IGNORED

M is for Mama 3: B is for Baby Boy Born

Jellybean

1 hour ago, tankgirl said:

A bigger part is probably expense. In a lot of areas,  circumcision stopped being paid for by some insurance and most state medical plans. 

Circumcision numbers of kids in areas that had state funds stop paying for the operation, saw huge drops in the number of boys having the surgery. It can cost $500-$900 (numbers based on what one person I know paid 10 years ago mind you) out of pocket often changes quickly what you believe  when you just dont have the money and already paid for a home birth. In some states and not always the ones you think of, less then 30% of boys are under going circumcision, and dropping. Not getting into any debates on the topic, but truely wonder if costs might be a big decision maker on these huge families, not what the bible actually says ironically. 

Oh I’m sure cost is part of it. Fundies are often poor due to having too many children and likely only have Scameritan. I wonder if Scameritan covers it. I’ve never looked into it. I know they completely cover homebirths. I’m in a high circumcision state. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Hashtag Blessed said:

God, she sounds like an absolute nightmare. Is there any minor annoyance that she doesn't berate her children for? Poorly arranged throw pillows and mistakes in piano practice are not worth a reaction like that. Seriously, if it's so excruciating then stop! Do they even want to play the piano? 

It amazes me when certain parents say that their children will have music lessons even if they’ve shown no interest(and especially if they have no particular talent[read: Duggars]).

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

<<<It amazes me when certain parents say that their children will have music lessons even if they’ve shown no interest(and especially if they have no particular talent[read: Duggars]).>>>

In hindsight, I'm glad I had the piano lessons I did and that I learned to read music at an early age.

But yeah...taking piano was not an option for me and my brother, it was required.  Period, full stop.  My brother managed to get out of it after 3 years; still not sure how he pulled that one off.  It did not occur to me that I had the right to say I wanted to quit until I was 14.  And then I did.  8 years total, the last 2 of which I was miserable because I was also playing cello in two orchestras and piano got pushed to the back burner.  

*I* chose the cello, not my mother, and I loved it and still do.  I played for a few years in a local church orchestra awhile back and had a blast.  I don't currently own one, but I may buy myself a cheapie at some point just to have something to play when the urge strikes.

Edited by danvillebelle
more
  • Upvote 8
  • Love 3

12 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

When the “crunchy homebirthing anti vaccine”  people are fundies, I bet they are less likely to circumcise. I know a few of the fundies we talk about on FJ have said they don’t. I know both the Nogs and TAMs family don’t circumcise. My guess is that there are a few more but they don’t broadcast it for the world. 

I'm sure the balance is starting to swing. I still know many "crunchy homebirth anti vaccine" fundies who circ their sons for very strong religious reasons. In my area there is a dr/rabbi that many fundies go to have it done. 

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, EowynW said:

The parents of one of my fundie friends hit the fucking roof when they found out the man she was marrying wasn't circumcised. They said he needed to go get it done after marriage. 

i'd love to know how that conversation went down!

"oh say, son in law to be, what does your penis look like?" ?

• Haha 18

11 minutes ago, MayMay1123 said:

It was so bad. She was really naive and accidentally leaked it to her parents a few weeks before the wedding that he was uncut. They nearly died. And gave him a lecture about BIBLE and cleanliness and looking normal etc. it was so WTF. 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 13
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, MayMay1123 said:

LOL, ahahahahahahaha. I laughed so hard I choked on my coffee, and had a coughing fit while wiping tears from my eyes.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 4

15 minutes ago, EowynW said:

It was so bad. She was really naive and accidentally leaked it to her parents a few weeks before the wedding that he was uncut. They nearly died. And gave him a lecture about BIBLE and cleanliness and looking normal etc. it was so WTF. 

Omg my husband would have laughed his ass off and walked right out. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

NOT TODAY, SATAN is normally reserved for stuff that’s important, isn’t it?
Not getting pissed off during a piano lesson you don’t want to teach to a kid who doesn’t want to learn.
Not today, Satan, I’m busy. Call first next time.

• Upvote 9

And who cares if a penis looks “normal” in fundie land?! The only person looking at the penis is the wife. And by the way guys, whether you are circumcised or not, penises look weird. Every last one of them. ?‍♀️

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 18

26 minutes ago, bea said:

NOT TODAY, SATAN is normally reserved for stuff that’s important, isn’t it?
Not getting pissed off during a piano lesson you don’t want to teach to a kid who doesn’t want to learn.
Not today, Satan, I’m busy. Call first next time.

well, if God has nothing better to do than ensure that you have enough butter, or exact change for your latte, or a good parking spot, then i guess Satan has the time to meddle in your kids' piano lessons.....

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

And who cares if a penis looks “normal” in fundie land?! The only person looking at the penis is the wife. And by the way guys, whether you are circumcised or not, penises look weird. Every last one of them. ?‍♀️

I can't imagine how painful it would be! Regardless of age. Why is getting it circumcised so important to Fundy world? I thought not getting circumcised reduced the risk of infection, stuff like that. Cause the body would be able to fight it off most of the time. However I am probably wrong. Could anyone explain?

28 minutes ago, SassyPantswithASideofClass said:

I can't imagine how painful it would be! Regardless of age. Why is getting it circumcised so important to Fundy world? I thought not getting circumcised reduced the risk of infection, stuff like that. Cause the body would be able to fight it off most of the time. However I am probably wrong. Could anyone explain?

I think it’s mostly cultural in the US. Because there are plenty of other countries with lots of Christians who don’t circumcise. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

Good GOD she hates being a parent. Which, if you don't want to be a parent that's fine - BUT DON'T HAVE 8 FLIPPING CHILDREN. Those kids must walk on eggshells constantly, especially as they get older. I can see she'll be the most manipulative mother and she'll only get worse as her house fills with teenagers :( She disgusts me. It's not the children's fault that they're children... UGH.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 5

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think it’s mostly cultural in the US. Because there are plenty of other countries with lots of Christians who don’t circumcise. 

It's a huge cultural thing in America period with Christians and non Christians. 

Edited by EowynW
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, EowynW said:

It's a huge cultural thing in America period. 

Yup, that's why you have to pay out of pocket so often now.

And am I the only one who see's this in their head when she said, " Not today Satan!"?

Spoiler

Edited by tankgirl
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 1

Oh my Rufus. Abbie, please just shut the f*ck up. Everything you say is horrible:

"I don't know about you, but I find it easier to be kind to people when others are watching, and I don't just mean in a "so I look good" kind of way (though, there is that). It's actually mentally EASIER. Like I actually don't get as frustrated. Why is that?? Perhaps because I have a built-in guard in public that's so subconscious as to be effortless--almost freeing in its automatic nature. 
Something tells me I'm not the only one who tends to watch my words more carefully when friends or strangers are nearby."

This may surprise you Abbie but there are parents out there who don't need constant accountability in order to behave kindly and decently to their children. 

• Upvote 7
  • Disgust 1
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 3

7 hours ago, EowynW said:

Oh man, talk about boundary issues!!!

Edited by Ozlsn
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4

I know two men who had to be circumcised as adults for medical reasons, and they made damn sure their newborn baby sons were circd.

@EowynW  Did the groom to be give and get circd before the wedding?  If he did wouldn't he still be healing as the wedding was mere weeks away -- making the wedding night,... um... a little...... uncomfortable?

I know  I'm verging on asking for TMI -- but how did the bride know he was uncird?  Did he tell her to warn her what to expect?  Which to me would be an unusual conversation for a fundie couple to have.

• Upvote 2

Back in the day, my ex-in-laws were VERY open about how my ex-father-in-law had a circumcision as an adult. WAY WAY too much information, and it had happened before I even started dating my ex-husband, so...yeah. People can be very open about that sort of thing. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

Um. Wouldn't it be better to be circumsized well enough before the wedding that everything is healed, and the groom can consummate properly?

Why on earth would they push for AFTER the wedding? (Was it a timing issue?)

• Upvote 1

Nope he didn't go through with it. They got married and LOL'd at her parents and moved 6 hours away from them. 

She asked him. I honestly think more can go on between a fundie couple conversation and etc wise before marriage than one might think. ;) It did for us before we got married. And for a cousin of mine in an extreme  fundie cult, and several others I know. If the couple was already friends before getting serious, there was far more openness about all sorts of things. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 4

9 hours ago, EowynW said:

Nope he didn't go through with it. They got married and LOL'd at her parents and moved 6 hours away from them. 

She asked him. I honestly think more can go on between a fundie couple conversation and etc wise before marriage than one might think. ;) It did for us before we got married. And for a cousin of mine in an extreme  fundie cult, and several others I know. If the couple was already friends before getting serious, there was far more openness about all sorts of things. 

There are some fundie couples I’ve always imagined were very open before marriage. Michael Bates seems like a rather open person to me. Maybe not on tv, but in real life. They had a really long relationship before they married and I’ve always assumed they talked about much more than most fundie couples. There’s a lot to be said for the long courtships. I bet John and Abbie Duggar didn’t talk about a lot of topics because they moved so fast and weren’t close friends before courting. They are likely using this time to get to know one another much better because they went into marriage so quickly. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

• Georgiana locked this topic