IGNORED

Dillards 67: It Came From A Can

Georgiana

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, EmmieJ said:

I was thinking the same thing.  For now, Sam is the golden child and Izzy always gets the short end of the stick.  I see Izzy trying so hard, being as good as he can, but is he praised?  No, only snarky remarks from Papi or admonished by his parents.  I feel for the kid.  I hope he gets to spend more time with his cousins.

I've noticed this too. That's why Izzy, eating at the TV tray in front of the stove bothered me more than the bib. It's probably just me, but he felt isolated to me.

4 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

I don't eat food that falls on the floor, in general.  That's what dogs are for!  (Well, one of the advantages of dogs.  I really have them to love.)  A few years ago, I was taking the turkey out of the oven to turn it and the bird slipped to the floor. (it wasn't very far.)  My daughter was helping me turn it so we wiped any dirt and dog/cat hair off and returned it to the oven to roast a couple more hours.  

This week's New Yorker has a great cartoon where the husband spilled soup on the floor and the wife says that the 5-second rule doesn't apply.

This reminded me of that episode of "Everybody loves Raymond" where Debra is buttering the turkey before putting it in the oven & she keeps dropping it & she's slipping & sliding around trying to keep the turkey in her grip & ends up whipping open the oven door & throwing the turkey in! One of the funniest moments from that show in my opinion!! 

The 5 second rule depends a lot on the food and floor. There are lots of things I’d eat of my own floor and no things at all I’d eat of the floor in a public setting where people walk in their shoes. 

I don’t really want to start the shoes-inside-debate again (for the umpteenth time) but if you live in a house where people walk around in their outside shoes I don’t think the 5 second rule apply. 

The more I think about it, the more I realize that until that video I had never seen anyone eat banana with a fork like that. If it's in a salad, sure. But just banana on a fork?  :confused2:

Remember when they fed Jordyn peas straight from a can while she was lying down? No wonder they didn't learn basic safety.

On 10/22/2018 at 12:40 PM, squiddysquid said:

Don't look at the cake, BECOME the cake!

I’ve officially found my new life motto. 

As for the rest of the discussion:

1. Kids Izzy’s age are still mastering the whole not spilling thing and can be very messy eaters. I see nothing wrong with Izzy wearing a bib here because the meal he’s enjoying (rice and beans) can get pretty messy. If wearing a bib makes him happy or it makes life a bit easier for Jill then so be it. Personally I just strip my toddler to her diaper for messy stuff, but different things work for different kids. 

2. Jill posted three images on Instagram recently showing decent and somewhat healthy food - the pumpkin cookies, rice and beans, and sweet potato fries - and people are still complaining about the recipes she shares. I think this is a great example of Jill never being able to do anything good enough*.

3. I watched the video with the sound off, so I can’t soeak about what was being said. I really didn’t see much that looked dangerous or wrong though. The only issues I had was how long the video was (seriously - editing is your friend with online content) and the banana on the floor moment - but even the floor banana wasn’t that bad. Even if it was I can’t really judge because my kid will occasionally race our dog to see who can eat more off the floor before I’m able to clean it up. :doh: Other than that? Izzy was standing still so Sam could walk up to him and Jill was right there to supervise. Maybe a big fork wasn’t a great choice, but the way people were discussing it here definitely made it sound much worse than it actually was. 

*I know, I know. She’s a crappy person with crappy beliefs and a shitty husband. 

I definitely think there is some tendency to be harder on Jill than Jessa.  Jessa is sometimes talked about like she is just so smart and talented though I have rather rarely seen her talking about talking classes or what she learned in Bible study. Jill is the one who pursued a field of study and assisted in births accordingly. I do think Jill desperately needs more training before she participates in any more births. Jessa is definitley more people and media savy. I'm just not convinced she is more intelligent or talented than Jill. 

59 minutes ago, viii said:

If this had been Jessa,

But it would never have been, nor will it ever be. Jessa's not dumb enough to post anything like this.

2 hours ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

I definitely think there is some tendency to be harder on Jill than Jessa.  Jessa is sometimes talked about like she is just so smart and talented though I have rather rarely seen her talking about talking classes or what she learned in Bible study. Jill is the one who pursued a field of study and assisted in births accordingly. I do think Jill desperately needs more training before she participates in any more births. Jessa is definitley more people and media savy. I'm just not convinced she is more intelligent or talented than Jill. 

Neither of the girls is particularly bright. I am not saying they are dull, but rather average.

Jessa is a far better marketer.

Both of these girls could have been successful had they had been properly educated and had their natural curiosities encouraged.

2 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I’ve officially found my new life motto. 

As for the rest of the discussion:

1. Kids Izzy’s age are still mastering the whole not spilling thing and can be very messy eaters. I see nothing wrong with Izzy wearing a bib here because the meal he’s enjoying (rice and beans) can get pretty messy. If wearing a bib makes him happy or it makes life a bit easier for Jill then so be it. Personally I just strip my toddler to her diaper for messy stuff, but different things work for different kids. 

2. Jill posted three images on Instagram recently showing decent and somewhat healthy food - the pumpkin cookies, rice and beans, and sweet potato fries - and people are still complaining about the recipes she shares. I think this is a great example of Jill never being able to do anything good enough*.

3. I watched the video with the sound off, so I can’t soeak about what was being said. I really didn’t see much that looked dangerous or wrong though. The only issues I had was how long the video was (seriously - editing is your friend with online content) and the banana on the floor moment - but even the floor banana wasn’t that bad. Even if it was I can’t really judge because my kid will occasionally race our dog to see who can eat more off the floor before I’m able to clean it up. :doh: Other than that? Izzy was standing still so Sam could walk up to him and Jill was right there to supervise. Maybe a big fork wasn’t a great choice, but the way people were discussing it here definitely made it sound much worse than it actually was. 

*I know, I know. She’s a crappy person with crappy beliefs and a shitty husband. 

Nope, Jill will never be able to do ANYTHING right. The most recent thing that got on my nerves in the Jill discussion is her cluttered house. I am pretty sure that if anyone had posted in our Pregnant&Parenting thread about their house being cluttered while being at home alone with 2 toddlers, everyone would've been encouraging about how important it is to spend time with the kids, they grow up so fast, your house can wait your kids can't...etc. 

It all changes if you like the person you're talking to. I am hardly a Duggar leghumper or a Jill apologist and I am definitely a food snob, but Christ on a Cracker, this girl can't ever do anything right. Her recipes don't look appealing and her videos are hard to watch, but there is so much worse in the world than Jill Duggar endorsing the Campbells Soup industry or having a cluttered living room. 

On 10/22/2018 at 6:16 AM, OhNoNike said:

Those historians do a whole series of these videos.  I think this one got me going since I am fascinated by Tudor times.  So so so good. I’m so happy to see someone else loved this too!

Me too - I am a total Ruth Goodman and Peter Guinn fangirl.

(I love Alex, too, he's just not in all of them.  The only one I didn't care for is the young woman ...she seemed like she wanted to be literally anywhere else but there and it was a buzzkill watching.

1 hour ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

But it would never have been, nor will it ever be. Jessa's not dumb enough to post anything like this.

I was planning to come back and post something like this in a mild defense of the posters who will likely disagree with me, but you beat me to it. 

But I agree. Jessa is likely aware enough of her image to avoid posting a video like Jill shared. If Jessa had posted this it would have been:

- much shorter

- featured the boys sitting at a table or something

- and either Spurgeon would be sharing with his brother or Henry would be stealing from him. Either way it’d be presented in a way that came across as sweet and cute.

That said, again, the only big issue I have with Jill’s video (without hearing the sound) is the length of it. Cut that down to just 30 seconds of Izzy giggling as he feeds Sam and it’d be fine. 

44 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

Nope, Jill will never be able to do ANYTHING right. The most recent thing that got on my nerves in the Jill discussion is her cluttered house. I am pretty sure that if anyone had posted in our Pregnant&Parenting thread about their house being cluttered while being at home alone with 2 toddlers, everyone would've been encouraging about how important it is to spend time with the kids, they grow up so fast, your house can wait your kids can't...etc. 

It all changes if you like the person you're talking to. I am hardly a Duggar leghumper or a Jill apologist and I am definitely a food snob, but Christ on a Cracker, this girl can't ever do anything right. Her recipes don't look appealing and her videos are hard to watch, but there is so much worse in the world than Jill Duggar endorsing the Campbells Soup industry or having a cluttered living room. 

Yep! I have no problem at all with criticizing her for legitimate reasons - like that ridiculous stroller hack or her continued silence when it comes to her husband’s bigoted public comments - but Jill is absolutely criticized far more harshly for pretty minor things when compared to her sisters. And I get why that happens. Jill annoys people and her husband is a massive asshole and they have terrible views, etc. and that can all make it extremely hard for people not to view her in the absolute worst light at all times. 

That said, I do get the sense that some of the criticism is unfair and not necessarily based on fact. And to be honest, the criticisms not based on facts is what actually bothers me the most. Concerning the recipes specifically, I keep seeing people claiming that she only ever shares “Duggar” type recipes (meaning recipes that aren’t that healthy and rely heavily on canned/processed foods), but quickly browsing their instagrams and their blog proves that is incorrect. Yet no matter how many times that’s pointed out with evidence people keep claiming the same thing. It’s annoying because we end up having the same debate multiple times and it distracts from actual legitimate conversations we could be having. Jill and Derick provide more than enough fodder for criticism all on their own without us helping them with inaccurate claims.

17 hours ago, Iamtheway said:

The 5 second rule depends a lot on the food and floor. There are lots of things I’d eat of my own floor and no things at all I’d eat of the floor in a public setting where people walk in their shoes. 

I don’t really want to start the shoes-inside-debate again (for the umpteenth time) but if you live in a house where people walk around in their outside shoes I don’t think the 5 second rule apply. 

I agree, my own floor would be fine but another? Nope. 

For me Jill's personality annoys the shit out of me. She reminds me those people that I wanted to smack in university, the ones who sat in the front and constantly talked and where asking questions. The try hards, there were a couple who didn't seem to be much above average intelligence but they wanted to be thought that way. They needed the praise from the professor and if they didn't get it, they would keep trying. That type of attitude just drains me and it's all I see when I look at Jill.

Much like those people, if she focused on making herself happy and not needing praise from outside sources; she would be better off.

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

Jill is absolutely criticized far more harshly for pretty minor things when compared to her sisters.

Perhaps. But I'm sure you (in general) remember the shit Jessa caught for the massive piles of dirty diapers, the filthy stove, the undusted furniture, etc.

14 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Perhaps. But I'm sure you (in general) remember the shit Jessa caught for the massive piles of dirty diapers, the filthy stove, teh undusted furniture, etc.

I do. I’m pretty sure I defended her on most of that, but I don’t remember for sure. I still get a little grossed out about the diapers, but shit happens (literally and figuratively.) I only have one kid in diapers and there’s been at least one time where I forgot to throw the diaper into the trash. I’d imagine my risk of forgetting would increase dramatically if I had two kids wearing diapers who were close in age. :pb_lol:

I think @Pretzelmade a pretty important point though. People tend to be much more forgiving of things they don’t like or approve of when it’s someone they like doing it. I just hope people keep that in mind and try to remain consistent and fair in their criticisms, though I also know just how tough that can be sometimes. 

2 hours ago, Pretzel said:

I am hardly a Duggar leghumper or a Jill apologist and I am definitely a food snob, but Christ on a Cracker, this girl can't ever do anything right.

Maybe trying to be a public figure isn't the best choice for her.

1 hour ago, Carm_88 said:

For me Jill's personality annoys the shit out of me. She reminds me those people that I wanted to smack in university, the ones who sat in the front and constantly talked and where asking questions. The try hards, there were a couple who didn't seem to be much above average intelligence but they wanted to be thought that way. They needed the praise from the professor and if they didn't get it, they would keep trying. That type of attitude just drains me and it's all I see when I look at Jill.

Much like those people, if she focused on making herself happy and not needing praise from outside sources; she would be better off.

Not that I don't understand why people find those students annoying (and have felt the same way about certain students), but I find it pretty sad how students who try hard and enjoy class are seen in a negative light. People make all sorts of assumptions about those students' motivations, like that they just want attention or need to be seen as smart, when sometimes it's as simple as genuinely being engaged in the class, and really you can never know for sure if those assumptions are accurate anyway.

Again, I do get it. There was one girl in particular with whom I had multiple classes and she just annoyed me to no end even though I think she really was just enthusiastic about learning and my judgement of her was totally unfair. Sometimes people do annoy you through no real fault of their own. I just think it's a shame that people who are enthusiastic about things are judged negatively. It's a trend that goes beyond academics, and you often encounter the attitude that it's uncool to really care about things.

14 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

I think @Pretzelmade a pretty important point though. People tend to be much more forgiving of things they don’t like or approve of when it’s someone they like doing it. I just hope people keep that in mind and try to remain consistent and fair in their criticisms, though I also know just how tough that can be sometimes. 

I think it's the attitude that's the issue. Jill was always so self righteous, that seeing her fail at things makes me want to go "How's your contentment, Jill? Are you working on it? Life's not all butterflies and rainbows now is it?" 

Jessa tends to go on the side of "I'm not perfect. Watch me mess up." Which is easier to deal with.

If a kid ate a teddy graham or something non porous off the floor I would shrug it off, but a slice of banana? Nope, that’s just gross, it’s like licking the floor to me.

11 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

Not that I don't understand why people find those students annoying (and have felt the same way about certain students), but I find it pretty sad how students who try hard and enjoy class are seen in a negative light. People make all sorts of assumptions about those students' motivations, like that they just want attention or need to be seen as smart, when sometimes it's as simple as genuinely being engaged in the class, and really you can never know for sure if those assumptions are accurate anyway.

I do know that they are accurate. I was in a small department and I had classes with some of these people, every semester for 3 years. I knew them as people, not just that random person who sits in the front and annoys me. I try my best not to judge people about being excited about things, I tell people all the time to tell me to shut up if I talk too long about something I love. I can talk folklore until I'm blue in the face. My annoyance wasn't that they were enthusiastic, it was that they were bringing up unrelated topics and referencing other classes. "But in Vernacular Architecture, we learned that the Georgian style house was blah blah blah..." We're talking about Swedish fairy tales, why are you talking about Georgian style houses? Be enthusiastic but stay on topic!

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived