IGNORED

Zach & Whitney Bates Part 7: Fundie Babypocalypse in Full Effect

HerNameIsBuffy

On 8/16/2019 at 10:51 PM, Vivi_music said:

Ethel is so cute to my ears. But this is another example how names are ingrained in one's culture. It is only through contact with English-speaking culture/tv show/forums/etc that I learned Ethel was a name from an older generation in the anglosphere. The same for Agnes, which I love in French. It is only thanks to Anglo TV shows that I learned that is was considered ''old'', not to mention that awful awful pronunciation in English. Ugh.

In French, both of these names are on the ''rarer'' side, but not necessarily labelled ''old''. Whereas I have seen young people in the US named Yvonne and here it would NEVER even be phantomable. Someone named Yvonne was at least borned in the 1930's in my mind.

I really like Yvonne, maybe because I had an old friend with that name (she was Czech-Canadian and I suspect she "Anglicized" Ivana). Those 1930s names could come back, right? Maybe circa 2030, if you believe the "100 year cycle" theory.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

I really like Yvonne, maybe because I had an old friend with that name (she was Czech-Canadian and I suspect she "Anglicized" Ivana). Those 1930s names could come back, right? Maybe circa 2030, if you believe the "100 year cycle" theory.

Oh for sure. I have no idea if it will do a comeback, but it could. I don't think it is an ugly name in itself, but if you ask French-speakers, they'll tell you it is considered ''old''. Whereas I have seen some young woman bearing the name in the English-speaking world. :P 

• 1 month later...
On 9/20/2019 at 12:36 PM, BeccaGrim said:

Anyone else thoroughly shocked that Zach Bates knew A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court last night?  

I was!!!!

• Upvote 1

On 9/20/2019 at 1:36 PM, BeccaGrim said:

Anyone else thoroughly shocked that Zach Bates knew A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court last night?  

Did he actually read the book or has he just seen the old movie? I would be shocked if I found out he had read it! The Bates don't look like big readers of classic books.  

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, formergothardite said:

Did he actually read the book or has he just seen the old movie? I would be shocked if I found out he had read it! The Bates don't look like big readers of classic books.  

That’s my guess. Remember when we saw that pile of mainstream movies at Zach and Whit’s house? I think they watch a lot of mainstream stuff.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Lgirlrocks said:

It all started with Winnie the Pooh. 

Good title for a new thread haha.

I wonder if Whitney is having a rough pregnancy. She has posted very few IG pictures since she got pregnant, and some of them are just for advertisement purposes. Well, maybe she just got tired of IG!

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

42 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

Good title for a new thread haha.

I wonder if Whitney is having a rough pregnancy. She has posted very few IG pictures since she got pregnant, and some of them are just for advertisement purposes. Well, maybe she just got tired of IG!

Being pregnant with two little ones is probably exhausting. I really hope she remembers how exhausting it is and spaces her next one out a little bit.

• Upvote 5

On 9/25/2019 at 6:09 AM, formergothardite said:

On the other hand, I recall years ago that the Bates said Alyssa's favorite book was The Count of Monte Cristo

https://www.batesfamilyblog.com/2015/11/bates-6-turns-21.html

• Upvote 8
  • Rufus Bless 1

24 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

That truly surprises me! I guess they do read classic literature!

My guess would be that they read some of the edited versions that would be church approved. I can think of quite a few things in even classic literature that would be inappropriate in the IBLP mind. 

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 1

Katie was the Bates "reader". She loved Agatha Christie novels. I find it difficult to believe that Alyssa read The Count of Monte Cristo (maybe they had a version for children? Maybe she was just looking for inspiration to scape from BatesJail but marrying was a better way?). 

Jokes aside, in the old blog, when Kelly still homeschooled, she was used to go the library (mainly to use free internet, but also for books). I had the impression that Bates had an slightly better approach to fiction books than Duggars, who were unable to name a novel they liked.

• Upvote 16

I am wondering if they read the regular version or if they read the great illustrated classics version. for those unfamiliar with it, it's a rewritten form of the classic and easier to read language and has a picture on every other page. I can remember reading some of my cousins great illustrated classics. I know The Count of Monte Cristo is one. Here, also is a link to Connecticut Yankee.

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/illustrated-classic-editions-a-connecticut-yankee-in-king-arthurs-court-illustrate-classic-editions/13736943/?mkwid=GRt9lfay|dm&pcrid=70112859672&product=19488177&plc=&pgrid=21517256472&ptaid=aud-465071891222%3apla-293099308689&utm_source=google_shopping&utm_content=GRt9lfay|dm|pcrid|70112859672|pkw||pmt||product|19488177|slid||pgrid|21517256472|ptaid|aud-465071891222%3apla-293099308689|&gclid=Cj0KCQjww7HsBRDkARIsAARsIT6Xt_VgtUFo6CnOllJQODDw75FyXOQ2QNxyoq3k5zwkIxhFKbYebOQaAii6EALw_wcB#isbn=B002DDKSVS&idiq=19488177

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1

39 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

I am wondering if they read the regular version or if they read the great illustrated classics version.

I walk around acting like I'm a regular person like the rest of you, but I got through three HS literature classics by reading nothing more than the the Comic Classics (or something... it was the 60s/70s and I can't remember the actual name) for Great Expectations, MacBeth, and one other. BTW, I aced the quizzes because those wee little condensed versions include all the 'important' stuff. Reading was my weakness but I was strong in math and science. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 5
  • Love 1

17 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

I am wondering if they read the regular version or if they read the great illustrated classics version. for those unfamiliar with it, it's a rewritten form of the classic and easier to read language and has a picture on every other page. I can remember reading some of my cousins great illustrated classics. I know The Count of Monte Cristo is one. Here, also is a link to Connecticut Yankee.

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/illustrated-classic-editions-a-connecticut-yankee-in-king-arthurs-court-illustrate-classic-editions/13736943/?mkwid=GRt9lfay|dm&pcrid=70112859672&product=19488177&plc=&pgrid=21517256472&ptaid=aud-465071891222%3apla-293099308689&utm_source=google_shopping&utm_content=GRt9lfay|dm|pcrid|70112859672|pkw||pmt||product|19488177|slid||pgrid|21517256472|ptaid|aud-465071891222%3apla-293099308689|&gclid=Cj0KCQjww7HsBRDkARIsAARsIT6Xt_VgtUFo6CnOllJQODDw75FyXOQ2QNxyoq3k5zwkIxhFKbYebOQaAii6EALw_wcB#isbn=B002DDKSVS&idiq=19488177

I was thinking the same thing. I read those at an early age and felt so "cultured and smart" to be reading books that big people talked about all the time. I did go back and read the actual classic books later, but at the time I thought I was a big deal. You couldn't have told me I was reading something different. 

• Upvote 8

Did anyone else catch Whitney's instastory about the "breathable" crib mattress for Khloe? 

I kid you not that she had Bradley demonstrate that it was breathable by faceplanting on it and breathing in and out.

• Upvote 2
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • WTF 2
  • Haha 3

Back to the classical lit, don’t forget that despite the fact Gil and Kelly are crazy, they are both well educated, unlike the Duggar parents. Kelly probably did have them read the kinds of old fashioned high school lit she read.

and on to Whitney: though she was not homeschooled, I can almost ensure she did not read classical lit in high school after that demonstration.

• Upvote 10

2 hours ago, coffeebean7 said:

I keep reading the baby name as Khlo-ay.   The K is bad but misusing the accent is really bad. 

Unfortunately, I associate the name Khloé/Chloe with a German word for toilet. Colloquially, we sometime use “das Klo” instead of “die Toilette”. The latter is the politer term, but the former is used more often in everyday life. So when I hear the English name, I can’t help but think of that. Granted, that’s my problem and the name is totally innocent lol

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 13
  • Love 1

I predict multiple headaches for them using the accent mark in the US.  What are the odds that her birth certificate and other bureaucratic documents are all going to include it correctly?  How many times, over the course of her life, will she need to explain to people how to spell, type, and pronounce her name?  It's up to Whitney and Zach what to name her, of course, but it just seems kind of unfair to me.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 5

• 4 weeks later...

Bub time line is giving me a headache during a scene that was released for Thursdays episode it shows them at carlins graduation which from instagram was suposudly on may 16th okay great. It shows zach telling everyone whit is pregnant Kelly says it's a girl. Problem they made the pregnancy public may 9th so how in the h e double hockey sticks is it that they didn't tell the family till the 16th. Yeah way to fuck up time lines UP LMAO

Edited by Ivycoveredtower
  • Upvote 5

I just checked Whitney's instagram and saw the recent pictures of Bradley and Kaci. Fundies always brag (and often lie) about the special bond between siblings, but I think it's true in those kids case. It's refreshing to see genuine smiles and a sincere connection. 

And well... New baby is coming soon. Is Whitney still working as a realtor? I suppose she quit, but did she said something about it? 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Melissa1977 said:

I just checked Whitney's instagram and saw the recent pictures of Bradley and Kaci. Fundies always brag (and often lie) about the special bond between siblings, but I think it's true in those kids case. It's refreshing to see genuine smiles and a sincere connection. 

And well... New baby is coming soon. Is Whitney still working as a realtor? I suppose she quit, but did she said something about it? 

She has not mentioned that in a long time. My guess is she quit when her carlin and Erin started the dress shop.

• Upvote 5

16 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

She still lists it on her Instagram account, and her profile is still up on the company's website (here). That said, she currently doesn't have any listings (otherwise they would appear on her profile, like this).

My best guess is she hasn't officially "quit", but just hasn't listed any houses recently. She is far from the only broker who doesn't have any listings, so this seems pretty normal. But yeah, definitely doesn't look like she's currently actively working as a realtor.

Edited by JillyO
Riffle
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 6

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic