IGNORED

Josie and Kelton 3: Living in the White Evangelical Bubble

Coconut Flan

I am deeply sorry everyone. 

One more thing, and back to cute toddler stories, please, I like it.

@Hisey I am calling you on your shit too. You are pot stirring and you know it.

You evade. You are engaging with a known troll in a thread with an adverse opinion to the crowd. And you have done it before. You do this semi- often. You feign ignorance. And then you will nitpick the one tiny thing in this comment that will not align.

I know you know because you read the Bates threads with regularity and participated in this discussion with this poster before.

End sentiment.

PSA ... I see the other @Alice in Fundieland has been unfortunately alerted to my shenanigans again :) My apologies to her. We get mixed up.

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Kailash said:

@HerNameIsBuffy After you cook both pot roasts, freeze the meat from one. Easy and delicious meals await!

Thabks - I was going to ask in cooking about that ... it won’t dry out upon reheating?

my mom made bbq been with  left over pot roast but only 1 out of 4 of us a fan.

Just now, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Thabks - I was going to ask in cooking about that ... it won’t dry out upon reheating?

my mom made bbq been with  left over pot roast but only 1 out of 4 of us a fan.

It probably depends on what you use it for. I had some roast that I froze and then later used it in soup. It was delicious.

Women, trades & apprenticeships. 

The place I worked on the east coast had its own apprentice school. 4 year program, finish with an AAS and journeyman's papers. There were female electricians, pipefitters, welders, designers, dimensional control techs, NDT techs, etc. It was wide open to both sexes. The only one that didn't get a lot of female interest was the foundry. But there, size/strength DID matter so it was still a bastion of men. 

I know female ASE certified auto techs, body & paint techs, and a variety of other "non-standard female" occupations. Hell, my occupation is a "non-standard female" occupation. I THINK I'm one of 2 female detailers in the company. Damn shame too. 2 year degree, good money, easy-ass work in an office. Thing is, it involves computers and math. 

There's a lot to be said for apprenticeships and trade schools for both men and women, starting with a free education. MOST places that have apprenticeships (including unions) also have tuition reimbursement programs to go further. Almost every company I've worked for has had a tuition reimbursement program. Where I work now does, I'm just trying to figure out if I want to go back to school again in my 50's. I'm leaning towards no, skate out the next 5 years then go part time until I'm too old and decrepit to go into an office anymore. 

5 hours ago, Naughty&nice said:

Im not sure why agreeing with @just_ordinary that this conversation was going too far makes me a troll.   It just seems to me that some of you have an over-the-top reaction to Kelton.   It's fine to dislike him.  It's fine to think he's creepy.  I just think getting vibes that tell you that he's probably abusing his wife is going too far.

As for uninformed opinions,  Ive never met a female plumber.  As a matter of fact, I've probably had a hundred tradespeople do work for me over the years and not one carpenter, plumber, roofer, electrician, tile layer, mason, painter or landscaper was ever female (& I don't live in the south). I don't think most woman  want to do these types of jobs.  I cant see any barriers to entry for them.  I looked it up and it seems the entire plumbing/pipe-laying industry in the US is less that 1.5% female.  It is pretty dirty work.  I wouldn't want to crawl around under peoples houses in animal feces and open up sewer lines.  YUK. 

I actually did want to go into plumbing (possibly carpentry, but mostly plumbing) but the only reason I didn’t was because I didn’t want to deal with the shit that comes with being the lone female working amongst men, especially the rough-neck types.

Occupations are still gendered. That's the reason there are so few male nurses and teachers, or female plumbers and electricians. The trades pay far better than "women's work", even when a degree is needed for said work. There are men who choose trade school who would do fine in college and I know someone who has done both. This man is extremely mechanically talented though and enjoys the skilled trades, which requires a great deal of problem-solving and analytical ability. He doesn't mind getting dirty. I know a young lady who works on a road crew, very intelligent college-educated woman who decided making $44 an hour was better than staying clean working in a medical facility. She doesn't mind getting dirty either.

58 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

There are men who choose trade school who would do fine in college and I know someone who has done both. This man is extremely mechanically talented though and enjoys the skilled trades, which requires a great deal of problem-solving and analytical ability. He doesn't mind getting dirty. I know a young lady who works on a road crew, very intelligent college-educated woman who decided making $44 an hour was better than staying clean working in a medical facility. She doesn't mind getting dirty either.

I have a friend who is an electrical engineer AND a master electrician. He also has his inspector's license. He can make more $$ in 2 days as a master or GC than he can in a week as an engineer. I have a friend who "retired" from her first job as a senior designer and now runs her own painting company. Girl is ROLLING in $$! She started the company with herself and a female friend of hers as the crew, working nights and weekends before she retired, and has grown that business into a real money-making concern. 

An interesting side thought is both of these friends of mine are black. 

I see women on the road crews here, heavy equipment operators mostly. It pays a helluva lot more than cocktailing or being a maid in a hotel. However, I think LV is a bit more progressive in many ways, there seems to be more opportunities to learn a trade here than other places I've lived. There's the carpenters, painters, electricians, stage hands, operating engineers unions here. They all run apprenticeships. Some of the high schools have magnet Vo-Tech programs so the kids graduate ready to go straight into the apprenticeship, with some classes already done, all they need are their hours to start climbing the ladder. Hell, they start off at close to 30 bucks an hour and a master makes about 70/hr and they're qualified to become inspectors or GCs. 

If I'd stayed employed continuously, I'd be commanding somewhere north of 40 bucks an hour right now, but I sort of went back to the bottom when I went from piping/mechanical design to trade show design, but considering it's trying to teach an old dog new tricks, I don't do too badly. I also get calls/emails from recruiters all the time wanting me to jump. Thing is, where I am now is steady work with fabulous benefits. I like that a helluva lot more. And the company is a union shop. 

14 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

@Hisey I am calling you on your shit too. You are pot stirring You are engaging with a known troll in a thread with an adverse opinion to the crowd.

That’s right,  keep the little fishies in line.  Wouldn’t want them speaking up in your echo chamber.  Someone might hear them and intelligent debate might take place. 

1 hour ago, Naughty&nice said:

That’s right,  keep the little fishies in line.  Wouldn’t want them speaking up in your echo chamber.  Someone might hear them and intelligent debate might take place. 

When have you ever personally contributed anything that could be called ‘intelligent’ to any debate here? If you’d like to start now, please, by all means, go ahead. Be the change you want to see in the echo chamber.

I’m going to throw in some light hearted silliness for a moment. Maybe a much needed humor break with a picture of Kelton trying not to cry (which is sweet) but it looks like he’s trying not to fart. 

19A9D776-8C1A-4550-9D0C-6408E9D22D7E.jpeg

Look at those wide stances! I know no men who stand like that, I would think their hemorrhoids were bothering them or something. Fundies are weird.

22 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

When have you ever personally contributed anything that could be called ‘intelligent’ to any debate here? If you’d like to start now, please, by all means, go ahead. Be the change you want to see in the echo chamber.

She did allow room for our lovely and outspoken @feministxtian to give an intelligent exposition on women in trade. 

I suppose my Silence of The Fishies allowed for A Circling of The Sharks, as it were

37 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

Look at those wide stances! I know no men who stand like that, I would think their hemorrhoids were bothering them or something. Fundies are weird.

Maybe that’s why he has that look on his face. 

42 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Does Kelton work for his uncle or his dad?

Uncle

17 hours ago, kmachete14 said:

My uninformed (well, slightly informed) idea:

There are a lot more women, and a lot more high-achieving women, going to college than men. So, women are taking the college route rather than the trade school route (a la whichever poster said her all-girls Catholic high school only considered them going to higher ed).

I am not dissing trade school, but I do think men going to trade school a) can't afford college / won't get scholarships  b) aren't good at traditional school or c) want to have a stable income more quickly due to pressures to be a man, raise a family, etc.

Girls get into college more easily and are more often better at traditional school. Lower income girls with good grades are being encouraged to go to college to become doctors, not to "Settle" for trade school. Lower income boys often have worse grades (through many diff reasons), and thus miss the boat for college and are encouraged to go to trade schools. 

This is all true but the most important factor by far for women not being in those professions is not all that. It’s that girls are steered away from those kinds of tracks in grade school and girls and boys are socialized to to think those aren’t “natural” or appropriate for women. Boys are much more encouraged to get their hands dirty during play and education while girls are directed towards different routes. 

While I’m sure a lot of young men go to those types of technical schools as a back up, think of all the women who do other types of technical training, like hairdressing or cosmetology. There’s a pretty clear differentiation between what technical areas are more socially acceptable for men and women. 

Incidentally I met a an electrician recently who is about 30, a typically feminine looking woman who is into makeup and “girly” things and really enjoys her profession. She said she gets lots of shocked people when she turns up for appointments.  

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m going to throw in some light hearted silliness for a moment. Maybe a much needed humor break with a picture of Kelton trying not to cry (which is sweet) but it looks like he’s trying not to fart. 

Or, Kelton "dealt" it and the other guy "smelled" it.

4 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

"Oh god, it wasn't a fart." Never trust a fart, Kelton! :P

I didn’t realize that ‘expressing an adverse opinion to the crowd’ is not encouraged on FJ. I’m hoping that that was just unfortunate wording. 

3 hours ago, Eponine said:

This is all true but the most important factor by far for women not being in those professions is not all that. It’s that girls are steered away from those kinds of tracks in grade school and girls and boys are socialized to to think those aren’t “natural” or appropriate for women. Boys are much more encouraged to get their hands dirty during play and education while girls are directed towards different routes. 

This is true. If you look back, 40 years ago, designers were ALL men, wore black pants, white shirts and ties to work and the females were relegated to secretarial type positions. 

There was an interesting documentary on YouTube (I'll have to try and find it) on the attitudes when women engineers started working at NASA...disregard Linda Ham though, she's the bitch who wouldn't sign off on getting the USAF to try to get pictures of Columbia (STS-107) on orbit to see how badly the wing was damaged. 

I can only speak from my own experience as a teacher, but the old stereotypes are pretty much out, at least in Catholic and public middle school in Chicago, Boston, and NYC. 

Girls aren't steered away from anything, in fact, most of everything is geared TOWARDS showing young girls they can be anything they want, STEM is fun, women are strong, etc. 

Boys, on the other hand, are getting in trouble because they can't sit still, haven't mastered fine motor skills, and can't keep their desks organized.  While girls are concentrated as average, with a few outliers, boys are usually found either at the top of the class or at the bottom needing accommodations. 

Every student news outlet is constantly publishing articles that showcase girl power, black girl magic, female role models, etc. 

Nobody is treating girls more harshly for getting muddy at recess. Girls can wear the boy's dress code. 

Of course, the three places I have taught were either in affluent neighborhoods with parents paying top dollar for school (via taxes or tuition), or at social-justice minded low income Catholic schools. 

Honestly, the fundie men crying photos makes me very glad my partner doesn't cry easily, because I don't think he would want a photo of him like that saved to be shown to all, and I definitely want a 'seeing the bride' photo ?

1 hour ago, DundeeUnFundie said:

Honestly, the fundie men crying photos makes me very glad my partner doesn't cry easily, because I don't think he would want a photo of him like that saved to be shown to all, and I definitely want a 'seeing the bride' photo ?

My husband isn’t a crier either. I think I’ve seen him cry once? But I don’t think he would mind a crying picture plastered all over as long as he isn’t making a scrunched up painful fart face like Kelton. 

9 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Don't you think that resorting to personal attacks is kind of juvenile? You might want to take a deep breath or maybe a walk & some fresh air?

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived