IGNORED

Bates 24: Selling the ‘Happy Family’ Lifestyle

Jellybean

13 hours ago, VBOY9977 said:

so here’s a video of Jackson driving that they didn’t show in the episode. In the talking heads, Kelly is talking about what a great driver Jackson is and how he’s super cautious, yet he’s not wearing a seatbelt, and neither is Warden. 

http://uptv.com/bringing-up-bates/bringing-up-bates-youre-in-good-hands/

Such a godly, uplifting example of how to get your kids killed (notice how Gil is the only one wearing his seatbelt?).

Seriously, fuck these people!

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like Warden is wearing a lap belt. That car is a bit long in the tooth so the middle seat probably only has a lap belt.

Jackson is definitely not wearing any sort of seatbelt though.

How stupid can those video editors at Up be? I mean seriously, putting a clip out there praising him for what a responsible and careful driver he is WHILE HE'S NOT WEARING A SEAT BELT?! Or could they not have re-shot that scene after noticing? :shakehead:

The latest episode at Myrtle Beach is refreshing because it enhances some of their stupidity.

The bike riding with no helmets for anyone. Perfect. Up has to show a crawler that everyone should wear a helmet.

(Yay Fireworks!)

The seafood restaurant. Oh ffs. Most of them had a fairly set mind going in that they were going to be grossed out. Smells, looks, etc. And you know, I get that. Lifer veg here, seafood makes me gag. I avoid it unless forced near it for social reasons. And then, gasp, I am polite.

What do the Bates do? Order shrimp, then oysters. Weird looking and then snot in a shell. They made asses of themselves. Contrived pointless and humiliating to the Bates relatives and the restaurant staff. 

When they were fishing one of the kids asked why they don’t go to the beach in the summer and Gil said there were too many people. What he really meant was too many people not following modesty rules.

6 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

The latest episode at Myrtle Beach is refreshing because it enhances some of their stupidity.

The bike riding with no helmets for anyone. Perfect. Up has to show a crawler that everyone should wear a helmet.

(Yay Fireworks!)

The seafood restaurant. Oh ffs. Most of them had a fairly set mind going in that they were going to be grossed out. Smells, looks, etc. And you know, I get that. Lifer veg here, seafood makes me gag. I avoid it unless forced near it for social reasons. And then, gasp, I am polite.

What do the Bates do? Order shrimp, then oysters. Weird looking and then snot in a shell. They made asses of themselves. Contrived pointless and humiliating to the Bates relatives and the restaurant staff. 

AliceInFundyland,I agree.You know,I understand if you don't like some food,but they were rude about it.

We sometimes joke a little bit,like I'll say "Oh,I've got some brussel sprouts,spinach or coffee ready for you"and Mr Melon will say "Oh yeah?I am just dying to have some.".

Color me  a bit shocked that the Bates went to a secular science museum.

Oh, @Melissa1977 of course many people in large US cities do not drive or own cars. Only about 25% of New York City residents have a driver's license, for example. About a third of households in Washington, DC or Boston do not have cars.

But yes, in most of the country it is virtually impossible to live without driving.

I’m completely disgusted by some meats. But I try to hide it the best I can. I would never go to a restaurant and act like a picky 5 year old. 

On 6/12/2018 at 7:56 AM, Ali said:

The Judson picture is so heartbreaking. I have a sibling that is significantly younger than me. She was sad when I moved out, but no where close to that level.

I was not sister-mommed but I cried like the world was ending when my brother left for college. Life as I knew it was over. It was a BIG deal.

14 minutes ago, nolongerIFBx said:

I was not sister-mommed but I cried like the world was ending when my brother left for college. Life as I knew it was over. It was a BIG deal.

My nephew just graduated HS and I wasn't invited. I def didn't mom him, but I babysat a lot and used to take care of him all the time. It's a big deal to me too.

Does it seem like the Bates had a falling out, or a stressed relationship  with his parents at some point in the past? I thought it was a little strange that the kids have never met Gil’s aunts. (They seemed like very nice women) I would have guessed they would have met at a holiday, wedding or funeral. 

It might just be me but I get a feeling that they reconnected with Mama Jane and Papa Bill and have grown closer over the past few years. They were never at their Valentines Day party until recently, and Gil always gets so emotional when they all see each other. The only tradition I recall them discussing was Thanksgiving at their house.

This is based on zero knowledge, just a gut feeling. I was just curious if anyone else sensed this.

15 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Oh, @Melissa1977 of course many people in large US cities do not drive or own cars. Only about 25% of New York City residents have a driver's license, for example. About a third of households in Washington, DC or Boston do not have cars.

But yes, in most of the country it is virtually impossible to live without driving.

It's *possible* in most good-sized cities if you are lucky enough to find housing close to work. I didn't want to buy a car after I left DC, and for about the first year in my new midwestern city I didn't have one. I had enough flexibility  (single, a bit of disposable income) to pick an apartment about 20 minutes away from my office by bus. Even still, everyone I worked with thought I was INSANE, and if I ever showed up late because of transit delays people thought I was just being difficult or making excuses. Then I got a different job just a few miles away that was absolutely inaccessible by transit and now I'm back on the road.

@TeaELSee you are probably right. Mama Jane and Papa Bill had clearly stated that they were horrified by such a large family (in other words for sure). Considering the poverty Bates were living on and Gil's grifting obsession, I do not doubt they used their kids to get some mama Jane money. These kind of situations cause damage to relationships, despite the love they have for each other.

Mama Jane is closed.to some of the elder grandkids, especially to Alyssa. I suppose she was happy to be a gradma until she had too many grandkids.

And well, let's no forget Bates were hardcore fundies. Maybe were uncomfortable visiting their regular conservative relatives. Gil and Kelly have relaxed a bit, but they were extremely cultish and these kind of people tend to avoid "bad influences". In fact, Gil's brother conservative family was probably considered a bunch of sinners by Kelly/Gil old standards.

I also think they have become closer with their families recently, not just Gils but Kellys too. For example now Katie seems super close with her cousin, i dont think they would allow such an influence a few years ago. They seem to have relaxed a bit, and i think their family seeing them look more normal, is easier for them to accept them (And i am sure also helps that Kelly is not having anymore kids).

Kelly has mentioned in the past that there was some friction with herself and Mama Jane when they were first married and she made it into this IBLP scenario where she found that she hadn't gotten MJ's blessing to marry her son and thus there was some issues between them of MJ letting go/being under parental authority, IIRC. I'm going to go see if I can find reference to it. 

ETA: I believe it's here. Sorry it's Embassy Media stuff you have to pay for. She talks about honoring parental authority. 

these pics are adorable. My relationship with my sis is one of the most valued relationships I have so this makes my heart a bit warmer and my eyes a bit teary. My sister and I live quite far apart and I always miss her

I see the younger girls don't have the look at someone and fake laugh post down pat yet. :laughing-jumpingpurple: That pose seems to be trending now, some people can pull it off better than others. The Bates are nothing if not photogenic. 

I'm sure some of them have really close relationship, hell some of them are basically mothers to the some of others. 

well if that's not Happy Family Lifestyle, I'll be damned :pb_rollseyes:. but actually they are all so freakin photogenic it's not even fairrrr, ugh haha. 

i always though Addee was a little miniature version of Tori, and i think in those pictures you can totally see that they have the exact same face O.o also how similar Katie and Erin look! which I hadn't thought of before. Callie is still a tiny Erin of course, though I think as she's going into that awkward all-arms-and-legs-and-elbows gangly phase of childhood she looks in the face a LOT like Nathan, and I wonder once she hits the hair-and-makeup Bates glow-up if she'll be back to mini-Erin again.

8 hours ago, Oh_Dear! said:

these pics are adorable. My relationship with my sis is one of the most valued relationships I have so this makes my heart a bit warmer and my eyes a bit teary. My sister and I live quite far apart and I always miss her

I glanced at this real quick when I looked at Carlin’s Instagram earlier and I was super confused for a few seconds - I thought Carlin had joined a Sorority or something. It looks like a stereotypical photo a Sorority might take to attract new pledges. :pb_lol:

(Disclaimer: I wasn’t in a Sorority, but have nothing against them at all.)

As someone who was in a sorority, tsk tsk @VelociRapture - if that was a rush photo their outfits would be color coordinated :pb_lol: 

Alpha Omega (gotta mention the man upstairs) Bates-a perhaps?

^ haven't you heard the (KKG) kappa rap? sororities were HUGE at my college and *everyone* made fun of the "blue is our color, blue is our other color!" thing lol

I remember the first time I did a staged photo in my sorority but it was hard to get them to laugh to get the staged part down so I made one of my sisters do a funny laugh and the photo it was such a great one it made it to our nationals!

But I also really like this photo just from a genetic standpoint where you can see how different and alike they all love from one another. It just so fascinating to me. Also, I don't know how I'm just realizing but it didn't hit me that Whitney is the only sister-in-law.

2 hours ago, pandora said:

As someone who was in a sorority, tsk tsk @VelociRapture - if that was a rush photo their outfits would be color coordinated :pb_lol: 

Alpha Omega (gotta mention the man upstairs) Bates-a perhaps?

As a fellow sorority girl I'd have to add no one is throwing the hand signs and sorority girls know to cross thier legs at the ankle for pictures haha. 

What do you think rush would be like for AOB? Or thier spirt cheers? 

A-Oooooooooo-B

If the one for you is HE

then you pledge A-O-B

we garentee a MRS. Degree

babies? By 20, you'll have 3!

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived