IGNORED

Josiah and Lauren Part 10: First Look at the Wedding

Coconut Flan

They might have just meant it was new to Lauren's family because she's the oldest kid and the first to court. They didn't go into any detail.

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, MoonFace said:

Thank  you. 

So, I guess Lauren's parents dated.   I wonder how they feel about their daughter getting in to that cult?   (Must be ok if they moved near) 

Talk about sacrificing your kid..............

they might not be used to the courtship modal themselves but it can't be that forign to them they have known the Duggar's since Josie was born and were even on one episode of 19kAC. plus they are following in the Duggar large family scale. Lauren's mom just had her ninth baby wouldn't surprise me if her and Lauren had over lapping pregnancy's at some point. 

3 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

she would just wear a skirt over pants the way Joy did when she was skiing. 

Just want to point out that Joy didn’t wear a skirt over her ski pants. (Pics under spoiler). Kendra and Anna did though. Lauren strikes me as the type that would’nt wear a skirt over them but who knows.

Abbie would definitely only wear pants. There are pics of her on tumblr with jeans on and with nurse uniform with pants

Spoiler

3A2CB74A-0192-415B-BB6C-C79838A62C3B.thumb.png.6495038c58c9f936a551bb1a9955c350.png

ECFF7D11-6FF7-4A0A-AD76-EF1E3F3BBB3D.thumb.png.414727ef6d6b00af95607a0777820802.png

6645219A-D8EA-4B11-AFC7-68C5B0B74A1A.thumb.png.41ce6234f5dde358ab196caa9f8a0400.png

This has probably already been asked and answered but I couldn’t find it.

Why did Lauren’s family move to Arkansas?

2 minutes ago, TeaELSee said:

This has probably already been asked and answered but I couldn’t find it.

Why did Lauren’s family move to Arkansas?

well I doubt they've given an official answer but it's clear they moved so that Lauren and Siah could be closer together.  it's clear the Swanson parents want to be best buddy's with the Duggar's

There have also been older pictures of Jill or Jessa (can't remember which one) with ski-pants on (without skirt).

Edit: apparently it is both, I found the pictures (under spoiler)

Spoiler

6151a4a0-19dc-0132-70f4-0add9426c766.jpgjessa+and+ben+sledding+2-16-15.jpg

21 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

well I doubt they've given an official answer but it's clear they moved so that Lauren and Siah could be closer together.  it's clear the Swanson parents want to be best buddy's with the Duggar's

"Officially", they moved to AR to be 'closer to friends and family'.  But the Swansons grew up in GA, went to school in GA, their families still live there, and Dwain has two supposedly successful businesses there.  So in this case, 'friends and family' = 'Duggars'.  

Just watched the show tonight.   Josiah seems like a robot whenever her talks about Lauren, there is no excitement, sincerity  or joy, she’s just the next step.

I feel bad for her. 

On 8/9/2018 at 11:46 PM, SamiKatz said:

The first time I flew to Hawaii, and I had my first glimpse of Oahu out the window of the airplane, I was awestruck.  Hawaii is still one of my favourite places on earth, I love it there.

This was me flying in over New Zealand. Even though I’ve been lucky enough to visit there several times it is always the first place I think about when I think about where I want to travel (or live).

Places that definitly lived up to my (pretty high) expectations:

1. Angkor Wat in Cambodia. Such an amazing place. We spent two full days there exploring temples and I loved every minute of it. 

2. Rome. I’ve been twice and it was just as good the second time. I took latin in high school and standing there in the middle of where it all happened never stops being amazing to me. Also there is gelato. Mmmm. 

3. The Swiss alps. So gorgeous. Since we came home we have both planned when we’ll go back next time and spent way to much time looking at houses for sale in Interlaken. 

Places that was way better then I expected:

1. Poland. I had an image of Poland as being poor and grey and not very interesting (probably triggered by some world war II movie). But it’s a great country. I have been four times now and visited Gdynia, Gdansk, Krakow and Warsaw and they have all been lovely, interesting cities with tons to see.

2. Canberra. I had very low expectations and everyone questioned why we were going there at all but I really liked it. Actually liked it more then Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney. It was very friendly and even though all of the (excellent) museums were free (as was the parking) it wasn’t crowded anywhere. 

3. Travelling through central Australia. I had pretty high expectations for this and it was still way better then I thought it would be. So much to see. Such a good trip. 

Now I want to go travelling again. So little time, so many places to go. So much work to do. 

On 8/15/2018 at 3:47 PM, lizzybee said:

You're either humping in the bathroom between the appetizer and the main course at Marketplace or you're courting with the intent to marry. Goodness, Si, there's a lot more variety in life and relationships than that.  

One of my friends who is very religious and don’t belive in sex before marriage (believes in dating though) got a lot of crap from people at her church for spending the night at her boyfriends house before they were married. But he didn’t live in the same city and they wanted to spend time together and really get to know eachother, as you should before agreeing to spend the rest of your lives together.

They resisted temptation because they both had the same view of what they wanted in their relationship with eachother and with god. The Duggar courting model just tells me they don’t trust their kids at all, not even when it comes to their core belives. I find that very strange. 

10 hours ago, Iamtheway said:

They resisted temptation because they both had the same view of what they wanted in their relationship with eachother and with god. The Duggar courting model just tells me they don’t trust their kids at all, not even when it comes to their core belives. I find that very strange. 

True. Friends of mine have gone on holiday together - alone - and stayed in separate rooms because of their beliefs. But they're adults who made these choices for themselves. There was no need for anyone to constantly hover over them to ensure they "followed the rules".

On 8/16/2018 at 8:27 PM, Jannah said:

Travelwise I went to boarding school in Wales and just loved how green the country was. 

Did you go to AC? 

The Swansons seem deeply into love languages. Maybe it just comes up a lot around an engagement. I think it’s an interesting concept and sometimes useful. At least it’s a secular book. 

A friend who’s wedding I was in lived with her fiancé before marriage and they never had sex.  He had then told her they had to have unprotected sex and she had to be off bc on their wedding night (Catholic) or the marriage wasn’t consummated. 

Guess who spent half the night consoling a drunk bride in the bathroom, terrified of getting pregnant on her wedding night.  

I don't really understand the love languages thing, because I like giving and receiving all of them. Even if I had to choose, I wouldn't have one, I'd have a top three. It's a great idea though, and probably a wonderful way to get couples to communicate better. Hell, I might try it out in my life.

But with fundies, I feel the focus is misplaced. It feels like just another step to make sure the two "fit" together, to help ensure they'll be happy together- but even if Josiah knows Lauren's love language, that doesn't guarantee love. It's like a band-aid on courtship, trying to replace the knowledge one would naturally discover over the course of a long-term adult relationship. They're trying, but I don't think it's enough.

4 hours ago, bal maiden said:

Did you go to AC? 

My hubby went to boarding school in Wales too... 

This may be off topic, but did it skeeve anyone else out at Lauren and Josiah's wedding when she had a first look with... Her dad??
She just had so much more emotion for him than for Josiah.

I’m not going to lie... when my dad sees me at my wedding he will cry.  We don’t have a patriarchal relationship or a weird relationship. (I’m also his only biological child)

6 hours ago, sleepy_doggos said:

This may be off topic, but did it skeeve anyone else out at Lauren and Josiah's wedding when she had a first look with... Her dad??
She just had so much more emotion for him than for Josiah.

Not at all. They seemed very sweet together and he seems to know her well. Close father-daughter relationships can be very healthy. I know my own husband will most definitely cry when our oldest daughter gets married and he is not a possessive or weird kind of dad. 

It seemed natural and sweet to me too.  Not like Jim Bob & Michelle who both seem so forced and 'showy' with their kids - as if they barely know them and are playing a part (which they are!).

My husband is a retired naval officer and very comfortable in a public or public speaking role.  He commissioned one of his nephews when the nephew joined the air force and, just this month, he got ordained online so he could officiate at the wedding of a niece.  Did brilliantly at both and actually enjoyed doing the wedding enough that he told me he'd be happy to do it again if family or friends asked him to.  But when I said he maybe could officiate at our children's weddings, he said he wasn't sure he could -- he is afraid he'd be far too emotional and probably crying.  Same with commissioning our son, who is in nursing school now and planning to go back in the navy (he spent 10 years in an enlisted person) as an officer once he graduates.  And he is not a weird or overly possessive father, just loving and a bit sentimental.

To me it almost seemed like Josiah was holding his breath, hoping that he didn't guess Lauren's love language incorrectly.

The first look with her father seemed a bit off for me as well. I kind of understand why they did it...if they knew he would be emotional it made sense for him to get at least some of the emotion out before starting the ceremony. However, it seems creepy to me because we know how these women (children!) view their fathers. Their Daddy is their everything. And it’s for damn sure she knows her father better than her fiancée. 

I don’t know. I’m not being very specific because I can’t exactly put my finger on why it’s creepy to me, it just is. 

3 minutes ago, curlykate said:

However, it seems creepy to me because we know how these women (children!) view their fathers. Their Daddy is their everything

My daddy was my everything, my champion, my protector, the first man who thought I walked on water. I was his baby girl, his "bandita" (don't ask, a nickname). The day before he died, I sat across his lap with my butt on the arm of the chair he was sitting in and my feet on the other arm, put my arms around his neck and laid my head on his shoulder. He got the same stupid shit eating grin on his face that he'd gotten for 34 years, from the moment I was born. He's been gone for 20 years and you don't know how much I wish I could go running back to my daddy to make everything in my life right again. 

It's not creepy...

I guess I didn’t come across clearly (no surprise there when I’m not even sure what I’m trying to say). It’s not the Daddy is their everything part that is creepy to me. It’s more like the way that they have their fathers filling in parts/places where it’s traditionally been the spouse/fiancée roll. 

Haven't they done a daddy dress reveal in almost every wedding they've aired? I don't remember one with Josh and Anna's wedding but I remember one for Jill, Jessa, Jinger, and Kendra for sure. I exclude Joy because I'm not positive with that one. 

I think it’s creepy in the same way their father daughter dances are. It’s usually just a sweet way for daughters to spend time with their fathers but add in their purity beliefs and it becomes creepy. Like that last scene in the movie “Fireproof”. It started with a nice dinner between a father and his daughter and ended really creepy with the dad being obsessed with his daughter’s sex life. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived