IGNORED

Mr & Mrs Jill Duggar 59: Still Dull in Dillsville

Jellybean

Velveeta has never crossed my threshold. 

Rice and beans FTW!  Any day.

Cream of anything can be homemade to be a better whatever it is.... but learning a basic white sauce might fix some of their recipe ills.

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, ShesCrafty said:

I have never heard of this chicken spread, so I googled it. I would love to see this particular product in any Duggar home because guess who’s on the cover...

87D2B776-4633-4FF8-AEBE-BC7DFB537267.jpeg

Hi Satan!

Reminds me slightly of potted meat. I ate plenty of potted meat in my younger years, but it grossed me out years before I tried to go vegan. I rarely ate canned meat for years now. 

I say tried to go vegan because I'm not all the way there yet.

10 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

I know where the food banks are, but we'll have grocery money in 6 days. We'll get by...

I've hit food banks and stuff before so it's not strange to me. There's one in NLV that gives preference to veterans and vet families and they have pretty good stuff. BUT...what I need to buy I can't get at food banks...meat, milk, stuff like that. We just have to hang on for a few days and can hit the grocery store. I'm hoping I get the official start date for the new job by the end of the week so we can budget accordingly. 

And thank you for caring...one of many reasons I love FJ and use you guys instead of therapy. Love ALL of you. 

I'm in the same boat, we  are screwed really, we have about $1500 worth of bills due on Saturday and only $1200 to pay it, that doesn't include gas, groceries for the week either. I need to find a job FAST, for a state that has 2.8% unemployment, I'm not seeing where the jobs are because I've sent out over 40 applications in the last 2 weeks and not heard anything from any of them.   

5 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I'm in the same boat, we  are screwed really, we have about $1500 worth of bills due on Saturday and only $1200 to pay it, that doesn't include gas, groceries for the week either. I need to find a job FAST, for a state that has 2.8% unemployment, I'm not seeing where the jobs are because I've sent out over 40 applications in the last 2 weeks and not heard anything from any of them.   

Oh honey, my heart cries for you. I know what it's like to send out resume after resume and application after application to have them all disappear into a cyberspace black hole. 

Check into the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act. They provide federal grants for workforce training and job placement. That's how hubs got his phlebotomy classes and license...they paid for everything including gas, his scrubs, and you can get help with even your rent. I didn't qualify because my skills were already on the list for training being offered, so I ended up taking advantage of a veteran's program to get my resume re-written and stuff. DM me if you want more info, I'll try to help you all I can.

Shit...this sounds like some bullshit know-it-all spewing...please understand I'm not trying to be that way, but I know what it's like to be royally fucked 28 ways from last week...

Ok...before I push my foot any further into my mouth...sending you love and a hug 

1 hour ago, HarryPotterFan said:

So many questions. How much water is enough water? What is considered hot? How badly does it have to burn you in what amount of time? Or maybe temperature is an easier metric. Isn’t soup supposed to include liquid? Where’s the liquid part of this recipe?

Hot enough to burn your tastebuds evidently, cause this is some white fundie nonsense. I don’t understand why Jill won’t season her food. And why the few base ingredients are so disgusting (especially in combination). 

If she posts one more shitty unseasoned recipe, I’m calling the police!

E4C62923-E386-467B-BCC5-0AF67B209F48.jpeg.942c1d575d6bf8d38f49e6201581982f.jpeg

@feministxtianThanks. It is what it is. DH and I have figured out over the last 21 years that we are not meant to have money, we usually have enough, and not much extra. We get scared when we get a nice comfortable savings because we know that we means something bad is going to happen, and it always does, the car breaks down, a kid breaks her arm. the fridge goes tits up stuff like that comes along and wipes that out for us.  We repel money, it is just one thing after another after another after another. We keep praying and hoping that someday we'll not be living hand to mouth and maybe we will.  I guess it is a trade off in life, my brother and sister & parents have all the money they need and then some, but they are all miserable.  I will take happy and broke over rich and miserable any day of the week. 

The reason we are so bad right now is our daughter just graduated from HS and we have big party for her, we couldn't afford it but she deserved it so we'll make due, like we always do.  I'm going to have to swallow my pride and go back to temp work most likely I hate it, it sucks all the hassles of a full time job with none of the benefits. But it does pay the bills. 

The thing that gets me is that my 20 year old son with his high school diploma vs me with my 20+ years of experience & a BS he makes more money an hour than I ever have in my entire life.  And it sucks having to ask your son for money to pay the bills because you got fired for not being friends with the boss. 

Sorry, for the whining.  pitty party table of one over here.  

1 minute ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Sorry, for the whining.  pitty party table of one over here.

Naw, it's a table of two...on top of everything else, I have another screaming headache (thank you car accident) cranking up. As we used to say when we were kids..."life's a bitch and then you die"...

hugs and love

Maybe Jill should become a missionary and OfJill should do the cooking?  I'm not suggesting this is a good idea, but I suspect it would be a massive improvement over the current BS.

5 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

Naw, it's a table of two...on top of everything else, I have another screaming headache (thank you car accident) cranking up. As we used to say when we were kids..."life's a bitch and then you die"...

hugs and love

Exactly. take all the good you can get out of because that is all that really matters. 

hope your head feels better. 

57 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

My heart goes out to you both. I know how difficult it is. 

Hugs and love to you both.:group-hug: :group-hug:

7 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

Maybe Jill should become a missionary and OfJill should do the cooking?  I'm not suggesting this is a good idea, but I suspect it would be a massive improvement over the current BS.

NOOPE.  Last time OfJill cooked a meal, we got treated to his crotch thrust into the corner of a dining table.  It's not worth it, EVEN IF he has the ability to cook without condensed soup.  

Honestly, jokes aside, I've made recipes akin to these Jill monstrosities.  The thing is, they're shameful, busy weeknight meals, the sort of thing that you shouldn't be PROUD of because they're lazy, a monkey could make them, and they have virtually no nutritional value or taste beyond salt/fat/sugar.  It really shows how incompetent MeChelle's supposed "advanced" homemaker training was, because Jill delusionally thinks that this "kindergartener making a meal on mother's day" crap-cooking is something worthy of teaching other women.  

7 hours ago, RubyRei said:

When I was a kid I would eat mayo sandwiches. Just white bread with mayo soaked in. 

I am ashamed, I am sorry, and I don’t know why I did it :nowai:

This brings up a lovely memory for me, being about 9, sitting in the grass between our houses with the older girl next door - with whom I was totally smitten - eating mayo on wonder bread sandwiches she had made for us.  To my recollection it's the first time I ever had that sort of bread or store bought mayo.  It was delicious and my health conscious mother was horrifed I ate and liked it LOL

We were vegan for awhile, macrobiotic for awhile...when I was very little my mom worked part time at a health food store and got a discount and could take home things that were just expired for free.  So we ate a lot of "weird" things, healthy like seaweed, which I have always hated...tofu, tempeh. Chicken probably would have been cheaper if not for my mom's discount and she sold herself on the idea of it being a conscious decision.  But as soon as we could regularly afford chicken and such we started eating it.  I was allowed to eat dairy and eggs at friends houses but not candy, sugared cereals, sodas, etc.  I could always say no to the soda but I remember one sleepover where I had both candy dots AND froot loops, I was wired.

1 hour ago, acheronbeach said:

snip

It really shows how incompetent MeChelle's supposed "advanced" homemaker training was, because Jill delusionally thinks that this "kindergartener making a meal on mother's day" crap-cooking is something worthy of teaching other women.  

Snip

Exactly. It's as though Jill is having to learn how to invent the wheel.

2 hours ago, acheronbeach said:

NOOPE.  Last time OfJill cooked a meal, we got treated to his crotch thrust into the corner of a dining table.  It's not worth it, EVEN IF he has the ability to cook without condensed soup.  

Honestly, jokes aside, I've made recipes akin to these Jill monstrosities.  The thing is, they're shameful, busy weeknight meals, the sort of thing that you shouldn't be PROUD of because they're lazy, a monkey could make them, and they have virtually no nutritional value or taste beyond salt/fat/sugar.  It really shows how incompetent MeChelle's supposed "advanced" homemaker training was, because Jill delusionally thinks that this "kindergartener making a meal on mother's day" crap-cooking is something worthy of teaching other women.  

Could not agree more with the bolded! Once can only hope that Jana's gardening project makes a difference at least to the younger kids (not in the sense of homemaker training, but appreciating fresh vegetables and knowing how to turn them into a healthy meal).

Some random thoughts:

- Are any of the Duggars vegetarians? I remember those pictures where they all dressed up as cows and held signs that said "Eat more chicken"... it was something about getting a free meal, I think. Anyway, made me think that they have no idea where their chicken comes from or how it's "produced" (it sure ain't pretty). That canned chicken sounds disgusting to me (and I used to love chicken before I became vegan).

- I come from a small income* family as well. Our go-to meal when we could not afford meat was scrambled eggs with potatoes and spinach or pasta with tomato sauce (which was just heated, watered-down ketchup). We rarely went to restaurants, going to McDonald's maybe once or twice a year was a special treat. 

*I don't think we were poor in the sense many US Americans are poor, I grew up in Germany and I do appreciate the welfare system we have. I never went without enough food, clothes etc.

It's shameful, but the little Bonkers love Tatertot casserole. I make it my mom's way, though:

~1 pound browned hamburger, with onion, garlic, salt and pepper

~1 can Lutheran binder (cream of mushroom soup)

~1 quart home-canned green beans (or 2 cans store-bought)

~Enough tatertots to cover and some to for the cook to sneak off the top

If you dig into the bowels of FJ from about 6 months ago, I had posted a pic of Hubby's version of tater tot casserole that had cheese, bacon, green onions and a few other things. Cheap doesn't have to mean processed crap (though sadly in the US it often does). Seasoning is fundamental in our house, salt (often sea salt) and pepper are required, often garlic and onion powder. Herbs d'Provence or Sazon sometimes. We have a whole cupboard full of jars Hubby uses (cumin, turmeric, rosemary, oregano, basil, star anise, saffron, truffle salts, shawarma seasoning, that kind of stuff). Bland just does not exist!

10 hours ago, Pretzel said:

Quick question: Did your gramma pour BBQ sauce on the tuna that night you got sick? It would explain a lot. 

LOL!!! No. It was pretty standard - just macaroni, canned tuna, mayonnaise, salt, and pepper. Same way my mom made it, but I remember I didn’t like it the night my Grandma made it.

I went into work the next morning and was sent home about 30 minutes later - I was white as a sheet, shaking with chills, and had some sweat on my forehead from a fever. My Grandpa drove me the hour back to my parents’ house and I was wrapped in a heavy blanket the entire drive. The second I got home I was in the bathroom sick. Only time I’ve felt that bad was the day before I had my daughter. I’m guessing I caught some sort of really bad stomach bug, but my mind and body always associate canned meats with being sick now. It was the last substantial thing I ate before getting sick.

7 hours ago, Jinder Roles said:

I don’t understand why Jill won’t season her food.

Velveeta has enough salt for a week's worth of meas.

And @allthegoodnamesrgone and @feministxtian - I'm so sorry yall are going through this rough spot. (((hugs)))

It's like fundies think the only seasoning out there is salt and pepper. 

I remember when my nephew was little he was taught in preschool "don't yuck someone else's yum."  In other words, he was taught not to call other peoples' food gross just because you don't happen to like it or have never tried it.  I personally have always really liked that rule.

4 hours ago, DillyDally said:

Are any of the Duggars vegetarians? I remember those pictures where they all dressed up as cows and held signs that said "Eat more chicken"... it was something about getting a free meal, I think. Anyway, made me think that they have no idea where their chicken comes from or how it's "produced" (it sure ain't pretty).

That's a Chick Fil A promotion - CFA has a cow that tries to convince people to eat chicken instead of beef.  I don't think it means they don't know where food comes from (any more so than any other non-vegan).

6 minutes ago, Frumper said:

I remember when my nephew was little he was taught in preschool "don't yuck someone else's yum."  In other words, he was taught not to call other peoples' food gross just because you don't happen to like it or have never tried it.  I personally have always really liked that rule.

I like that rule too, as well as the one bite rule. My husband and I are trying to raise our daughter this way. Hopefully it sticks because I’d love for her to grow up to be an adventurous eater. 

There are definitely foods I dislike - ranch dressing, cottage cheese, canned meats. The only foods I classify as being personally gross to me are the ones that actually make me feel nauseous though. I’m positive there are things I like that others don’t like too. As long as everyone is healthy and fed that’s all that really counts.

55 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

It's like fundies think the only seasoning out there is salt and pepper. 

Sad but true. Some of my must have staples are

• Thai and Indian curry 
  • Hatch..always Hatch
  • Habanero,
  • Hatch
  • Chipotle
  • Hatch
  • Jerk 
  • Hatch

I'll admit to having made canned chicken salad. It' s great for camping because you can keep the meat outside of a cooler until it's needed. Then make enough for one meal, and be done. But for God's sake, brighten it up with carrots, celery,onion, SOME mayonnaise, maybe a bit of pickle relish... anything to give it color! and serve it on good bread.

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived