IGNORED

Maxwell 26: The Toothbrush Thing Is Real

HerNameIsBuffy

I wonder what they do when they're sick? I ask simply because I have been sick the past 3 days, with Friday & yesterday being particularly awful. While there were definitely things that needed to be done, I didn't do any of it. I spent the better part of those two days in bed - or being sick. While in bed, I went back & forth between stuff online, reading in small chunks when I could focus - literally & figuratively, sleeping, watching tv and sometimes just lying there, wallowing in my misery. I didn't answer texts or the phone, other than a few from my mom & sister. 

Today, there is vast improvement, but I am so worn out and sore from lying in bed for 48 hours, that I am still not doing anything productive. I did shower and pay some bills, but that took a lot of energy. A nap is in my very near future. 

Anyway, the point is - since they don't allow themselves any time to be idle, what is it like to be sick in Maxhell? 

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

I wonder what they do when they're sick? I ask simply because I have been sick the past 3 days, with Friday & yesterday being particularly awful. While there were definitely things that needed to be done, I didn't do any of it. I spent the better part of those two days in bed - or being sick. While in bed, I went back & forth between stuff online, reading in small chunks when I could focus - literally & figuratively, sleeping, watching tv and sometimes just lying there, wallowing in my misery. I didn't answer texts or the phone, other than a few from my mom & sister. 

Today, there is vast improvement, but I am so worn out and sore from lying in bed for 48 hours, that I am still not doing anything productive. I did shower and pay some bills, but that took a lot of energy. A nap is in my very near future. 

Anyway, the point is - since they don't allow themselves any time to be idle, what is it like to be sick in Maxhell? 

I'd think that would be the one benefit to their lifestyle.  They have the "luxury" of being able to rest when sick without pushing themselves through work and other obligations and there are plenty of people around to bring them tea, cinnamon toast, and Smith Bros. cough drops.

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 9:01 PM, catlady said:

primary caregiver of a non-verbal disabled man; it'll be a trio.

I'm a relative of a person with a neuromuscular disease, and a relative of a little one with autism.  Spent over 20 years caring for profoundly disabled, both physically and mentally.  If Sarah takes it upon herself to include disabled characters in what some might call her books, she damn well better treat those characters with honesty and compassion.

16 hours ago, Jana814 said:

I think Steve definitely considers himself as a pastor. I wonder if the members of their church call him Pastor Steve or Pastor Maxwell. 

You mean to his face?  I'd like to know what they call him behind his back.  :evil-laugh:

New post up. Teri scheduled the family picture in September*! Mary drew a sketch of who should stand where! Some friends helped! Everyone wore puffy sleeveless jackets! And then they had food and played. Another exciting day in Maxhell, that just happens to look exactly like last year's picture day. And the one from the year before. 

* perhaps a dig at FJ as we were wondering what she does with her days. Here we go, she schedules picture day once a year. Big job that. No cause for snark. 

3 hours ago, Foudeb said:

New post up. Teri scheduled the family picture in September*! Mary drew a sketch of who should stand where! Some friends helped! Everyone wore puffy sleeveless jackets! And then they had food and played. Another exciting day in Maxhell, that just happens to look exactly like last year's picture day. And the one from the year before. 

* perhaps a dig at FJ as we were wondering what she does with her days. Here we go, she schedules picture day once a year. Big job that. No cause for snark. 

But it’s different because a pregnant Chelsy is involved! John got his own family picture! Last year he was relegated to the “immediate family picture.” 

Soon will just be just Steve, Teri, and the girls. Sad.

Benji is just too adorable! Everyone looks modern and nice and then there’s Chris’s family with the frumpers at the end, it just makes the photo look off. 

Interesting that there isn't a picture of the "immediate" family. They always do one with just the unmarried kidults and Steve and Teri. Perhaps they felt it looked weird. 

The picture of Elissa and Joe and the kids is a nice one of them, but it being off center annoys me. 

And I just realized so is Chris and Anna and the kids pic. Ugh, I hate that. 

On 11/18/2018 at 7:39 AM, Jana814 said:

I wonder if the members of their church call him Pastor Steve or Pastor Maxwell. 

I think the vast majority call him dad.  Or grandpa.  Side of effect of breeding your own church.

This got me thinking ... I wonder what their daughters in law call them?  For some reason I can't imagine an informal Steve and Teri, and mom and dad would be weird considering they don't even consider their own kids immediate family after marriage.

Father Steve sounds too Catholic ... do we know what they call them?

What did Nathan and Jesse do wrong that they didn't deserve a Maxwell man puffy down vest?

I do like that shade of purple in the theme.

And if I were fundy I'd go full on frumper.  And bonnets.  Go big or go home, I always say.

18 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I think the vast majority call him dad.  Or grandpa.  Side of effect of breeding your own church.

True. But I thought they had other outside the family in the church. 

The puffy vests. Me thinks they're making and idol of down vests & flannel type shirts. 

As always, Sarah is relegated to a stool in front that is far too low for her. Clearly indicating her childlike status.

The pictures are over exposed. When you can't see the white t-shirts under the girl's jumpers because they blend in with their face, someone might want to learn a bit about photography. 

3 hours ago, ophelia said:

I really like Nathan's and Melanie's family photo!

And Elissa looks stunning!!

I thought the same thing. Elissa is gorgeous.

Gosh Sarah--so on trend! Showing the goofy photos and the mess of all those [say it with me, people] "littles". Each "crew" together and, of course, last year's big thing--old barn wood. Wow.

Am I alone in being monumentally pissed at the captions reading “The [Man’s Name] Maxwell Family”? Women and children last! Patriarchy 4-evah!

Shit, patriarchal stuff aside and discounting the Maxwellian way of turning even the most mundane molehills into mountains, I give them mad props for managing to get even one good family photo. Even in smaller families, it's like herding cats. We once gifted my parents with a family photo session. We booked a fancy-schmancy NYC photography studio (this was in the early 90s, when portraiture was still somewhat formal), somehow managed to clear our schedules (in a very un-Teri-like manner, mainly by saying "Hey, we booked for Saturday next month. You good? Great.") and we had possibly the worst photo session in the history of photography. My daughter puked all over herself as soon as we got over the bridge (no change of clothes), same with my nephew who had an explosive poop, no one managed to look at the camera or smile at the same time and NO ONE got the message about coordinating clothes (not that we had a message in the first place). There wasn't one single photo that didn't have at least one person who looked like they just smelled a fart. Since there were no good ones to choose from, we decided to choose the worst—it was THE awkward family photo—just for laughs and the whole thing ended up being a great, funny family memory. 

55 minutes ago, Hane said:

Am I alone in being monumentally pissed at the captions reading “The [Man’s Name] Maxwell Family”? Women and children last! Patriarchy 4-evah!

Nope, I noticed that too.  Assholes.  Scary Mary and Forgotten Jesse look like a couple posing with their daughter niece Bethany.  Poor Sarah looks like a child, again.  The immediate family will be posted on Thurs for Turkey Day.

DSC_1386-425x284.jpg

39 minutes ago, SPHASH said:

Nope, I noticed that too.  Assholes.  Scary Mary and Forgotten Jesse look like a couple posing with their daughter niece Bethany.  Poor Sarah looks like a child, again.  The immediate family will be posted on Thurs for Turkey Day.

DSC_1386-425x284.jpg

They should have planned the Jesse/Anna/Sarah poses better, that just looks weird. Nathan on the end with Bethany standing with them and all three siblings together in the back. That would have looked better and made more sense. 

6 hours ago, anjulibai said:

Interesting that there isn't a picture of the "immediate" family. They always do one with just the unmarried kidults and Steve and Teri. Perhaps they felt it looked weird.

Maybe Jessie is already in a courtship and is leaving the immediate family and if they excluded him it would be telling, so they skipped it to not raise eyebrows.

2 hours ago, sparkles said:

Since there were no good ones to choose from, we decided to choose the worst—it was THE awkward family photo—just for laughs and the whole thing ended up being a great, funny family memory. 

I so wish we could see it, sounds amazing!

5 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

This got me thinking ... I wonder what their daughters in law call them?  For some reason I can't imagine an informal Steve and Teri, and mom and dad would be weird considering they don't even consider their own kids immediate family after marriage.

Father Steve sounds too Catholic ... do we know what they call them?

What did Nathan and Jesse do wrong that they didn't deserve a Maxwell man puffy down vest?

I do like that shade of purple in the theme.

And if I were fundy I'd go full on frumper.  And bonnets.  Go big or go home, I always say.

I feel like Anna Marie has called them "Mom and Dad Maxwell" (or rather, Dad and Mom Maxwell) in guest posts? Am I making that up?

And I agree, I'm a frumper fan.

I also would love to know What the ones who married in the family call the in-laws. I only had my paternal grandmother, my mother & my aunt called her mom. I know that’s not the norm. 

58 minutes ago, freethemall said:

Maybe Jessie is already in a courtship and is leaving the immediate family and if they excluded him it would be telling, so they skipped it to not raise eyebrows.

Nah, last year when they knew John was getting married in about two months and they still had him in the immediate family pic. Maybe we'll get it in a few days. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived