IGNORED

Dillards 67: It Came From A Can

Georgiana

Walmart oil changes NEVER only take 10 minutes (MrSlytherin gets his vehicle serviced there). We generally have time to walk to a restaurant on the out-lot, go shopping at other stores in the strip mall, and do all of our "necessary" Walmart shopping while we wait. And even then, we sometimes have to wait after all that. Walmart's auto service center is just like everything else Walmart does.

3 hours ago, AstridM said:

What about her post with all of the dirty diapers in a pile?

I guess you missed my post about that? lol

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

Last time I went to Walmart there were multiple very young children left alone in shopping carts literally screaming. I did see a mother come back to one of them and hand the baby a bag of cheetos she took off the shelf and opened. Then in the parking lot I saw a car covered in Trump decorations (mostly painted on) and what I think was an attempt to spell "Aryan Pride."

So no, there's no crèche! I've never seen a store anywhere with one, actually. 

My goodness, what is that shop? 

3 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

So no, there's no crèche! I've never seen a store anywhere with one, actually. 

Ikea is the only place I've ever seen one. And they're very obviously not an american company.

I try to avoid Walmart, but they are the cheapest pharmacy for one of my meds and also carry some things I can't get elsewhere. I've never had an oil change there - my dad does them for me and I keep trying to get him to show me how to do it myself because I know I'm capable of something that simple - but I have gotten tires there before. And probably will again, as my car is currently sitting on a donut while I drive a borrowed car. I may go this weekend, I think I have enough money on hand to get two tires.

But yeah, Walmart's a place I can only take in small doses. After about 30 minutes I'm like "Get me out of here and away from these people!" in a way that I literally NEVER am in any other store. There's always a screaming baby, somewhere else a mom threatening to "whoop" her child, somebody with a hacking cough, a few older kids running wild, and somebody blocking every aisle I need to go down.

11 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

It takes 10 minutes.  I go in, get out of the car and goof off on my phone and inside of 15 minutes I'm driving off.  

If there aren't a lot of people, ten minutes at the oil change place near my house. With my new car, I had two free oil changes through the dealer. Took over an hour. Now that I used those, I will go back to the oil change place. I even get a free car wash. 

2 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

Ikea is the only place I've ever seen one. And they're very obviously not an american company.

I try to avoid Walmart, but they are the cheapest pharmacy for one of my meds and also carry some things I can't get elsewhere. I've never had an oil change there - my dad does them for me and I keep trying to get him to show me how to do it myself because I know I'm capable of something that simple - but I have gotten tires there before. And probably will again, as my car is currently sitting on a donut while I drive a borrowed car. I may go this weekend, I think I have enough money on hand to get two tires.

But yeah, Walmart's a place I can only take in small doses. After about 30 minutes I'm like "Get me out of here and away from these people!" in a way that I literally NEVER am in any other store. There's always a screaming baby, somewhere else a mom threatening to "whoop" her child, somebody with a hacking cough, a few older kids running wild, and somebody blocking every aisle I need to go down.

I go to Walmart maybe once a week. I usually go to Target, but the one I loved closed and the one that is open is smaller. They don't carry several things that Walmart does, like my shampoo, but I try to go in quick and get out as soon as possible. No lingering at Walmart. Its just too much. I have discovered their deli sandwiches though and usually on Wednesdays after work (its my no cooking day), I will pop in and get one. 

1 hour ago, SorenaJ said:

My goodness, what is that shop? 

Walmart is ASDA same company, similar layouts, lots of the same things . But the Americans shopping them, might be the extra difference.

I wish our Fred Meyer, had a play area.

15 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Well...life isn't easy and neurotypical people who make adult decisions have to eventually be held accountable for their decisions, behaviors, words and beliefs. Is it hard? Yes. Is it reality? Yes. Once you have a child and continue down the same horrible path that your parents travelled with you, I think you need to be held accountable. If the realities of the real world are too rough for you*, maybe you should delay procreation until you are on more stable footing. These folks (adults) enjoy all the freedoms and rights that the rest of us do. They get to vote. No kid gloves, sorry-

* generic you.

That's one of the crappiest things about the Quiverfull movement and ATI. It exposes people to situations where they're at risk for significant trauma--the kind that take years to sort out with the help of a professional. But they also push that a woman's highest purpose is becoming a mother to many, as well as pushing both men and women to reproduce young, early, and often. It can take time to realize the massive affect trauma can have on a person, and by then, they have the potential to have several children. (ETA: For example, I didn't grow up fundamentalist, but did endure trauma and abuse in my childhood. I'm only now, in the past six months, undergoing therapy to specifically address the trauma from my childhood--and I've been in therapy off and on for a long time. I'm 36 and if I were Quiverfull, I could potentially have as many children as J-Rod). I don't want to sound as though I'm taking away Jill and the second generation's culpability for passing along their toxic beliefs and lifestyle, but addressing trauma and reflecting on personal beliefs etc. can be complex and don't always happen on the timeline we'd like it to. 

Jill’s instagram pics lately are all about Sam. I think poor Izzy is out in the cold somewhat.  What horrible parents these two fat heads are.  

Walmart is hell on earth with decently priced cat litter and wet cat food. The only reason I go into there, I come out with a headache.

7 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Walmart is hell on earth with decently priced cat litter and wet cat food. The only reason I go into there, I come out with a headache.

There's one not far from our house...never really crowded and not as HUGE as a usual Walmart supercenter. But, I'm not much of a shopper. I have a list, I get what's on the list and leave. I prefer Target for most things and Smith's for groceries and prescriptions. 

I don't go there often and haven't been in years, but I don't remember it being any different than Target as far as the people there.  I guess they're all different, or I just don't pay attention to other people.

3 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I don't go there often and haven't been in years, but I don't remember it being any different than Target as far as the people there.  I guess they're all different, or I just don't pay attention to other people.

I think maybe it has a bit to do with the reputation of the store? Like Target is obviously a little higher end, and the stores LOOK it. Walmart, especially the older stores, are kind of the opposite, I find often people act in accordance with their surroundings. Not 100% of course, but most people are a little less likely to curse loudly in Fantasyland at Walt Disney World, for example. If a store is kept clean, they're more likely (slightly) to use the trash cans rather than toss trash on the floor. If a person prides themselves on being a "good old boy redneck", they're more likely to go to Walmart and make fun of people who shop at Trader Joes as hipsters, or whatever. People dress a little nicer for a church service than a rock concert. I once went to the Dollar General in a not-so-nice area near my house without changing out of my pajama pants and nobody even blinked at them, but I'd be embarrassed to be seen in those in Target. Walmart? It'd depend what time of day it is. During the day, no. Early morning? Maybe.

Really, though, 2 am anywhere is going to be a little stranger than normal, so the open 24 hour thing also makes a difference.

2 hours ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

Jill’s instagram pics lately are all about Sam. I think poor Izzy is out in the cold somewhat.  What horrible parents these two fat heads are.  

We had this same conversation about Jill after Sam was born (because she didn’t share photos of him immediately) and about Jessa after Henry was born, only reversed (Spurgeon continued to be featured more then Henry at first.) I took a quick look and I’m going to disagree with your assessment. Izzy was shown in seven of her last twelve posts*, while Sam appeared in eight. He was only featured solo in two of them, but I don’t think that means much to be honest considering Sam was featured solo in just three.  

*This is counting all the photos from each of the posts, not just the first ones. If you go only off the first photos then it would appear that Izzy isn’t being featured much at all. 

My family never really liked Walmart mostly because the two near us are both still a long drive to get to and its always busy. No matter what time or day you go its always busy. But they used have the cheapest prices on stuff that always made it worth it. But the last few years the prices have really gone up that its really no cheaper then any other place.  

1 hour ago, Carm_88 said:

I get depressed, especially in the smaller stores.  I can't imagine how people work there.  The prices tend to be good but I have to drive at least half an hour to get to one.  Probably a good thing.

Different Walmarts definitely are "Walmartier" than others. I actually don't go to Walmart very often anymore now that I don't live in Walmartland anymore. In Fayetteville AR alone there are two Walmart supercenters, three Walmart neighborhood markets, and a mini Walmart on the UofA campus that was the world's smallest Walmart when it opened.

My dad did some work on a project with Walmart and the Clinton Foundation. He said the corporate culture there was awful and people would regularly scream and curse at each other.

The tv show Superstore is about workers at a fictional Walmart/Target type store. It's a great show and I enjoy the scene transitions that show customers doing really weird and/or obnoxious things.

I don't like superstores very much, in general. I prefer to shop for food at the grocery store, for clothes at clothing stores, for toys at a toy store, and so on. But there's a Walmart practically across the street from my work, yet i go to the Freddies' that's on my way home if I need to pick up cat food, groceries, and a blanket (or other odd combination of items.) They have a play place, though I don't have kids so i've never used it. I've also never seen it being used. It's wedged between the liquor store (ABC laws in my state, alcohol can not be purchased in grocery stores) and bathrooms. They also have a kids play place in Fairbanks. 

On jessas diaper pile.... that was the only picture I thought was pretty gross but Im guilty of that too when I had a new born and we were having a hard day so I will reserve judgement I guess. 

Walmart sells diet cream soda and they the only store that carries it around. (I guess it's more popular up in New England and it's easy to get it there.) My Mother loves it. I try to buy out all of it that I see and I do go to all of my local Walmarts to get it and to stock up on a nice amount of it. I do that about 4 times a year, otherwise I avoid Walmart like the plague.  I prefer Target.

The worst part about my nearest Walmart (other than the fact that only one person seems to ever be working, the shelves are usually half stocked, there is always water/pee/vomit everywhere and it's just laid out poorly) is the parking lot. I don't understand how a parking lot can make me so angry, but there we are! 

I don't go to Target because it's out of the way and it smells like burnt popcorn and vomit when I walk in. However, when we built our first target, the first day it was open, shelves went completely bare and traffic was backed up on the highway. Insanity. That was 2009ish. 

Can someone explain WHY AM I SEEING CAMPBELLS COMERCIALS TRYING TO CONVINCE ME TO USE THEIR SOUP TO MAKE CASSEROLE? They even showed cream of mushroom soup!

@Rachel333, I remember reading that book about Walmart's War on America how the president of Lawn Boy or some other maker of good lawn mowers had gone to a meeting at Walmart HQ to see if Walmart would carry their mowers.  The room where they were to meet with Walmart's bigwigs was furnished with aluminum lawn chairs (you know, the kind with webbing).  The Walmart folks wanted the Lawn Boy people to make really cheap merchandise that would not be sold elsewhere.  The Lawn Boy people said "Umm, no thanks.  We have our company's reputation to uphold.  We will not make lesser products for you guys."

Btw, that video you posted was hilarious!

I try to be a Target/Costco shopper as much as possible. Our Wal-marts here are usually filthy and crowded. I once inadvertently went to a Wal-Mart that was closing and having a liquidation sale, and it was like I imagine hell to look like--screaming children, angry adults, body odor, fights. It was awful, but the real reason is that I just can't stomach how Wal-Mart treats their employees. 

The Walmarts near me have had a makeover in the last 5 or so years, to add the grocery section but also some curb appeal. Still prefer Target though tomorrow I am trying out Walmarts pick up grocery service. Been sick all week with a sinus infection, only crawled out of the house Tues night to get some gatorade and yogurt and had been dreading food shopping when I remembered that pick up option. Wonder if Target will be next to get in on that. 

The Target here has pick-up service and not just for groceries. My daughter has used the pick-up service at Walmart before and found that unless you specifically say that brand you want, they'll substitute the Walmart brand.  That may or may not be acceptable to you.  

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived