IGNORED

Bates 24: Selling the ‘Happy Family’ Lifestyle

Jellybean

4 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I also kind of wonder about the friend Logan. He’s at the Bates home a lot hanging out with the boys but he has to notice Katie. She’s so pretty. I hate how the Bateses start so young with the courting stuff.

I don’t recall Logan, has he been on the show or just online stuff?

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, TeaELSee said:

I don’t recall Logan, has he been on the show or just online stuff?

I don’t watch the show anymore so I’m not sure about that. But he always seems to be around the Bates house according to his Instagram and the instagrams if some of the other Bateses.

I wonder if Gil and Kelly would try to stop Katie "getting to know" someone though, because with Josie engaged and Carlin courting, they will only have one "adult" daughter left in the house soon, and Addie is only 12.  I know they have hired help in the house to do the "schooling" with the Paine (?) daughter, but they've never had time without having older daughters as chief sister moms before, and it would really change the dynamic.

On the other hand, being without any peer-group sisters around must be incentive for Katie to get out of the house too, so I am fully expecting her to be courting, if not engaged, by this time next year.

(It's going to be a fascinating dynamic shift when, in 6-8 months, there's only 1 "grown up" daughter, and she just 18, but with Lawson, Trace, Nathan and the three teenaged boys at home.  Suddenly Kelly will be outnumbered by men in her household - I'd say I wonder if this means she'll be more engaged with the lost girls, but this is Kelly we're talking about, and if anything I think it'll mean Addallee and Ellie will have more responsibilities, younger than Josie and Katie (and probably Carlin) did.)

5 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I don’t watch the show anymore so I’m not sure about that. But he always seems to be around the Bates house according to his Instagram and the instagrams if some of the other Bateses.

He also has been the camera man in some of the facebook lives. Kelly even mentioned him by name on the lives and thanked him for the help.

Anyway in the last live they asked specifically if Katie was single, and they said she is.

1 hour ago, Lurky said:

I wonder if Gil and Kelly would try to stop Katie "getting to know" someone though, because with Josie engaged and Carlin courting, they will only have one "adult" daughter left in the house soon, and Addie is only 12.  I know they have hired help in the house to do the "schooling" with the Paine (?) daughter, but they've never had time without having older daughters as chief sister moms before, and it would really change the dynamic.

On the other hand, being without any peer-group sisters around must be incentive for Katie to get out of the house too, so I am fully expecting her to be courting, if not engaged, by this time next year.

(It's going to be a fascinating dynamic shift when, in 6-8 months, there's only 1 "grown up" daughter, and she just 18, but with Lawson, Trace, Nathan and the three teenaged boys at home.  Suddenly Kelly will be outnumbered by men in her household - I'd say I wonder if this means she'll be more engaged with the lost girls, but this is Kelly we're talking about, and if anything I think it'll mean Addallee and Ellie will have more responsibilities, younger than Josie and Katie (and probably Carlin) did.)

I think Kelly would figure it out. She’s not stupid. If Josie and Carlin got married by 2019 and Katie got engaged in 2019, she would teach one of the boys to cook or she would make Addy (then 13) the cook. I think she would also hire someone to clean before filming. They have money now so she can afford to pay some SAHD from another family to come clean her house every once in awhile. I also want to point out that she doesn’t have any babies or toddlers. A lot of the kids can get do things for themselves. 

6 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think Kelly would figure it out. She’s not stupid. If Josie and Carlin got married by 2019 and Katie got engaged in 2019, she would teach one of the boys to cook or she would make Addy (then 13) the cook. I think she would also hire someone to clean before filming. They have money now so she can afford to pay some SAHD from another family to come clean her house every once in awhile. I also want to point out that she doesn’t have any babies or toddlers. A lot of the kids can get do things for themselves. 

I agree that a lot of the kids can do things for themselves (there are certainly no infants left), but the main problem Kelly's gonna have once Josie and Carlin are married is mealtimes (and laundry too now that I think about it). Just think with seven married, that's still 12 kids at home plus Gil and Kelly. Imagine having to coordinate breakfast, lunch and dinner for that many people 24/7 around the clock and then cleaning up the mess after each meal.

It takes a lot, and I'd wager it's gonna be much more difficult even though there'll be less people to feed just because of the lack of single Bates girls around to do the cooking. With how busy Lawson and Nathan supposedly are I couldn't imagine either of them doing it let alone Kelly trusting them to get it done without constant supervision. I also don't think she'd expect a 12 or 13 year old Addallee to handle it all on her own. I'm thinking they'll hire a couple of young, bored fundie girls to come help out with everyday chores in the months ahead. 

1 hour ago, llucie said:

He also has been the camera man in some of the facebook lives. Kelly even mentioned him by name on the lives and thanked him for the help.

Anyway in the last live they asked specifically if Katie was single, and they said she is.

I think Katie probably is still single. Although I think they would not say if she was “getting to know” someone on TV since she’s still only 17. I just think it’s pretty likely she will end up with one of her brothers’ friends, one of her BILs’ friends, or a family friend since those are the only people she seems to be around. I know she will be going to Crown for awhile but I really wonder how much socializing they do with the opposite sex at Crown. 

With Josie working i dont think she does a lot around the house. And Katie is learning flying lessons and stuying to start the nursing school next year, so i dont know how many time she ends spending on the house.

Thats probably the real reason why Carlin had to start doing online lessons and why she is not being allowed to marry. But they say she is not mature, like they ever cared about that, and everyone thinks they are parents of the year. 

4 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think Katie probably is still single. Although I think they would not say if she was “getting to know” someone on TV since she’s still only 17. I just think it’s pretty likely she will end up with one of her brothers’ friends, one of her BILs’ friends, or a family friend since those are the only people she seems to be around. I know she will be going to Crown for awhile but I really wonder how much socializing they do with the opposite sex at Crown. 

She is not going to Crown anymore, they dont offer nursing programs there. With the flying lessons and the nursing i think maybe she is interested in missionarie work. If thats the case maybe she hopes to marry a missionarie boy. Hope it works better for her than for Jill Duggar.

17 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Has she said where she wants to study nursing? 

I haven't heard, but Crown College doesn't offer a nursing program (I just checked). However, Pellissippi Community College (same town as Crown) does offer an associate's in nursing. Michael did attend a secular community college, so maybe she'll be allowed to go. 

For  her specific situation, I'm actually happier with a two year degree. I don't think she'd make it all four years through college to be an RN without dropping out to get married. But she might be able to get a usable associate's degree. 

And put me in the camp of people who think Katie is going to get married super duper young. 

Slightly off topic but... I find the dynamic for Kelly and Michelle interesting. They start out with all the little ones train them young to be slaves and for a few years they are pretty much the queen bee. Then they slave daughters start marrying off and they are looking at having to actually be a parent and a functioning adult again or training a new daughter to do it all. But the problem is this new younger daughter grew up during "the good times" and probably won't take to it like the older ones did. 

Anyway I wonder if michelle and Kelly ever think about that. 

2 hours ago, Lurky said:

Kelly has always puzzled me in this area. She's super obsessed with her kids, especially her daughters, getting married ASAP (Gil at least seems to consider the financial arrangements). Yet, at the same time, she heavily relied on them around the house. 

Before Michael got engaged, we all suspected Kelly would try to pull a Steve Maxwell on her oldest daughter because she relied on her so much, but she didn't. Nor did she with Erin or Alyssa, who she also relied heavily on. I am interested in how their house will run eighteen months from now. Josie and Carlin will be gone, and Katie will be busy with college and, I strongly suspect, a courtship. 

Then again, Kelly Bates's matchmaking skills are the thing of Fundie legend, so I can imagine a lot of young single women would be willing to help out there for free in return for some "introductions." The Bates house is kinda like a weird nineteenth century novel in that way. 

2 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

Then again, Kelly Bates's matchmaking skills are the thing of Fundie legend, so I can imagine a lot of young single women would be willing to help out there for free in return for some "introductions." The Bates house is kinda like a weird nineteenth century novel in that way. 

Fundy legend haha I love it!

would other families really sacrifice their SAHD to them though? 

3 minutes ago, Daisy0322 said:

Fundy legend haha I love it!

If they had several older daughters and if the family wasn't wealthy, I think so. It's one less mouth for them to feed and an upwardly mobile marriage could help the whole family, through gifts, connections, and romantic prospects for the rest of siblings. 

5 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

If they had several older daughters and if the family wasn't wealthy, I think so. It's one less mouth for them to feed and an upwardly mobile marriage could help the whole family, through gifts, connections, and romantic prospects for the rest of siblings. 

I feel like we just time warped into a Jane Austen novel.

Love it guys. You are so right. I am sure lots of Fundie families would be very happy to have their daughter as a stay in maid at the Bates house, hoping to marry them off (hopefully JillR doesn’t read here). 

I strongly believe Katie is already „talking to“/ „getting to know“ someone. Since she got an public Instagram that is.

Sadly, if I were Katie, I’d be looking at all my options to get the fuck out and not be eldest daughter asap. The little bit we saw in the I Love You day episode made me feel slightly bad for Carlin. Josie has basically gotten to skip out because of her real job. Carlin has to teach/manage all the teen boys. Yuck. 

5 hours ago, nausicaa said:

I haven't heard, but Crown College doesn't offer a nursing program (I just checked). However, Pellissippi Community College (same town as Crown) does offer an associate's in nursing. Michael did attend a secular community college, so maybe she'll be allowed to go. 

For  her specific situation, I'm actually happier with a two year degree. I don't think she'd make it all four years through college to be an RN without dropping out to get married. But she might be able to get a usable associate's degree.

Pansacola Christian College might also be an option if she is going for a 4-year RN program. Not sure if the Bateses would allow her to go away to college, but if they do, PCC may just be the place they're okay with.

8 hours ago, Daisy0322 said:

I bet Jill Rodrigues, for example, would send any number of daughters off in a heartbeat! The combination of Kelly being IBLP Royalty *and* Fundy famous, plus having so many unmarried sons would be like catnip to families with too many daughters in an overcrowded house.  I'm pretty sure this is why Jill sent Nurie and Kaylee to the Pearls, and I would bet that both the Bateses and Duggars have more offers of unpaid labour than they can ever use.

I don't think mealtimes are a problem.for Kelly. These people ate nauseating food for years, I highly doubt they had changed their tastes. Sure they have more food now, even probably a bit more nutritious, but I bet these kids are preparing their own sandwiches or ordering pizzas in a daily basis. They can pick a fruit or a glass of milk and they are done. Trace and Lawson are eating out often. 

Sure the little girls clean their bedroom and middle boys also. They can use a washing machine and a dryer. 

Katie is not needed. She can go to college or marry. Kelly loooooves marrying her girls.

2 hours ago, Lurky said:

I bet Jill Rodrigues, for example, would send any number of daughters off in a heartbeat! The combination of Kelly being IBLP Royalty *and* Fundy famous, plus having so many unmarried sons would be like catnip to families with too many daughters in an overcrowded house.  I'm pretty sure this is why Jill sent Nurie and Kaylee to the Pearls, and I would bet that both the Bateses and Duggars have more offers of unpaid labour than they can ever use.

Ohh I'd pay to watch that. Actually it would be a good option for the Rod daughters, which says a lot about Jill...

But I think they'll keep Carlin for a while, that courtship won't last. As much as it sucks to be the oldest SAHD in a household like that, a couple of years as an unpaid sister mom is better than an eternity married to fundie zoolander/wannabe Lawson.

68B45827-73C0-4AAE-8D30-BD0B227D2523.thumb.png.a9b480ac178a41413ad448040cfe1432.png

Its nice to see the littles getting some fresh air and playtime and risking their lives on that death trap of a trampoline their parents insist on keeping*.

*There are holes visible in the trampoline that haven’t been patched up. 

As a kid, I got hurt on many trampolines like that. That’s why I only let them on trampolines with nets. They really should get rid of that trampoline and get a newer and safer one. They can afford it now. Back when they were poor, they had an excuse. Not anymore. 

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

As a kid, I got hurt on many trampolines like that. That’s why I only let them on trampolines with nets. They really should get rid of that trampoline and get a newer and safer one. They can afford it now. Back when they were poor, they had an excuse. Not anymore. 

To be honest kids shouldn’t really even be using trampolines, particularly small children. Their bones are too fragile for it. It’s why when I take my kids to the doctor she always says “and no trampolines.” I used to work as a gymnastics coach and kids would get hurt on the trampolines pretty often.

I imagine if a regular trampoline is unsafe it’s hella unsafe for the Bates kids to be using that piece of junk.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/473488001

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/130/4/774

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived