IGNORED

Dillards 75: Keep the Food Out of the Bathroom

Coconut Flan

I think the front bedroom will be Dericks study/ spare room. The boys bedroom will be at the back and their play room in the middle perhaps. 

• I Agree 1

Im surprised that this thread is quiet... Derick posted a video of him panning his backyard with tornado sirens howling. It almost wasnt newsworthy until the end and he said "Israel and Sam are fine and safe inside. We dont have a basement but" and then stops really weirdly like he changed his mind about whatever he was going to say. Then you hear the weather pick up and he is out of there. Odd. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
  • Thank You 5

41 minutes ago, HurricaneBells said:

Derick posted a video 

I saw that video too. And I was wondering why did he post it usig Jills instagram!

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

4 hours ago, Melinda said:

I saw that video too. And I was wondering why did he post it usig Jills instagram!

Maybe he’s talking tips from Jeremy and using Jill’s phone, but he forgot to change accounts ??

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 7

11 hours ago, Melinda said:

Because he's a clickbait-loving fame whore and nobody would pay attention to his bitter, boring account.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 9
  • I Agree 3

12 hours ago, HurricaneBells said:

Im surprised that this thread is quiet... Derick posted a video of him panning his backyard with tornado sirens howling. It almost wasnt newsworthy until the end and he said "Israel and Sam are fine and safe inside. We dont have a basement but" and then stops really weirdly like he changed his mind about whatever he was going to say. Then you hear the weather pick up and he is out of there. Odd. 

Curious since i remember reading people snarking on the house not having a basement, not sure if it was here or in reddit, maybe its just a coincidence but it could posible be in response to that. Derrick seems to me like a person who would enjoy reading what people is commenting about them.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, llucie said:

Curious since i remember reading people snarking on the house not having a basement, not sure if it was here or in reddit, maybe its just a coincidence but it could posible be in response to that. Derrick seems to me like a person who would enjoy reading what people is commenting about them.

We talked about it here. The ground in that area is pretty much hard rock. A basement would cost a lot. There are ways to protect yourself during a tornado without having a basement.

Edited by DarkAnts
  • Upvote 8

A recipe post that's well-photographed AND looks palatable??? I'm shocked!

Spoiler

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 4

5 minutes ago, beepy13 said:

Hide contents

She even used a portrait filter! 

• Upvote 7

16 minutes ago, beepy13 said:

Hide contents

That’s actually a really good post. The photo is well staged, the cookies and milk look really appetizing, and she made a great choice by mentioning the blog post had photos of the boys helping her bake them. The recipe seems like a decent one and the blog photos of her with the kids are pretty adorable too:

3A35A2FA-24F9-4278-A127-BFD0374EFA14.thumb.jpeg.254106d6eb2ea6d8e4e33c687f440066.jpeg

Spoiler

9C7211B1-A285-42D8-A907-4AAFEC38ECC7.thumb.jpeg.c0018453387ed26d0f73e1607c24eeab.jpeg

Spoiler

E8E9F4C3-6AED-485A-9A72-EAC0A62ADF30.thumb.jpeg.847d327e52a84dca8f5d88449c94cb31.jpeg

Spoiler

8484756E-CCD1-4D41-B839-F494709CBEEB.thumb.jpeg.0fdab566cb89a6a7af22ac3b88212bbd.jpeg

I love that big smile on Izzy’s face. His whole face just lights up in the best way when he has a genuine smile.

• Upvote 22

New house, new inspiration to take better pictures? 

I like seeing a real smile on Izzy's face too. 

• Upvote 7

Seriously, I did not believe this was coming from Jill's insta when I saw it. Wow.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

I’ve been saying Jill should give desserts a try on her blog instead. So much easier to get an appetizing photo of that instead of mushy chicken and noodles swimming in cream of mushroom soup. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2

growing up the Midwest (near one of the worst hurricanes to every hit Illinois) I am TERRIFIED of tornadoes. I would never not have a basement.

However, if you don't have one, you can go into a bathroom, get into the tub, and put a mattress on top of your family. 

• Upvote 12

Yeah, I think it's definitely easier to get appetizing photos with baked goods. That's purely an observation, not snark. I love seeing Izzy lick the cookie dough as much as I loved seeing Sammy eat those cupcakes. 

Edited by Pecansforeveryone
add a thought
  • Upvote 8

Then she followed that up with her kid, mouth wide open, showing a chewed cookie. That's gross and doesn't help a recipe post.

And who puts a glass on a plate? Lol

• Upvote 1

It also looked like she had very minimal natural light to work with at their last place, and now in their new house, they have windows in abundance... so that should help her food photography at the very least! Not that good lighting would make up for all those cream of recipes (that probably do taste delicious but do NOT look appetizing)... but maybe it'll give her inspiration to try new things. 

• Upvote 11

It is surprising to see such a dramatic improvement in Jill's posting. I felt almost as surprised to find a picture of Israel and Sam having fun with their dad in the large collection of pictures in the post about their new house. 

Spoiler

IMG_9725-1024x768.thumb.jpg.17233ecb8152882b038b5a78b3d5a91f.jpg

It would be nice to see more pics of the boys enjoying time with their dad, instead of looking stressed by his presence. Then again, it would be nice to see signs that Derrick had started considering the rights of LGBTQ people to be as important as his rights, but I'm not holding my breath on either one. :pb_confused:

• Upvote 14

Damn, Jill, those posts are actually quite good! I feel like sometimes Jill seems to be more harshly judged than her sisters for her social media, but I disagree- I think she's just objectively less skilled at taking photos and writing good captions.

But just like every skill, the more you do it, the better you get, and these posts are sweet, appropriate, and aesthetically pleasing. These are objectively good Christian mom blogger posts, inoffensive and cute. 

I wonder whose basic human rights with Derick devalue on Twitter to bring balance to the universe. 

• Upvote 6

I think the fact that the new house looks so new and clean and has good lighting helps a lot with the photos.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

I’m not going to cap on Dereck  for not spending more time with the boys. In the real world, most families have a parent that works or goes to school, in many, both. In order to support a family successfully, one parent, often both, need to spend time away from the kids, and they have for generations, and kids do OK, as long as they are loved, nurtured, respected and provided for. It is totally unrealistic to think that families can exist without someone working to provide income and a stable life. That someone, almost 100% of the time needs to spend many hours away.

Why anyone would think that they and their family is so “special” that they are entitled to live an above average life, with all the trimmings,  and never have a parent away from the family is absurd. YES, FUNDIES, the world is looking at you!

• Upvote 7

On 5/1/2019 at 6:58 AM, HurricaneBells said:

Did he mention Jill?  Was she safe inside?

Also, what is the white, roundish appliance in the pictures of the cookie making?  Is it a mixer?

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I’m not going to cap on Dereck  for not spending more time with the boys.

For me, it isn't about the quantity of time he spends with his kids, it's how the time is spent. If it really is just that Derrick isn't very good at interacting with younger kids, like some people have suggested, maybe it will improve over time.

My husband keeps busy with work and volunteering, but the time he spends with our kids is satisfying to them and to him.  Even something as mundane as going shopping is fun if they go with their dad. Conversely, I had a very bad relationship with my dad as I was growing up. My favorite thing was when he went on business trips out of town. (The longer the trip, the better.)

I hope for Derrick and his kids that they want to spend time with him, instead of being relieved when he goes away.

Edited by WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?
clarification
  • Upvote 8
  • Sad 1
  • Love 4

48 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

For me, it isn't about the quantity of time he spends with his kids, it's how the time is spent. If it really is just that Derrick isn't very good at interacting with younger kids, like some people have suggested, maybe it will improve over time.

My husband keeps busy with work and volunteering, but the time he spends with our kids is satisfying to them and to him.  Even something as mundane as going shopping is fun if they go with their dad. Conversely, I had a very bad relationship with my dad as I was growing up. My favorite thing was when he went on business trips out of town. (The longer the trip, the better.)

I hope for Derrick and his kids that they want to spend time with him, instead of being relieved when he goes away.

We’ve seen evidence that Derick and the boys love each other and can have fun together. I’d guess that it’s a combination of personalities clashing at times (like when Derick wants to do X and Izzy wants Y and Derick comes across as an I competent ass because Izzy is a toddler), capturing the wrong moments for social media, and Derick just not knowing what to do with young kids because he has had no real experience with them before becoming a parent.

Like Derick, Jeremy doesn’t seem to have had a lot of experience with kids before becoming a father. Jeremy seems to have settled into fatherhood well, but their social media is also carefully curated to only show their best image - the Dills haven’t been as careful and have presented a much more realistic view of things as a result. And unlike Derick, both of Jeremy’s parents are a quick phone call away if he needs advice on something concerning Felicity. Derick doesn’t have a father he can call up and ask questions to whenever he’s faced with a parenting issue because his father died. He could ask his mom and I’m sure they’d find that helpful, but it’s not exactly the same thing as different parents can have different views, memories, and experiences to draw on. Losing a parent seems like it can be incredibly difficult for a lot of people. Maybe that’s been true for Derick and it’s had an impact on how he’s settled into parenthood so far.

• Upvote 7

2 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

We’ve seen evidence that Derick and the boys love each other and can have fun together. I’d guess that it’s a combination of personalities clashing at times (like when Derick wants to do X and Izzy wants Y and Derick comes across as an I competent ass because Izzy is a toddler), capturing the wrong moments for social media, and Derick just not knowing what to do with young kids because he has had no real experience with them before becoming a parent.

Like Derick, Jeremy doesn’t seem to have had a lot of experience with kids before becoming a father. Jeremy seems to have settled into fatherhood well, but their social media is also carefully curated to only show their best image - the Dills haven’t been as careful and have presented a much more realistic view of things as a result. And unlike Derick, both of Jeremy’s parents are a quick phone call away if he needs advice on something concerning Felicity. Derick doesn’t have a father he can call up and ask questions to whenever he’s faced with a parenting issue because his father died. He could ask his mom and I’m sure they’d find that helpful, but it’s not exactly the same thing as different parents can have different views, memories, and experiences to draw on. Losing a parent seems like it can be incredibly difficult for a lot of people. Maybe that’s been true for Derick and it’s had an impact on how he’s settled into parenthood so far.

I think much of Dereck’s peculiarities stem from the fact that he lost his father , suddenly, and at such a young, impressionable age. It seems he really has had limited role models  in terms of how to be a man and father. He is an awkward man who has seemingly become even more awkward as time has gone on. As I’ve said many times, I want them to find their niche and successfully adapt to a quiet, private life away from the media and general public. Neither of these 2 has the natural inclination that leads to a potentially successful public life, and without such, they are nothing but fodder for the media hounds. In that sense, I feel very sorry for them, and am glad that for whatever reason, their family is no longer on TV. Now, if they could just shut the rest of the public crap off-

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

• Georgiana locked this topic