HerNameIsBuffy

15 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

What did Aunt Nicole do?!? So many possible fan theories:

Wore pants like a hussy

Watched SpongeBob SquarePants one time

Didn't break her day down into fifteen-minute increments

Seasoned her burrito beans

Didn't dust her ceiling fans

Divulged to the world the dangerous forbidden technique of cutting lettuce with a pizza cutter

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

I’ve also been tempted to get a Moody book in the past for snark purposes, but am also wary of lining Stevie’s pockets. 

There are tons of used copies on Amazon. Steve will never see a dime (and you will likely be buying from a small business or a charity)

1 hour ago, Lisafer said:

I did notice the subtle ageism in the first chapter (Emma thinks the neighbor's eyesight is good "for her age"). Come on, Sarah. Age does not define people or their abilities. Also note the unspecified "exclamation" that Miss Karr uses when her cat jumps off her lap. What did she say that was so terrible? Son of a seabiscuit? 

Has she not noticed how many of her nieces and nephews need glasses? And here I sit, older than Teri, typing away without need for corrective lenses (and I've never had Lasix).

3 hours ago, Lisafer said:

I read the samples--or at least as much as I could handle. I think Sarah was really trying, because there's a slightly different tone when compared to the Moody books. The dialogue isn't quite as stilted, the mother is actually involved with her children, and people outside the immediate family are involved in this story.

I agree.  Perhaps Anna's input has improved the action scenes and the dialogue is definitely better.  And they go to the library themselves!  The Moodys had to wait until Dad borrowed books for them.  There were even a couple of metaphors in there. 

As an aside, friends of mine were once trying to break their children of the "like" habit.  Like, seriously.  In one conversation the son began a sentence with "Like ..." Dad reproved him, and the son complained reproachfully, "Dad, you just interrupted me en route to a metaphor."

Mind you, Miss Karr is really set up as the evil crone in dire need of salvation from the start.  Sarah usually only describes people by hair color and texture but Miss Carr's "sleeveless" dress hangs on her "like a limp flag."  The hussy.

Pam's "lopsided" smile and habit of "slurping" coffee show that she needs saving too.  And, good grief!  She sleeps in on Sunday.  Brooke, 14 year old girls shouldn't pester their elders to go to church.  That is positively Mollie Moody of you.  But God will make Pam's smile straight and improve her manners, I'm sure.

As for Emma Rae, she is just an average unsaved sinful girl of 10.  She is accidentally rude, she thinks people should wear ear phones in the library so she doesn't have to keep quiet, and she eavesdrops!  She needs Jesus, pronto!

29 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Mind you, Miss Karr is really set up as the evil crone in dire need of salvation from the start.  Sarah usually only describes people by hair color and texture but Miss Carr's "sleeveless" dress hangs on her "like a limp flag."  The hussy.

So Miss Karr really is a metaphor for Free Jinger? :laughing-rollingred:She probably drinks wine, too.

16 minutes ago, Lisafer said:

So Miss Karr really is a metaphor for Free Jinger? :laughing-rollingred:She probably drinks wine, too.

I think so.  And she's a gossip.  I bet she's snarky as well.

37 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

I think so.  And she's a gossip.  I bet she's snarky as well.

She sounds fun!  She can come sit by me after her literary shunning which you know is going to happen.

4 hours ago, SPHASH said:

I wonder if Aunt Nicole had something to do with Dad's high school accident.

What is Dad's accident is a baby born of a teenage pregnancy out of wedlock? Aunt Nicole is her mom's sister and their double first cousin/half sibling keeps getting their dad fired.

Because only those without sin can remain employed for any length of time.

My sons went to a Lutheran school from K through 8th.  For Christmas, most of the classes exchanged $5 gifts, but when the kids got older they started doing community service type gifts.  One year I  contacted the local AWARE shelter and asked what they needed.  Their list back in the late 90's had disposable cameras, sweatshirts and pants, underwear and socks.  They would get women inbound who had been beaten or raped and their clothes were kept by the police for evidence, and they would arrive in hospital gowns.  Some women arrive with just the clothes on their back.  The sweat suits could be used for both street clothes and to sleep in, and  could fit all shapes and sizes.   Most of the kids thought it was a wonderful way to support the community, but we had a few parents protest.  They didn't want their kids to be exposed "those type of people."   We also asked for donations of travel size soaps, shampoos and sample toothpaste and brushes from dentists to put together hygiene packs.  

8 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

What is Dad's accident is a baby born of a teenage pregnancy out of wedlock? Aunt Nicole is her mom's sister and their double first cousin/half sibling keeps getting their dad fired.

Because only those without sin can remain employed for any length of time.

:fainting:

No, he was injured in high school.   I think he needs saving too because he thinks it wasn't his fault and he is a victim.

And Miss Karr will be shunned but then sent to a Nursing Home where she can't escape relentless conversion attempts because Daddy Clarke controls her wheelchair.

I think the Dad got injured at school as he witnessed an eyeful of cleavage when his female teacher bent down to pick up something. It wasn’t his fault as the female teachers husband should not of allowed her to dress like a tart.

2 minutes ago, johnhugh said:

I think the Dad got injured at school as he witnessed an eyeful of cleavage when his female teacher bent down to pick up something. It wasn’t his fault as the female teachers husband should not of allowed her to dress like a tart.

Maybe she had a wardrobe malfunction and a contrasting button put his eye out.

1 hour ago, johnhugh said:

I think the high school injury sliced through his vas deferens and he had to have a surgical repair in order to bear arrows for the Lord. He suffers from post-op testicle pain.

It was laid onto my heart that my ‘children’  would put a dollar in a envelope until the new book could be bought dept free.

hi Stevie x

terrie not doing the reply’s?

On November 13, 2018 at 3:37 PM, Palimpsest said:

Nonsense.  We all know that Noah put two unicorns on the Ark.  But only one got off because the other one was accidentally eaten by a hungry dinosaur.

Y'all. A couple months ago I had to print a promo thing consisting of a preview of a book about the Ark. By a guy who is absolutely sure he has found the remains of the Ark on Mt. Ararat, and has been working with the locals "who have always known it was there" and some "scientists".

He has an explanation for why the predators on the Ark didn't eat the rest of the animals.

Giant paleolithic chickpeas.

That may be my favorite phrase this year. Apparently he's found evidence of "giant paleolithic chickpeas" that provided enough protein to satisfy the carnivores so all the animals lived happily cooped up together in the Ark.

I'm not sure who's kookier, this guy or the colloidal silver nose spray lady. I miss the fake weed people and the bondage society. We get some interesting customers!

Those sample chapters are a small improvement, but ugh...this is just bad

Poor Sarah, I imagine she must have been quite proud of this mess, and probably thinks she's made great strides as a writer

33 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

Y'all. A couple months ago I had to print a promo thing consisting of a preview of a book about the Ark. By a guy who is absolutely sure he has found the remains of the Ark on Mt. Ararat, and has been working with the locals "who have always known it was there" and some "scientists".

He has an explanation for why the predators on the Ark didn't eat the rest of the animals.

Giant paleolithic chickpeas.

That may be my favorite phrase this year. Apparently he's found evidence of "giant paleolithic chickpeas" that provided enough protein to satisfy the carnivores so all the animals lived happily cooped up together in the Ark.

I'm not sure who's kookier, this guy or the colloidal silver nose spray lady. I miss the fake weed people and the bondage society. We get some interesting customers!

This sounds like he has talked to Ken Ham, if the creation museum and ark encounter.  

I spent several hours one day looking at videos of people going through the Ark Encounter on You Tube.  There are some goofy thoughts... like (and don’t quote me on this because I may misspeak on the details)...  dinosaurs are proof there was a flood because that’s how they got fossilized... and that there were dinosaur-like animals on the ark.  He addressed the carnivore thing too but I forget now what he said.  

15 minutes ago, freejugar said:

Those sample chapters are a small improvement, but ugh...this is just bad

Poor Sarah, I imagine she must have been quite proud of this mess, and probably thinks she's made great strides as a writer

The sad thing is, there's probably a bunch of people on Free Jinger who could sincerely and helpfully critique and edit her works, if she wanted help! Just reading her samples makes me want to start fixing things.

Sarah's writing is especially noticeable in November, when there are tons and tons of other people writing for NaNoWriMo. 

It's a little sad that her drivel gets published, when I'm sure there are many (much better)  authors whose work will never see the light of day.

21 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

I also noticed that, about how Emma seems to have a non-family friend. The Moodys only ever interacted with each other and “the elderly”. 

I’ve also been tempted to get a Moody book in the past for snark purposes, but am also wary of lining Stevie’s pockets. 

I got one when it was free for Kindle. Oiy. Even the Castleberry books on courtship are better.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived