IGNORED

Bro Gary Hawkins 7: Asking For Thoughts and Chairs

Georgiana

11 hours ago, Alisamer said:

Definitely regional, and probably some class stuff in there too - I grew up on a farm. 

Not only had my dad always said “mater sandwich”, his fave Disney character is Mater from Cars. My dad’s mater sandwich is dukes mayo, thick slices of (usually home grown) tomatoes, and lots of pepper. 

And usually white bread!

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/5/2018 at 11:14 PM, Alisamer said:

Definitely regional, and probably some class stuff in there too - I grew up on a farm. 

Not only had my dad always said “mater sandwich”, his fave Disney character is Mater from Cars. My dad’s mater sandwich is dukes mayo, thick slices of (usually home grown) tomatoes, and lots of pepper. 

My mother in law would have called that a termater sammich although she would have used Helman's instead of Duke's mayo.  Upstate New York.

And I think they are delicious.

23 hours ago, Lisafer said:

I love biscuits and sausage gravy also! But even when I look at pictures from recipes on the internet, there's no way to make it look appetizing, is there? Bro Gary's food pics make me want to hork. 

A side of healthy colorful veggies and a sprinkling of parsley?  But that would probably make Bro Gary want to hork. :D

@mango_fandango, most Americans would hork at the sight, let alone the description, of British Fish Pie.  Not even Jamie Oliver can make that look appetising.  

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fish-recipes/fish-pie/

My husband likes it though.  I occasionally make a "healthy" version with low fat milk and add a layer of fresh spinach under the potato for a little color.

I’m not a fish or tomato fan :pb_lol: Actually I do like fish and chips. And I don’t mind ketchup/tomato sauce for pasta etc, it’s just the raw maters. 

1) I love biscuits and gravy, but th' di-uh-bee-tus says no. (No, I didn't eat it every day; that was a maybe once-every-few-months treat; I love biscuits and bread in general; not being able to have them are the worst part of being diabetic.)

2) True story: I was made fun of when I started kindergarten (in the middle of the year, no less) because I said "mater" for tomato and "nanner" for banana. Ah, the joys of growing up poor "white trash" in the South, with a mom who didn't give a shit. (Yes, I was really called that throughout my childhood.)

All this talk about maters gave me a hankerin' for a BLT. And we finally have beautiful ripe summer tomatoes so I made one last night. I used soy bacon and sourdough bread and it was delicious! I would have taken a pic but I ate it too fast, LOL.

We just got back from a 6 day camping trip and looks like I'll need to be asking for a new camp chair pretty soon. I've had mine for years and I love it because it has two cupholders, one for water and one for an adult beverage, hehe. But it pretty much won't survive another camping trip.

@PumaLover - my neighbor left a perfectly GOOD computer chair at the end of the driveway with a free sign.  I know it's not the same thing, but I could grab it for you.  :56247976a36a8_Gigglespatgiggle:

Mater sammiches are awesome.  I like mine on toasted bread, light on the real mayo, prefer spinach over lettuce.  Add avocado if I've got one in the fridge.  I might need second supper tonight.

All this talk of tomato sandwiches made me rush to the kitchen for a healthy-ish supper snack.

Yum, tomatoes! Mr. Math is a whiz at gardening, and I just picked our first tomatoes of the season for dinner last night. Sweet, delicious cherry tomatoes. Such a treat to have some this early.
Sis MQ (who loves red tomatoes, but not red weens)

16 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

My mother in law would have called that a termater sammich although she would have used Helman's instead of Duke's mayo.  Upstate New York.

And I think they are delicious.

A side of healthy colorful veggies and a sprinkling of parsley?  But that would probably make Bro Gary want to hork. :D

@mango_fandango, most Americans would hork at the sight, let alone the description, of British Fish Pie.  Not even Jamie Oliver can make that look appetising.  

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fish-recipes/fish-pie/

My husband likes it though.  I occasionally make a "healthy" version with low fat milk and add a layer of fresh spinach under the potato for a little color.

I am hopeless---give me a simple grinder roll and Hellman's.  A warm, ripe termater right off the vine would make it spectacular.

I'm slightly bummed that we're about to leave for a camping trip and I don't know if I'll get cell reception.  Plenty of power banks to keep my phone charged!  How can I like without Bro Gary updates now?  I can't even with the Rods, the Naugs are getting boring, but Gary makes me laugh.

Sausage gravy looks appetizing when there's black pepper on top.  Without it, it looks like chunky glue.

Mmmm, maters.  Maters and taters.  Never got into wilted salad, but some good ol' crawfish boils.  I don't think we'd do that with the ones we could catch in the creeks anymore.  Safe when I was a kid, but now, I don't trust it.

My favorite mater sammich is Best Foods/Hellmans (why do names change depending on which side of the Missisip? Carl's Jr/Hardeed, Dreyers/Edies, and so on), a bit of yellow mustard, maters, salt, and it has to be on white bread.  Only way I'll eat white bread.  Okay, that's a lie.  I will also eat it with mayo and mustard.  That's a sandwich I love the fuck out of, and I don't know why.

Mmmm, warm tomato off the vine.  Bet when eaten while standing at the vine right after picking it.

I'm also getting my first tomatoes from the garden this week!  I used a couple for salsa the other night.  I've got one more, perfect for a BLT, but we are out of bread.  We do have tortillas though, or biscuits in a tube.  And bacon, and an avocado, and lettuce out in the garden.  So something's gonna have to happen.

I think Bro Gary's kids going off one by one is probably for the best.  If you wanna live in a church basement while waiting on lords WILL to bring you a veehickle, you do you, but that's no way to raise kids.  In a way, the kids are fortunate that they have other parents they can go live with, who hopefully provide them a less biased world view, and adequate food and education.  Not that anyone can really be lucky to have Bro Gary as a parent... But I'm glad the kids aren't stuck in that 100%.  

They started out with 6 children between them but only 4 traveling with them, IIRC.  So now they are down to two with them.

Again from memory, two were in foster care and one was being fostered with a relative, so I hope the latest one to escape Bro. Gary and Sis. Becky has found safe haven.  

♫♬

Where have all the children gone?
Long time passing
Where have all the children gone?
Long time ago
Where have all the children gone?
Gone to foster care, every one
When will Gary ever learn?

Where has all the money gone?
Long time passing
Where has all the money gone?
Long time ago
Where has all the money gone?
Gone to support them, every one

Why have all the children gone?
Long time passing
Long time ago
Gone for good reasons, every one

♫♬

(Sorry Pete Seeger)

The bios are a tiny bit more detailed... except it says little about them, just how they got saved :pb_rollseyes:

Love the song parody, @Palimpsest! Before I saw it, my brain went to:

There were 8 in the bed, when Bro. Gary said, "Roll over, roll over."

So they all rolled over and one fell off.

Etc, etc, etc. :pb_lol:

OK folks, they all book up for January. So I guess this means they won't be taking this winter off? :evil-laugh:

BroGary_book.png

Here is how the kids break down:

Becky and her (gay! married to a man!) ex husband have 4 kids.  Bro and his ex wife have 3.  At one point I believe Becky and Bro had all the kids.  Then Becky's ex husband got custody of her youngest 2 (a boy and a girl).  Her oldest 2, maybe because of their age, stayed with Becky and Bro in the old RV.  I am assuming they were given a choice in who to live with otherwise I don't know why they wouldn't have been with their dad.  A few years ago Becky's oldest daughter escaped to live with her dad and completely transformed into a short haired, pants wearing heathen.  A few months ago her other daughter went to go live with  her father.  So now all Becky's meal tickets live with their dad.  (I could be remembering wrong and maybe Becky's oldest was the first to flee and then her ex got custody of the younger 2) I just looked up the 2nd oldest girl and she has a boyfriend!  Good for her!

I don't really know what the story is with Gary's ex.  I found her and her mother on facebook but it appears that she doesn't have much contact with the kids.  She is remarried and has a young son.  She is facebook friend's with Gary's daughter so that is good at least.  Gary's daughter (I think she is at least 18 though she looks much younger) was the last one to leave the traveling dumpster fire.  I believe she is living with Gary's parents.  I have faith that she has a permanent bed to sleep in and regular meals but Gary is a product of those 2 so I can't imagine that her world has gotten much wider.  I think that Gary might collect child support for his 2 boys but I am not entirely sure.  I don't know what involved mom would feel that he is a better choice to raise her kids so that is all such a mystery. 

Edit - fixed timeline

23 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

Love the song parody, @Palimpsest! Before I saw it, my brain went to:

There were 8 in the bed, when Bro. Gary said, "Roll over, roll over."

So they all rolled over and one fell off.

Etc, etc, etc. :pb_lol:

One of my grandbaby's favorite songs!! (Not the Bro Gary version, anyway!!)

Ok folks:

Bro Gary is preachin' at a tent meetin' in Ohioooo-haaaaaayman. The best part is he calls it a "Great line up of Preachers" but Becky later clarifies on the church facebook page that it's 2 preachers. So two preachers, one of them Bro Gary, constitutes a "Great line up"...at least in Bro Gary's mind.

Spoiler

60966697_ScreenShot2018-07-10at8_34_23PM.png.26afa0536f1a8e616a58a1762ee10ddc.png

OMG, y'all...  Cold Hotdog Pie.  Seriously.  

Please watch, less than one minute.  Only Bro Gary aficionados will understand my feels, and I need to share this with someone.

YMMM!

I’m so sorry, @Spanger.  While the finished product looks cute, the hot dog purée is (to me anyway) utterly revolting.:puke-front:

• VaSportsMom locked this topic

Archived