IGNORED

Carlin & Evan 5 - Carlin Is Still Engaged?

HerNameIsBuffy

1 hour ago, Lurky said:

I legit thought that as much as there's a FJ hivemind, we all wanted the very young fundy couples to have some time to get to know each other before having kids, especially seeing as they've only ever been together chaperoned....  It seems Carlin has had a really tough life, feeling so unworthy and terrible, per Gil's bragging about her, and then being kept at home to raise her siblings, and being made to wait for marriage while her younger sister could rush into it.  I really hope she gets time with her new husband to have some fun, and freedom, and learn more about herself, before she starts her own quiver.

Thank you!! For all that you said, but especially this about Carlin. She really didn’t have a a great childhood, yet seems cheerful and optimistic still, not because she’s forced to be like some of her peers, but because that’s genuinely who she is as a person. And while I realize she’s still a fundementalist, I refuse to snark on her liking attention when she grew up in a house where the children were ignored by their parents or for wanting a break from raising babies. This is literally the one time in her life it can be all about her, and to a point,  Evan. 

Edited by Illmarryyoujana
Additional thoughts, spelling
  • Upvote 16
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, mango_fandango said:

I’ve seen it said before on this site that the division between fundie, fundie lite and conservative Christian is quite blurry at times. Some families, eg the Maxwells, I would class as definitely fundie. Other families are a little harder to classify. Some, eg the Shupes, have undergone lifestyle changes (they used to be skirt-wearing, devout homeschoolers, now the girls wear pants/jeans and the youngest kids go to public school). I don’t think the Shupe beliefs have changed. So they’re likely conservative Christian now, or maybe fundie lite. Who knows? 

Yes, as the current generation of fundamentalists grows up, it's becoming clear that those old categories are losing their usefulness. Comparing a couple of people who have stepped back from fundie dogma gives you a bunch of stories that can't easily be forced into one label:

• Chris Pennington comes out as nonbinary and atheist, but still has a relationship with their fundie family
  • Alecia Faith Pennington cuts ties with her family and their religion after suffering identity abuse
  • Carlin Bates puts on jeans after moving out, like her sister before her
  • Doug Phillips, disgraced rapist and VF president, starts a business photographing burlesque dancers in Europe

While all of these can be read as "leaving fundamentalism", it should be clear that they're not equivalent. The contexts and significance of each act are very different, and if we celebrated each of them as a breaking-free story, we're missing the whole picture. (Likewise, if we dismissed all of them, that would be bad.) It's best to think critically about the context and effects of these changes.

• Upvote 16
  • Love 2

I truly hope Carlin is a happy person because she wants to be not because she feels forced. Growing up I was always super cheerful and would point people to Christ and the Bible when I thought they needed it. The whole time I never believed. I just put on an act. I’m good at being cheerful, even when I’m really sad and depressed. 

• Upvote 9
  • Love 7

22 hours ago, Lgirlrocks said:

I could see Whitney sending her kids to either public school or private. She wasn’t home schooled and may have had a good experience. Whitney also works two part time jobs. 

I still don’t see it happening. I think the realty thing is very, very, very part time. I’ve never seen her have more than one listing. I think the boutique is meant to serve the same purpose for all of them - bring income while they stay at home and homeschool their kids. Additionally, there is no way to know how much work/time they are actually spending on this boutique. They could very easily be drop shipping this stuff, which means they don’t have to deal with holding inventory or packing stuff and shipping it. I have a feeling someone is doing a lot of the detailed work for them. I will literally fall over if they send their kids to public school. 

Edited by onyourwayhome
  • Upvote 11

40 minutes ago, onyourwayhome said:

I still don’t see it happening. I think the realty thing is very, very, very part time. I’ve never seen her have more than one listing. I think the boutique is meant to serve the same purpose for all of them - bring income while they stay at home and homeschool their kids. Additionally, there is no way to know how much work/time they are actually spending on this boutique. They could very easily be drop shipping this stuff, which means they don’t have to deal with holding inventory or packing stuff and shipping it. I have a feeling someone is doing a lot of the detailed work for them. I will literally fall over if they send their kids to public school. 

Whitney did go out for school and she has a college degree. She’s the one I see sending her kids out for school out of all of the moms. They broke the norm on a lot of things. Kissing before marriage, letting their kids watch Winnie the poo, her working while having kids, even part time, and wearing pants. She wore pants before they started courting and started wearing skirts/dresses only while she was around his family. 

• Upvote 1
  • Bless Your Heart 1

56 minutes ago, onyourwayhome said:

Additionally, there is no way to know how much work/time they are actually spending on this boutique. They could very easily be drop shipping this stuff, which means they don’t have to deal with holding inventory or packing stuff and shipping it. I have a feeling someone is doing a lot of the detailed work for them.

Erin had an Instagram story maybe a week or two ago where she was filming some "behind the scenes" stuff from the boutique. She showed that they do have inventory. It was obviously at someone's house, where it was basically one room dedicated to the boutique. So not a ton of inventory, but their stuff is definitely not shipped directly from China to the customers like some people have suggested (which explains why they constantly run out of stock on everything). Whitney was printing shipping labels and Chad was helping with something as usual. I don't remember if Carlin was also filmed.

That said, I agree that this seems like little more than a hobby for them. They're probably making some nice change with the boutique right now because the leghumpers are just dying to buy stuff from them. But I would honestly be shocked if this venture was still in existence two years from now. It just seems like something they'll lose interest in as their lives get busier and the novelty of it wears off. Even now, I think it's a little weird that Carlin started this thing with Erin and Whitney since she's moving to Nashville. Seems very impractical to me. But again, I think this is more something to keep them entertained for a while and make some easy cash on the side than a serious, long-term business prospect.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 3

@JillyO it is the Bates sisters boutique so any of the sisters could end up running it if one of them or more stepped down. I do see it as a quick way to make cash now. 

• Upvote 3

Maybe I missed it...
Have we figured out where they're taking their modeling pics for the boutique?  I don't recognize the place.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JillyO said:

Erin had an Instagram story maybe a week or two ago where she was filming some "behind the scenes" stuff from the boutique. She showed that they do have inventory. It was obviously at someone's house, where it was basically one room dedicated to the boutique. So not a ton of inventory, but their stuff is definitely not shipped directly from China to the customers like some people have suggested (which explains why they constantly run out of stock on everything). Whitney was printing shipping labels and Chad was helping with something as usual. I don't remember if Carlin was also filmed.

That said, I agree that this seems like little more than a hobby for them. They're probably making some nice change with the boutique right now because the leghumpers are just dying to buy stuff from them. But I would honestly be shocked if this venture was still in existence two years from now. It just seems like something they'll lose interest in as their lives get busier and the novelty of it wears off. Even now, I think it's a little weird that Carlin started this thing with Erin and Whitney since she's moving to Nashville. Seems very impractical to me. But again, I think this is more something to keep them entertained for a while and make some easy cash on the side than a serious, long-term business prospect.

What is the travel time from Nashville to whit and Erin? 

If it is under an hour or two she could commute off peak a few days a week and do other stuff from home 

funnily enough I see whit doing this full time and packing in realestate. My guess is that they will branch out into homewares candles and the like next. 

2 hours ago, Tim-Tom Biblethumper said:

Maybe I missed it...
Have we figured out where they're taking their modeling pics for the boutique?  I don't recognize the place.

They put it in an Instagram story the other day something haze,  I dunno it looks like they use someone they knows business place 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

5 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

What is the travel time from Nashville to whit and Erin? 

If it is under an hour or two she could commute off peak a few days a week and do other stuff from home 

Roughly 2 hours 50 minutes

PS The Leghumper comment of the week, geography and civics fail division, goes to this woman's post on the Carlin and Evan picture with their passports:

image.png.aeec3f644d10871088a08601e7077d28.png

Edited by HereticHick
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 22

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

PS The Leghumper comment of the week, geography and civics fail division, goes to this woman's post on the Carlin and Evan picture with their passports:

Hawaii is over seas though.... you fly right over a sea...

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 23

The amount of Americans that forget Hawai'i isn't a separate country is...staggering. I remember in high school our band & orchestra was invited to perform there and my friend's dad asked about how to get her a passport. 

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 4

20 minutes ago, llg1234 said:

The amount of Americans that forget Hawai'i isn't a separate country is...staggering. I remember in high school our band & orchestra was invited to perform there and my friend's dad asked about how to get her a passport. 

too many Americans also forget that "New York" is both a city and a state.  back in the Dark Ages of the 80s, i went to high school in a little town in central Maine.  one year, a few of the field hockey players were selected to participate in a tournament that was held in Saratoga Springs, NY.  the mother of one of the players said that she planned on going to visit the Statue of Liberty in between her daughter's games; that didn't happen....... 

(it wasn't a matter of not knowing where in NYS Saratoga is located; when we moved there and my parents said they grew up in Buffalo, a lot adults they met thought it was part of NYC.)

for those of you not in the northeastern US, below is a map showing Saratoga and NYC.  i included the scale for reference; 50 mi = 80 km.  

Spoiler

image.png.93f1ce3a36e76bd84a63aea844e6a627.png

• Upvote 13
  • Haha 4

On 5/25/2019 at 5:18 PM, HereticHick said:

The youngest Misses Bates will be left with burnt umber, opaque couche*, and charcoal as their bridesmaid dress options.

Has Nathan Bates fainted  yet from all the women with their hair up?

*http://time.com/4353765/worlds-ugliest-color-discourages-smoking/

I also wonder if he went along with everyone when Carlin picked her dress...lol.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, melon said:

I also wonder if he went along with everyone when Carlin picked her dress...lol.

It's funny.  I was thinking this when I saw the pictures.  I wonder if Nathan "warned" them that they would regret having their hair up.  I hope he didn't go with Carlin to pick out her dress.  I wonder if he privately thinks that his sisters shouldn't wear pants, either.  He's not their father, so he has no say in it.

That was a ninety plus (32 C) degree day, and I would have wanted my hair up, too.  I think the girls wearing the cap sleeve bridesmaids dresses made the right choice.

Edited by NoKidsAndCounting
typo
  • Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2

3 hours ago, catlady said:

too many Americans also forget that "New York" is both a city and a state.  back in the Dark Ages of the 80s, i went to high school in a little town in central Maine.  one year, a few of the field hockey players were selected to participate in a tournament that was held in Saratoga Springs, NY.  the mother of one of the players said that she planned on going to visit the Statue of Liberty in between her daughter's games; that didn't happen....... 

(it wasn't a matter of not knowing where in NYS Saratoga is located; when we moved there and my parents said they grew up in Buffalo, a lot adults they met thought it was part of NYC.)

for those of you not in the northeastern US, below is a map showing Saratoga and NYC.  i included the scale for reference; 50 mi = 80 km.  

Hide contents

image.png.93f1ce3a36e76bd84a63aea844e6a627.png

YES!!! People don't realize that NYC isn't the capital. If I wanna drive to my state capital, it's a good 5 hours. Boston is closer to Brooklyn than Albany lol

• Upvote 7

4 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Oh, Free Jinger friends, please be kind. She also probably thinks that you need a passport to go to New Mexico.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 17

No one needs a passport for Hawaii. Or Alaska. Or New Mexico. Also New England is part of the USA. And the states in the middle are included. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 4

Heads up, domestic travel laws are changing and go into effect 10/20. We have to have a “real ID” or a passport. A regular drivers license won’t cut it.  The link explains it.

TSA link

• Upvote 15
  • Thank You 3

43 minutes ago, TeaELSee said:

Heads up, domestic travel laws are changing and go into effect 10/20. We have to have a “real ID” or a passport. A regular drivers license won’t cut it.  The link explains it.

TSA link

I wondered why the drivers license design was changed so dramatically (here) This must be one of the multiple reasons. It looks like a spaceship license.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, TeaELSee said:

TSA link

Thanks. Just to clarify, regular driver’s licenses will be accepted, but you may need to get a new license, depending on when your state adopted the TSA standards and when you got your license.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

36 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Thanks. Just to clarify, regular driver’s licenses will be accepted, but you may need to get a new license, depending on when your state adopted the TSA standards and when you got your license.

This isn't true in all states.  I just renewed my New York license and it has "not for federal purposes" written on top. I could have payed more to get a Real ID or an Enhanced license, but I didn't have all the required documents for those when I went to the DMV. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

This isn't true in all states.  I just renewed my New York license and it has "not for federal purposes" written on top. I could have payed more to get a Real ID or an Enhanced license, but I didn't have all the required documents for those when I went to the DMV. 

ugh, doesn't this seem tied into voter disenfranchisement?!

I remember when Canadians used to use driver's licences for the US border. Then they made the licences a lot fancier but the border security got tighter anyway so passports it is. Luckily we have better options for voting (in general) - health card + proof of address, driver's licence, you can even have someone who knows you swear you in if your address is outdated.

• Upvote 11

I was under the impression that the new TSA enhanced IDs was required for all states as of 10/20. I just had my CLD renewed and I opted out of the enhanced license, or “Real ID” as I have a passport and Global Entry ID, which both meet the criteria for “Real ID”. I have heard many people who despite having all the stated “required” paperwork still get told it was not enough when they turned up for their appointment. I did walk my 80+ YO parents through  the process and it was successful...maybe the authorities are more kind and gentle with the elderly.

• Upvote 4

My shit stain of a state still doesn't have real ID available. I've been taking my passport with me whenever I fly, just because the real ID deadlines have changed several times and I don't want to risk missing my flight b/c my drivers license is no longer enough. 

@SassyPants are your parents white? That always helps when dealing with  authorities. :oops:

Edited by llg1234
  • Upvote 6

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic