IGNORED

Josiah and Lauren Part 10: First Look at the Wedding

Coconut Flan

20 minutes ago, TatiFish9 said:

The bulk of their pre-courtship was long distance.

I still can't get over the fact that these families move closer to the Duggars if a marriage is imminent. The entire family. First Seewalds now Swansons. That is crazy, but realistic I guess. Wow. Duggars must be powerful in their corner of fundieville.

The Seewalds didn't move closer to the Duggars. Only Ben moved into the guest house (or whatever they called it). As far as I know, the Swansons are the only family that's actually relocated to be closer to the Duggars (and to be fair, we don't know all the reasons they relocated).

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, TatiFish9 said:

There are 8 cities (London, Brussels, Frankfurt, Innsbruck, Venice, Lucerne, and Paris). I am excited. An agent is supposed to contact me next week. At that point I can get further information on hotels and tour time frames. 

That's only 7 cities not 8.:my_rolleyes:

Those cities are great - but if there's any way you could swap Frankfurt for Munich or Berlin, I'd recommend that. Frankfurt is nice, but it doesn't have nearly the "draw" that the other two do. :)

Oooh - and Venice is lovely! OMG - I'm so jellyjell now! lol

@SapphireSlytherin I will see if they have other tours when I speak with the agent. Venice is a dream come true, but I want Rome!!! We'll see what I can finagle this time around. Maybe a Rome tour may include Berlin. As long as Paris and London are stops, I'm good. 

2 hours ago, TatiFish9 said:

I still can't get over the fact that these families move closer to the Duggars if a marriage is imminent. The entire family. First Seewalds now Swansons. That is crazy, but realistic I guess. Wow. Duggars must be powerful in their corner of fundieville.

The Bowers moved to get friendly with the Bontragers, and that worked out. Looks like it's not an unusual fundie tactic.

2 hours ago, TatiFish9 said:

@SapphireSlytherin I will see if they have other tours when I speak with the agent. Venice is a dream come true, but I want Rome!!! We'll see what I can finagle this time around. Maybe a Rome tour may include Berlin. As long as Paris and London are stops, I'm good. 

I vote Rome over Venice! Venice is a sad caricature of what it once was at this point. Rome has depth. /Italy snob crawls back into her snobby cave

44 minutes ago, Knight of Ni said:

Lauren's dad is Dwain Swanson.

50 minutes ago, erunerune said:

I vote Rome over Venice! Venice is a sad caricature of what it once was at this point. Rome has depth. /Italy snob crawls back into her snobby cave

If I only had one chance to go to Italy it would be Rome.

For some reason your,comments reminded me of DaVinci's Demons. lol

6 hours ago, Lizzybet said:

They don’t KNOW each other.

How long did they court? I don’t see the show, only follow them here, but it seems to me this was ‘all of a sudden’.

They "got to know" each other for about 4 months (Sept-Jan), courted SIX WEEKS (Jan-Feb), engaged 4 months (Feb-Jun). So, about 9 months to get to know each other, with chaperones, before Hymen Breeching Day. 

6 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Those cities are great - but if there's any way you could swap Frankfurt for Munich or Berlin, I'd recommend that. Frankfurt is nice, but it doesn't have nearly the "draw" that the other two do. :)

Oooh - and Venice is lovely! OMG - I'm so jellyjell now! lol

@TatiFish9

will heavily disagree. Berlin is only interesting to tourists (but I think apart from running down some sights it has nothing to offer - it is all politics and the obvious history sights concentrate mostly on the Nazi-Regime) and people who live in Berlin.

Frankfurt has much to offer it is just not as obvious (one of the biggest cities since the Middle Ages, the city where the Roman-German Kaiser was elected and crowned- at least till -1806, the first German Parliament assembled in Frankfurt, the Europeans Central Bank sits here and it is the worlds biggest Internet node(right word?), the historic centre, the Goethe connection, .... and nice food and nightlife).

Thinking about it maybe Berlin is a good choice for people who want to visit Berlin, but not for people who want to get to know Germany.

But I agree about Munich. Rather expensive but just beautiful. More what tourists expect from Germany.

I think a US honeymoon would be fun - the United States is HUGE, and you could still have the "things are so different here" bit. Have one of the couples go to New York or California or Alaska. 

I will be honest and say that I don't even own a passport and don't have plans to travel internationally anytime soon, if ever. Having chronic health issues is a big part of that (flying is NOT fun for me for many reasons), and I just really, really love road trips. I have been all over the country with my family growing up, and still have only seen a fraction of the US.
I really want to take a road trip with my husband to Moab, Utah. I got to take a spring break trip there during college and absolutely fell in love with the landscape in that area. There is just miles and miles of open country and natural wonders - it really made an impact on me at the time. 

I always wonder why Americans and Australians mostly visit the bigger cities when they are in Europe. To me, the best parts are the smaller towns, nature and coastlines etc. I would never choose Venice over going to the Dolomites or the Chianti (although Rome or Florence are already much better than Venice). Or why would you choose Paris over the Provence? 

Americans go to the "bigger cities" because that's what most of us see in movies, on the news, etc. Plus, the "bigger cities" are full of the "must-see" attractions that we learn about in school.

Many people choose the cities because they're easier to navigate, especially with potential language barriers:  you're much more likely to encounter English-speaking people in Paris or Berlin or Munich or Venice or Rome than in a random small town. That said, I spend about 3-4 months prior to any trip to Europe with language podcasts so I can at least learn the basics of conversation (hello/goodbye/thank you/where's the bathroom). lol

DH and I both love the rural areas, and often rent a car and just drive around. Many people aren't comfortable with that.

6 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Americans go to the "bigger cities" because that's what most of us see in movies, on the news, etc. Plus, the "bigger cities" are full of the "must-see" attractions that we learn about in school.

Many people choose the cities because they're easier to navigate, especially with potential language barriers:  you're much more likely to encounter English-speaking people in Paris or Berlin or Munich or Venice or Rome than in a random small town. That said, I spend about 3-4 months prior to any trip to Europe with language podcasts so I can at least learn the basics of conversation (hello/goodbye/thank you/where's the bathroom). lol

DH and I both love the rural areas, and often rent a car and just drive around. Many people aren't comfortable with that.

All of this is accurate. Mr. Blessed and I like to go to smaller towns and countryside on our vacations, but we also live in a big city. There's no novelty to urban life for us. We'll go to museums in cities and have a good time, but given the choice, we'd rather spend time somewhere less populated. But yes, you do have to work MUCH harder to learn the language and that can be stressful. 

I also think it could potentially be cost? My in-laws in England are able to travel around Europe without it costing an arm and a leg. For Americans, it's kind of a luxury to be able to travel to Europe, and it costs us so much just to get there, plus the length of time it takes to travel (as well as limited vacation days from work)a. We can fly into an airport in a major city, and may not have the time or funds to travel further into the countryside.

I also think many Americans want to try to get over to Europe and city-hop across the continent, since it is cheap and accessible once there. It would be easier to hop around between larger cities in different countries I would imagine.

51 minutes ago, CarrotCake said:

Or why would you choose Paris over the Provence? 

The Louvre. I could spend days there. And the d'Orsay. And the catacombs, and Pere Lachaise, and the Orangerie, and Notre Dame, and Sainte Chapelle, and the Seine, and...

I mean, yeah, I'd love to visit Provence, but given ONE chance to go to France, I'd start in Paris. We were there for about 4-5 days going non-stop and could have used at least another week just to see everything on our wishlist in the city! Plus almost everyone in Paris spoke English and the Metro was super-easy so transportation was no-stress, so much easier for inexperienced travelers. I'd love to see other parts of France (especially Mont St. Michel), but I'm really glad my first trip was Paris. It would have hurt to be within the same country as the d'Orsay and Louvre without seeing Winged Victory, and Michelangelo's slaves, and the Berninis, and Degas, and so many hundreds of other amazing artworks. We didn't make it to the Pompidou Center, Shakespeare and Company, or get to tour the Opera, so those are on my list if I ever go back. 

I'd love to visit more rural areas too, don't get me wrong. It's wonderful to see places that are less touristy and more "real". But we all have different things we want to experience. My cousin traveled Europe for a couple months just out of college - his goal was to ride every roller coaster he could get to and see every amusement park there. My degree is in art, and my art history professor had seen almost every piece she taught us about, and I've longed to see them all myself for years. Our trip to Paris was a surprise until we got to the airport in New York - my middle sister planned it and wouldn't tell us where we were going until then. My first question? "Will we get to see the Louvre?!"

15 hours ago, marmalade said:

They "got to know" each other for about 4 months (Sept-Jan), courted SIX WEEKS (Jan-Feb), engaged 4 months (Feb-Jun). So, about 9 months to get to know each other, with chaperones, before Hymen Breeching Day. 

this made my day. Hymen breeching day. Can i just send you a brownie please!

1 hour ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I don't like big cities plus I am a Canadian. I would rather go say like Portugal but Corsica opposed to Lisbon. i didn't like Nice, but I loved Monaco, so small cities...and I like the beach.  Not to sit in the sun but I need water around me. 

15 hours ago, marmalade said:

They "got to know" each other for about 4 months (Sept-Jan), courted SIX WEEKS (Jan-Feb), engaged 4 months (Feb-Jun). So, about 9 months to get to know each other, with chaperones, before Hymen Breeching Dahy. 

One of my co-workers got married over the weekend in an arranged marriage.

He came to Canada from Pakistan about 18 years ago in his early teens. About 3 years ago he was introduced to a girl in Pakistan with the idea that she would become his wife.  She arrived in Canada on July 15th.  They have spent the last 3 years talking and texting each other.

Tomorrow at work could be a bit awkward as I know he broke someone's hymen this weekend.

We enjoy the cities in Europe because they're different from anything here. We love the history. We have mountains and Lake Tahoe on our doorstep so the scenery is not as exciting. My BIL  arranged a trip to Ireland, 1.5 days in Dublin and 5.5 days in Killarney. Should have been reversed.

1 hour ago, Alisamer said:

I mean, yeah, I'd love to visit Provence, but given ONE chance to go to France, I'd start in Paris. 

I think this was the point I failed to make :) For many people, getting to go to Europe may be a once in a lifetime experience. If you had one chance to get there from the US, I think a lot of people would make the choice to see the biggest highlights. That's obviously not to say there isn't anything else worth seeing not in the "touristy" cities! 

I live pretty close to NYC. Whenever I go into the city on my own, the things that I choose to do are far different than when my in-laws/friends from England come to the US and want to see the city. I would be happy to never be in the middle of Times Square again! Alas, it's what everyone wants to see, and I'm happy I get to show them.

Beaches hold zero attraction for me. I like bigger cities just because I can walk around and be kept busy. Smaller towns are great for that as well, just I'm not someone who likes being in the car for long periods of time. 

I know that some people go for the heat, but people here are always talking about their vacations to the beach in the DR or Mexico. It's like why in the name of the sacred heart of jesus would I fly that far to see the beach? I live a 5-10 minute walk from the beach, I can see it every since day. I can't always get in the water but it's there. Makes no sense to me but whatever floats people's boats. 

Speaking of said beach! I said to someone once, I live close to the beach. They said "Oh me too! I'm only about a 2 and a half hour drive from the beach." My response was "It would have to be the best beach in the frigging world for me to drive 2 and a half hours. I'm a 10 minute walk." Perspective, I guess! 

7 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Speaking of said beach! I said to someone once, I live close to the beach. They said "Oh me too! I'm only about a 2 and a half hour drive from the beach." My response was "It would have to be the best beach in the frigging world for me to drive 2 and a half hours. I'm a 10 minute walk." Perspective, I guess! 

It's definitely perspective! I live about a 3 hour drive or so from the beach. And I will absolutely drive that far to go to the beach! I'd rather go to the Caribbean, where the water is clear to your feet and so incredibly blue. But I do love the beach. I get it, not everyone does. My aunt hates the sand. If the beach has always been RIGHT THERE I guess there's nothing special about it. But as a child we got maybe 2 long weekends away from home a year, and one was always the beach. Some of my best memories are of the beach. 

We're headed there again Labor Day week, and I'm really looking forward to it. Mornings on the beach, evenings playing putt putt and shopping, and we're going to see Brookgreen Garden this time, too. 

Cities, countryside, mountains, lakes, rivers, beaches...I like it all. As long as there is good food to be had. I will travel for food, thousands of miles if necessary. I am food-curious. Food is a huge part of culture and tradition - what people eat, how people eat, getting together to eat, etc. 

We planned our honeymoon (a roadtrip through Italy) based on regions of culinary interest to us. Lots of coastline, countryside, and smaller towns. And Rome, OK - my husband had never been to Italy, and I guess if you have one chance, as someone in a previous post said...But Rome has some great food, if you know where to go. We could have gone on for another year, but alas, we only had 2 weeks!

Planning a trip to Japan for 2019, same concept. And Studio Ghibli, huge fan :)

I spent three weeks in Europe and did three cities. Budapest, krakow and Rome  

I want to do the French countryside one day. 

Italy is where I need to go back the most.  I want to do Florence and just enjoy Italy. I have a few things I would like to do in Rome since I didn’t get them. Italy would be a week and possibly another European country while there. 

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

1.5 days in Dublin and 5.5 days in Killarney.

I'd say 1.5 to 2 days is more than enough in Dublin, especially for people like DH and me, who are constantly on-the-go. We had 1.5 days and did everything we wanted but St. Patrick's Cathedral. We'll go back, but likely spend less than a full day in Dublin, and up to two weeks tootling around the other parts of the island. :)

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived