text.  That doesn’t explain the hashtag which is what I thought was insensitive.

i don’t care about him or his mom, just explaining the rationale for my comment.

15 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

I agree Carlin and Erin not so much but I think Micheal is pretty submissive to what Brandon wants.  I can also see Josie being a bit submissive. 

Michael with her legit degree who is off to become a nurse. She's bossy mama in the vein of Kelly Jo.

And Josie, who has arguably the most legitimate employment of any Bates woman.

It would be helpful if you could back up some of your statements with supporting evidence.

ETA: Maybe I'm just having a bad day over here, but I think that reaction is unwarranted. If you can't stand a mild suggestion get yourself out of the room.

Edited by AliceInFundyland
  • Upvote 1
  • Fuck You 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

4 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

Michael with her legit degree who is off to become a nurse. She's bossy mama in the vein of Kelly Jo.

It would be helpful if you could back up some of your statements with supporting evidence.

ETA: Maybe I'm just having a bad day over here, but I think that reaction is unwarranted. If you can't stand a mild suggestion get yourself out of the room.

Personally, I’m kind of torn. I think it’s legitimately awesome that both Michael and Josie are pursuing things they seem genuinely interested in outside the home. I still doubt they’d be doing it if their husbands weren’t ok with it though. I think they’re fortunate to have found husbands that are supportive of them in that sense - and maybe that was part of the draw each of those specific guys had for them. 

Josie and Kelton just leave me feeling somewhat uncomfortable. I don’t know... I just worry there’s a potential power imbalance there the same way I worry about a power imbalance between Jeremy and Jinger. I don’t really worry about that with Michael and Brandon to be honest - I feel like they’re more evenly matched in some ways. I could be completely wrong about that though and I hope I am.

(This is all just based off personal thoughts, nothing really concrete.)

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 2

I can't believe I'm offering up a compliment but damn Kelly looks pretty in the purple dress. She reminds me of that singer Amy Grant.  

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

@VelociRapture

I feel like headships having opinions go without saying. The thing is, I don't see too many of the second Gen Bates and Duggars really having those problems.

Josie is still so young. And Kelton is just so.. Kelton. (gag)

But, for a teenager in the cult Josie presented as markedly mature with the job.

Time will tell.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

I share the perception that Ivorycoveredtower expressed.  

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

20 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

I think there's a difference between "bossy" and "take charge of your own life". Jill Duggar was bossy, Jill Dillard is submissive and trapped as fuck. Jessa was and is still bossy, though Counting On probably makes her seem worse than she is. Michael is a clear follower, even if she ran the roost in KJ's place and has started her own business. Alyssa is still a follower, but at least seems capable of taking how she works and how she presents herself into her own hands.

I see Josie/Kelton as "even" in the sense that they could totally wake up, be off to their own respective jobs with a kiss goodbye, and have a perfectly fair routine going.....but i wouldn't be surprised if once that baby pops out, if she says "hey i want to go out with a friend could you watch Willow?" Kelton would not be down to sacrifice his own free time for hers.

To get back on topic with Carlin (lol), it seems clear that she likes to do what she wants, but I think ultimately what she "wants" is someone to submit to. 

Edited by ihaveanexamintwodays
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 2

I don't think that Carlin will be all that submissive. I do think that she will be a wife who wants things to be perfect. She's not going to want a starter home with temporary stuff. She's going to want picture perfect now. She has the energy to do it so at least there is that. My guess is that once she has kids, she's going to put Alyssa and Erin to shame with her "perfect" family poses and matching outfits.  She doesn't seem to have much of Michaela's or Josie's quietness or maturity. 

Part of me likes that about Carlin because she is the so not the typical fundy wife type. But I also know that I couldn't be in a room with her for very long at all without wanting to choke her. In her efforts to play it up for the cameras and social media, she can come off as not very genuine. I will never forget the first episode on UP where she and Erin were shopping for Whitney's baby shower. She stops in the middle of the aisle to tell Erin that she is proud of her for how she has handled the miscarriages, etc. Erin was busy counting the door prizes they bought and barely pays any attention to her. You see it again when Zach graduated from the police academy. She stepped in front of people to tell him how proud she was. He gave her an obligatory hug and moved on while she kept yelling the rest of her speech for him. 

She's very Kelly like in that way. I could actually see her being one of the ones with the most kids. Like Kelly Jo, she's going to find that after the wedding, that's the only way she's going to get attention. 

Of all the Bates women to get married so far, Michaela takes the prize when it comes to a submissive nature to both her parents and her husband. While she can boss her younger siblings around quite effectively, she practically cowers to Brandon when it comes to even the most simple of things. Every episode of her wedding planning showed that she was aiming to please him and keep him happy. She bends over backward to make sure he's happy decorating choices. I think part of it is a lack of confidence she has from her years being in her sisters' shadows. I picked up on this with the way she reacted to her surprise visit to see him during the first season of the UP series. She was scared that he would not like her surprising him and that he would view her as sinful for lying. He made a comment about her being such a good liar and she practically freaked out that he would think that she had lied. 

I'm happy for her getting her degree and returning to school. It will be good for her to have more friends outside of her family and husband, as well as a legit career. Thankfully, Brandon doesn't seem to take advantage of the fact that she does like to please people - especially him and her parents. 

Josie appears very meek at times. However, I think there is a bit of shyness with her or at least camera shyness. Where Carlin looks for opportunities to mug for the camera and come off as loud, in charge, and confident, Josie is more reserved in front of the camera. I think that her job/career have opened her up a bit more to be more confident and less likely to take a backseat to Kelton or anyone on an issue she was passionate about. Kelton seems to still be the bigger people pleaser out of the two of them so far. That may stem from being rejected by her and her parents before. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 3

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic