IGNORED

Mr & Mrs Jill Duggar 59: Still Dull in Dillsville

Jellybean

2 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

I hope so. Yeah, her kids aren’t starving (unlike how JRod’s kids appear to be) but are they getting any nutrition? Are they vitamin deficient? Yeah Jill didn’t grow up with nutritious food because the focus was on feeding the masses, but she has the resources to learn. So many people don’t feed their kids fruits and veggies because they don’t have the resources to learn how to cook with them, to learn about the importance of a balanced diet, or the time. Jill has all of that. But to use JRod’s word, her recipes SEVERELY lack nutrition.

No one is saying the food needs to be organic or pricey, but she has the resources to feed her kid a balanced diet but seems like she chooses not to.

I think this is d/t knowledge deficits more than an active choice. Same thing with the pregnancies,lack of nutritional knowledge-

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re:  chip butties - DH loves them.

Me? I prefer a bacon butty.

edit:  I told DH about the thread drift and now he wants a chip butty. Yay. (We have no bread in the house though, so...)

2 hours ago, Godly grifting said:

I grew up very poor in a large family of 10 with an alcoholic father. It annoys me that people think poverty equals a crap diet, I never once ate canned chicken or any canned meat other than tuna or salmon, chicken was always an affordable meat. One chicken will make a very large casserole. And a boiler chicken makes good soup. And the cheap cuts of meat for stews. Our vegetable were fresh, just the staples nothing fancy.  Luxury food to me was ice cream, lollies and soft drinks and eating out. 

Sounds about like us. I grew up on Fried chicken, shake n Bake chicken, Chicken and Rice casserole, BBQ chicken. Usually with mash  potatoes but occasionally rice and corn, green beans, ETC.Roast on Sunday. I got popsicles on very rare occasions. Drank koolaid never soda. 

We sure as hell never went out to eat.The first time I can remember order Pizza was when someone from our church brought one for us.  I thought I had died and gone to heaven with that Charity Dominos:)

52 minutes ago, ShesCrafty said:

I have never heard of this chicken spread, so I googled it. I would love to see this particular product in any Duggar home because guess who’s on the cover...

87D2B776-4633-4FF8-AEBE-BC7DFB537267.jpeg

Hi Satan!

No wonder I like it!  Satan got me early.:evil-laugh:

I grew up eating tuna fish out of a can and it was pretty good... but then my grandma made Mac and Tuna for dinner one night when I was in college* and I got violently sick the next day. I have no clue whether it was the food or if I came down with a really bad stomach bug, but I haven’t touched canned tuna since that happened about a decade ago and the thought of any canned meat makes me a little queasy now.

But that whole canned chicken is another level of disgusting... that thing is a fucking abomination. :pb_lol:

*They lived pretty close to my college, so I stayed with them when I had to work on campus during school breaks.

3 hours ago, front hugs > duggs said:

My weird indulgence as a child? An Eggo (waffle) sandwich with peanut butter and maple syrup doused with cinnamon sugar.

WTF was I thinking and where were my parents?

I love it! You were like a baby Elf.

Spoiler

2E1FDF66-0E5F-42E1-8295-6263AB92DD4F.thumb.jpeg.edc6bb74cf8e2717b2b51daec566ca8e.jpeg

3 hours ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

I love peanut butter on pancakes so peanut on waffles sounds genuinely delicious to me! Ketchup, mustard, mayo, etc. Sandwiches, those I will take a pass on. 

You should try baking peanut butter chips into your pancakes. It is a true delight.

1 hour ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I do believe you're right. WHY for the love of FUCK would you eat SOUP from a styrofoam bowl in the CAR ??? 

I'm sorry guys, I can't resist...

Where I grew up canned chicken didn't exist. However, I grew up on canned tuna, salmon and sardines, I still love it. I learned about canned chicken when I lived in the U.K.... Sorry but it's really gross.

I feel bad for Jill, she gets slammed for everything and she's just doing the meals she grew up with. (But seriously Jill, buy fresh meats and veggies).

I make chicken salad with fresh chicken, carrots, celery, potatoes... And the dressing with greek yogurt, mustard, garlic and parsley.. It's pretty good to me and healthier.

I grew up on canned salmon (salmon patties - my mom made them), so I bought a can of salmon when I lived in Germany. I *attempted* to make salmon patties and ended up throwing the whole meal away. I.Just.Couldn't.

As for canned chicken, there's one recipe I make that calls for it, and it's awesome - buffalo chicken dip. Just give me a damn spoon and I'll eat it all.

5 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

@ViolaSebastian Exactly what I was thinking of too! :pb_lol:

I love peanut butter and cheddar sandwiches. I don't think it's that weird!

Eating broccoli and cheese soup in a CAR is DONKEY BRAINS!!! Haha, I'm glad at least one person got it. That's my favorite episode. :laughing-rollingyellow:

40 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

I grew up eating tuna fish out of a can and it was pretty good... but then my grandma made Mac and Tuna for dinner one night when I was in college* and I got violently sick the next day. I have no clue whether it was the food or if I came down with a really bad stomach bug, but I haven’t touched canned tuna since that happened about a decade ago and the thought of any canned meat makes me a little queasy now.

But that whole canned chicken is another level of disgusting... that thing is a fucking abomination. :pb_lol:

*They lived pretty close to my college, so I stayed with them when I had to work on campus during school breaks.

Quick question: Did your gramma pour BBQ sauce on the tuna that night you got sick? It would explain a lot. 

5 hours ago, finnlassie said:

The thing about canned chicken is... I've never witnessed it in my entire life. I'm not even sure if you can get it in Finland. It's never come across. Canned tuna? Yes. Canned pork? Yes. Canned beef? Yes. Canned moose? Yes. Canned bear? Yes.

Okay, this warrants follow-up. What's canned bear like?

Add me to the PB&C posse. Besides the umami factor, peanut butter and cheese are an incredibly filling combination.

Her soup recipe is fucking tragic. :pb_lol: 

7 lbs. frozen broccoli

2 lbs. easy melt cheese (Velveeta or equivalent)

1 quart sweet whipping cream

enough water to cook broccoli

1 C cornstarch with cold water to thicken after other ingredients are hot.

19 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Her soup recipe is fucking tragic. :pb_lol: 

So many questions. How much water is enough water? What is considered hot? How badly does it have to burn you in what amount of time? Or maybe temperature is an easier metric. Isn’t soup supposed to include liquid? Where’s the liquid part of this recipe?

We're utterly broke until next week. So, we'll be eating a whole lot of rice and beans, quesadillas, beans and rice and if I can identify the mystery meat in the back of the freezer I might just toss that in the crock pot. 

BUT...we will eat, we will survive. I hate being a freak about food, I hate limiting myself to one meal a day so hubs has more to eat (i mean, I need to lose about 60lbs so missing meals isn't an issue). Food insecurity makes me utterly insane

1 hour ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

As for canned chicken, there's one recipe I make that calls for it, and it's awesome - buffalo chicken dip. Just give me a damn spoon and I'll eat it all.

I’ll admit I’ve never tried canned chicken, but wing dip I’ll eat all day long. Although, because I was born and raised a Buffalo native, i’m a bit of a chicken wing snob. The best recipes (for me) contain small amounts of ranch dressing (sacrilege!!!) and more Frank’s hot sauce!

On a non-related note, Chik-fil-A is breaking ground about two miles away from me in Cheektowaga. They will be very close to a Sonic (my neighborhood is behind it) and supposedly according to the latest rumors Popeyes is coming a few doors down from the Sonic. Dear Rufus, please let the fast food madness stop! 

18 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

So many questions. How much water is enough water? What is considered hot? How badly does it have to burn you in what amount of time? Or maybe temperature is an easier metric. Isn’t soup supposed to include liquid? Where’s the liquid part of this recipe?

And in what world is A CUP of cornstarch necessary? 

6 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

And in what world is A CUP of cornstarch necessary? 

To thicken it even. I imagine that "soup" is about the consistency of when I make velveeta and salsa/rotel dip for football reasons.  It's so confusing. I also think it is likely the sweet whipping cream is Coolwhip.  Mercy.

I use canned chicken breast to make chicken salad and canned salmon to make croquets. Love them. My freezer is always full of frozen vegetables because, when I buy fresh ones, they tend to go bad as I can never guarantee I will be able to make them due my schedule. Zucchini is the only fresh vegetable I always buy because it lasts so long. The amount of expired food I throw away is embarrassing. 

@InTheNameofRufus Popeyes is everything that is delicious in this world. I swear FJ makes me hungrier than watching the Food Network. 

Why doesn’t Jill get recipes off Pinterest? I have saved a few broccoli cheddar soup recipes and none of them look like Jill’s recipe. 

7 hours ago, EmmieJ said:

I share, without embarrassment or shame, that I sometimes buy a can of Underwood's chicken spread.

I had a craving for this, or potted "meat" this past week and I could not find either on the shelves....  sigh.

19 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

We're utterly broke until next week. So, we'll be eating a whole lot of rice and beans, quesadillas, beans and rice and if I can identify the mystery meat in the back of the freezer I might just toss that in the crock pot. 

BUT...we will eat, we will survive. I hate being a freak about food, I hate limiting myself to one meal a day so hubs has more to eat (i mean, I need to lose about 60lbs so missing meals isn't an issue). Food insecurity makes me utterly insane

I'm sorry you're going through that. It's a horrible place to be. Just sending you lots of positive vibes and I wanted to suggest that there may be a food bank soup kitchen or a church that could help. I have heard the Mormon (LDS) Church is very good about giving people food and supplies even if they are not members. I suspect it would depend on the area you live in for either option. I realize this is presumptuous, but mention it because when I've been in those situations I've always felt so paralyzed with anxiety and the sense that I was so worthless that I may as well starve that I've never asked for help. I hope you know that you are worthy of being cared for and that it's okay to ask for help if you feel you need it. :romance-heartbeating:

Just now, Kittikatz said:

I'm sorry you're going through that. It's a horrible place to be. Just sending you lots of positive vibes and I wanted to suggest that there may be a food bank soup kitchen or a church that could help. I have heard the Mormon (LDS) Church is very good about giving people food and supplies even if they are not members. I suspect it would depend on the area you live in for either option. I realize this is presumptuous, but mention it because when I've been in those situations I've always felt so paralyzed with anxiety and the sense that I was so worthless that I may as well starve that I've never asked for help. I hope you know that you are worthy of being cared for and that it's okay to ask for help if you feel you need it. :romance-heartbeating:

I know where the food banks are, but we'll have grocery money in 6 days. We'll get by...

I've hit food banks and stuff before so it's not strange to me. There's one in NLV that gives preference to veterans and vet families and they have pretty good stuff. BUT...what I need to buy I can't get at food banks...meat, milk, stuff like that. We just have to hang on for a few days and can hit the grocery store. I'm hoping I get the official start date for the new job by the end of the week so we can budget accordingly. 

And thank you for caring...one of many reasons I love FJ and use you guys instead of therapy. Love ALL of you. 

That recipe is revolting. That cup of cornstarch has to be mistake, right? And velveeta, no. Also, when i was growing up, we were so poor. My mom would make chicken and waffles, it was a can of cream of chicken soup poured over eggos. And for some crazy-ass reason, my mom would butter and sprinkle sugar on the waffles pre-soup. To this day cream-of-anything soup turns me off. 

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived