IGNORED

Bates 24: Selling the ‘Happy Family’ Lifestyle

Jellybean

I agree with previous posters, vow renewal after 4.5 years is pretty strange, but maybe it really is because of the parents. I just can't believe that she is confident enough to wear that dress in front of the Bates and that Zack is totally fine with it! REMEBER THE FRUMPERS! What a change! I do think Gil and Kelly secretly hate it though. 

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tori and Bobby had their gender reveal today according to Lawson’s IG story, so I’m fairly certain that will be the big announcement next week.

Spoiler

A62AEE52-C98C-4C28-873D-7DDE7F7F07A1.thumb.png.c9ac810df3e2f79ccde3c9d0e61121f3.png

9D900696-6007-4994-854A-8B18515F175F.thumb.png.2530db90761d02a103ac3ce14c451cd5.png

23 minutes ago, crazysnark said:

Like I said in the Zach and Whitney thread, a vow renewal only five years in and NOT on your anniversary is either because on of them cheated, or they are "repenting"  for not trusting the Lord with children. If UP wanted to film a filler episode of a vow renewal it would be of Gil and Kelly not Zach and Whitney 

ah I don't know I think Up Realizes that the young married couples and the courting couples is what draws people in people really don't care what Kelly and Gil are doing. remember when Jim Boob and Michelle did that horrible renewal. I'm sure UP didn't want something that ended up like that. 

Zach and Whit are young and Vibrant and Up never got to film their wedding actually they are the only couple that didn't have a filmed wedding. Cherin was on 19 kids and Alyssa and John were on an ABC news special. 

5 minutes ago, Mayluka said:

Tori and Bobby had their gender reveal today according to Lawson’s IG story, so I’m fairly certain that will be the big announcement next week.

Hide contents

imageproxy.php?img=&key=eb941d1cec36b5e7A62AEE52-C98C-4C28-873D-7DDE7F7F07A1.thumb.png.c9ac810df3e2f79ccde3c9d0e61121f3.png

9D900696-6007-4994-854A-8B18515F175F.thumb.png.2530db90761d02a103ac3ce14c451cd5.png

ugg if Alyssa is right I guess this will be Granddaughter number 7 still hoping it's a boy. 

34 minutes ago, Chocolatecheesecake said:

I agree with previous posters, vow renewal after 4.5 years is pretty strange, but maybe it really is because of the parents. I just can't believe that she is confident enough to wear that dress in front of the Bates and that Zack is totally fine with it! REMEBER THE FRUMPERS! What a change! I do think Gil and Kelly secretly hate it though. 

Well if she is not pregnant then the only other reason i can think of is that she really hated the winter wedding and wanted it in spring this time. I think wanting to have her biological parents present is a good reason for a vows renewal. I wonder if Alyssa will want one too now, her wedding was more awful, and she too has grow a lot in style.

Maybe she just wanted the climb the ranks “Totally Subjective Wedding Dress” thread. Couldn’t stand being so low on everyone’s lists. 

On 6/13/2018 at 11:43 AM, Ivycoveredtower said:

Do you really think the older kids had any say in that matter. that's my point we were talking about the high double standard that the younger kids have vs the older kids. Kelly was trying to be cute but she showed another way that her younger kids are favored. 

I disagree with this. I wouldn’t ever want to be in the younger half of a family that size. She didn’t ever do any of the actual mothering, how can she possibly favor them? She’s just lazy and those kids lack attention now that their buddies are gone. 

8 minutes ago, Illmarryyoujana said:

I disagree with this. I wouldn’t ever want to be in the younger half of a family that size. She didn’t ever do any of the actual mothering, how can she possibly favor them? She’s just lazy and those kids lack attention now that their buddies are gone. 

see I'd rather be a younger kid. the older kids didn't get any more real attention from her then the younger kids do. and the attention they did get was strict do as I say or else, at least the younger kids get the oh you're so cute attention. they get presents were the older ones had to make do with hand me down mostly. they get more freedom just wait by the time Callie gets to be courting age there will be no more courtship. they don't have to be second parents the way the older kids did. and they will never know the poorer side of life their older siblings did. 

27 minutes ago, LegHumperBibleThumper said:

Maybe she just wanted the climb the ranks “Totally Subjective Wedding Dress” thread. Couldn’t stand being so low on everyone’s lists. 

It was a nice dress but as just a vow renewal dress I don't think I'll personally consider it when thinking about Bates Wedding dresses. LOL 

2 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

see I'd rather be a younger kid. the older kids didn't get any more real attention from her then the younger kids do. and the attention they did get was strict do as I say or else, at least the younger kids get the oh you're so cute attention. they get presents were the older ones had to make do with hand me down mostly. they get more freedom just wait by the time Callie gets to be courting age there will be no more courtship. they don't have to be second parents the way the older kids did. and they will never know the poorer side of life their older siblings did. 

It was a nice dress but as just a vow renewal dress I don't think I'll personally consider it when thinking about Bates Wedding dresses. LOL 

My perspective coming from a strict home is this—being the eldest often sucks. But then you leave home and have your own life. You think the kids are fine, but then they become teenagers and you realize how traumatic your leaving was for them and it breaks your heart. You leave thinking it’ll be easier for them. That you took the brunt, but the small cute ones will be fine. But then they’re left alone and they get older. The parents are used to the way *you* were as an adolescent and don’t know how to handle this kid from a different part of the generation or a whole new one all together. It’s hard for the younger ones too.  I don’t think those kids get enough attention. I think the grandkids get most of it now because they’re smaller. They don’t have mom. They don’t have big sister. It must be scary and confusing for them. And once the cameras leave, who knows what their life will be like. It’s all just my perspective though, it’s fine to have your own. Maybe if someone writes a tell all one day, we’ll know where the truth really lies ha 

9 hours ago, crazysnark said:

Like I said in the Zach and Whitney thread, a vow renewal only five years in and NOT on your anniversary is either because on of them cheated, or they are "repenting"  for not trusting the Lord with children. If UP wanted to film a filler episode of a vow renewal it would be of Gil and Kelly not Zach and Whitney 

Or they're wanting to a 5 year renewal and in order to air it near their actual anniversary UP needed to film it now and it will air as if it's their actual 5 year anniversary and not that it was filmed 'out of order'?

Plus odds are decent we could see another Bates wedding in December that they wouldn't want to detract from if they really want a renewal, so in real time there's no 'competition'.

Also it's basically giving UP something else to fill time/episodes before the inevitable J/K and C/E weddings which will likely happen in real time later this year, thus giving a 'wedding' (of sorts) during a chunk of time UP wouldn't otherwise have that 'draw' and will probably be depending on the engagements since we will probably see A/J and C/E have the babies sort of ending things w/ that and the T/B pregnancy reveal on the show.

Maybe also helping 'compete' content/interest wise with the inevitable next Duggar season will be filled with a bunch of new babies and  J/L's wedding prep/wedding.

I can see vow renewals being big in fundielamd because so many of these couples got married way too young. They invited a ridiculous amount of people and did things to please their parents (because they were still technically children living at home). They may have had a small budget because one or both are teens marrying and may have had very short engagements. So the planning was fast and they probably settled. Once they are married they are more likely to know what they like and are mature enough to plan a wedding they want without the influence of others (like their parents and siblings). 

Mainstream couples don’t usually have these issues because they aren’t as young as fundies, have lived independently, and don’t have to rush to the wedding three months after the engagement. 

14 hours ago, crazysnark said:

I agree with this for the most part...mainly I think they'll be "re dedicating" their marriage to God. If it was the tenth anniversary I wouldn't think much of it or if they were just having an anniversary party I could see that too. It's strange though the timing and the enormity of the shindig 

i wonder if the timing of this is actually a hint that josie or carlin is engaged. ie, zachney wanted to do a 5 year wedding renewal but they already have another wedding on the calendar around that time and didn't want to steal their thunder, so they went with 4.5 years.  or she's pulling a jrod and is actually pregnant and just wanted to fit into her dress. 

They obviously planned the gender reveal for the same time as the vow renewal. Those will be two separate episode of BUB. That way Alyssa and Michael could be at both. 

This is so ridiculous. They have nothing else to do but generate an extra wedding? There has to be more to it that. Please, let there be more to it than that.

15 hours ago, Illmarryyoujana said:

It’s hard for the younger ones too.  I don’t think those kids get enough attention

ITA. In many ways it would be much harder to be a younger one. The young ones lost their mothers and were left with two adults who have no interest in them. They are going to bear the brunt of their parents exploiting them on television. Their lives have to be on the chaotic side with little real parental relationships now that the sister moms are getting married. And if reality television stops filming them who knows what their lives will be like. Sure they get more freedom, but at the same time they get a childhood of instability and the trauma of losing the person they viewed as a parent. 

2 hours ago, formergothardite said:

ITA. In many ways it would be much harder to be a younger one. The young ones lost their mothers and were left with two adults who have no interest in them. They are going to bear the brunt of their parents exploiting them on television. Their lives have to be on the chaotic side with little real parental relationships now that the sister moms are getting married. And if reality television stops filming them who knows what their lives will be like. Sure they get more freedom, but at the same time they get a childhood of instability and the trauma of losing the person they viewed as a parent. 

Yes, exactly!! I’m definitely on the same page as you. 

Was anyone else bothered during the Valentines party when Katie got her pizza “gift” from Trace and everyone just lunged in and grabbed a piece without even asking her?  Jebus it was her friggen gift.  Poor kid also asked for Ramen noodles for a gift...  

i have nothing against ramen noodles but it’s not exactly a splurge, however, I’m sure her family will help themselves to that too.

it just surprised me that they had no consideration for Katie and that they are so used to grabbing food they do it even when being filmed. I would be so ashamed if my kids acted like that.

20 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I can see vow renewals being big in fundielamd because so many of these couples got married way too young. They invited a ridiculous amount of people and did things to please their parents (because they were still technically children living at home). They may have had a small budget because one or both are teens marrying and may have had very short engagements. So the planning was fast and they probably settled. Once they are married they are more likely to know what they like and are mature enough to plan a wedding they want without the influence of others (like their parents and siblings). 

I completely agree with all of this.  I think about the two oldest Rodrigues girls, who are going to be married in hand-me-down dresses from random people, that they didn't even get to choose, as an example (and their younger sisters will probably have those dresses handed down again), or Anna Duggar in her home-made dress, or the likes of Joy Duggar, whose whole dress-choosing experience so obviously involved nothing she actually wanted.   And the older Bates daughters had that stupid thing of choosing a dress they liked and then having to have a cheap t-shirt top stitched in, to fit their parents' ridiculous standards, where it's more "modest" to pick an immodest dress and adapt it, than it is just to buy a dress with sleeves in the first place...

And then the pressure a Fundy bride must feel - knowing they're going from side-hugs only to full-on sex in a matter of hours, followed by moving from being in a mega-family to living with just one person, who's a total stranger, in a house they're now solely responsible for, with the likelihood of a honeymoon baby.  A vow renewal, where the focus is just on loving their partner, in a dress they've chosen, in a setting they've chosen etc etc seems like a positive thing to do, in the circumstances.

1 hour ago, Lurky said:

I completely agree with all of this.  I think about the two oldest Rodrigues girls, who are going to be married in hand-me-down dresses from random people, that they didn't even get to choose, as an example (and their younger sisters will probably have those dresses handed down again), or Anna Duggar in her home-made dress, or the likes of Joy Duggar, whose whole dress-choosing experience so obviously involved nothing she actually wanted.   And the older Bates daughters had that stupid thing of choosing a dress they liked and then having to have a cheap t-shirt top stitched in, to fit their parents' ridiculous standards, where it's more "modest" to pick an immodest dress and adapt it, than it is just to buy a dress with sleeves in the first place...

And then the pressure a Fundy bride must feel - knowing they're going from side-hugs only to full-on sex in a matter of hours, followed by moving from being in a mega-family to living with just one person, who's a total stranger, in a house they're now solely responsible for, with the likelihood of a honeymoon baby.  A vow renewal, where the focus is just on loving their partner, in a dress they've chosen, in a setting they've chosen etc etc seems like a positive thing to do, in the circumstances.

Remember Michelle wearing her future mother in laws dress? She got at married at 17 and the summer after she graduated from high school. Of course she wanted a vow renewal with a dress of her own. I’m pretty sure Anna wore her sister Rebekah’s dress. I would say that dress is cursed. Rebekah is divorced and well, we know how Anna’s marriage has gone so far...

7 hours ago, TeaELSee said:

Was anyone else bothered during the Valentines party when Katie got her pizza “gift” from Trace and everyone just lunged in and grabbed a piece without even asking her?  Jebus it was her friggen gift.  Poor kid also asked for Ramen noodles for a gift...  

i have nothing against ramen noodles but it’s not exactly a splurge, however, I’m sure her family will help themselves to that too.

it just surprised me that they had no consideration for Katie and that they are so used to grabbing food they do it even when being filmed. I would be so ashamed if my kids acted like that.

Remember Allie Jane's birthday, Alyssa was making chocolate dipped strawberries for the party and they were all grabbing the berries and eating them... Alyssa was like "STOP!" but they didn't care.

5 hours ago, Lurky said:

This whole paragraph gave me chills. Maybe last year it was, I read an anthropology book that focused on the lives of Victorian upper class women. There's many parallels. There were many writings on the shock they faced, the men were even told that their new bride might even faint when they find out what sex actually entails. The women, from the journal entries I read, were often times very confused and shaken up from the experience.  Many of the men however knew "their way around a women" from visiting prostitutes. 

3 hours ago, HermioneSparrow said:

Remember Allie Jane's birthday, Alyssa was making chocolate dipped strawberries for the party and they were all grabbing the berries and eating them... Alyssa was like "STOP!" but they didn't care.

Ugh my WHOLE. FAMILY. is like this! It stems from there not being enough food to go around in past generations but it got past down and now it's just in the culture. 

2 hours ago, Daisy0322 said:

This whole paragraph gave me chills. Maybe last year it was, I read an anthropology book that focused on the lives of Victorian upper class women. There's many parallels. There were many writings on the shock they faced, the men were even told that their new bride might even faint when they find out what sex actually entails. The women, from the journal entries I read, were often times very confused and shaken up from the experience.  Many of the men however knew "their way around a women" from visiting prostitutes. 

Ugh my WHOLE. FAMILY. is like this! It stems from there not being enough food to go around in past generations but it got past down and now it's just in the culture. 

Oh, I want the title of that book, please? :)

I went to a Thai restaurant once with some friends for my birthday. We ordered shared dishes, and only chose things that everyone could eat (There is one now couple who are particularly terrible people and made this process very difficult.)

The food comes out and some people started very greedily scooping up some large portions, forgetting that the dishes were for everyone. By the time I and several others was finally given several of them, all the meat was gone and we had to eat the vegetables (They don't eat "rabbit food" but i quite enjoy it). We said "Guys don't forget these are for everyone don't take to much", and at the end they complained they were still hungry!

Come the next day (my actual birthday), they message me and ask if i also got food poisoning. No happy birthday/hope your okay or anything like that. 

I guess what I'm trying to get at is their greedy food grab got them what they deserved! 

7 hours ago, Daisy0322 said:

Can I have the title of the book, please? Sounds like something I would enjoy reading. 

5 hours ago, Thorns said:

Oh, I want the title of that book, please? :)

8 minutes ago, KelseyAnn said:

Can I have the title of the book, please? Sounds like something I would enjoy reading. 

Here it is! (Don't mind the baby seat in the background sorry!)

IMG_4676.JPG

IMG_4677.JPG

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived