IGNORED

Maxwell 26: The Toothbrush Thing Is Real

HerNameIsBuffy

2 hours ago, LilMissMetaphor said:

Seriously though, what 8-year-old wants to fix lawn mowers? All the 8-year-olds I know, mine included, are into Youtube and Minecraft and video games and online shit.

Maybe fundie 8-year-olds fix lawn mowers?? 

I'm sure my dad was probably doing that sort of stuff at eight. Then again, he was born in the forties, and used to light mule farts for fun, so clearly they were lacking in entertainment back then. 

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, LilMissMetaphor said:

Seriously though, what 8-year-old wants to fix lawn mowers? All the 8-year-olds I know, mine included, are into Youtube and Minecraft and video games and online shit.

Maybe Pa Clarke's high school injury was an unfortunate lawnmower repair accident. Or Aunt Nicole will orchestrate for her husband to die at the hands of a rogue lawnmower so that she can take over the cult compound as patriarch-regent for her psychopathic son, who is betrothed to Mollie Moody. 

11 hours ago, LilMissMetaphor said:

I'm guessing that character is based on Jesse.  He did small engine repair as one of his jobs growing up.  Plus he strikes me as somewhat quiet and kind of in the background in Maxworld.

15 hours ago, deborahlynn1979 said:

Well, to be fair, she’s self-publishing, which anyone can do these days. I’d he far more horrified if an actual publisher was behind this, instead of Mommy and Daddy.

This, exactly. Any writer who finds themselves whistful over Sarah's "published" books - remember, she is not using a reputable publishing company. She is backed by her parents. She is published by her parents. She is "edited" by her parents. There is not one thing about her books that is part of the actual world of writing & publishing. Self published books have no actual standards. 

3 hours ago, fundiefan said:

This, exactly. Any writer who finds themselves whistful over Sarah's "published" books - remember, she is not using a reputable publishing company. She is backed by her parents. She is published by her parents. She is "edited" by her parents. There is not one thing about her books that is part of the actual world of writing & publishing. Self published books have no actual standards. 

Last year I took a creative writing class given by a published novelist. She gave us a lot of valuable info on the relative merits of self-publishing vs. traditional publishing. 

I just read the sample of Sarah’s latest book, and was amazed at how much better it was than her earlier ones. It’s not perfect, but I see glimmers of actual character development, suspense, and crisis.

20 hours ago, Lisafer said:

Ok, I actually don't mean this as snarky: based on the picture and the mention of Ethan "not talking," could Sarah be trying to portray a child with a disability? I could see the drawing as being a not-great attempt at depicting a child with Down's Syndrome.

Mother of a non-verbal kid with a disability here.

I haven't read the book and will never pick it up.  But IF Sarah starts including kids with disabilities in her attempts at writing I will totally lose my shit and reserve the right to send Sarah (via Steve, or course) all sorts of critical messages.  My concern is that the only reason Sarah would include a person with a disability in her what-some-would-call-stories would be to offer some sort of sanctimonious, as well as theologically unsound and probably offensive, message.  

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 10:01 PM, johnhugh said:

It was laid onto my heart that my ‘children’  would put a dollar in a envelope until the new book could be bought dept free.

hi Stevie x

terrie not doing the reply’s?

Better you should spend that $$on toilet paper--at least TP is useful.

12 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Maybe Pa Clarke's high school injury was an unfortunate lawnmower repair accident. Or Aunt Nicole will orchestrate for her husband to die at the hands of a rogue lawnmower so that she can take over the cult compound as patriarch-regent for her psychopathic son, who is betrothed to Mollie Moody. 

Oh, hell no!  Aunt Nicole is a screeching, dog groomer wanna be who insults Jeebus with her working outside her feces-littered acreage.  Aunt Nicole is such a bad influence because Ma Clarke wants to groom dogs, too, so her family can stop buying mystery canned food.  Maybe Pa's high school injury occurred when he tried to grow what some might call dreads, and his hair got caught up in a lawnmower.  And maybe Ma Clarke was operating that mower while wearing a bikini.

We'll never know.

On 11/15/2018 at 11:33 AM, Lisafer said:

The thing is, if you publish anything, you will get bad reviews. I've had extremely negative reviews of my work. I read them and either laugh or try to use them to improve. Of course, it's usually because my books are "ungodly" or have "too much sex." If somebody called my work "boring" I'd be far more concerned that I'd messed something up.

Sarah is an adult. She published and put it out there. Criticism aids growth, imo.

But I don't think she reads here, and I wouldn't diss her on Amazon because I feel like that's unprofessional on my part.

From what I can tell Sarah wasn't allowed to read the Amazon reviews for her book given that daddy did all of the replying.

19 hours ago, LilMissMetaphor said:

I'm guessing children that don't have access to tv, the internet, and video games.

17 hours ago, Alisamer said:

I'm sure my dad was probably doing that sort of stuff at eight. Then again, he was born in the forties, and used to light mule farts for fun, so clearly they were lacking in entertainment back then. 

How did they know when the mules were going to fart? Did they just stand there with torches hoping? Lol

18 minutes ago, Dru said:

How did they know when the mules were going to fart? Did they just stand there with torches hoping? Lol

I have never gotten the nerve to ask, honestly.

4 hours ago, daisyjane1234 said:

Mother of an adult who was once a non-verbal kid with a disability.   I'm with you.

On 11/15/2018 at 5:18 PM, deborahlynn1979 said:

Well, to be fair, she’s self-publishing, which anyone can do these days. I’d he far more horrified if an actual publisher was behind this, instead of Mommy and Daddy.

You mean Dad and Mom.

6 hours ago, daisyjane1234 said:

1 hour ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Mother of an adult who was once a non-verbal kid with a disability.   I'm with you.

primary caregiver of a non-verbal disabled man; it'll be a trio.

On 11/15/2018 at 9:33 AM, Alisamer said:

Giant paleolithic chickpeas.

FJ is an unending source of great band names.

So Sarah likes naming characters. Such a shame it’s unlikely to translate into naming actual children. 

I finally had the chance to get caught up watching The Handmaid's Tale.  

It occurred to me that Steve would feel VERY at home in Gilead.  How terrifying is that?

33 minutes ago, daisyjane1234 said:

I finally had the chance to get caught up watching The Handmaid's Tale.  

It occurred to me that Steve would feel VERY at home in Gilead.  How terrifying is that?

I just caught up this week too! 

I don't know if Steve would support Gilead though. In a lot of ways, the idea fits almost too perfectly.

But, women aren't allowed to read or write in Gilead. What would Steve do if Sarah couldn't write books to pad his bank account? If she couldn't write the blog?  If Teri couldn't write about her homeschooling and scheduling obsession? 

3 hours ago, albanuadh_1 said:

Gee, Terri is behind in her Mom's Corner! No new one since Oct.2. That timetable is working out well for her, isn't it!

That's because she doesn't actually write them anymore. Sarah does. They admitted that at one of their last conferences, I believe. Sarah's been busy finishing up the book, so no time to write the corners. 

16 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

But, women aren't allowed to read or write in Gilead. What would Steve do if Sarah couldn't write books to pad his bank account? If she couldn't write the blog?  If Teri couldn't write about her homeschooling and scheduling obsession? 

Just assign Jesse the role of Maxwell scribe and have him write for them.  

15 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

That's because she doesn't actually write them anymore. Sarah does. They admitted that at one of their last conferences, I believe. Sarah's been busy finishing up the book, so no time to write the corners. 

Huh?  So we know what keeps Sarah, Anna, and Mary busy (ostensibly) but what does Teri do then?

Besides the rare spa day where she homeschools how does she spend her days?  There are only so many hours in a day you can clean an already tidy house and they sure don't have elaborate meal prep to do.

Maybe this is a little snarky, but I'm genuinely curious - what does she do?  Not to sound like a fundy but having a sense of purpose is good for one mentally, what's hers?

On 11/16/2018 at 12:05 PM, Dru said:

I'm thinking you don't have to stand around waiting long for a mule to let one fly. If they're anything like horses, that is.

8 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Maybe this is a little snarky, but I'm genuinely curious - what does she do?  Not to sound like a fundy but having a sense of purpose is good for one mentally, what's hers?

If there's one things the girls have shows it's that doing very little can be made to look productive if you really want to make it so.

I'm sure whatever chores are left for Teri to do are done to the nth degree, then there are long walks, personal 'time with the Lord', checking internet history reports, checking and re-checking the Almighty Schedule, reading the few approved books she has mentioned, assisting at meal-times, occasional visits of the grandkids. Last year she occupied herself with a totally unnecessary update of one of her books so I wouldn't be surprised if she does something like that too. 

I also wouldn't be surprised if - since Steve seems himself as a pastor - she sees herself as a pastor's wife, so she occasionally does pastor's wife things like meeting with the neighbours, visiting the elderly who attend the nursing home church, that kind of thing.

9 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Steve seems himself as a pastor - she sees herself as a pastor's wife, so she occasionally does pastor's wife things like meeting with the neighbours, visiting the elderly who attend the nursing home church, that kind of thing.

I think Steve definitely considers himself as a pastor. I wonder if the members of their church call him Pastor Steve or Pastor Maxwell. 

19 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I think she writes lists and then checks old lists and is amazed of their beauty. And then she comes up with cool blog posts ideas like "when was the first time or the last time you did this or that". I'm pretty sure she was working on a new list but couldn't remember much. 

Keeping "busy" by following the schedule is basically the Maxwell trademark. 

So Teri doesn't actually have to be productive, she just has to fill out her calendar with meaningless 15 min. tasks, like gathering needle and thread to prepare for the next-day task of sewing a button. 

Everything takes them an incredible amount of time (4 days to cook beans, anyone?) because they don't actually have much to do but think it's sinful to sit down and read a book.

5 minutes ago, usedbicycle said:

Keeping "busy" by following the schedule is basically the Maxwell trademark. 

So Teri doesn't actually have to be productive, she just has to fill out her calendar with meaningless 15 min. tasks, like gathering needle and thread to prepare for the next-day task of sewing a button. 

Everything takes them an incredible amount of time (4 days to cook beans, anyone?) because they don't actually have much to do but think it's sinful to sit down and read a book.

I bet their baseboards are surgically sterile.  

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived