IGNORED

John David and Abbie Grace Engaged 2: Planes, petals, and proposals

Georgiana

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm fascinated to know if they've been allowed to spend any time together, just the two of them, and I know this will be an unpopular opinion, but if they've never had a private conversation, even, how can they really be in love?  They can be infatuated, for sure, but they won't even know each other properly, if they've only ever had public conversations with people watching them and keeping them accountable!  I don't know how any of the Duggars who follow the family's publicly-stated rules can even know what the other person's expectations of married life/family size, or deeply held beliefs are, let alone what their real personality is.

19 hours ago, Lurky said:

I'm fascinated to know if they've been allowed to spend any time together, just the two of them, and I know this will be an unpopular opinion, but if they've never had a private conversation, even, how can they really be in love?  They can be infatuated, for sure, but they won't even know each other properly, if they've only ever had public conversations with people watching them and keeping them accountable!  I don't know how any of the Duggars who follow the family's publicly-stated rules can even know what the other person's expectations of married life/family size, or deeply held beliefs are, let alone what their real personality is.

I’ve mentioned this before, but the Duggars have publicly stated they allow private conversations. Benessa were allowed private phone calls after they began courting. I think the Dills were allowed something similar. I’m pretty sure this was mentioned in “Growing Up Duggar” after the book was rereleased following Jill and Jessa’s courtships. 

Also during the sisters camping episode we saw Jinger step out of the camper to have a private conversation with Jeremy. Joy rolled her eyes and indicated that Jinger was always disappearing to talk with him. I think they have more private conversations than people think.

I really hope they do have private conversations, but I hope they're allowed to have them in real life before they get married.  I am not anti Skype/phone/internet relationships, but there's still a difference between talking on the phone and in real life, just because of the facial expressions and body language. 

I just really hope they are able to really get to know each other, because there's so much cultural pressure for them not to ever divorce.  I know Fundies *do* divorce, but the whole public Courtship system makes me worry for all of them that there's tons more pressure to find each other perfect, before they even know each other.

Oddly sometimes phone conversations are really good for hard topics, because you have a bit of space.  It might help if they are talking about those important things that are awkward (kids, home schooling, values and how to raise your family).  I don't know if they would feel safe talking about these things on a deep level anyway though, or if they have really thought about it living in a world where these aren't really choices.

20 hours ago, FundieCentral said:

:D That‘s a tiiiiiiight side hug right there. 

Both of y'all need to keep both hands where I can see them!

38 minutes ago, justoneoftwo said:

Oddly sometimes phone conversations are really good for hard topics, because you have a bit of space.  It might help if they are talking about those important things that are awkward (kids, home schooling, values and how to raise your family).  I don't know if they would feel safe talking about these things on a deep level anyway though, or if they have really thought about it living in a world where these aren't really choices.

Yes. I will vouch for this. I hope the daughters had some privacy.

54 minutes ago, Lurky said:

I really hope they do have private conversations, but I hope they're allowed to have them in real life before they get married.  I am not anti Skype/phone/internet relationships, but there's still a difference between talking on the phone and in real life, just because of the facial expressions and body language. 

I just really hope they are able to really get to know each other, because there's so much cultural pressure for them not to ever divorce.  I know Fundies *do* divorce, but the whole public Courtship system makes me worry for all of them that there's tons more pressure to find each other perfect, before they even know each other.

If they do allow in person private conversations then it’d likely be similar to how the Bates do it. Kelly and Gil were shown walking a certain distance behind Michael and Brandon at a park once during their courtship. Kelly explained they always keep the couple in eyesight, but allow them to walk far enough ahead to have a private conversation because it’s important that couples have some sort of time to talk privately. 

Talking privately via phone and Skype or email is definitely way better than no private conversations at all. 

Plus I think most people would want to rip their ears off if they had to constantly listen to a couple like Jinger and Jeremy and all their “babes.” Even if they are in earshot, I imagine I would tune them out. 

I think I remember some episode talking about courtship (I know that doesn't narrow it down) where they said the chaperone would give the courting couple some space to allow for some privacy. The chaperone would be in eyesight.

Well, of course the couple needs to be in eye sight. Who knows what could happen if they were alone in a restaurant or miniature golf course. Yeah. Forget the last one.

Oh we’re going to be so bummed when these two do something hateful. 

Well yes. They will either be Loud and proud hateful or more likely like Ben and Jessa and hide it.  Seen it all before with these people... they are both ATI born and Bret 

I remember an episode where Ben and Jessa intentionally let JinJer get way ahead of them when they were kayaking at Jeremy's parents house I think. They let them get ahead to have a private conversation but stay in eyesight

On 7/15/2018 at 8:31 PM, ihaveanexamintwodays said:

they're totally getting engaged soooooo soon haha

I figure if Jinger delivers this week or early next then John and Abbie will be engaged by the 30th so they have something new to announce before the show. 

On 7/15/2018 at 7:31 PM, ihaveanexamintwodays said:

they're totally getting engaged soooooo soon haha

I think they'll get engaged this weekend at the Stratford, OK Peach Festival. Just a hunch.

1 hour ago, obiwanfreak said:

I think they'll get engaged this weekend at the Stratford, OK Peach Festival. Just a hunch.

She'll be scooping up the family's homemade ice cream and discover a ring in it.

20 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

Oh we’re going to be so bummed when these two do something hateful. 

No no no! They're going to get married and move to California, and take Jana with them. They are going to leave fundie-dom and start marching in Pride parades and donating to Planned Parenthood. They're going to use birth control and send their kids to public school. Abbie will continue working even after they have kids so she can be a strong female role model to them. John David is going to continue flying and have a successful charter flight business. Then he'll will write a tell-all.

(And as long as I'm dreaming, Bro Gary and D-Rod get full time jobs and start taking care of their families.)

Screen grab from the SiRen wedding episode:

Spoiler

Screen Shot 2018-07-18 at 6.35.01 PM.png

People mentioned Jabbie looking more comfortable/happy than the newlyweds, so I got curious. They do come off as a more conservative Christian couple than fundie, although... Reminder: John David's suggestion if Jubilee was a boy was Jefferson Davis, so... JD still sucks, he just has a work ethic.

Edit: Thought I put the pic in the spoiler. Couldn't figure out how. Powers that be do your magic if you will! Please and thanks.

4 minutes ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

Screen grab from the SiRen wedding episode:

Screen Shot 2018-07-18 at 6.35.01 PM.png

People mentioned Jabbie looking more comfortable/happy than the newlyweds, so I got curious. They do come off as a more conservative Christian couple than fundie, although... Reminder: John David's suggestion if Jubilee was a boy was Jefferson Davis, so... JD still sucks, he just has a work ethic.

Edit: Thought I put the pic in the spoiler. Couldn't figure out how. Powers that be do your magic if you will! Please and thanks.

this grab wasn't that bad but there was one screen grab of her you can find in the Si and Lauren thread. I believe the one that was just locked. where she looks terrifying with the look she's giving. 

:laughing-rollingyellow:

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived