IGNORED

Dillards 64: Now with Multi-Level Marketing!

Georgiana

Derick tweeted today...

This week I had my first midterm exam in law school and became a naturalized uncle! It’s been a good week!

I am guessing now that he is a law student we should get used to him using big words, although not always appropriately.   I am assuming he is referring to the fact this is his first nephew or niece he is blood related to via "the natural way."  So apparently the Seewald boys, the M kids, Felicity and (oh hell I can't remember them all)... are all unnaturalized nieces and nephews.     

There are several definitions of naturalization from plant growth to citizenship but I have never heard it used to distinguish family relations.

PS.   At some point he also became a naturalized asshole, though it was long before this week. 

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm an alien, not naturalized yet, so his other nephews and nieces are alien? Nephews in law? Weird, Derick.

8 hours ago, Daisy0322 said:

Thank you! I love it when people just let themselves age gracefully. It's perfectly fine to look your age and I think you should embrace it. You can be beautiful at every stage of life.

I agree! I want to know what I look like as an old lady.  I'm curious. 

In my head, I think about sculpting lipo stuff and a boob lift.  But, never my face.  I'm scared!  Cheers to those who get work done.  I support women aging naturally or with some help.  Do you girl, live your best life!  

Who dat?  Who dat dem like?  Who dat FJ'er dat like my post?!  It's my friend!  Hi @VelociRapture  ?

7 hours ago, Fjrocks said:

Derick tweeted today...

This week I had my first midterm exam in law school and became a naturalized uncle! It’s been a good week!

I am guessing now that he is a law student we should get used to him using big words, although not always appropriately.   I am assuming he is referring to the fact this is his first nephew or niece he is blood related to via "the natural way."  So apparently the Seewald boys, the M kids, Felicity and (oh hell I can't remember them all)... are all unnaturalized nieces and nephews.     

There are several definitions of naturalization from plant growth to citizenship but I have never heard it used to distinguish family relations.

PS.   At some point he also became a naturalized asshole, though it was long before this week. 

I told you that there were lots of intellectually stunted blowhards in law school.  It's taken Derick less than two weeks to prove me right.  

Naturalized uncle, lol. Was there a test? Did he have to pledge allegiance to his Nephew?

I’m trying to think of a better way to communicate what he means and I just keep coming back to “an uncle by blood.” Is there any other way to say it that makes sense?

Also, who cares? A sibling having a baby is exciting, sure. But why is he framing it as an accomplishment for himself? Like he’s more excited for himself to be a “ naturalized uncle “ (lol) than for his brother to be a new father. He only mentioned it so he could brag about law school in the same tweet. 

And by the way, how is he already at midterms? Most schools only just started a week or two ago! Time is fucking with me. Will he posts his test scores? He’s so eager to brag, I feel like he might.

He will only brag if there’s something to brag about.  Announcing the exam before getting the results appears to be the equivalent of revealing the courtship before an engagement is certain. 

Also, I’ve never heard of an exam in law school so early in the year.  He’s been there for maybe a month?  My law school courses only had final exams and they were brutal. 

Couldn't he have just said something along the lines of "my first nephew on my side of the family" or "Izzy & Sam's new cousin"?

19 minutes ago, FloraKitty35 said:

Couldn't he have just said something along the lines of "my first nephew on my side of the family" or "Izzy & Sam's new cousin"?

Well, of course he could have, but that wouldn't have caused anyone to attack him, which - in turn - means he wouldn't have any reason to feel persecuted, and receive adulation from his fundiefamily for being a martyr.

Okay Jill tweeted today,

"White Chicken Chili Recipe! This is a recipe from our Aunt Bobye that we had a lot growing up."

I am not a grammar expert so it's probably fine, but as a regular person, I read that and think, Jesus, don't eat your aunt.

And...is she your unnaturalized aunt or your naturalized aunt?!?  That makes a difference.

Something about the Duggars and "naturalized" being used to refer to their relationship with a family member rang a bell for me, like it sounded familiar.

Sure enough, I think Derick has said this same phrase before and last time around I think we all went "WTF?" too. I think in 2016 Derick called Spurgeon his "naturalized" nephew. See this FJ thread for some comments.

Soooo what does "naturalized" mean to Derick? Since it was used in reference to Spurgeon, who would be an in-law, and the new Dillard baby, who he's related to by blood, I guess it doesn't have anything to do with that status. Is it just a word he throws in there? I'm really trying to figure this out. :my_huh:

32 minutes ago, TheMustardCardigan said:

Something about the Duggars and "naturalized" being used to refer to their relationship with a family member rang a bell for me, like it sounded familiar.

Sure enough, I think Derick has said this same phrase before and last time around I think we all went "WTF?" too. I think in 2016 Derick called Spurgeon his "naturalized" nephew. See this FJ thread for some comments.

Soooo what does "naturalized" mean to Derick? Since it was used in reference to Spurgeon, who would be an in-law, and the new Dillard baby, who he's related to by blood, I guess it doesn't have anything to do with that status. Is it just a word he throws in there? I'm really trying to figure this out. :my_huh:

Oh! I think I know the answer to this one. :562479b1e2079_Whyhullothurwave:

He has no idea what it means and just wants to sound smart. :handgestures-thumbupright:

20 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

Women I think have aged beautifully without any (or much?) surgery---Jamie Lee Curtis (who also embraces her grey hair), and Yoko Ono.  I know she may not be a popular choice, but I think she looks lovely---and she's 85!   And Rita Moreno---she's 86!  She's on the cover of my new AARP magazine & I am in awe.   Oh--and Cyndi Lauper (who also was on the cover of AARP.) 

In the film Isle of Dogs, there is a character Assistant Scientist Yoko Ono and she is voiced by none other than the Yoko Ono!  

@cascarones, would that Colorscience powder work on the part on my hair?  My dental tech was worried about my sunburned scalp when I saw her recently for a cleaning.

24 minutes ago, Iamtheway said:

Oh! I think I know the answer to this one. :562479b1e2079_Whyhullothurwave:

He has no idea what it means and just wants to sound smart. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Yeah I agree. But it would be funny to hear him fumble through his reasoning behind using that word! 

1 hour ago, TheMustardCardigan said:

Oh yeah! I knew this sounded familiar! I can’t believe he did it again. Is he really so dense?

Is it possible he’s heard the phrase “natural child” in his circle growing up, and somehow misunderstood it? Saying someone has a “natural child” is a polite way of saying the child is illegitimate. So I could see people saying that and not explaining what it means to a young boy. Still, I’ve never heard of a naturalized uncle.

Seriously, what does he think it means? If he previously said it about Spurgeon then he wasn’t trying to use it to mean “by blood relation.” So what the hell is he saying? What a weirdo. 

I totally thought he could have meant it in an "I'm feeling natural as an uncle?". The dictionary definition makes no sense:

1.admit (a foreigner) to the citizenship of a country.

2. establish (a plant or animal) so that it lives wild in a region where it is not indigenous.

Like what the actual F?

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

@cascarones, would that Colorscience powder work on the part on my hair?

Yep! I'd just watch for it looking powdery. Like a lot of other folks here I'm dealing with hair issues, mine is growing back in after being sick, but I'm protective of my fuzz and just use the Banana Boat scalp spray one. 

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived