IGNORED

M is for Mama 3: B is for Baby Boy Born

Jellybean

19 minutes ago, TuringMachine said:

What is happening with the ceiling over here?

51974164_293968994618332_5152553988166074757_n.thumb.jpg.a3017b2a8440de718ccfa06300c22785.jpg

From what I learned on the McMansion Hell blog, it’s a combination of bad measurements, poor architecture, and sub-par construction.  

Edited by catlady
Spellcheck fail
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 7
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 2

Looking at Braggie's "decor" increases my anxiety. I prefer a calm, minimalist style. Subtle color, clean lines, nothing overwhelming. 

Seriously, Braggie's house would make me itchier than walking through a field of fleas. 

• Upvote 9

I'm 36, and I like some elements of Abbie's decorating, like the bright colors and the wallpaper. While they're not necessarily anything I would seek out to put in my home, I do like the teal cabinets and the dove wallpaper. 

That said, her home seems so...impersonal...to me. She has ALL this crap EVERYWHERE and very little of it seems to actually have any meaning to her or her family. It's like a little bit would go much further in looking nice and cohesive. There's just too many colors, too much stuff, too much clutter, too many patterns...it's just too much. Also I think there's some issues with the scale of some of the furniture she chooses for those big rooms.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 4

I'm 30 and from Germany (I think that furniture styles, etc. are also a question of region).

I like some of Abbie's stye, but would take a more minimalistic approach since I more and more realize that I need to downsize to keep my mental health in order. I also love Joanna Gaine's farmhouse style and would add some of the colorful pieces that Braggie has at home.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

very little of it seems to actually have any meaning to her or her family

This was what got me interested in this thread in the first place. I read about her selling her home with EVERYTHING in it and had to know more. My house is not any style, I didn’t even know WTF MCM was until I googled it. But you could literally not offer me any amount of money for the contents of my home. The house, sure, but 95% of my stuff has a reason. Am I going to sell the bowls my mom threw when she was into pottery? Fuck no! The collection of painted rocks my son has gathered? Go to hell! The giant ass chest my mom gave me for my 21st birthday that serves no other purpose than being cool looking? Yeah, no. 

I cannot fathom living in a home so filled with shallow, meaningless junk that you could just hand it over to someone without a second thought. Honestly, this one is weirder to me than a lot of the other fundies on here and I know that’s saying something. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 8
  • Love 5

Bingo. You can make fun of my grandmother's 1950s porcelain poodles, but you can pry them out of my cold, dead hands. And I'll never replace them with three nondescript globes I bought at Hobby Lobby.

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 2

8 hours ago, danvillebelle said:

like *looking at* a LOT of different styles of decor.  I adore 70's interiors that pretty much everyone else thinks are horrid, because that's what I grew up with and it looks and feels homey and comfortable to me. 

Oh yes!!! It happens to me. I'm 42 and I love to watch old decor magazines or pictures or even movies with those horrid 70's (or early 80's) outfits and forniture. I feel nostalgic and tender. But I decor the absolute opposite style.

I don't like Braggie style but I see similar decoration in pinterest, so I assume it's a matter of fashion. The problem.with tendry decoration (specially bright coloured items or patterns) is that gets soon outdated and you have to redecorate.

I know she ignores her children, but even if she only does a (very) few chores and works a (very) few hours, I can't understand how can she dedicate so much time to decorate. Don't she sleep or what?

• Upvote 2

I am extremely attached to like 3% of the contents of my home. They are things that remind me of family members. I’m extremely unattached to the rest. I’m terribly practical so I could NEVER have a home like Braggie. So much of it is completely impractical. The example from my previous post about the wing back chair at the dinner table would DRIVE ME INSANE. It’s so very impractical! Why would I want to make my life harder just because it looks cute? No way. So some parts of my home are very ugly because practicality wins almost every time. 

• Upvote 6

I like Abbie's bright colours but would also pare it down by about 2/3. (Not to say my place is particularly well-decorated.) I am an older millenial who identifies her style as "bohemian without the hippie bullshit", by which I mean no Buddhas, cultural appropriation of spiritually significant things etc. Lately I've been thinking more minimalist bohemian: https://www.1stdibs.com/blogs/the-study/new-bohemian/

• Upvote 2

Braggie Abbie's house looks like she ransacked trendy pieces at Hobby Lobby and Goodwill and threw a coat of teal paint over all of it.

Edited by luv2laugh
  • Upvote 6
  • Haha 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

Word diarrhea over her Enneagram number, on and on and on, AbbieAbbieAbbie...to say at the end that Jesus doesn't care about any of it.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.  

Posting pic after pic of your wallpapered giant closet with the wonky badly designed ceiling is:

• Haha 6

On 3/8/2019 at 12:15 PM, luv2laugh said:

Braggie Abbie's house looks like she ransacked trendy pieces at Hobby Lobby and Goodwill and threw a coat of teal paint over all of it.

Probably what she actually did!

Im a millenial in my 20s in the upper midwest. I really like teals, blues, greens, reds in my house (bedspreads, towels, shower curtains, couches, throw pillows, chair cushions, etc.) but I like a lot of my furniture pretty basic, lots of black and wood, my couch is blue. I like the majority of my wall decor not because it looks good but because it means something to me or my husband. Sports teams, map of middle earth, photos, pictures we found on vacation, magnets from places we visit, etc. fill our walls. We have a few knick knacks, but I mostly make him keep them to specific areas, most of them mean something to him. We have a few really cool pieces (an old globe, hand carved wood decor, etc.) that would be nice to display better someday. I would like to have a bit more color in my walls and more wood/tile (or fake wood/tile) flooring as well as more beigey carpet rather than white, but we rent. I also like darker countertops and unpainted cabinets.

I hate how impersonal all of Braggie's decor is. I really love pieces people make themselves, receive as gifts, buy on vacation, etc. I also just like a lot LESS than she does, if she used about 1/3 of the decor in each room it wouldn't be my style, but at least it would look nice. I'm also not a huge fan of the farmhouse chic that's really in right now. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if the extra well behaved kids are really from her "gentleness initiative" or the kids just stepping on eggshells anticipating mom's next blow up

897050927_ScreenShot2019-03-20at8_30_19AM.thumb.png.d8ebb18f27eea79cd44a0adebb33332d.png

• Upvote 7

If someone who is always yelling at me or criticizing me suddenly started acting completely different, I'd be looking for the catch ? it's confusing for kids when someones behaviour changes dramatically, so yeah they might be working harder because they're feeling encouraged to take pride in their work, but they could also be on eggshells waiting for the other shoe to drop. Speaking from experience.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

There are few things I hate more in decorating than meticulous pillow arrangements.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, AliceInFundyland said:

There are few things I hate more in decorating than meticulous pillow arrangements.

And she "chided" the children for not doing it right. A woman with 8 children should have bigger priorities than meticulous pillow arranging. What a bitch. Also, I don't recall her talking about the 4 year olds rage issues before this. That's a strong word to use. I wonder what causes it. 

Edited by SuperNova
  • Upvote 14
  • I Agree 5

You know, I couldn’t care less about this broad’s interior decor—but I care a LOT about whether her kids are happy and getting a decent upbringing.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2

3 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

About a month ago, a team of friends did a whole house makeover for me and my kids.  It culminated in a full redo of my room and a bed which involves two sets of pillow shams and five decorative pillow.  Kept the most supportive deco pillow out to put behind my back in a chair, kept one for the bed, and tossed three deco pillows plus a set of shams into the closet.  Appreciate the thought, and it made a beautiful presentation when I walked in the first time but one human being and two cats do not need that many pillows!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 10

5 minutes ago, OyHiOh said:

About a month ago, a team of friends did a whole house makeover for me and my kids.  It culminated in a full redo of my room and a bed which involves two sets of pillow shams and five decorative pillow.  Kept the most supportive deco pillow out to put behind my back in a chair, kept one for the bed, and tossed three deco pillows plus a set of shams into the closet.  Appreciate the thought, and it made a beautiful presentation when I walked in the first time but one human being and two cats do not need that many pillows!

I’m right there with you! I hate having a bunch of extra decorative pillows! 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 6

...I do have a lot of functional pillows. There are prop me up pillows, hugging pillows, body pillows, a neck pillow, buckwheat hull pillows (this is the only one my head likes)  But fussy little decorative pillows can arrange themselves right out of here. And on a couch....there needs to be room for people!

• Upvote 10

Especially on a bed; you have to take them off so you can sleep in it!

• Upvote 6

I can’t beliebe this is the first time she’s noticed a bunch of unfollows. Actually I bet she has before. She just hasn’t said anything. 

43C63B52-998A-440C-A810-4897DC6CB58C.jpeg

BTW I don’t think they unfollowed her because she was talking about using a gentle voice. I think they unfollowed her because she was harsh with her children over arranging fucking PILLOWS. They didn’t arrange them perfectly and she was pissed. Who wants to follow an asshole like that? 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 11
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 4

i'm with all of you on the pillows.  my couch came with 2 pillows, but they're not particularly comfortable to lean on so they're in the attic.  i do have one bed pillow on the couch, because one of us will occasionally nod off in the living room after a long day.  now, afghans--afghans are my thing.  it's addiction-level, really.  i'm a pushover for a plush blanket and i have way too many, probably 15 to 20 in a household of three people.  i bought (another) one right after Christmas with a gift card that's plush on one side and fleece on the back and so warm and cozy, then last weekend i picked up a twin-sized plush that matches my couch and was 50% off.  more often than not, i'm feeling up afghans in Steinmart and Home Goods and forcibly telling myself not to put them in my cart.  and HG *always* has nice ones; i try to stay out of that store altogether.  

our living room tchotchkes are mostly limited to the glass pumpkins and flowers we've made in workshops at the Corning Museum of Glass.  they have a lot of sentimental value, so when i began clearing out dust-catchers a few years back, the glass projects were what got to stay.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

33 minutes ago, catlady said:

now, afghans--afghans are my thing.  it's addiction-level, really.

SOUL SISTER.  ?‍♀️

We have a lot of blankets.  A LOT.  OF BLANKETS.

We love plush ones.  We have lovely vintage quilts.  And I've crocheted around 20 over the years.  

If there's ever a deep freeze in East Texas, we're covered (har de har har). :dance:

• I Agree 2
  • Love 3

• Georgiana locked this topic