IGNORED

Mr & Mrs Jill Duggar 59: Still Dull in Dillsville

Jellybean

Dear Jill,

While I think you did a decent job writing your Memorial Day post (which sounded more intelligent and heartfelt than the President's MAGA Memorial Day Sale post or the Happy Memorial Day the Staddons posted that we discussed on the Waller thread), you could have gone to your local cemetery and taken a shot from a distance of flags by gravestones. Mind you, not close enough that we could read the names, but from far enough away that we could have seen the flags. (Yes, I know the flags go on the Veterans' graves, not just the ones who died in a war.)

This seems to be yet another example of Jill trying to make a good post, but getting it just wrong enough to make it jarring.

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those recipes she's been posting on the Dillard family page... Is she attempting suicide by way of bland high fat food? Broccoli cheese soup that is mostly Velveeta thinned out with heavy cream, and is it even chicken salad if the only ingredients are chicken, mayo, salt, pepper, and lemon juice? WTF grown woman?

This is honestly the least appetizing dish I’ve ever seen on instagram. It looks like cat vomit. :5624796c9c279_dead(2):

999DCB52-E5EF-4E66-83F9-94271DE0D71A.jpeg

32 minutes ago, TheOneAndOnly said:

Those recipes she's been posting on the Dillard family page... Is she attempting suicide by way of bland high fat food? Broccoli cheese soup that is mostly Velveeta thinned out with heavy cream, and is it even chicken salad if the only ingredients are chicken, mayo, salt, pepper, and lemon juice? WTF grown woman?

I know she'd get some flak about appropriation (I certainly don't like her whole schtick of "tee hee foreign cultures and foods yay...but it's totally fine to rip your children from you and then lose track of them forever, ban you from the country purely based on nationality, call your entire people rapists/murderers, be condescending to you because you're the 'wrong' religion and only befriend you to harass you about Jesus, or be condescending to you because you speak a different language...but tee hee your food is so tasty!!!!"), but why not do some adaptations of Nepali or Salvadoran recipes for little gora/gringo kids? Why not do some mainstays using ingredients from your travels? Maybe breaded chicken with a tandoori spice mix, or a Salvadoran-style broccoli and cheese soup where you use cheese and spices common to Salvadoran cooking? That would actually be interesting. 

7 hours ago, Hashtag Blessed said:

Sometimes I couldn't sleep until I rearranged all the furniture in my room

This rang such a bell! I was like this as a kid. Always did fine in school but sleeping was impossible. I’ve been thinking I probably have adhd ever since I learned there is an “inattentive” type. I manage to function okay, but each day is constantly retracing my steps because I forgot something physical or just an important task over and over . You learn to cope with tricks like alarms and post-its, but it can be frustrating. Me going to the grocery store = gotta go get cheese! - gets in car, drives to store, gets to the door of the store, oh no, my purse is at home!, goes back home to get purse, drives to store, buys groceries, goes home, forgot the cheese! I remember as a teen listening to my riding instructor tell me what tack to use on my horse, nodding along, walking to the tack room and looking around having retained NONE of the conversation from 2 minutes ago.  I feel bad because I end up spacing things and letting people down sometimes. I do like the hyper focus when it kicks in though. The house gets cleaned once weekly, late at night in a several hour rampage. 

1 hour ago, TheOneAndOnly said:

Those recipes she's been posting on the Dillard family page... Is she attempting suicide by way of bland high fat food? 

I don't know, if I were married to Derick, in a covenant marriage that I couldn't get out of... this might be how I cook for him!

10 hours ago, feministxtian said:

In adults, the H in ADHD tends to be less running around and more fidgeting, having to keep the hands occupied, always fooling with something. It's not necessarily a constant thing, I mean, if I get into a book, I can hyperfocus on the book, but if my hands aren't occupied otherwise, I'm just this side of insane. 

I'm the queen of the fidget. I can hyper focus on things too, it is nuts If I set my mind to it, but I have to block out all external stimuli to do it. At work my headphones are my BFFs it can annoy people but it is literally the only way I can get shit done, my bosses learn to deal with it because I get my job done. 

5 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I'm the queen of the fidget. I can hyper focus on things too, it is nuts If I set my mind to it, but I have to block out all external stimuli to do it. At work my headphones are my BFFs it can annoy people but it is literally the only way I can get shit done, my bosses learn to deal with it because I get my job done. 

I feel ya sister! I buy cheap-ass ear buds because I'm always fucking them up. No earbuds, no work. I can hear the damn lights overhead and it drives me NUTS. I can hear every single fucking conversation in a 25 foot radius around me...so, you want work? I wear ear buds and turn the music or podcast up REALLY loud. 

7 hours ago, Seculardaisy said:

This is honestly the least appetizing dish I’ve ever seen on instagram. It looks like cat vomit. :5624796c9c279_dead(2):

Like vegan may is going to make that tragic dish any better lol.

Because people making chicken salad are definitely looking for a way to make it vegan?

Just now, ViolaSebastian said:

Because people making chicken salad are definitely looking for a way to make it vegan?

She was responding to someone who said to use avocado instead of mayo to make it ‘healthy’ chicken salad. Avocado is still a fat. I hate that avocado is for some reason thought of as this magical health food that transforms anything you replace with it. 

Like eating my weight in guacamole is a life dream of mine but I’m not going in thinking it’s going to be healthy 

2 hours ago, Nargus said:

Like eating my weight in guacamole is a life dream of mine but I’m not going in thinking it’s going to be healthy 

It's NOT? I mean - guacamole is the ONLY way I can tolerate avocado. Maybe that explains some things.

11 hours ago, Seculardaisy said:

I'm probably a weirdo liking how that looks then, I guess? Then again, I wouldn't use the food in that context. Perhaps in a baked potato (i mean that kinda reminds me of tuna mayo and coronation chicken which I love with potaters) or between a baguette with some salad and cucumber.

Everytime the canned chicken comes up I just want to hurl.  I feel bad if it's all they can afford (doesn't costco have $5 rotisserie chickens though?  You can get several meals out of one plus make stock from the carcass) but it just makes me shudder.

Before my nut allergy manifested I liked my chicken salad with grapes, dill, and pecans.  Now I like crisp apple and curry powder.  I love mayonnaise (Belgian D&L brand is heaven) and sometimes avocados.  Other times I hate avocados.  The worst is when I don't realize I am currently hating until after I open one.

30 minutes ago, finnlassie said:

I'm probably a weirdo liking how that looks then, I guess? Then again, I wouldn't use the food in that context. Perhaps in a baked potato (i mean that kinda reminds me of tuna mayo and coronation chicken which I love with potaters) or between a baguette with some salad and cucumber.

I'd eat smoked trout or salmon with a similar preparation, but I'd still add some shallots, chives, lemon, garlic, paprika, something beyond just mayo, salt, and pepper, something fresher.  If I were doing food blogging/recipes like that, I'd also add some parsley or something to jazz up the pic.  A smoked salmon rillette is amazing, but not the most photogenic meal.  As with many things Jill-related, it's just odd to see how she markets herself, her family, and her recipes.  

I would have thrown in some grapes or apples or cranberries, a bit of walnut or almonds.... it needs tarting up. 

14 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Jill sharing a photo of someone she didn't research is rich. If I were that woman I'd be bitching all over social media about my photo being used. 

Also in typical Jill fashion, she's sharing a recipe on her blog that includes the much beloved CANNED chicken, but don't forget the freshly squeezed lemon. :pb_lol:

Reddit link so you don't have to give the Dull's clicks

https://www.reddit.com/r/DuggarsSnark/comments/8n39d3/just_buy_a_rotisserie_chicken_jill_geez/

Maybe her headship doesn't allow her to "research" online?  I wonder if JB told Jill that she needs to start shilling a bit harder for the Dillards' keep?

I'm just SO glad that Jill Duggar and her family, who have been begging for money to support themselves instead of getting a JOB, can afford to shop at Whole Foods.  I would LOVE to shop at Whole Foods regularly.  Honestly, I would.  I love that store.  But even on my very decent salary, it's not in the cards.  I consider a trip to Whole Foods a bit of a treat, honestly.  

I wonder how many people who donated to the Dillards' ministry can afford to shop at Whole Foods like the Dillards can?  

9 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

I'm just SO glad that Jill Duggar and her family, who have been begging for money to support themselves instead of getting a JOB, can afford to shop at Whole Foods.  I would LOVE to shop at Whole Foods regularly.  Honestly, I would.  I love that store.  But even on my very decent salary, it's not in the cards.  I consider a trip to Whole Foods a bit of a treat, honestly.  

I wonder how many people who donated to the Dillards' ministry can afford to shop at Whole Foods like the Dillards can?  

I consider this a relevant question and def not BEC. When they are more or less constantly begging for donations, it does become the public's business, since it is the public's money. If Derrick and Jill stopped all grifting and stated "Jill draws a salary as a mid-wife at a birthing center. Derrick draws a salary as a youth pastor at Cross Church." I would be much less inclined to comment. 

11 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

I don't know, if I were married to Derick, in a covenant marriage that I couldn't get out of... this might be how I cook for him!

I'm afraid if I were locked into a covenant marriage to someone as odious as ofJill I'd be throwing in some foraged foxglove leaves for colour and texture too.... ooops - I had no idea they were poisonous to humans and caused heart attacks! So sad. 

Seriously, people who can't cook and don't know how to take appetizing pictures of the food they make shouldn't have a recipe blog. She's just really extraordinarily bad at it (and all things social media).

2 minutes ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

I consider this a relevant question and def not BEC. When they are more or less constantly begging for donations, it does become the public's business, since it is the public's money. If Derrick and Jill stopped all grifting and stated "Jill draws a salary as a mid-wife at a birthing center. Derrick draws a salary as a youth pastor at Cross Church." I would be much less inclined to comment. 

I've always kind of wondered where all their money went.  Then Derick went on that twitter rampage indicating maybe they never had access to a lot of money to begin with, which really didn't add up to me, but whatever.  

But I think Jill has just accidentally revealed something about their finances.  I don't think that the begging was ever to truly support the family.  I think they make enough or at least made enough to get by.  I think the begging was so that they could do all this fun missionary and ministry work without taking a hit to their standard of living.  Which is despicable.  If you TRULY believe something and are willing to TRULY sacrifice for it, that's something I can get behind asking for support for it.  But if you just don't want to stop shopping at WHOLE FRIGGIN FOODS while you live your dream of doing nothing all day, that's something else entirely.  Especially when you consider that many of these families that probably donated to them ARE just scraping by.  

But that's the issue: both Jill and Derick I genuinely believe think they are BETTER than everyone else.  They don't think they need to start shopping at Wal*Mart and live off ramen like everyone else when they are changing careers.  They don't think they need to temporarily tighten their belts while they are without an income.  They think they DESERVE to live like this, and that they DESERVE to have other people support them in that.  

God wants that one evangelist to have a jet plane, and God wants the Dillards to shop at Whole Foods.  I'm no expert, but I've read my Bible...and based on my reading, I would be very afraid to meet Jesus if I lived my life like that.  Very, very afraid.  

I doubt these picture say something about their finances though. They aren’t exactly rich with different veggies like posters before me suggested they would use. And for all we know, they could be eating grilled cheese sandwiches 5 days a week to be able to post these ^amazing^ pictures. The way I see it,  she’s trying her best to save what little reputation they have left. 

We had this discussion before with Jessa and Ben and their Haagen-Dazs ice cream. It's really hard to judge someone's financial situation based on a tiny amount of information like seeing them eating expensive ice cream once a week or occasionally shopping at Whole Foods.

For me, my judgement of Mr. & Mrs. Jill Duggar's begging is completely removed from their financial situation. Whether they're rich and driving sports cars and eating $50 steaks every night or they're taking the bus and living on rice and beans, begging strangers on the internet for money so that you can engage in vague and secretive 'ministry' activities and refusing to be transparent about why you actually need the money or how you're going to use it is super shady, full stop. When you factor in that they're using this money to help spread their fundamentalist agenda, of course for me that makes it even worse. Whether they can afford to shop at Whole Foods or not is irrelevant, because they're not saying they need this money to survive. They want it so they can keep pushing their disgusting agenda.

1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

I would have thrown in some grapes or apples or cranberries, a bit of walnut or almonds.... it needs tarting up. 

I'm literally eating canned chicken salad with some grapes, almonds & cashews. 

I don't know how the prices compare in Arkansas, but in my area the prices at Whole Foods are LOWER than the prices at Publix (largest grocery chain in the area) and Green Wise (Publix answer to Whole Foods).  You can shop more economically at Aldi but selection is limited and unpredictable.  You can probably shop more economically at Walmart or Costco, but probably not enough to make a huge dent in the budget for a small family and they really are not comparable in terms of organics, fresh fruit and veggies, meat quality, selection and package size, etc.  I don't think shopping at Whole Foods - as an infrequent treat or all of the time - is really anything to criticize.  The recipes on the other hand; not exactly haute cuisine.

Whole Foods Price Comparison: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/features/deals-shopping/fl-bz-whole-foods-price-comparison-chart-20170901-story.html

43 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I'm literally eating canned chicken salad with some grapes, almonds & cashews. 

People often act like canned chicken is odd or strange, but it is really not much different than using canned tuna instead of fresh tuna in a recipe.  I frequently make a killer recipe for crab cakes using canned crab.  It saves me a lot of time not having to clean and cook fresh crab.  No one has ever known the difference.  Works great with canned salmon too!

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived