IGNORED

Josiah and Lauren Part 10: First Look at the Wedding

Coconut Flan

One place that completely lived up to the hype for me was the Taj Mahal. Maybe I was expecting to be underwhelmed, but stepping through the gate and seeing the Taj Mahal for the first time just stunned me.

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My "places I want to go" list is miles long. I've enjoyed just about everywhere I've ever visited, however! Loved, loved Paris. Love New Orleans. Love Walt Disney World. In Peru I've been to Lima, Iquitos, Cusco and Urubamba, and been to Machu Picchu. All amazing. 

I'm hoping soon to try and do more "tourist" things locally. I work in Charlotte, NC, and there are SO many museums and things here that I haven't been to yet. Asheville, Winston-Salem, and Greenville SC are all within range for day trips, and I've been to all of them, but would like to go and look at them more as a tourist. My next vacation is Myrtle Beach, which will be a "relaxing" vacation. Most of my vacations are gogogogogogo all the time do all the things vacations! But this one will involve some lounging on the beach, some playing mini golf, some riding around in a golf cart catching Pokemon, and a trip to Brookgreen Garden. Possibly also Atalaya. 

I'm hoping to be able to go to my friend's wedding in Iceland next year, and maybe on a family trip in a few years to Hawaii. I'd like to visit my cousin in NYC. If money was unlimited, I'd spend half my time traveling, probably. Sadly, it is limited. So here I work.

3 hours ago, WiseGirl said:

@SeekingAdventure I forget who said to go to Bar Harbor, Maine, do it. Still one of my favorite vacations from childhood. See Freeport, Maine if you have the time. Blow through Kittery, outlet shopping, it's a nightmare. In Connecticut skip New Haven, go to Mystic instead. If you have time to go to Newport, Rhode Island, go. The cliff walk is amazing.

Oh, I actually have Newport on my list too, I might not have mentionned it, but it is great to hear that it is recommended.

TBH, Connecticut I did not really find thaat much that really drew me there yet (sorry to locals, I don't mean it in a bad way) and I thought I might like to drive by Yale, if it is on the way. I had mystic as a possibility too though. 

Freeport would be on my way up to Bar Harbor/Acadia, so I'll add that to my list right now :) Thanks!!!

I also want to mention something concerning Frankfurt vs Munich. I do want to mention that I am absolutely not racist, but if you compare Frankfurt to Munich, there are a lot more Germans/Bavarians or people that moved there but are really integrated in the culture in Munich, versus Frankfurt where in many of the surrounding areas you feel a big strange if you don't speak turkish. I lived in Raunheim for 7 weeks, and while the house I was living was mainly for people working at the airport or for airlines, pretty much all the neighbor houses had turkish people living there. Which in itself is not an issue, but if you go to the railwaystation and then there are 20 teenagers screaming at you in turkish and laughing, and you know that whatever they said probably was not a very nice thing, it just doesn't really make you feel good, you know?

This might be coming across really strange now, but imo, anytime I was moving to another country or travelled there for longer, I tried my hardest to learn the language and speak the local language. I think if you are at home and you meet your friends, yeah, of course speak your language, practice your religion, eat your food etc, but if you walk around in Germany and you refuse to learn German, it is rude in my opinion, and that is also a huge factor why Munich will always win over Frankfurt to me.

I want to travel Europe when I graduate from university in two years time. I hope Brexit doesn't make this too complicated, before then I want finish my driving lessons and drive to various places in the UK. I like the fact both cities, mountains and beaches are all within a few hours drive here. My sister and her boyfriend took my nephew's to a holiday park in the Highlands and said it was most beautiful place she had ever went to, she got it cheap through the sun newspaper.

4 minutes ago, Glasgowghirl said:

in the Highlands and said it was most beautiful place

I can attest - it is STUNNING. Breath-taking. I loved it so that we plan to go back soon. :)

2 minutes ago, FleeJanaFree said:

@Alisamer any suggestions for Charlotte for me? Or a restraurant suggestion? I'll be there for a long weekend soon!

Oooh! Fun! If you like art, there's the Bechtler Museum of Modern Art, the Mint Museum, and the Harvey Gantt Center for African American Art and Culture. Discovery place is a fun kid's science place, that sometimes has evening events for adults and has an IMAX theater. Levine Museum of the New South is very good. The NASCAR hall of fame comes highly recommended, even by non-fans, as it's got some fun activities to do. If you like outdoorsy stuff, the National Whitewater Center is here (Olympic whitewater training center) and has a man-made river with rapids, hiking trails, zip line, climbing wall, stand up paddle boarding on the real river, and a restaurant. The Carolina Raptor Center rehabilitates birds of prey. It's near Latta Plantation, I think. Freedom Park is a nice park, in uptown there's the Romare Bearden park, the Green, and 2 really cool old cemeteries. If you need high-end shopping, Southpark Mall is the ritzy mall, there's an American Girl and lego store there along with Nordstrom, Tiffany's  and plenty of others.

Nearby are several small towns -  Belmont especially has some cute restaurants (Nellie's I hear is good, it's owned by the Jonas Brothers' family; also String Bean and Old Stone are highly recommended), a park right in downtown, an antique store or two (there's a HUGE one in another section of town), and a good coffee shop. Farther out in Belmont is Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden.

On the border with South Carolina is Carowinds amusement park - lots of thrill rides and a water park.

For restaurants, in Charlotte there's Crave (a dessert and small plates bar in SouthEnd), Savor, RiRa (Pub, I haven't been in years but I used to love it), Bang Bang Burger, Pinky's (there's a Volkswagen on the roof!), The Burger Company, Price's Chicken Coop (fried chicken place), and Amelie's bakery - one in uptown (what other cities call downtown) and one in NoDa which is an artsy part of town. Haymaker is a new restaurant I haven't tried yet. I've had good food at Cafe Monte, and Viva Chicken has good Peruvian chicken. Plus a ton of others! My sister and her hubby go to Ruth's Chris for fancy dinners. FYI, in this area usually a hamburger ordered "all the way" means mustard, onions, chili and slaw. You can get this at Wendy's here, called a Carolina Classic - it's not shown on all the menus but they have it, and it is very good.

Man, I wish I had been to as many places as you all have. I've only been to 27 U.S. State & D.C, I've been to Niagra Falls Canada, The Bahamas and Turks & Caicos, and that is it. My parents loved going on vacation, but only in the continental US, they are NOT risk takers, well my mother is not a risk taker and it was her way or the highway to hell.  My dad has lived and traveled all over the globe, He was born in TX, lived in Japan, Hawaii, California and settled in AR where is dad was from after his father retired from the Air Force. He's spent time in Cuba (pre Castro) where his mother is from, he is a Vietnam Vet, so he's been there, he's been to Korea, China a few times, Russia, France, Mexico, he just got back from Belize, he's been to El Salvador and Honduras, all of this was for work,  My mom has been on a few Cruises and been to Mexico in the 90's and Canada, but won't go to Europe because she's to afraid of "terrorists".  So over seas travel was NEVER an option for us growing up even though my folks could afford it and my dad wanted too, my mother would never let us because of her fears. I'm turning 50 in 2 years (and 2 weeks) and I'm saving up for a big European trip I want to go to London & all over England and up into Scotland, and over to Ireland. I wish I could take a month off and go to France, Spain, Switzerland, Iceland, Denmark & Germany as well.  but that will have to be another trip or 2.

4 hours ago, SeekingAdventure said:

@Mar I think Munich gives a better insight in the culture. I don't realy know how to describe it because it's a bit stereotypical i guess, but if you think of Germany most people think of the Oktoberfest beer etc. thats quintessential munich. but also there is so much to do in munich besides the Oktoberfest (which i've never been to because i'm not a fan) going in either direction you'll find a lot of things to do as well as in the city 

If you have never been to the Oktoberfest, how do you know it is quintessential Munich? As a „Münchner Kindl“ myself, I agree that Munich is a lot more than just the Oktoberfest. If you (general you) want stereotypical Bavarian (often confused with German abroad) whatever, go there by all means, enjoy some yummy food and good beer and have a good time. The day after, get sober and take a real look at the city and its surroundings. Otherwise you will not have experienced Munich (let alone Bavaria or Germany) but a big party with Dirndl dresses. From what I have heard, you could have that in Texas, too. 

So Josiah says courtship is dating whith a purpose and not just a one night “shag”! I am clutching my pearls! Not a thing I thought he would say!!!! Jim Bob must be clutching his pearls too!!  Go Siah!

3 minutes ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

So Josiah says courtship is dating whith a purpose and not just a one night “shag”! I am clutching my pearls! Not a thing I thought he would say!!!! Jim Bob must be clutching his pearls too!!  Go Siah!

LOL! I wonder if he knows what that means, or if he was thinking of the South Carolina state dance.

13 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

LOL! I wonder if he knows what that means, or if he was thinking of the South Carolina state dance.

I loved this movie, I need to find it and watch it again.

shag-01-still_756_426_81_s.jpg.8df72330ce05c90d6a9487a1c0cc8111.jpg

4 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

One place that completely lived up to the hype for me was the Taj Mahal.

For me, it was the Grand Canyon. Literally took my breath away.

@prayawaythefundie I think we actually mean the same thing but I did not really bring my point across well. I do not really fancy drinking beer, and my friends really do, and I don't enjoy babysitting drunk people.

What I was trying to say is that you can do much more in Munich than you can do in Frankfurt, and Munich is more than just the Octoberfest. So I do think we are on the same page here, right?

@SeekingAdventure Cape Cod and Boston are both great.  I have never been to Maine but my parents took a trip to Bar Harbor and loved it.  Vermont is also beautiful.  I think two and a half weeks is a good amount of time to do the traveling you're planning on.  Most of the places you're thinking of visiting are not too far of a drive from one another (a few hours or so) and it should leave you enough time to feel like you can enjoy each place without spending all of your time driving around (although sometimes the scenery you see is some of the fun!)

55 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

For me, it was the Grand Canyon. Literally took my breath away.

I've only ever seen the Grand Canyon from a plane, but what I have seen is breathtaking. I hope to see it up close someday soon.

13 minutes ago, Thorns said:

So, @Alisamer, are you going out for Community day? And, you wouldn't happen to have a Heracross you want to get rid off...? 

I am! With my sister. We'll do Charlotte on Saturday and probably Belmont or Mt. Holly on Sunday. And we both do have extra Heracrosses! They show up at Walt Disney World sometimes. I also have an extra Farfetch'd...

PMing you!

1 hour ago, Lullu-Beanz said:

I've only ever seen the Grand Canyon from a plane, but what I have seen is breathtaking. I hope to see it up close someday soon.

Same - but we're going there in September! I can't wait.

The one that took MY breath away was Stonehenge. Everyone had always told me I'd be disappointed, that it was "small," and that it was always crowded...

I guess that totally LOWERED my expectations, but holy shit, yall. When we got there (toward the end of the day, in winter), we were the ONLY ones out there. We actually went back a year later, with special "within the stones" access at sunrise.

IMG_8051.JPG

My "funniest" touristy experience was seeing the Crown Jewels in London.  We lined up for a really long time outside (which was cool and fun chatting with other tourists in the lineup), but when we finally got to see the jewels, were put on a people mover which whisked us past them in about 45 seconds.  

It was anti climatic to say the least, but the friend I went with and I did have a good laugh about it, at least.

The first time I flew to Hawaii, and I had my first glimpse of Oahu out the window of the airplane, I was awestruck.  Hawaii is still one of my favourite places on earth, I love it there.

6 hours ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

Americans don’t say “shag.” He said “one-night stand.” I’m not surprised that he would know what that is, if only because he’s been told that it’s what the heathens do.

Just now, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Americans don’t say “shag.” He said “one-night stand.” I’m not surprised that he would know what that is, if only because he’s been told that it’s what the heathens do.

This. For the fundies there is just no middle ground. You either court and marry without even having kissed or you are a dating heathen, having a one night stand every friday night after work. Because that‘s how we all do it. :56247958035f1_32(18):

15 hours ago, SeekingAdventure said:

@Melissa1977 i've been to Barcelona in 2012 and loved it there. to this day on my top ten list of favourite cities. would go back if it happens to happen, too and almost did last fall but with all the protests in Catalonia i decided not to and went to cape Town instead. it is such a great place though. sorry for not mentioning it :my_biggrin:

@Gobbles I'm still waiting that i have to go to stuttgart for work so i haven't been there yet, but i heard many good things. 

Frankfurt airport for me is not very well organized and therefor i honestly hate it. I'm staff but they don't let us enter at staff entries because we're not Lufthansa and we might not be on duty. but Lufthansa employees can walk through in private clothes because they are 'obviously' going to work. riiight. I'm obviously only wearing my uniform because i ran out of clean clothes and i felt like hsnging out at the airport..

security at the checkpoints isn't very good (as seen last weekend, or in Munich 2 weeks ago). they are overwhelmed with the crowds and yet only open limited checkpoints with 4-5 people at each and still make mistakes like letting a complete family pass with a positive bomb test?

and then frankfurt does not make sense. you have to run through tunnels to get from one area (A to B) when it is literally next to each other. it is ridiculous. there are glass walls, you can see it, they could make sliding doirs or whatever because you don't have to pass controls but no, let's send them to the other side three floors down through a tunnel thtee floors up and back. but hey there's decorations down there.

and then there is the (rarely working) cleaning, catering and de-icing. who would think that in mid February there should be someone on standby for deicing? they ended up getting one person per terminal because it was unexpectedly snowing (unless you listen to the weather report or look out side the window ever) and everything was delayed. and then the crew gets blamed and people ask for money back for delays.

i seriously don't like fraport. sounds about logical that i'm working for frankfurt departures again next month, doesn't it? :my_dodgy:

*rant over*

Well, let’s say German “efficiency” had some major drawbacks in the last ten years. And friendly service is definitely something we need to work on in general!

The winter surprise of ice and snow (for airports and even worse the railways) is a yearly drama the whole nation watches with laughter and despair. Same goes for hot weather in the summer. Who would have expected it....?!

@SamiKatz - that moving sidewalk for the crown jewels was ridiculous, no? God help you if you want to really LOOK at them! lol

As for "shag" for sex, I knew that term long before I married MrSlytherin-the-Brit.

43 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

I have the show recorded and Josiah said “shag”. Maybe it was changed for tlc website, IDK.  He said shag and got the old side eye from Lauren. Truth.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived