IGNORED

Mr & Mrs Jill Duggar 59: Still Dull in Dillsville

Jellybean

3 hours ago, Botkinetti said:

Personally I get really tired of the term “ cream of crap soup “ . It smacks of elitist BEC thinking. There are recipes I make with cans of cream of mushroom soup that are family favourites. I have never claimed to be an inspired cook and admit to feeling irritated that I am expected to be ashamed of the fact that I don’t mind taking shortcuts and don’t spend hours making dinner. 

Exactly! What's so goddamn 'shameful' about putting food on the table? People are acting like Jill is giving Sam and Izzy stale toast for a meal when that's just not the case.

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1.  That penis on the table pic again.  MY EYES!  Good lord.  Ew!

2. I'm personally not judging the entirety of what these people eat.  I am judging the heck out of that "soup" though.  Not soup.  Sounds like dip.  Maybe the broccoli water went into the soup, still don't need a full cup of cornstarch though......

Also, has anyone considered the fact that Jilly might be nervous about 'wasting' food by trying new spices she might not like in a new recipe. I now that when I moved out on my own I was terrified of having to throw food out because I wanted to 'try' something other than the usual spices. When you come from food scarcity, which we both know Jill did, it can be hard to justify fiddling around with food.

6 minutes ago, KelseyAnn said:

Also, has anyone considered the fact that Jilly might be nervous about 'wasting' food by trying new spices she might not like in a new recipe. I now that when I moved out on my own I was terrified of having to throw food out because I wanted to 'try' something other than the usual spices. When you come from food scarcity, which we both know Jill did, it can be hard to justify fiddling around with food.

True, she did or Dwreck did rather, say she'd hide in the bathroom to eat.  Which confuses me.  Would her siblings take from her plate or something?

1 hour ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I don't know what Hatch is.

Halp?

Hatch are the quintessential New Mexico chilies. Grown in Hatch, New Mexico they are green little bundles of yum. When Albuquerque it is common to ask or your food "Christmas"  style which is a combo of red and green chills mixed. When there, I can never decide which kind I want, so I just say "Christmas" and oh yea spicy goodness.

Here is more info https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatch,_New_Mexico

2 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

I have fond memories of seeing PETA set up a table outside my college’s student union so I went and grabbed some Chick Fil A and ate it in front of them. Because I’m an asshole. Plus PETA makes me crave fried chicken so badly.

They're used to it. A lot of people think it's funny to say and do things like that.

Thank you, @onekidanddone! I'm very familiar with Christmas on my food (I love Albuquerque and Santa Fe so very much). Off to look at Amazon and see if it's there. lol

12 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

They're used to it. A lot of people think it's funny to say and do things like that.

Only because Peta is a horrible organization. You don't see people doing things like that to other animal-advocacy groups. 

Sharing her shitty recipe was supposed to be for a laugh, not to turn into a serious debate about healthy vs unhealthy food. :pb_lol:

8 minutes ago, KelseyAnn said:

Only because Peta is a horrible organization. You don't see people doing things like that to other animal-advocacy groups. 

You definitely do. All you have to do is say you're vegetarian and a lot of people think it's hilarious to put meat in your face and talk about how much they love meat. It's obnoxious but vegetarians see people eating meat all the time anyway. 

I don't like PETA either for a lot of reasons, but the "people eating tasty animals" jokes get old.

(There are also people who get really concerned they'll offend me if they eat meat in front of me. I think it's nice they care, but it's really not a big deal to me!)

4 hours ago, Botkinetti said:

Personally I get really tired of the term “ cream of crap soup “ . It smacks of elitist BEC thinking. There are recipes I make with cans of cream of mushroom soup that are family favourites. I have never claimed to be an inspired cook and admit to feeling irritated that I am expected to be ashamed of the fact that I don’t mind taking shortcuts and don’t spend hours making dinner. 

Thank you for saying that. When I'm really wanting comfort food I mix cooked rice, chicken, cheddar cheese and broccoli and glue it all together with cream of mushroom soup. The Duggar family is messed up, but I try not to judge people's eating habits. I have stomach issues and glorious carbs are sometimes the only things that don't make me feel sick. 

I think it's fair game to judge pictures of chicken salad for looking really gross though. I'd judge any internet recipe with a really disgusting picture attached!

Spoiler

image.png.eb6db1b4659870c8a5f5cf8e6fabfb3c.png

Like that. I'm judging the hell out of that.

13 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Sharing her shitty recipe was supposed to be for a laugh, not to turn into a serious debate about healthy vs unhealthy food. :pb_lol:

Seriously.   Just, fuck that soup. Ratchet ass soup.  I'm here for soup snark!   I feel like a whole painted toenail is in there a la baby Jesus and the NO King cake.  

15 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

You definitely do. All you have to do is say you're vegetarian and a lot of people think it's hilarious to put meat in your face and talk about how much they love meat. It's obnoxious but vegetarians see people eating meat all the time anyway. 

I don't like PETA either for a lot of reasons, but the "people eating tasty animals" jokes get old.

(There are also people who get really concerned they'll offend me if they eat meat in front of me. I think it's nice they care, but it's really not a big deal to me!)

Yes, you are right about that account. If people are needlessly rubbing meat in your face, that's just a dick move. :(

4 hours ago, Botkinetti said:

I'm torn on this issue, because I do think the food snark can become too much, and I take plenty of short cuts when cooking. However, unlike canned chicken or instant rice, it is called cream of crap soup not because it's cheap or a shortcut, but because it is terrible for you with little nutritional value. That isn't elitist to point out. The Duggar children were not fed well and are passing that onto their own children, despite seeming to have the money to do better. The Bateses experienced the same food insecurity for even longer, but seem to be doing much better with the third generation. 

All this canned chicken talk is reminding me I used to sneak down into the basement and eat dog food as a child. (I'm totally judging myself).

1 hour ago, KelseyAnn said:

Exactly! What's so goddamn 'shameful' about putting food on the table? People are acting like Jill is giving Sam and Izzy stale toast for a meal when that's just not the case.

I don't think anyone is saying it is shameful to put food on the table, but that's not exactly a struggle for Jill and Derick. I do think consistently feeding children nutritionally void meals and fat, sugar, and salt filled food when a family seems to have the money and time to do better is open to criticism.  I don't think the chicken salad is that bad, just unappetizing, but the lack of vegetables and high salt and sugar content in their foods is troubling. Nutrition is important and poor diet has a whole host of issues that accompany it.

Our country has a health crisis in the form of an obesity epidemic and that is in large part to people (both poor and wealthy) not understanding the basics of nutrition and thinking that frozen chicken pot pies, potatoes, PB&J,  and cream soups are healthy staples in a diet, when they are just not. 

Regarding Derick's junk on the table, I've studied the picture, *shudder* and I think it might be something in his pocket. At least I hope so. It pays to carefully look at your pictures before you post them on social media. Ok, where's the brain bleach? :brainbleach:

2 hours ago, KelseyAnn said:

I would feel better if she gave them toast then some of the food she's giving that are laden with sugar, salt, preservatives, BPA in the can lining, and plenty of other chemicals with no nutrition since it's been cooked to death before canning. I use some canned vegetables too, especially diced tomato, but let's be clear that the "cream of crap" can are so-called because they are quite literally filled with crap and are not healthy. If you're okay with that fine, but don't deny that it's not as healthy and cost-affordable as cooking food from scratch.

In this whole discussion have we even talked about how some of those cans are also not at all thrifty? It takes a little more work but is cheaper and healthier overall to make something like a cream of mushroom soup (flour, butter, mushrooms, broth, cream, mushrooms, salt, pepper, spices) yourself than to buy it already prepared. This has already been said but aren't these girls raised to be extraordinary housewives? I would think they'd be cooking and canning and freezing away.

Also, what happened to all those lovely plates and silverware they all add to their wedding registries? Why do they register for it if they can't use it? I can understand for 19 kids but for a family of 4 who probably has a dishwasher it is painful to see all the styrofoam they use.

Holy smokes!  Time to post the Gallery of Regrettable Food again to lighten the mood.  http://lileks.com/institute/gallery/

Out of the kindness of my heart I'm not going to post any images, but I can tell you that the Ew la la French cooking, meat, and jello sections are particularly barfable.  Fashions change, in food as in everything else, and canned soups were liberating for the mid 20th century housewife.

31 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

Our country has a health crisis in the form of an obesity epidemic and that is in large part to people (both poor and wealthy) not understanding the basics of nutrition and thinking that frozen chicken pot pies, potatoes, PB&J,  and cream soups are healthy staples in a diet, when they are just not. 

Agreed.  But part of it is because a lot of people can't afford to shop the perimeters of the supermarket, lack the time or knowledge to cook from scratch, and live in food deserts.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_desert  Also spices are helluva expensive and a luxury item for many.

And if you have to shop the inner aisles of the supermarket there is a whole lot of unhealthy crap  stuff in US processed foods.  The manufacturers are to blame.

I donate things like sugary instant oatmeal, canned Chef Boyardee pasta, canned chunky soups, and instant mashed potatoes to my local food pantry.  Not because I want to encourage people in an unhealthy diet but because that is what the pantry asks for.  

Why?  Because people may be trying to cook on a hotplate or only have access to a microwave.  Or they are working two or three jobs and are so f'ing tired they need something really fast.  And it means that some kids have to heat up their own food.

It is a huge problem.

4 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

I donate things like sugary instant oatmeal, canned Chef Boyardee pasta, canned chunky soups, and instant mashed potatoes to my local food pantry.  Not because I want to encourage people in an unhealthy diet but because that is what the pantry asks for.  

Why?  Because people may be trying to cook on a hotplate or only have access to a microwave.  Or they are working two or three jobs and are so f'ing tired they need something really fast.  And it means that some kids have to heat up their own food.

It is a huge problem.

You're right, but let's be clear that the Dillards and Duggars are not these people. Especially the being tired from working 2-3 jobs (LOL).

7 minutes ago, freethemall said:

You're right, but let's be clear that the Dillards and Duggars are not these people. Especially the being tired from working 2-3 jobs (LOL).

Wait, this thread is about the Dillards?  I thought it was about food.  Oops!    :laughing-jumpingpurple:

My guess is that Jill is just reproducing the hot dish recipes from her childhood.  That is all she was taught to cook by Michelle.  But she has been known to cook fresh broccoli - no?

So has Derick tweeted much hatred recently?

2 hours ago, singsingsing said:

I tend to agree with this. There are all sorts of things that I'm not great at. I feel no shame about them whatsoever, but I also wouldn't share my efforts with strangers online as though they're great tips & tricks, you know? Sharing to ask for help or to show improvement is one thing, but Jill shares these things as though they're fantastically clever insights that everyone would benefit from. Probably has something to do with growing up in a family where they were constantly told that they were special and chosen by God and the constant fawning of the leghumpers. Now she thinks everyone is dying to know her velveeta-and-corn-starch soup recipe.

Look at her infamous 'car seat hack'. She just doesn't get it. I think she sees other people sharing recipes/ideas/hacks and such on social media and just sort of blindly tries to copy that. It's like she desperately wants to have this polished and well-oiled social media game, but she can't quite figure out how and she's floundering.

I wish I could like this comment 100Xs. This is exactly it. I wish someone with some amount of power or influence (Do the Dillards have a minister???) could pull Jill aside and kindly tell her that despite what her parents told her, there are many ways to live a fulfilling life, and that she and her Duggar Brand do not have all the answers. In reality, the only reason that they had a show at all was because her parents lacked the common sense that God gave a turnip. I wish Jill could find her niche. Maybe she should go into ministry?

41 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Regarding Derick's junk on the table, I've studied the picture, *shudder* and I think it might be something in his pocket. At least I hope so. It pays to carefully look at your pictures before you post them on social media. Ok, where's the brain bleach? :brainbleach:

Like what? A banana?  Lmao

:banana-explosion:

18 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Holy smokes!  Time to post the Gallery of Regrettable Food again to lighten the mood.  http://lileks.com/institute/gallery/

Out of the kindness of my heart I'm not going to post any images, but I can tell you that the Ew la la French cooking, meat, and jello sections are particularly barfable.  Fashions change, in food as in everything else, and canned soups were liberating for the mid 20th century housewife.

Agreed.  But part of it is because a lot of people can't afford to shop the perimeters of the supermarket, lack the time or knowledge to cook from scratch, and live in food deserts.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_desert  Also spices are helluva expensive and a luxury item for many.

And if you have to shop the inner aisles of the supermarket there is a whole lot of unhealthy crap  stuff in US processed foods.  The manufacturers are to blame.

It is a huge problem.

The only thing in her recipes that truly offended me was the milk and 3 cans of soup in burritos... like what?? That type of food is so easy to make with minimal processed ingredients 

But in terms of poverty, food deserts/accessibility, time, lack of resources of any kind, none of those obstacles apply to the Duggar/Dillards. Truth be told, Jill could be taking cooking classes, if she so chose. She apparently has enough money that neither she nor her 29 YO husband need to work, and she certainly has plenty of time and oodles of childcare options. 

The sky SHOULD BE the limit for these folks, yet nada. I guess this is what happens when your education is so lacking.

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived