IGNORED

Josie and Kelton 3: Living in the White Evangelical Bubble

Coconut Flan

2 minutes ago, nolongerIFBx said:

pretty much means anyone who lets how they believe the Bible affect the way they believe that people should act or causes them to believe something that is contrary to prevailing thought (such as a 7-day creation).

To me it depends on how far they go. Like the member we used to have who wore a head covering and dressed in frumpers because that is how she felt led to dress by the Bible, I don't consider her a fundie because she didn't force her kids to dress that way, it was all a personal thing for her and she let them dress how they felt led. When it goes beyond a personal feeling to forcing everyone they can to follow what their ideas on what God said, IMO they start being fundie. 

One of my brothers is a fundie IMO. He drinks, his kids are in public school, they dress in normal clothes, my SIL works, but they have some fairly extreme religious beliefs that they would be more than happy to use the government to force on the rest of us. Their church is very active politically and really pushed members to vote for the voter suppression laws that passed and they tangle up even things like that with the Bible. 

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/28/2019 at 1:13 PM, TatiFish9 said:

Nathan said on FB live that at least some of them are flying to the Philippines from NY for mission work. Something about installing and repairing ...maybe phone lines? I didnt catch it all.

I don't understand why people who live in Tennessee would fly to the Philippines via New York City, rather than the West Coast of the US.

Although I see that there is one one nonstop flight from JFK to Manila, so perhaps it is easier to fly Knoxville-->JFK-->Manila, esp. if there aren't direct flights from Knoxville to California.

Is Nathan going to do totally amateur dental work again? Do you think Carlin is going along to pose with cute children in her OMGyouroutfitissocuteandmodestwheredidyougetit dresses & sneakers? Or can she bear to be away from her betrothed for that long?

#Jesuslovesthemallandtropicalmissioncations

PS As we talk about fundy drinking, I'm reminded of the old joke:

Jews don't recognize Jesus as the son of God, Protestants don't recognize the Pope, and Baptists don't recognize each other in the liquor store.

On 1/30/2019 at 12:13 PM, HereticHick said:

I don't understand why people who live in Tennessee would fly to the Philippines via New York City, rather than the West Coast of the US.

Although I see that there is one one nonstop flight from JFK to Manila, so perhaps it is easier to fly Knoxville-->JFK-->Manila, esp. if there aren't direct flights from Knoxville to California.

Is Nathan going to do totally amateur dental work again? Do you think Carlin is going along to pose with cute children in her OMGyouroutfitissocuteandmodestwheredidyougetit dresses & sneakers? Or can she bear to be away from her betrothed for that long?

#Jesuslovesthemallandtropicalmissioncations

PS As we talk about fundy drinking, I'm reminded of the old joke:

Jews don't recognize Jesus as the son of God, Protestants don't recognize the Pope, and Baptists don't recognize each other in the liquor store.

There are rarely direct flights from Knoxville. They usually always stop in Atlanta or New York. Sometimes they will stop in Chicago, but that's rare. Nashville usually has better flight options, but when I lived in TN we usually just drove to Atlanta to fly out. 

On 1/29/2019 at 11:36 AM, nolongerIFBx said:

fundie on FJ pretty much means anyone who lets how they believe the Bible affect the way they believe that people should act

I guess I do take certain words of the bible literally, such as love your neighbor as you love yourself (I find this to be a useful concept). I like the love stuff, Psalms, Proverbs, and how about that Song of Solomon? However, I do not think the bible is the "word of God", on par with the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. To me, that is making a book an idol. Just a little bible scholarship disabused me of the notion of bible inerrancy. Or sola scriptura.

I'm damn sure not a fundy, however defined. If I was though, I would be a drinkin' fundy. I still toy with becoming UU, as that is closest to my real value system.

I hope that "mission" work they plan on doing in the Philippines is light on the proselytizing. The Philippines is heavily Catholic and that is no small part of their culture. Leave them alone already. Catholics don't need saving. This is one thing I can't stand about the fundies we talk about on FJ.

Sorry for the double post, I don't now why they didn't merge.

1 hour ago, SilverBeach said:

Catholics don't need saving. 

Nobody needs saving. 

Especially not by Nathan & Co. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived