IGNORED

Seewalds 36: Waiting for the Next Cute Kid Video or Photo

Coconut Flan

12 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

Hopefully the kitty cat stays far, far away from Derick Dillard.

That cat should stay away from the Seewalds too then. Ben is the one who pushed Derick despite knowing the cat was there and it might have been Jessa* who was egging him on and laughing. 

*We don’t see who the woman is. We only hear her voice, so it could have been any of the eldest daughters. 

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spurgeon didn't seem to know how, or else he was afraid, to pet the cat. IMHO of course. It was at the TTH. Doesn't the family have a cat?

7 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

That cat should stay away from the Seewalds too then. Ben is the one who pushed Derick despite knowing the cat was there and it might have been Jessa* who was egging him on and laughing.

Hopefully Jana is the one teaching the all the grand Duggars how to teach animals. I do hope that the Seewalds learned their lesson about treating animals shitty, but if not, Jana seems to know how to treat at least her dog. Derick, I don't have much hope for.

26 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

but if not, Jana seems to know how to treat at least her dog. Derick,

I totally misread this as 'Jana seems to know how to treat at least her dog, Derick.' And I was like, :pb_eek: 

Spurgeon seems to be a pretty sweet kid, it’s nice to see.

edited to add. I’m not from the south and not a fundie, so not “sweet” as in keep it sweet!

Of course Spurgeon is doing something as useless as memorizing Psalms. I think that memorization is actually a good skill to learn at that young age but a Psalm is ridiculous - beyond his comprehension, vocabulary that isn't current, and less than zero fun involved in the process. As an aside, remember this the next time we see some right winger railing about boys in madrasas learning to memorize and recite the Quran. It's always been my opinion that the main issue in the Middle East is the near absolute lack of secular education. So why is it any better for fundie Jessa to have a (barely) 3-year-old reciting the Old Testament.

This is way worse than the dumb books Jill had Izzy reading.

57 minutes ago, AtlanticTug said:

Of course Spurgeon is doing something as useless as memorizing Psalms. I think that memorization is actually a good skill to learn at that young age but a Psalm is ridiculous - beyond his comprehension, vocabulary that isn't current, and less than zero fun involved in the process. As an aside, remember this the next time we see some right winger railing about boys in madrasas learning to memorize and recite the Quran. It's always been my opinion that the main issue in the Middle East is the near absolute lack of secular education. So why is it any better for fundie Jessa to have a (barely) 3-year-old reciting the Old Testament.

This is way worse than the dumb books Jill had Izzy reading.

It reminds me a lot of the oldest Waller boy (Paul?), David and Priscilla son, reciting Bible verses. at around the same age... With all of the guilt that they put the kids through when they're about that age about being saved, I can definitely see them starting to really push Bible memorization on them.

I never under stood the Bible memorizing. Maybe a favorite passage or something but why memorize just firvyhe hell if it? 

1. Wouldn't it make more sense to have a understanding of what different chapters mean to you? Putting things in your own words demonstrates understanding.

2. You can always look up the quotes there's no point.

3. There's nothing to be gained from memorizing words you don't know the meaning of when you're 3.

I don't the memorizing, but I assume that's just a normal thing in fundie families.

Spoiler

Also, Jessa is promoting the Lost Girls + Mac's album.

1 hour ago, Daisy0322 said:

I never under stood the Bible memorizing. Maybe a favorite passage or something but why memorize just firvyhe hell if it? 

1. Wouldn't it make more sense to have a understanding of what different chapters mean to you? Putting things in your own words demonstrates understanding.

3. There's nothing to be gained from memorizing words you don't know the meaning of when you're 3.

I was raised Seventh-day Adventist -- a dreaded "PK" (pastor's kid). Not sure about other fundies, but one of the reasons SDA kids were taught to memorize Bible verses from the time they could speak is for the ever-present threat of the End Times/Last Days/Time of Trouble, when Sunday worship will be enforced globally and people would likely strip Sabbath-keepers of their Bibles. You'll need to have all the good stuff memorized in the event of not having an actual Bible on hand. (How can this atheist insert an eye roll emoji on mobile? Anyone?)

Edit: Obviously Sunday fundies don't have that particular fear, but maybe there's a similar reason for wanting as much of the Bible committed to memory by adulthood, idk...

1 hour ago, Carm_88 said:

I don't the memorizing, but I assume that's just a normal thing in fundie families.

Hide contents

Also, Jessa is promoting the Lost Girls + Mac's album.

That’s some really nice coordination on the girls dresses. Managed to keep them all suited to their ages - which are close together, but worlds apart, at that particular time. 

Hannie is so obviously too old for this nonsense. I kind of feel for her, though, because she's not a little girl anymore but she's not one of the 'older girls'.

Yes, there's a big emphasis on being prepared for a time when you don't have access to a Bible. They also believe there's a spiritual benefit in itself from having the Bible "hidden in your heart" so you can remember it without having to look it up.

5 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Hannie is so obviously too old for this nonsense. I kind of feel for her, though, because she's not a little girl anymore but she's not one of the 'older girls'.

I disagree. There is 4 years between Hannie and Josie, with two sisters and Mac in-between. Multiple siblings with a gap that size hang out and play together all the time. Especially when they are spread out over the age range. The only difference between this group of girls this year and last year, is that Hannie has very obviously developed. And she’s not as petite as a couple of her sisters, so the growth is very noticeable. Some of her interests are likely changing, and it would be nice if she also has same age friends ( she might, we don’t know )  - but it’s kind of weird, to me, when as soon as a girl starts to look more like a woman - she’s suddenly too old to hang out with her sisters ( or Jackson, it seems like he is still grouped with the younger girls for the most part ) .  It reminds me of when Tomboy Joy suddenly had to become a “young lady” and was shoved into the group with her older sisters.

I agree with @Mama Mia, Jennifer is also 11 already, she will receive her purity ring soon. If any of the girls is 'left out' it would be Josie, since Jordyn and Mack are so close in age.

25 minutes ago, SorenaJ said:

Johannah looks just like Jedidiah in that image. 

A bit like Joy too.

9 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

I disagree. There is 4 years between Hannie and Josie, with two sisters and Mac in-between. Multiple siblings with a gap that size hang out and play together all the time. Especially when they are spread out over the age range. The only difference between this group of girls this year and last year, is that Hannie has very obviously developed. And she’s not as petite as a couple of her sisters, so the growth is very noticeable. Some of her interests are likely changing, and it would be nice if she also has same age friends ( she might, we don’t know )  - but it’s kind of weird, to me, when as soon as a girl starts to look more like a woman - she’s suddenly too old to hang out with her sisters ( or Jackson, it seems like he is still grouped with the younger girls for the most part ) .  It reminds me of when Tomboy Joy suddenly had to become a “young lady” and was shoved into the group with her older sisters.

Wait, what? I never said that Hannie was too old to hang out with her younger sisters and I would never in a million years say that. When I was her age I loved hanging out with my younger sister and my cousins who were even younger. I also don’t think she has to suddenly ‘grow up’ and become a woman because she’s 13 and looks more mature than her 9-year-old sister. In fact, that’s the opposite of what I think.

I was solely and specifically referring to her being trotted out to perform children’s songs in a dog and pony show as ‘one of the little girls’ for the Duggar brand. I definitely think she’s too old for that nonsense. Because at her age I had my own interests and personality and was getting to be old enough to make my own decisions about what I wanted to participate in. Who knows, maybe she begged to do it, and if so, hey, great. It’s just that I know the Duggars and I know for a fact that they would rope her into this whether she wanted it or not.

I’m sorry that my post was so misconstrued. It’s a disconcerting feeling when people assign thoughts to you that are the complete opposite of the ones you actually have. The idea that Hannie needs to ‘become a lady’ now that she’s starting to look like one makes me sick and is something I would NEVER believe. Like, ever.

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

Wait, what? I never said that Hannie was too old to hang out with her younger sisters and I would never in a million years say that. When I was her age I loved hanging out with my younger sister and my cousins who were even younger. I also don’t think she has to suddenly ‘grow up’ and become a woman because she’s 13 and looks more mature than her 9-year-old sister. In fact, that’s the opposite of what I think.

I was solely and specifically referring to her being trotted out to perform children’s songs in a dog and pony show as ‘one of the little girls’ for the Duggar brand. I definitely think she’s too old for that nonsense. Because at her age I had my own interests and personality and was getting to be old enough to make my own decisions about what I wanted to participate in. Who knows, maybe she begged to do it, and if so, hey, great. It’s just that I know the Duggars and I know for a fact that they would rope her into this whether she wanted it or not.

I’m sorry that my post was so misconstrued. It’s a disconcerting feeling when people assign thoughts to you that are the complete opposite of the ones you actually have. The idea that Hannie needs to ‘become a lady’ now that she’s starting to look like one makes me sick and is something I would NEVER believe. Like, ever.

Sorry for misreading ! I think it’s just a topic I’m sensitive to right now, having a bunch of girls in my family entering that age range - and their chronological age, physical appearance, maturity and interests are all over the map- and often don’t “match”. 

When I was Hannie’s age, I was ....wild. To put it very, very mildly, and making some really horrific choices. . I think at this stage in my life I’m just very enamored(?) protective (?) of childhood lasting as long as the child wants - plus a few years lol.

6 minutes ago, DillyDally said:

Wait, is that Henry in the second post? When did he grow all those curls? So cute! ?

Yes its Henry. He is adorable. ?

On 11/21/2018 at 3:50 PM, Daisy0322 said:

The idea with memorizing scripture is that:

1. Since Bibles will surely be taken away from everyone sometime soon, what with all the persecution against Christians and all, it is a good idea to have as much as possible of the Bible memorized.

2. Rattling of quotes with references is a sure-fire way to impress others with one's godliness

A whole Psalm for a 3 year old?  At that age, just teach him the words to "Jesus Loves Me" and leave it at that.

Maybe the meaning is meant to come clear years after memorizing it, in a sheer leap of put the cart before the horse logic? But then when you need the words you have them, and since "I am the Word.. " and all that? I'm overthinking this :)

King James psalms are especially intense. At least gospel parables are stories, which might be easier for a little kid to follow. 

Well, at least these two are getting lots of (mostly positive seeming) parental attention, with no sign of that being disrupted any time soon by Jessa having one pregnancy after another.

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived