IGNORED

Seewalds 36: Waiting for the Next Cute Kid Video or Photo

Coconut Flan

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love cardigans. I feel a bit more "mom" in them if that makes sense? I had Little Outta 1 very young so I tried to have "mom style" and "my style" (basically what I wore when I needed to go to his school things or meet up with other moms, it helped me feel like I was not standing out among people where were old enough be my mom). Funny thing was after several years I started to really like what I had thought of as mom clothes and started to change my whole wardrobe. Cardigans (and pinterest) really helped me grow my style up and stay true to what I liked to wear. I own a bunch of them in different styles now. I tend to be cold all the time too, so bonus warmth. I just wish they were a thing in high school. Also our Primark burnt down :( It was the big one and the little ones in neighboring cities just do not have the same offers. They are great for baby clothes that are quickly outgrown and cute pjs and slippers. My sister in the US wishes they would hurry up and expand over there.

4 hours ago, StraightOuttaArkansas said:

Also our Primark burnt down :(

I saw that in the news. So sad. :(  

But we DO have a few Primarks here - there are two in NYC (one in Brooklyn, the other on Staten Island). I'm already planning my trip from Manhattan to Brooklyn later this month when my daughter and I do our girls' trip to NYC. :)

Primark is staying in the US northeast for now, but I hope they spread west. That would be fantastic (and I would be broke - I'd look awesome in my great clothes, but broke). haha   https://www.primark.com/en-us/our-stores  

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:43 PM, Hisey said:

I think people don't realize how much they hurt adopted kids when they say things like this.

I know many privately adopted kids. Their parents were quite ethical, and the birth mother was not coerced--far from it. No money exchanged hands for the child--that is illegal. The adoptive parents paid certain medical expenses (in some cases). In all cases, the adoptions are open and everyone is happy and on good terms.

Everyone is happy, that is, till some stranger shows up  announces the kid was "bought." If the kid hears this comment, this rachets up his insecurity and sense of doubt about his place in the family. The stranger is NOT someone who has adopted (or helped kids in any other way), he just has lots of opinions about who should and who shouldn't.

The kids I know would be  horrified to hear that you think they were bought. That would be so damaging to them.  Adopted kids can be insecure to begin with, and they struggle to not to feel like damaged goods. When adults throw around cruel comments like, "You were bought" that really hurts those children. They are already struggling to feel like real, valid members of their adopted families, not like sacks of flour from Walmart.

Why would you say such a hurtful thing, anyway? Do you actually know kids who were bought? Do you think adoption from the state (which also involves the exchange of money) is the only valid type of adoption? 

My own kids are adopted (internationally) which is why I know a bit about this. And my kids would also be hurt to hear they were "bought" as well. I've told them how we paid people for the work that they did (like preparing papers and translation, etc), but all that unravels when they hear ignorant remarks like yours. 

Sorry, but it bothers me when adults insult vulnerable, often at-risk kids by labeling them in such damaging ways. 

(You are correct, though, that if a birth mother is OK with a family, there is no rule saying the family needs a certain number of bedrooms or whatever. And that's a good thing. The birth mother should be able to choose any family she wants without the state interfering.)

You nailed it! I 1000% agree with you as an adopted person myself.

9 hours ago, viii said:

I'm not a mom and I am 100% all about the cardigan life. I need my warmth!

My uniform was dark jeans, good T-shirt, cardigan and scarf--change jewelry and shoes and you can go anywhere. Now I'm in Florida and have to come up with something else. Boohoo.

5 minutes ago, patsymae said:

My uniform was dark jeans, good T-shirt, cardigan and scarf--change jewelry and shoes and you can go anywhere. Now I'm in Florida and have to come up with something else. Boohoo.

My daily "work uniform." lol

19 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

But we DO have a few Primarks here - there are two in NYC (one in Brooklyn, the other on Staten Island). I'm already planning my trip from Manhattan to Brooklyn later this month when my daughter and I do our girls' trip to NYC. :)

Primark is staying in the US northeast for now, but I hope they spread west. That would be fantastic (and I would be broke - I'd look awesome in my great clothes, but broke). haha   https://www.primark.com/en-us/our-stores  

I had no idea! I have to tell my sister, she is going to eleventy !!!!!11!!!!1 when she hears this. 

ok, honest question here. why are so many people so into Primark? 

we have on in a town an hour away and everytime i go to said town (not the primark) i see hundreds of people carrying the bags. mostly three or four each. 

i can never find that much there and the things i bought so far never lasted very long (one or two times washing max..)

i really only love it for the harry potter merch tbh and I don't think they have it in ours. 

i always think I'd rather buy a shirt thats slightly more expensive but then at least lasts longer. Am i the only one? (am i doing Primark wrong?)

11 hours ago, patsymae said:

That's my uniform usually as well! I work at a school, so I am all about the comfort and warmth of cardigans. 

22 minutes ago, SeekingAdventure said:

we have on in a town an hour away and everytime i go to said town (not the primark) i see hundreds of people carrying the bags. mostly three or four each. 

i can never find that much there and the things i bought so far never lasted very long (one or two times washing max..)

i really only love it for the harry potter merch tbh and I don't think they have it in ours. 

i always think I'd rather buy a shirt thats slightly more expensive but then at least lasts longer. Am i the only one? (am i doing Primark wrong?)

Everything I've bought there (like the cardigans I linked earlier) have held up VERY well through multiple washings. I have a shitload of HP merch from there (pajamas, shirts, socks) that has also held up perfectly. I love their socks (cheap and well-made). Oh, and I have a pair of slip-on sneakers (HP, of course) that are super comfy and have lasted through many MANY wears for over a year and they still look almost new.

Their household goods are also nice. 

Edit:  The best Primark for HP stuff is the one on Tottenham Court Road in London. :) 

Maybe you've just been unlucky with your selections?

24 minutes ago, SeekingAdventure said:

I only buy pyama's and sportshirts there, they are super comfortable and somehow I like the fabrics of these items more than from other, more expensive, stores.

And I also sometimes buy shorts there because I only wear them on holiday and I don't want to spend a lot.

When I was a student I bought way more there because I did not have a lot of money ?

23 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

They just opened one in the King of Prussia mall in SE PA.

Honestly, I don't get the love. I shopped there once on a visit to the UK (London in March and I packed a warm coat but not gloves or a scarf. I was cold!) and most of the material used in the tees, leggings, and so on felt thin and cheap. Maybe it was just when I was there or the styles I was looking at, but I wasn't impressed with being able to see the white part of my nails through the fabric. I do still have the nice, warm, solid scarf, though the gloves self-destructed after a few wearings.

@SapphireSlytherin yes i went to the London one this spring. shopped my geeky heart out. then again that trip was first and foremost for any and everything HP 

I don't know if i was unlucky, i haven't really tried that much recently. i like buying hairbands there because they have good ones. (also a lot in one package and i lose loads)

the shoes i bought broke real quick and the shirts either looked washed out or got holes really fast. I don't know if it is bad luck in selection or tge quality is not good but i've learned my lesson. Accessories are cool though and pj pants etc as well. i think thats the only thing i still wear now. 

With Primark some things can last a long time others don't, I avoid buying leggings and trousers from them due to the leggings being too thin and the trousers being too long for 4"11 me. I love their cardigans, pyjamas, underwear and casual t shirts. I have bought nice kids clothing from them too for my nieces and nephews.

I avoid going in at busy times too, last time I went into the Argyle Street, Glasgow one I couldn't get moving and people were dumping stuff they didn't want everywhere. That one has three floors but I prefer the smaller one on Sauchiehall Street because it has more space to move around and the queues are never as long.

I was in Boston a few weeks back and saw a  Primark there. It made me rather happy to see it. Not because I'm a huge fan of Primark (though they do have some cool things) but because it reminded me of my time spent studying abroad in the UK last year.

yeah i didn't dispute that @just_ordinary

but it still baffles me that people walk out with sometimes 4 or 5 bags a person. and they go there a lot. (i like people watching and people talk a lot sometimes. i swear I don't follow people to hear their opinions about primark)

but then again i could always find something at walmart, so... 

totally unrelated. going to Vegas tomorrow with work. have 2 days i can completely spend however i want. arrival and departure days not included. FJ'ers, which Nationalparks would you recommend? (I've been to Grand Canyon already and I've seen Vegas so i wanna do something else..)

was thinking in the likes of bryce canyon, antelope, zion...? any recommendations.

and in order to also add to the topic a little bit. i actually quite like how Jessa dresses. comfortable clothes can't be beaten. and she might've gotten changed after the wedding too. she has two small kids, her clothes might have gotten dirty. i saw it with my aunt at a wedding this year too, and her kids are older...

@SeekingAdventure - Definitely do Bryce Canyon. It knocks Zion out of the park. We were just there in September and it was so stunningly beautiful. If you haven't done the North Rim of the Grand Canyon (and if the road is still open), that's also amazing. Easy drive from St. George (which is a great "outpost" town from Vegas). 

@SapphireSlytherin sounds awesome. yeah I'm gonna check if any of my colleagues wanna cime. otherwise solo roadtrip. yay. 

I'm honestly not sure which side of the grand canyon I did. it's been five years. i'd have to google it.

bryce was my firtst thought though. do you think i'd need two days just for bryce?

5 minutes ago, SeekingAdventure said:

@SapphireSlytherin sounds awesome. yeah I'm gonna check if any of my colleagues wanna cime. otherwise solo roadtrip. yay. 

I'm honestly not sure which side of the grand canyon I did. it's been five years. i'd have to google it.

bryce was my firtst thought though. do you think i'd need two days just for bryce?

If you don't know which side of the Grand Canyon you went to, you almost definitely went to the South Rim. lol  

As for time, you can do Bryce in one day, and do Zion and maybe the North Rim on the second day. You'd just "drive through" Zion (figure a couple hours if you want to stop and take photos) on the way to the North Rim  - it's an out-and-back highway.

Unless you're wanting to hike? Our trip through was really just a driving tour, with several stops for scenery/short walks.

Edit:  This is also assuming you're not averse to roadtripping and spending a lot of time in a car. Otherwise, Bryce in a day, Zion in a day.

yeah i'm pretty sure it was the south rim. it was really amazing though. my shoes were broken afterwords because the soles kinda melted but it was June. what was i thinking? haha.

I don't mind driving at all. love taking photo stops, so i'd probably just see how it works out with time, if i can do both or not. 

driving with short walks and photo stops works just fine for me. if i like it somewhere i'll be there longer, and uf i don't i keep driving. so excited now :D

there's so much to do in this area. definitely the next bigger roadtrip for me, if I can't convince my mom do to HP in Orlando with me in February. lol

1 hour ago, SeekingAdventure said:

there's so much to do in this area. definitely the next bigger roadtrip for me, if I can't convince my mom do to HP in Orlando with me in February. lol

Yeah, we want to go back, for sure!

And if your mom won't go to Orlando with you, I will! lol

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived