IGNORED

Mr & Mrs Jill Duggar 59: Still Dull in Dillsville

Jellybean

1 hour ago, Audrey2 said:

Not only that, gardening also takes a certain level of skill. My Dad was a very talented gardener, who could get almost anything to grow. He raised some cotton plants one year and peanuts another, in Northern Ohio, where these crops typically don't grow. I have a black thumb, and my home had always been where plants go to die. When I lived in the desert Southwest, I even managed to kill bougainvillea and lantana, which are almost impossible to kill. While I think, to a certain extent, gardening can be taught, I know there's some skill as well.

I have a black thumb as well, and I was raised in the American southwest. My grandparents had a wonderful garden. I have cousins with that skill. I do know some in rural areas are more likely to hunt for subsistence. I consider that just as much a skill as gardening. Joy and Austin hunt. I would 100% support a blog where Joy and Austin show Jill how they prepare and cook the game they hunt. A little mother daughter bonding time as well. 

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

I have a black thumb ass well, 

Of all the wells that you could have this one seems pretty useless! Lmao

31 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

Not only that, gardening also takes a certain level of skill. My Dad was a very talented gardener, who could get almost anything to grow. He raised some cotton plants one year and peanuts another, in Northern Ohio, where these crops typically don't grow. I have a black thumb, and my home had always been where plants go to die. When I lived in the desert Southwest, I even managed to kill bougainvillea and lantana, which are almost impossible to kill. While I think, to a certain extent, gardening can be taught, I know there's some skill as well.

I know! It's a mystery to me how some people are so good at gardening! I can grow herbs but that's it. I think all the squash bugs and corn borers and tomato slugs get a special signal when I plant things so they can come and eat them! :my_cry:

I routinely eat waffles with peanut butter, honey and cinnamon. Is there anything wrong with me? 

I also eat toast with honey and butter....YUM....

11 minutes ago, bekkah said:

I routinely eat waffles with peanut butter, honey and cinnamon. Is there anything wrong with me? 

I also eat toast with honey and butter....YUM....

To my mind, this is the equivalent of using waffles as a bread product, so pretty standard. Then again, I put peanut butter in oatmeal with raspberries so I go all in. Peanuts and peanut products are staples in many form of Asian cooking. When I lived in China, I got hooked on peanut milk pretty quick. 

I would like to thank everyone for making me feel less ashamed of one of the disgusting things I enjoyed as a child. I’m still horribly ashamed, but thank you :pb_lol:

5 hours ago, Screamapillar said:

In excess, a fat is still going to make you gain weight. I had to meet with a nutritionist for diabetes counseling for gestational diabetes. I have the fortunate/unfortunate problem of not gaining weight (beyond the weight of the baby and assorted baby related fluids) when I'm pregnant, and as I'm on the skinny side to begin with I was recommended to eat a lot of avocados and nuts to avoid losing weight because they're good for the GD diet and are a healthy fat. But they are still a fat nonetheless.

Yeah, but in excess anything is going to make you gain weight. You can also lose weight eating absolutely anything as long as you don't eat too much of it.

It does seem though that some people don't quite realize this and think that if a food is healthy (or perceived that way) they can eat as much of it as they want.

47 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

Yeah, but in excess anything is going to make you gain weight. You can also lose weight eating absolutely anything as long as you don't eat too much of it.

It does seem though that some people don't quite realize this and think that if a food is healthy (or perceived that way) they can eat as much of it as they want.

After being diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, I changed what I eat.  I limit my carbs but increased my fat intake.  I've lost 42 lbs so far (in just under four years).  Examples:  I put a pat of butter in my morning coffee;  I make tuna salad and fill half an avocado with it (for a tuna melt, I top with shredded cheese and micro for 40 seconds); I use heavy whipping cream in recipes instead of milk, etc.  This works for me, but the catch is keeping the daily carb count low.  Fat is no longer my enemy.  Sugar and too many carbs are.

1 hour ago, EmmieJ said:

After being diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, I changed what I eat.  I limit my carbs but increased my fat intake.  I've lost 42 lbs so far (in just under four years).  Examples:  I put a pat of butter in my morning coffee;  I make tuna salad and fill half an avocado with it (for a tuna melt, I top with shredded cheese and micro for 40 seconds); I use heavy whipping cream in recipes instead of milk, etc.  This works for me, but the catch is keeping the daily carb count low.  Fat is no longer my enemy.  Sugar and too many carbs are.

I'd love to do a low-carb, high fat diet again, but it puts me in agony since my gall bladder removal in October. I've gained so much weight because of it. :tw_cry: I ate heavy whipping cream about a month ago and thought I was going to die, it hurt so much. 

Is it just me and where I currently live...but has food prices gone up? 

Nah, trust this 40kg girl, carbs are not your enemy. Never been on a diet in my life. As long as it's not all processed sugar and white flour. IMHO whole wheat noodles and rice taste much better anyway. Oh and potatoes -and oats! :my_heart: (i hate fried stuff though because my grandmother used to fry EVERYTHING)

9 minutes ago, Sky with diamonds said:

Is it just me and where I currently live...but has food prices gone up? 

Its not you, food prices have gone up a tun, and the packages are smaller when the prices aren't higher.  

26 minutes ago, justoneoftwo said:

Its not you, food prices have gone up a tun, and the packages are smaller when the prices aren't higher.  

I noticed the smaller packaging too since it's now down to me to shop for my parents. Grrr at paying more for less.

On 5/31/2018 at 2:01 PM, Bad Wolf said:

Regarding Derick's junk on the table, I've studied the picture, *shudder* and I think it might be something in his pocket.

Uhhh.. It's obviously a DILL pickle.

I'll see myself to the prayer closet.

On 5/31/2018 at 9:59 PM, VelociRapture said:

Pediatricians are actually pushing back against juice and chocolate milk. We had already decided to avoid giving either to our daughter (and haven’t thus far) prior to being advised to avoid them by her Pediatrician at one of our first appointments (in very late 2016.) The only things she’s had to drink so far are whole milk, formula, water, and breast milk.

ETA: And by not giving it to her, I mean we don’t intend to until she shows interest. She’s likely going to try them at some point and we figure they can be an occasional treat if she ends up liking either or both of them.

Not a bad way to go, my sister in law didn’t give my niece any of those and now aged 4, she only drinks milk and water. People have offered her juice, she has no interest in trying it she just asks for water instead. I plan on doing the same, in the nine years I worked in KFC I have saw a few families putting fizzy drinks in their kids bottles, I have had the urge to tell them not to do that. No wonder Scotland is the voted the unhealthiest in Europe all the time. 

Treats are great,  but as someone who is trying to cut down on fizzy drinks and sweets. I don't want to give my kids it, until they are older.

I didn't have any sugary foods or drinks for my first year of life. At my first birthday party my mom was proudly saying that sugar had never touched my lips and then my aunt got a fingerfull of icing and rubbed it on my mouth. My mom is still kind of bitter about that. :pb_lol:

1 hour ago, squiddysquid said:

Nah, trust this 40kg girl, carbs are not your enemy. Never been on a diet in my life. As long as it's not all processed sugar and white flour. IMHO whole wheat noodles and rice taste much better anyway. Oh and potatoes -and oats! :my_heart: (i hate fried stuff though because my grandmother used to fry EVERYTHING)

welp, this is great to know.

As a little kid I used to eat grape jelly and Velveeta. Don't judge me.

Not to argue, but for diabetics yes carbs are your enemy.  They increase your blood glucose, like sugar does.  But for non diabetics, carbs don't have the same effect.

This is one of my favourite recipes at the moment, lentils, low carb, low fat, gluten free... Should work for most of you :)https://www.cookwithkushi.com/cauliflower-dal/

Too bad I couldn't read the recipe.  An annoying box kept popping up asking me to follow I presume whoever posted the recipe.

50 minutes ago, Glasgowghirl said:

Not a bad way to go, my sister in law didn’t give my niece any of those and now aged 4, she only drinks milk and water. People have offered her juice, she has no interest in trying it she just asks for water instead. I plan on doing the same, in the nine years I worked in KFC I have saw a few families putting fizzy drinks in their kids bottles, I have had the urge to tell them not to do that. No wonder Scotland is the voted the unhealthiest in Europe all the time. 

Treats are great,  but as someone who is trying to cut down on fizzy drinks and sweets. I don't want to give my kids it, until they are older.

It's a real issue here in the U.S., too. I worked with kiddos for an extended amount of time, and there were some who would flat out refuse to drink water, which was the only thing the agency I worked for allowed them to drink, outside of milk and sometimes chocolate milk at mealtime. They even refused to take their medication with water. We tried everything we could think of, because it several would wet the bed regularly and it was so dilute from dehydration that we couldn't get the smell out without washing the sheets three or four times. It was an uphill battle to keep everyone drinking, even on incredibly hot days. These kids were just used to only drinking soda and juice that they had a hard time adjusting when they couldn't have it. 

In my state, they also talk a lot about "Mountain Dew mouth," which is the result of feeding kids soda from the time they're really small. Almost every kid that came into our agency had to have multi-phase dental work done which was not pleasant for them. 

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2013/09/12/221845853/mountain-dew-mouth-is-destroying-appalachias-teeth

39 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

As a little kid I used to eat grape jelly and Velveeta. Don't judge me.

I would also make corn "soup" with a can of creamed corn, milk and a Velveeta when I was sick.  Loved it.  

1 hour ago, ViolaSebastian said:

In my state, they also talk a lot about "Mountain Dew mouth," which is the result of feeding kids soda from the time they're really small. Almost every kid that came into our agency had to have multi-phase dental work done which was not pleasant for them. 

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2013/09/12/221845853/mountain-dew-mouth-is-destroying-appalachias-teeth

I know a few kids that got all their baby teeth pulled for the same reason. When I was a young child the only fizzy drinks I really got was a glass bottle of Irn bru when we had food from the fish and chip shop, between 5 of us so we only got half a cup of it or a glass of coke at parties and special occasions. We were allowed orange or blackcurrant squash more often but milk, water and tea was our main drinks.

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived