IGNORED

Mr & Mrs Jill Duggar 59: Still Dull in Dillsville

Jellybean

I don't think being critical of this particular duggar goop-food is a byproduct of privilege, it's just an indication of individual food preferences and history - most of the things I really love or hate eating relate in some way to good or bad childhood experiences that I associate with certain foods or types of foods.

My family were never rich, but after my dad lost his job then left the family, we had very little. Long story short, for quite a while, the only food my mom and I had were vegetables I stole from neighbors gardens to try to feed me and my massively depressed mother (to this day I have a hard time eating carrots, potatoes, green peas, and leaf lettuce - mostly because these foods take me back to a time and place when I was living in a state of near constant terror and felt completely powerless).

Canned meat is not particularly cheap (at least here), so something made from it doesn't strike me as poverty food by a long shot - it would have been a luxury food item to me in the bad old days, especially with mayonnaise - and even now I wouldn't turn my nose up at a well seasoned and interesting chicken salad sandwich made from canned chicken, but I can't pretend that Jill's chicken salad is anything other than vaguely repulsive and slimy looking. To Jill though, the bland goop factor may be a positive - a lot of her recipes seem to fit these criteria, so I think those are textures and flavours that speak to her or remind her of things/times that have good associations for her. 

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My weird indulgence as a child? An Eggo (waffle) sandwich with peanut butter and maple syrup doused with cinnamon sugar.

WTF was I thinking and where were my parents?

I love peanut butter on pancakes so peanut on waffles sounds genuinely delicious to me! Ketchup, mustard, mayo, etc. Sandwiches, those I will take a pass on. 

When I was a kid I would eat mayo sandwiches. Just white bread with mayo soaked in. 

I am ashamed, I am sorry, and I don’t know why I did it :nowai:

I grew up very poor in a large family of 10 with an alcoholic father. It annoys me that people think poverty equals a crap diet, I never once ate canned chicken or any canned meat other than tuna or salmon, chicken was always an affordable meat. One chicken will make a very large casserole. And a boiler chicken makes good soup. And the cheap cuts of meat for stews. Our vegetable were fresh, just the staples nothing fancy.  Luxury food to me was ice cream, lollies and soft drinks and eating out. 

YOu can shop at Whole Foods for some things, without it being your entire shopping experience, I go there for certain things and even on our decent income, I can't afford to feed my family there 100%. But odds and ends, yes. 

Anyone have a chip butty? French fry sandwich with vinegar on the chips (fries).

2 hours ago, FluffySnowball said:

What I find so interesting and eye-opening is the diversity here at FJ! I do think that yes, some of us here were lucky not to grow up in poverty - I’m thankful I haven’t had to make this experience as I imagine it to be very stressful on families. Food insecurities are tough cause being well- or at least adequately nourished is one of our basic needs as living, breathing, feeling beings. 

While I enjoy organic food myself (and once again know I’m privileged to be able to have access to it) I think one can live healthily on non-organic food as well. It all depends on the choices. Non-organic bananas are much better than organic potatoes chips, for example. That aside, I believe it’s the parents’ responsibility to provide their children with as good a diet as they possibly can. So yes, serving them (preferably fresh) fruits and vegetables and meat without tons of antibiotics in it is nothing to make fun of. 

This!  I have always noticed the diversity in many different ways on this site and most posters generally are not hesitant to show that diversity. I wish the acceptance would go a bit further to cover political or religious beliefs. I don't agree with many statements here but would rather let it go. We do not all have to agree with each other or there would really be no need for this forum. 

2 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Anyone have a chip butty? French fry sandwich with vinegar on the chips (fries).

eeesh. Yeah, we used to have them after swimming in 90s rural England. A good soft white bap with a thick spreading of margarine, and the chips should be fat and very hot. This was before carbs were the enemy. No vinegar on mine though.

Personally I've always preferred a good bacon and egg butty. 

My childhood weird food: pb&c. Slather two pieces of white bread with peanut butter, add a couple slices of american cheese, slap it together, and eat it while all your friends look at you funny. It's got a nice salty/sweet thing going on, actually. I should try it again.

As for the chicken salad... maybe I am privileged (I am, wasn't rich but always had enough food/roof over my head). But that chicken salad does look pretty gross. I've had canned chicken, and I just don't like the texture. And I'm a flavor fiend, I generally add 2-3 times the garlic the recipe calls for, and I can't keep my hands off of paprika or cayenne pepper. And my chicken salad, while mayo-based, generally includes celery, dried cranberries, apples, and almonds. Also, she has an instagram and a smartphone, can't she edit the photo or add some sort of filter to make it look less horrible? Or just use a better angle, or put the plate in natural light? That doesn't cost a thing, and it'd look a million times more appetizing. That's kinda BEC though. I'm always just wicked anal when I post food pics to social media.

17 hours ago, Seculardaisy said:

This is honestly the least appetizing dish I’ve ever seen on instagram. It looks like cat vomit. :5624796c9c279_dead(2):

999DCB52-E5EF-4E66-83F9-94271DE0D71A.jpeg

This makes me think of "Aw hell naw Karen. Keep your bland ass potato salad to yourself."   :my_biggrin:

When we were kids my friend and I would go to the beach and eat ice cream cones rolled in smashed potato chips (crisps). So good!

i will bet Izzy and Sam grow up with a constant football of fear in their gut because of those two. Jesus terrorists.  I hope they can be good friends and make fun memories in spite of what the parents are.  I saw a bumper sticker years ago.

"be kind to your children, they grow up and remember"

fuck you Jill and asshat!

That chicken salad looks awful.  

31 minutes ago, MargaretElliott said:

My childhood weird food: pb&c. Slather two pieces of white bread with peanut butter, add a couple slices of american cheese, slap it together, and eat it while all your friends look at you funny. It's got a nice salty/sweet thing going on, actually. I should try it again.

Yes! Yes! Yes!! Me too!!! I haven't had it in a few years but yes! It's really good!!! You are the only other person I've heard of in my life that ate that!!!

Okay, I just took a closer look at her broccoli cheese soup recipe. Wow. Frozen broccoli is the only vegetable involved. Period. Once again, she's eating on disposable plates with a plastic spoon (why won't they use real plates and silverware?! Our environment can't handle all these Duggarlings using that much plastic every damn day!).

But my question to you all is this: was that picture taken in a car? One side looks like her skirt, and the other side looks like a bunch of car buttons and knobs. Am I seeing things correctly? If so, why? Why, Jill? What goes through her mind?

I am not well off, but frozen veg is pretty cheap around here. You can get the basics 10 for $10, in steam-able bag. It would be super easy to throw some peas or green beans in any can of whatever casserole.

I don't pay too close attention to her Instagram, but maybe they are eating their veg on the side and we just don't see it in those recipes. One thing is certain though, taste preferences are set in early childhood. For many, it's very difficult to develop  a taste for veg as an adult. 

I don't give Jill credit for much, but she has managed to distract us from OfJill's antics for a little while.

Entirely besides the point, but I thought of it, and now I can’t stop laughing about it. You know what Derick’s Law Firm will be called?

- Duggar-In-Law :D 

(Sorry if all of you find that incredibly not-funny, I have an extremely odd sense of humour.) 

36 minutes ago, apandaaries said:

But my question to you all: was that picture taken in a car? One side looks like her skirt, and the other side looks like a bunch of car buttons and knobs. Am I seeing things correctly? If so, why? Why, Jill? What goes through her mind?

I do believe you're right. WHY for the love of FUCK would you eat SOUP from a styrofoam bowl in the CAR ??? 

2 hours ago, Georgiana said:

I feel like if you didn’t grow up eating a certain something out of a can, it’s hard to stomach it as an adult. I’m ok with canned, shredded chicken and tuna, but salmon in a can feels like an abomination to me. There’s no logical reason why it should, except that I’m from the PNW so salmon was never presented to me as a “canned food”. I love Spam because it’s “supposed” to be canned, but canned veggies are no thanks (except for creamed corn and olives). All canned fruit is fine, as are canned beans. In fact, I prefer my beans canned.

Basically, my operating metric is just whether or not I expect it from a can, which comes down to whether or not I was served it growing up. There’s just something about the texture of many canned things and the metallic taste that I accepted as a kid, but can’t wrap my head around as an adult.

Yep...the only canned meat I ever ate as a child was tuna. I get a little gaggy just reading about all this other "canned" meat. And again, yes, to the texture and metallic taste, of course it's only in my head, but double gag.

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

salt and vinegar chips i miss them.   As a child my mom and I would get a bowl of rice and pour soya sauce on it once a week. 

3 hours ago, EmmieJ said:

I share, without embarrassment or shame, that I sometimes buy a can of Underwood's chicken spread.  I might make a sandwich with it, or I might just eat it right out of the can by the spoonful.  

I have never heard of this chicken spread, so I googled it. I would love to see this particular product in any Duggar home because guess who’s on the cover...

87D2B776-4633-4FF8-AEBE-BC7DFB537267.jpeg

Hi Satan!

46 minutes ago, justmissedquiver said:

I don't pay too close attention to her Instagram, but maybe they are eating their veg on the side and we just don't see it in those recipes.

I hope so. Yeah, her kids aren’t starving (unlike how JRod’s kids appear to be) but are they getting any nutrition? Are they vitamin deficient? Yeah Jill didn’t grow up with nutritious food because the focus was on feeding the masses, but she has the resources to learn. So many people don’t feed their kids fruits and veggies because they don’t have the resources to learn how to cook with them, to learn about the importance of a balanced diet, or the time. Jill has all of that. But to use JRod’s word, her recipes SEVERELY lack nutrition.

No one is saying the food needs to be organic or pricey, but she has the resources to feed her kid a balanced diet but seems like she chooses not to.

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived