IGNORED

Mr & Mrs Jill Duggar 59: Still Dull in Dillsville

Jellybean

20 hours ago, InTheNameofRufus said:

I’ll admit I’ve never tried canned chicken, but wing dip I’ll eat all day long. Although, because I was born and raised a Buffalo native, i’m a bit of a chicken wing snob. The best recipes (for me) contain small amounts of ranch dressing (sacrilege!!!) and more Frank’s hot sauce!

On a non-related note, Chik-fil-A is breaking ground about two miles away from me in Cheektowaga. They will be very close to a Sonic (my neighborhood is behind it) and supposedly according to the latest rumors Popeyes is coming a few doors down from the Sonic. Dear Rufus, please let the fast food madness stop! 

Fellow Buffalonian!  I don't live there anymore, but I grew up right around there, and I still have family there. My brother went to D'Youville college and my sister to Geneseo. I'm extremely annoyed to hear about chikfila. Ugh. 

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@VelociRapture- Thanks! I didn't want to give the Duggars clicks, and I guess we only respond to the snarkable ones on here. That blueberry-citrus smoothie actually looks really good...

19 hours ago, fluffernutter said:

That cup of cornstarch has to be mistake, right?

I really hope so. I use cornstarch sometimes to thicken sauces but only a half teaspoon or so. That is usually enough to thicken nicely. I also use tomato paste depending on what I'm making. A cup of corstarch just screams gelatinous ooze.

5 hours ago, Lisafer said:

Thank you for saying that. When I'm really wanting comfort food I mix cooked rice, chicken, cheddar cheese and broccoli and glue it all together with cream of mushroom soup. The Duggar family is messed up, but I try not to judge people's eating habits. I have stomach issues and glorious carbs are sometimes the only things that don't make me feel sick. 

Hide contents

That sounds very comforting.  I'd make that and just leave out the rice.

20 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

A cup of corstarch just screams gelatinous ooze.

Or this....

Spoiler

4bf7e38022a92aeef8e6a75467e23e3a--cuban-

1 hour ago, Lisafer said:

My kids don't drink a lot of juice, but I keep it on hand for when they're constipated (both of them have had constipation issues starting from about six months). But I let my older one have lemonade or chocolate milk as an occasional treat.

Not sure if you’ve tried this, or if they even like it, but 2 of my kids have constipation issues and we started giving them yogurt several days a week. It helped tremendously! The doctor said the active cultures in the yogurt can help their digestive tracts. They both had prescriptions for Miralax but haven’t had to use it since we started regularly giving them yogurt. Just something that might help, if the juice ever stops working for them. 

I'm eating a doctored-up gluten-free frozen cheese pizza, with buffalo sauce and (gasp!) canned chicken. It's delicious. lol

I'm eating the last of my spicy chickpeas. 

3 hours ago, justoneoftwo said:

I think its great how people here have pointed out the problems of time and equipment when it comes to food.  Too often you hear about food deserts, but having stores won't fix the problem if you don't have an oven, or time.  If you have a good kitchen and some time sure, you can eat healthy with little money, but those are really luxuries for a lot of people.  We are trying to spend less and so we are making whole wheat bread and egg based dishes or things like that.  We can do that, many people can't.  When we try to solve problems its important to look at the whole problem.  I love how often FJ does that, when most of the world doesn't.  

Someone had said that avocados are not actually healthy, and I had questions... I thought the type of fat was very important, and that in fact we need some "good" fat in our diet.  So substituting avocado for other fats is a good thing.  Am I wrong?  Does someone have a source?  

I think time is an important distinction, and part of my struggle with eating healthy. Lots of poor people work multiple jobs to make ends meet-and that leaves you with little time to shop, food prep or cook. For me the tough thing is I generally don't get home until 6:30 on the nights I even am at home, and by the time I get food made its so late that I end up snacking on garbage before dinner, or cooking something super fast and easy but not very healthy. If you are running around a ton from this job to that thing its tough to pack a lunch and a dinner that are healthy and can stay cold on a 12 hour day. Not to say it can't be done, its just really hard and doesn't always get prioritized. - Note -this does not really fit Jill's situation at all. 

Maybe Jill's business model is based on what worked for her parents?  Their claim to fame, food-wise, was TTC.  Jill and OfJill's situation is different and I'm not sure she has caught on to that yet.

I just finished a late dinner of fried shrimp with buffalo sauce. Not one of my favorites, but available and easy after a day of work and running errands. 

As far as Jill’s recipes go, I probably wouldn’t make any of them except for maybe the smoothie. They just don’t look appealing. I am far from a foodie, and I rather dislike cooking but try to make healthy meals for the kids. Thank god it’s finally grilling season. That expands my repertoire! 

@catlady, @The Mother Dust :greetings-waveyellow:   

2 hours ago, MargaretElliott said:

Or this....

Reveal hidden contents

Oh that is 50 million shades of wrong.

1/2 an orange or one small TANGERINE! :kitty-cussing: otherwise the smoothie recipe looks pretty good.

I was thinking that maybe they eat lots of fresh fruit and veggies and lean meat and that maybe it's hard to make a recipe out of some of it. Bowl of fruit recipe - take several kinds of fresh fruit and put them in the same bowl. Enjoy! Yay! ...But then I remembered the chicken salad recipe that had maybe 5 ingredients if you count salt and pepper.

When I was doing the fast food management thing, I didn't cook much. Something about 10+ hours on my feet. The LAST thing I wanted to see was food, period. When I switched to an office job, It took me a little while to get acclimated to being tired in a different way, mentally tired instead of physically tired. 

I've tried to avoid feeding my family crap but there are times when it's fill the gut over "healthy and nutritious". Now, things are different, and I have to try for healthy, nutritious and hopefully lower carb for the hubs. Most of the time I succeed. Tonight was egg and cheese quesadillas. 37g carbs per quesadilla. 

About bulk buying...I'm famous for overbuying. A grocery store here regularly has food marked down, so I go a little nuts. I pack the freezer with meat. I spend an afternoon or evening sorting out the meat. making burger patties, cutting meat up for stir fry or fajitas, etc. To get what I want I go to at least 2 different stores. One for the meat and another for "pantry" foods. That's what I want to get back to doing...soon. 

I can't have delicious food in my house without eating it, same goes for the freezer, so I just shop when I'm hungry and buy exactly what I am craving at that moment and nothing more. I can't shop for a week, because I don't know what I'll be craving the next time I'm hungry, and I'd end up throwing half of it away. 

Thankfully canned chicken here is a relatively “new” thing (brand name: chop chop chicken shudder). New as in the last 10yrs or so. Its also expensive $3-4/200gm can. I havent ever eaten canned chicken, can’t bring myself! 

For example I brought a cooked chicken from the supermarket for $10, this fed my family of 5 for two nights. Id have needed 4-5 cans to get the equivalent meat.

Anti-poverty measures like progressive incomes tax to reduce inequality and redistribute wealth, raising minimum wage, having a strong social safety net and so on are the most important factors for improving diet based changes and improved health indicators.

But, far from being gimmicky, and even without changing shopping/cooking time available or kitchen access, measures like community gardens and mobile food markets have been demonstrated to help improve diet and health in low income neighbourhoods: 

"Community gardens are a suggested strategy to increase fruit and vegetable availability in food deserts (Wang 2014, Corrigan 2011, Hendrickson 2006, UW IRP-McCracken 2012, CDC-Food deserts), promote healthy eating, reduce obesity (Zick 2013, IOM-Government obesity prevention 2009, TFAH-Levi 2014, CDC-Zoning healthy eating, CDC-Fruits and vegetables 2011), and improve participants’ mental health and social connectedness (George 2013)... Placing community gardens in low income areas can reduce disparities in access to healthy foods, especially fresh fruits and vegetables (Corrigan 2011, PolicyLink-Flournoy 2005). Community gardening can also reduce food costs for participating families (Algert 2014 PolicyLink-Flournoy 2005, Gilroy 2011)." 

I'm not suggesting it's a cure-all but I do think we should be moving beyond judgements on personal responsibility alone for food choice or on arguing that low income inevitably leads to poor nutrition, when policies like these work. I get a bit worked up in this topic, so sorry for nerding out in you all.

18 hours ago, albanuadh_1 said:

Did any of you eat brown sugar sandwiches as a child? Small wonder I have a mouthful of fillings. lol

White sugar, margarine, and white squishy bread sandwichs when I was a child. Sometimes, margarine and grape jelly. I didn't like peanut butter, still don't.

I use Velveeta as an adjunct to other cheeses. Not embarrased at all. But yeah, food styling is a thing. Use some paprika, parsley, something on your boring-ass chicken salad, Jill. Or better yet, get off the internet trying to represent yourself as some kind of domestic queen. I will never understand how these fundies became celebrities, they are decidely not special. 

Butter and sugar sandwiches on squishy bread were my favorite as a kid (it was probably margarine now that I think about it).  About 10 years ago I tried it again out of nostalgia, and let's just say it didn't stand the test of time.

10 hours ago, TheOneAndOnly said:

I was thinking that maybe they eat lots of fresh fruit and veggies and lean meat and that maybe it's hard to make a recipe out of some of it. Bowl of fruit recipe - take several kinds of fresh fruit and put them in the same bowl. Enjoy! Yay!

This is exactly me - almost everything I cook for myself on a day to day basis is very healthy.  But my healthy food is pretty basic and not something you'd get a recipe out of - take a bone-in chicken breast or thigh, season it with whatever sounds good, toss it in the oven.  Steam or roast a vegetable.  Bake a potato or cook some brown rice.  If I give you a recipe it's a good chance it's going to be sweets or some kind of extremely fattening appetizer (like buffalo chicken dip with canned chicken!), which are things I only make on special occasions or for parties.  But if anyone saw my recipe box they'd think I ate crap all the time because that's all that's in there.

15 hours ago, justoneoftwo said:

said that avocados are not actually healthy, and I had questions... I thought the type of fat was very important, and that in fact we need some "good" fat in our diet.  So substituting avocado for other fats is a good thing.  Am I wrong?  Does someone have a source?  

In excess, a fat is still going to make you gain weight. I had to meet with a nutritionist for diabetes counseling for gestational diabetes. I have the fortunate/unfortunate problem of not gaining weight (beyond the weight of the baby and assorted baby related fluids) when I'm pregnant, and as I'm on the skinny side to begin with I was recommended to eat a lot of avocados and nuts to avoid losing weight because they're good for the GD diet and are a healthy fat. But they are still a fat nonetheless.

9 hours ago, feministxtian said:

When I was doing the fast food management thing, I didn't cook much. Something about 10+ hours on my feet. The LAST thing I wanted to see was food, period. When I switched to an office job, It took me a little while to get acclimated to being tired in a different way, mentally tired instead of physically tired. 

I've tried to avoid feeding my family crap but there are times when it's fill the gut over "healthy and nutritious". Now, things are different, and I have to try for healthy, nutritious and hopefully lower carb for the hubs. Most of the time I succeed. Tonight was egg and cheese quesadillas. 37g carbs per quesadilla. 

About bulk buying...I'm famous for overbuying. A grocery store here regularly has food marked down, so I go a little nuts. I pack the freezer with meat. I spend an afternoon or evening sorting out the meat. making burger patties, cutting meat up for stir fry or fajitas, etc. To get what I want I go to at least 2 different stores. One for the meat and another for "pantry" foods. That's what I want to get back to doing...soon. 

I try to do the same.I look for the loss leaders at different stores.Mr Melon is prone to overbuying,so much that he avoids the store.It's helpful for me to look through my recipe books for ideas,because sometimes I get into a cooking rut.I prefer cookbooks that keep the recipes fairly simple,and much of the time,I might have all of the necessary ingredients.

Both of my parents were raised NOT eating white bread...the soft,squishy kind..with no nutritional value.My mother was German so it was rye,German wheat,pumpernickel etc.My father,I think wheat and rye...my grandmother hated white bread.She called it "wasp's nest bread" I never understood that saying...but if we were invited to come and eat with her friends..she ate it..to be polite.When I was working,I have a friend,she was raised the opposite with the bread thing,and could not fathom why I ate wheat bread or rye...lol.I told that's what I was raised with and used to.

13 hours ago, MargaretElliott said:

Or this....

Hide contents

Eeeewwww...

Do NOT post this on Bro GHaw's discussion.  We don't want to give Becky any ideas!!!

3 hours ago, PainfullyAware said:

Anti-poverty measures like progressive incomes tax to reduce inequality and redistribute wealth, raising minimum wage, having a strong social safety net and so on are the most important factors for improving diet based changes and improved health indicators.

But, far from being gimmicky, and even without changing shopping/cooking time available or kitchen access, measures like community gardens and mobile food markets have been demonstrated to help improve diet and health in low income neighbourhoods: 

"Community gardens are a suggested strategy to increase fruit and vegetable availability in food deserts (Wang 2014, Corrigan 2011, Hendrickson 2006, UW IRP-McCracken 2012, CDC-Food deserts), promote healthy eating, reduce obesity (Zick 2013, IOM-Government obesity prevention 2009, TFAH-Levi 2014, CDC-Zoning healthy eating, CDC-Fruits and vegetables 2011), and improve participants’ mental health and social connectedness (George 2013)... Placing community gardens in low income areas can reduce disparities in access to healthy foods, especially fresh fruits and vegetables (Corrigan 2011, PolicyLink-Flournoy 2005). Community gardening can also reduce food costs for participating families (Algert 2014 PolicyLink-Flournoy 2005, Gilroy 2011)." 

I'm not suggesting it's a cure-all but I do think we should be moving beyond judgements on personal responsibility alone for food choice or on arguing that low income inevitably leads to poor nutrition, when policies like these work. I get a bit worked up in this topic, so sorry for nerding out in you all.

I am interested in all the different ways in which our food options are determined by our environment and upbringing. In the county (not country, county) where I live, a lot of people are rural and have to drive 20-plus miles to get to an actual grocery store as opposed to a gas station, while people on the other side of the county have at least 5 grocery stores close by. However, a lot of the rural dwellers are living in poverty, in trailer homes or rundown old houses. Gardening takes time and expense that they don't necessarily have (seeds, plants, water, fertilizer, pesticide), and there are no government funds for something like a mobile grocery. So they buy groceries in town, where taxes are higher and the prices are inflated for tourist dollars. Produce is not cheap here, and basics like milk are very high as well.

I can see where community gardens would work well in big cities with food deserts, but in rural areas you might have to drive ten miles to the "community garden" because people are so spread out. 

13 hours ago, InTheNameofRufus said:

I just finished a late dinner of fried shrimp with buffalo sauce. Not one of my favorites, but available and easy after a day of work and running errands. 

As far as Jill’s recipes go, I probably wouldn’t make any of them except for maybe the smoothie. They just don’t look appealing. I am far from a foodie, and I rather dislike cooking but try to make healthy meals for the kids. Thank god it’s finally grilling season. That expands my repertoire! 

@catlady, @The Mother Dust :greetings-waveyellow:   

Emerging from lurkdom to say hi to my fellow Buffalonians! 

(It feels good to be out of the shadows.)

35 minutes ago, Lisafer said:

Gardening takes time and expense that they don't necessarily have (seeds, plants, water, fertilizer, pesticide), and there are no government funds for something like a mobile grocery. 

Not only that, gardening also takes a certain level of skill. My Dad was a very talented gardener, who could get almost anything to grow. He raised some cotton plants one year and peanuts another, in Northern Ohio, where these crops typically don't grow. I have a black thumb, and my home had always been where plants go to die. When I lived in the desert Southwest, I even managed to kill bougainvillea and lantana, which are almost impossible to kill. While I think, to a certain extent, gardening can be taught, I know there's some skill as well.

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived