IGNORED

Bates 24: Selling the ‘Happy Family’ Lifestyle

Jellybean

On 6/10/2018 at 1:03 PM, Ivycoveredtower said:

I don't think the Bates Kids got Sister momed in the way the Duggar's did where the sisters did everything and were super stict ect and grew to depend on them.

No, Kelly did it more extreme than Michelle. Michelle was a "buddy" to her babies, Kelly assigned her fetuses buddies and handed them off at birth. They did everything for the buddies. She wrote about it on her old blog. Tori was 14 when Kelly was pregnant and she was the only one who knew the gender(not even Gil and Kelly knew) because she was going to be the newborn's buddy. I think it might have been Carlin who had to iron all the clothes and do something for all the little ones when she was pretty young. 

Kelly never won an involved mother of the year award. 

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

No, Kelly did it more extreme than Michelle. Michelle was a "buddy" to her babies, Kelly assigned her fetuses buddies and handed them off at birth. They did everything for the buddies. She wrote about it on her old blog. Tori was 14 when Kelly was pregnant and she was the only one who knew the gender(not even Gil and Kelly knew) because she was going to be the newborn's buddy.

Link to that one: https://web.archive.org/web/20101118055900/http://gilbatesfamily.com:80/2010/09/12/tori-14/

Also your friendly reminder that Kelly couldn't name her children when asked in an interview:
https://abcnews.go.com/US/evangelical-bates-family-20-children/story?id=12648595
Relevant quote: 

When asked to name her children, Kelly said, "Oh, Daddy's good at that. His memory's better than mine." 

Frankly I'm surprised the Bates children even know who Kelly is.

Thank you @TuringMachineWhich baby was that? Tori also got to go along on Gil and Kelly's mini-vacations so she could watch the baby when Kelly didn't need to nurse. Between the baby training methods Kelly touted and her lack of parental involvement I bet they view her as sort of a distant grandparent who lives with them.

2 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Thank you @TuringMachineWhich baby was that? Tori also got to go along on Gil and Kelly's mini-vacations so she could watch the baby when Kelly didn't need to nurse. Between the baby training methods Kelly touted and her lack of parental involvement I bet they view her as sort of a distant grandparent who lives with them.

since it was 18 that would have been Judson. which I guess makes sense from pictures of Jud crying at the wedding. I'll be honest because Up episodes are harder to find I don't see much of it. I guess we have just seen way more Duggar weddings with sobbing younger siblings then Bates weddings. it would have been interesting to see Zach Erin and Alyssa's full weddings. 

Also Kelly and Gil have admitted many times they treat the younger kids like grandkids they are in grandparent mode. as they say. 

27 minutes ago, TuringMachine said:

Link to that one: https://web.archive.org/web/20101118055900/http://gilbatesfamily.com:80/2010/09/12/tori-14/

Also your friendly reminder that Kelly couldn't name her children when asked in an interview:
https://abcnews.go.com/US/evangelical-bates-family-20-children/story?id=12648595
Relevant quote: 

Frankly I'm surprised the Bates children even know who Kelly is.

I already added the second link to the Family Summary thread, but I’m going to add that first one too. It’s a good reminder for people that Kelly and Gil are just as shitty parents as Michelle and JimBob.

The Judson picture is so heartbreaking. I have a sibling that is significantly younger than me. She was sad when I moved out, but no where close to that level.

I finally started watching last week's episode.  When Tori called the otter a seal I thought "SOTDRT strikes again".  But  then she was corrected by the guide/captain who pointed out the sea lions on the rocks and she asked "What's the difference between a sea otter and a sea lion?" I just about lost it.  My 6 yo spontaeously started laughing at her (without me saying anything).  I guess when your family has 19 kids there are no trips to zoos/aquariums because it is too $$.  The zoo in my city has free admission on Weds.  We went one day when school was off and the amount of large families there at first surprised me but then made sense.  If you have 8 kids it's very expensive to take them all to the zoo.  

1 hour ago, JMO said:

I finally started watching last week's episode.  When Tori called the otter a seal I thought "SOTDRT strikes again".  But  then she was corrected by the guide/captain who pointed out the sea lions on the rocks and she asked "What's the difference between a sea otter and a sea lion?" I just about lost it.  My 6 yo spontaeously started laughing at her (without me saying anything).  I guess when your family has 19 kids there are no trips to zoos/aquariums because it is too $$.  The zoo in my city has free admission on Weds.  We went one day when school was off and the amount of large families there at first surprised me but then made sense.  If you have 8 kids it's very expensive to take them all to the zoo.  

I’d likely react the same way as you and your son, but I also grew up a short drive from Long Island Sound and I spent my childhood summers on my parents’ motor boat. People who don’t grow up near the water like that aren’t going to be exposed to the same things I was on a regular basis. I try to keep that in mind because I’d probably look like a complete idiot to someone else for not knowing something that they consider common knowledge.

And to be fair, it sounds as if Tori was curious and wanted to hear what the difference between the two were. That’s not a bad thing at all.

well I know Kelly was trying to be cute with this post but to me it just shows that Jeb is spoiled and not made to even follow simple rules. 

@Ivycoveredtower it is normal that a 6? 7? years old kid doesn't want to share toys with a 3 year old who probably breaks them or doesn't know how to play. There are four grandchildren visiting Bates house in a regular basis, and it's not surprising that Jeb and Jud are jealous or just ignore the little ones and want to keep their toys for themselves.

I think "private property of toys" is important when families are so big that kids have no privacy, not their own room...they doesn't have even a real mom! To force them to share toys is too much, or at least it's my point of view.

1 hour ago, Melissa1977 said:

@Ivycoveredtower it is normal that a 6? 7? years old kid doesn't want to share toys with a 3 year old who probably breaks them or doesn't know how to play. There are four grandchildren visiting Bates house in a regular basis, and it's not surprising that Jeb and Jud are jealous or just ignore the little ones and want to keep their toys for themselves.

I think "private property of toys" is important when families are so big that kids have no privacy, not their own room...they doesn't have even a real mom! To force them to share toys is too much, or at least it's my point of view.

Do you really think the older kids had any say in that matter. that's my point we were talking about the high double standard that the younger kids have vs the older kids. Kelly was trying to be cute but she showed another way that her younger kids are favored. 

On 6/12/2018 at 12:47 PM, JMO said:

Personally I found that educational, though I must admit I have already forgotten the difference. I think I’ve seen them once on a trip to San Francisco, and many people don’t even get to do that. I’d hardly expect a young woman from Tennessee with minimal education to know. 

On the "rotten" thing! It's totally a southern thing. A colloquialism. It's used to describe an adorable child who can just get away with anything. A scamp. Like "Ain't he a mess?".

Kelly takes the country to the next level. 

Roll them eyes. I am. 

Does anyone know what’s going on in Lawson’s most recent Instagram story? To me it almost looks like a wedding rehearsal at an outdoor venue being filmed, but it appears to be Zach and Whitney in a circle with his and her parents, along with a line of female and male siblings/friends to either side. 

Spoiler

3088E123-B133-47BE-A00F-7D3D41BE2123.thumb.png.707b5f5615659eeed95c56d7cc71b7ca.png93D19555-FE0E-448A-B286-4458A61588A4.thumb.png.0e8119f63f02317447d7729d7604ca07.png221AA03E-6E45-4B86-9E31-A90BCF18B916.thumb.png.f0a29a183767b92cdccb5695f8911507.png

14 minutes ago, Mayluka said:

Does anyone know what’s going on in Lawson’s most recent Instagram story? To me it almost looks like a wedding rehearsal at an outdoor venue being filmed, but it appears to be Zach and Whitney in a circle with his and her parents, along with a line of female and male siblings/friends to either side. 

Hide contents

3088E123-B133-47BE-A00F-7D3D41BE2123.thumb.png.707b5f5615659eeed95c56d7cc71b7ca.png93D19555-FE0E-448A-B286-4458A61588A4.thumb.png.0e8119f63f02317447d7729d7604ca07.png221AA03E-6E45-4B86-9E31-A90BCF18B916.thumb.png.f0a29a183767b92cdccb5695f8911507.png

could it have to do with their new church project they have been building?

17 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Vow renewal?

I think it’s either that or maybe Kaci’s birthday celebration? Her bday is in a week 

On 6/12/2018 at 11:47 AM, JMO said:

But  then she was corrected by the guide/captain who pointed out the sea lions on the rocks and she asked "What's the difference between a sea otter and a sea lion?

This made me think back to when I was probably 17-18 years old. I was born and raised in Madison, Wisconsin with highly educated parents a great education and multiple trips to multiple zoos growing up.

I saw an opossum in the street when I was walking home, I ran home and told my parents to call someone because it must have escaped from the zoo. My family thought I was kidding....I was dead ass serious, I thought they were from Australia. 

They never let me live that down. I give Tori a pass!

8 hours ago, Nikedagain? said:

On the "rotten" thing! It's totally a southern thing. A colloquialism. It's used to describe an adorable child who can just get away with anything. A scamp. Like "Ain't he a mess?".

Kelly takes the country to the next level. 

Roll them eyes. I am. 

I absolutely agree...us southerners have a right colorful vocabulary that mystifies the rest of the USA. For example, if I was talking about my grandson, I'd say something like..."that boy is just rotten. I swear he's just a mess!". Translation "my grandson is the most adorable thing on the face of creation even if he's always in trouble!"

Then there's the ever popular (that you NEVER want to hear from your mama) "y'all are plucking my LAST nerve" 

Translation: someone is gonna get it because mama's had enough of our shit. 

17 hours ago, formergothardite said:

Vow renewal?

That's my guess. Whitney's biological parents weren't at her wedding, right? Maybe they wanted to have a ceremony with them there.

It would be odd timing for a vow renewal, I mean theyve only been married about 4.5 years and its not their anniversary, but I cant think of anything else. Its a pretty boring thing to film for the show too. 

So they’re at a wedding based on erin’s insta so yesterday was the rehearsal. I’m thinking we mistook the bride and groom for Zach and Whitney? I wonder who they are

8 minutes ago, VBOY9977 said:

So they’re at a wedding based on erin’s insta so yesterday was the rehearsal. I’m thinking we mistook the bride and groom for Zach and Whitney? I wonder who they are

I looks like a small wedding but if you look at Trace's insta it also looks like Alyssa is there. as he is dressed for a wedding and he's with Allie. it also has to be something for Bringing up Bates so nothing like a Duggar wedding or something because the kids keep taking bringing up Bates.  it's so small that Vow renewal really does make the most sense. or maybe second marriage. Does anyone know if Whit's Bio parents are married? 

Definitely looks like a vow renewal for Zach and Whitney. It’s hard to tell by this screenshot, but I’m almost positive it’s them. I’m glad Whitney gets a bit of a redo to do things more trendy and stylish based on how her fashion sense is now. That dress looks gorgeous. I don’t really see the point of renewing your vows after 4 1/2 years though...

5EC56743-E4C9-4048-8FBF-F22BC16ECAA9.thumb.png.6f2ff8993a4144399fdaaa8eee3ab2d5.png

Spoiler

D3690E07-4FA0-4541-B1C5-3BD50FB08427.thumb.png.be1cc7cfb7ba243f73b2b01868ec496c.png

(Sorry for the terrible quality screenshots, but Lawson zooms by them really quickly in the Instagram video).

Just saw the Facebook live. It looks like someone is getting married or like we suspect Zach and Whitney are doing a vow renewal (they weren't really clear) since Lawson was live from there. It looks like it's gonna start soon. Lawson mentioned that someone he brought to the dinner for I Love You Day again. No name though. He sure wants us to think he's in a relationship but he's probably just trolling. He also said to watch the Facebook Live next week for a big announcement.

5 minutes ago, Mayluka said:

Definitely looks like a vow renewal for Zach and Whitney. It’s hard to tell by this screenshot, but I’m almost positive it’s them. I’m glad Whitney gets a bit of a redo to do things more trendy and stylish based on how her fashion sense is now. That dress looks gorgeous. I don’t really see the point of renewing your vows after 4 1/2 years though...

5EC56743-E4C9-4048-8FBF-F22BC16ECAA9.thumb.png.6f2ff8993a4144399fdaaa8eee3ab2d5.png

Hide contents

D3690E07-4FA0-4541-B1C5-3BD50FB08427.thumb.png.be1cc7cfb7ba243f73b2b01868ec496c.png

(Sorry for the terrible quality screenshots, but Lawson zooms by them really quickly in the Instagram video).

Thanks for confirming :) I only saw the Facebook live right now but didn't catch all of it.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived