IGNORED

Dillards 67: It Came From A Can

Georgiana

4 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

The Target here has pick-up service and not just for groceries. My daughter has used the pick-up service at Walmart before and found that unless you specifically say that brand you want, they'll substitute the Walmart brand.  That may or may not be acceptable to you.  

Ours too.  You just order on-line as if you're having it shipped, but select pick up and you just go get everything.

You just have to make sure everything you want is in stock at your store, I used it once when I was sick and sending one of the kids to get a bunch of stuff and it was just easier.

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our really small town wal mart is really pretty good. I just got home from there. Had to get a new coffee pot and the lady on staff helped me pick it out. Never a big lineup at checkout, lots of staff, really clean and friendly.  Must have a good manager.  The staff are always laughing and joking. Lots of parking with RV’s in tourist season.  An anomaly I guess.

2 hours ago, Daisy0322 said:

we were having a hard day

If Jessa's pile was just "a" day, I'll eat the contents of my cats' litter boxes.

The smell in the bathroom of the Walmart would probably put Jessa's diaper pile to shame. God I hate Walmart!

@PennySycamore I did see the substitute note before check out and unclicked it. I will be double checking everything tommorow though.  

ETA: Oh I am seeing some Targets have a drive up option. Too bad none near me. ? 

2 hours ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

Our really small town wal mart is really pretty good. I just got home from there. Had to get a new coffee pot and the lady on staff helped me pick it out. Never a big lineup at checkout, lots of staff, really clean and friendly.  Must have a good manager.  The staff are always laughing and joking. Lots of parking with RV’s in tourist season.  An anomaly I guess.

Is your small town located on Earth?

I've never been to a Walmart like that.

The two Target stores in my area don't carry fresh groceries, so right now they aren't really in direct competition with Walmart for "one stop shopping". If they ever add groceries I might end up there more often. I'd rather do most of my grocery shopping at WinCo, but they don't carry things like furnace filters, kid's socks, and other non-food items that seem to regularly end up on my shopping list.

I used to enjoy shopping at multiple stores to get the best bargains and just the right product, but that mostly went by the wayside after my 1st kid was born. I do treat myself to trips to places I'd rather not take a 7 and 9 year old while they're in school. The yarn store, the sci-fi and pop culture gift shop, the craft store, department stores.... *happy sigh*

3 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

If Jessa's pile was just "a" day, I'll eat the contents of my cats' litter boxes.

I don’t know. It was when Henry was little and Spurg still in diapers so it could easily be one day with a bit of bad timing. I remember Miniway often going right after he was changed when he was a baby. Once I had to change him twice before even leaving the change table. 

I live in a small county (and town) on the central CA coast. We are a WM free county (by voter choice) and have 2 Targets. 1 is in a more affluent area and is newer, and the other is in the largest town in the county, and much less affluent. I live closer to the more affluent store, but will often drive the additional miles to shop at the older store. The newer store is 2 stories. I find the 1 story format easier to navigate.  Also the prices differ greatly between the 2 stores. The newer store is also in an indoor mall. It's such a weird venue for a Target, at least in CA. *First world problems*

Target in a shopping mall is becoming common in Southern California.  They are now anchor stores in some of them.  How the mighty malls have fallen going from Buffums and then Maceys as anchors to Target. 

Target is on the opposite side of town for me.  I use Walmart Grocery Pickup regularly (in fact I have one scheduled for tomorrow morning at 7 am).  I spend less and don't get Walmart induced rage attacks.  

My nearest Target is over 50 miles away in another state (with considerably higher sales tax), and I don't think they carry fresh groceries. It's near a mall, so getting in and out is a pain. I have one Walmart 15 miles away that has just about everything I need and two more bigger ones that are about 30 miles away in either direction. I know where I'll be shopping.

18 hours ago, Alisamer said:

I think maybe it has a bit to do with the reputation of the store? Like Target is obviously a little higher end, and the stores LOOK it. Walmart, especially the older stores, are kind of the opposite, I find often people act in accordance with their surroundings. Not 100% of course, but most people are a little less likely to curse loudly in Fantasyland at Walt Disney World, for example. If a store is kept clean, they're more likely (slightly) to use the trash cans rather than toss trash on the floor. If a person prides themselves on being a "good old boy redneck", they're more likely to go to Walmart and make fun of people who shop at Trader Joes as hipsters, or whatever. People dress a little nicer for a church service than a rock concert. I once went to the Dollar General in a not-so-nice area near my house without changing out of my pajama pants and nobody even blinked at them, but I'd be embarrassed to be seen in those in Target. Walmart? It'd depend what time of day it is. During the day, no. Early morning? Maybe.

Really, though, 2 am anywhere is going to be a little stranger than normal, so the open 24 hour thing also makes a difference.

I also stopped doing big shopping at Walmart after seeing long expired lunch meats and hotdogs on sale. When I said something to the cashier, I was told "oh yea, that happens". I bought expired cheese once. They gave me a $10 gift card to apologize. I double check dates everywhere I shop but it was way too consistent at this one store. 

18 hours ago, JordynDarby5 said:

My family never really liked Walmart mostly because the two near us are both still a long drive to get to and its always busy. No matter what time or day you go its always busy. But they used have the cheapest prices on stuff that always made it worth it. But the last few years the prices have really gone up that its really no cheaper then any other place.  

Yes, there prices really aren't much cheaper than Target. I even find great deals at Walgreens. I have bought laundry detergent there for about 6 months straight. They will have name brands for $1.99 and I seem to always have a coupon. 

12 hours ago, bella8050 said:

@PennySycamore I did see the substitute note before check out and unclicked it. I will be double checking everything tommorow though.  

ETA: Oh I am seeing some Targets have a drive up option. Too bad none near me. ? 

Ours just put one in. 

Interrupting your superstore talk with some of our neverending recipe talk. :pb_lol:

Duggar friend and wedding planner extraordinaire Sierra posted a recipe on her Instagram yesterday that sounds like it could come straight from Jill's kitchen (with the notable exception that Sierra actually uses spices):

• 32 oz. Chicken Stock (No chicken stock? Use boullion cubes and water! The ratios are on the package!)
• 2-4 cans Canned Chicken (Or regular chicken, if you have the time, you All-Star, you!)
• 2-4 cans Beans (navy, black, kidney, doesn't really matter, just use what you've got!)
• 2 cans Rotel (Get mild, if you like things tame, get original if you want to kick it up a notch.)
• 2 cans Corn (Pretty self explanatory.)
• 2 cans Cream of Chicken soup (Because every great recipe has this in it! ;) )
• 4 cups cheese + Enough to sprinkle (I use fiesta, Mexican, or something exotic like that. Use whatever you've got. I promise it'll be delicious. Put 4 cups in the soup, and have enough on hand to sprinkle it on the top, when serving.)
• 12 oz. + 12 oz. Sour Cream (12 oz. to dump in the soup, 12 oz. for a garnish when serving!)
• Spices. (Do whatever you'd like. Mine are different every time. My staples, though, are pepper, roasted garlic and herb, and something to give it kick!)

Seriously. I would be decidedly unsurprised if Jill had posted that exact same recipe. Here's the thing, though. While I think that recipe sounds just as terrible as Jill's concoctions, Sierra actually manage to post a picture that makes it look pretty yummy:

Which just goes to show you how inept Jill is at that whole social media thing.

1 minute ago, JillyO said:

Interrupting your superstore talk with some of our neverending recipe talk. :pb_lol:

Duggar friend and wedding planner extraordinaire Sierra posted a recipe on her Instagram yesterday that sounds like it could come straight from Jill's kitchen (with the notable exception that Sierra actually uses spices):

Seriously. I would be decidedly unsurprised if Jill had posted that exact same recipe. Here's the thing, though. While I think that recipe sounds just as terrible as Jill's concoctions, Sierra actually manage to post a picture that makes it look pretty yummy:

Which just goes to show you how inept Jill is at that whole social media thing.

Sierra also added a few witty little comments into the caption too. Jill doesn’t really have the knack for doing that.

Mexican blend shredded cheese not exotic. I'm going to just go ahead and pretend that Sierra is being sarcastic. 

I thought about you guys when I made dinner last night.  I kinda ad hoc'ed stir fry and it was so much better than normal....I was shocked how good it tasted, but I couldn't blog it because it wasn't pretty.

Just a lot of brown ...I looked at it and thought, "that looks like something a Duggar would make."

But I made note of what I did so i can do it again - not everything yummy is bloggable.

This Sierra thing though...made mine look like something from the kitchen of Julia Child.

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Aww, I'm an All Star for never using the abomination that is canned chicken!

Did this come to mind for anyone else?

Spoiler

CunCHvcXYAEQAz2.jpg

12 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Did this come to mind for anyone else?

CunCHvcXYAEQAz2.jpg

I have officially seen everything... Poor wee chicken, ending its life like that abomination. 

1 minute ago, SorenaJ said:

I have officially seen everything... Poor wee chicken, ending its life like that abomination. 

There is a member who used to be quite active that had the right half of the pic as her avatar.  The chicken, Steve, became almost an honorary member of FJ.

My mother has this weird thing about chicken stock. Like she refuses to buy, and would be very upset with me if she knew I bought it. She thinks it's a waste of money. She always buys a whole chicken, roasts it for dinner, then uses the leftovers to make stock and chicken pot pie.

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived