IGNORED

Bates 24: Selling the ‘Happy Family’ Lifestyle

Jellybean

It looks like that photo is coordinated, at least Bates PR level. They are all bluish and white and muted. Except Tori in  pink in the back, and then Alyssa’s shoes. Which reminds me of old photos where they were forcced to match and she’d somehow stick out, or maybe one photo. Vague about where that impression comes from.

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like how they include Whitney in their sister photos. She seems very close with at least some of them. 

Katie looks so much like Erin these days that I sometimes have a hard time telling them apart. 

And whoever mentioned Jana and Nathan in a same sentence a couple of pages back, yeah, I could totally see them together. He wants a country girl and she wants a country boy with dirt under his nails. But during all the years they've known each other, nothing has happened between them (as far as we know), so they probably aren't interested in each other. And quite frankly, I'm glad they aren't. Let's hope Jana ends up with someone a bit more open minded who will encourage her to continue with her own interests (gardening etc.).

1 hour ago, LurkerOverThePond said:

I like how they include Whitney in their sister photos. She seems very close with at least some of them. 

Katie looks so much like Erin these days that I sometimes have a hard time telling them apart. 

And whoever mentioned Jana and Nathan in a same sentence a couple of pages back, yeah, I could totally see them together. He wants a country girl and she wants a country boy with dirt under his nails. But during all the years they've known each other, nothing has happened between them (as far as we know), so they probably aren't interested in each other. And quite frankly, I'm glad they aren't. Let's hope Jana ends up with someone a bit more open minded who will be ok with her wearing her hair however she damn well pleases and won’t act like a controlling asshole if she wants to wear it pulled up for their wedding!

Fixed it for you! :pb_lol:

Yeah... the little prick is never living that one down. 

On 6/24/2018 at 11:40 AM, candygirl200413 said:

These are the same people that let their kids ride bikes without helmets in the past episode so of course, they'd have this ratty old trampoline. 

My kids do this sometimes, and I don’t feel that bad about it. A short ride down the street  a few houses away to a friend’s... eh.  I don’t insist. A longer ride, different story.  But absolutely no  trampolines here. 

3 hours ago, QuiverDance said:

My kids do this sometimes, and I don’t feel that bad about it. A short ride down the street  a few houses away to a friend’s... eh.  I don’t insist. A longer ride, different story.  But absolutely no  trampolines here. 

Growing up, my mom was militant about us wearing helmets on our bikes or roller skates at all times. I hated it when I was younger, but then I lost a classmate in 8th grade because he wasn’t wearing a helmet.* Admittedly that’s a pretty extreme situation. It definitely changed my perspective on it, though I respect not everyone will agree with that completely. 

But I totally agree on no trampolines. I had fun playing on them as a kid, but it’s one of those things that just makes me cringe as a parent now. The Bateses trampoline is a complete death trap. I’m honestly surprised none of the kids have gotten hurt on it yet. 

*He was playing with friends near one of their houses on a scooter, he fell off, and his head slammed into the curb. Unfortunately, there was nothing that could be done for him. It was absolutely horrible and has really colored my view on how I intend to raise my daughter. 

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

Growing up, my mom was militant about us wearing helmets on our bikes or roller skates at all times. I hated it when I was younger, but then I lost a classmate in 8th grade because he wasn’t wearing a helmet.* Admittedly that’s a pretty extreme situation. It definitely changed my perspective on it, though I respect not everyone will agree with that completely. 

But I totally agree on no trampolines. I had fun playing on them as a kid, but it’s one of those things that just makes me cringe as a parent now. The Bateses trampoline is a complete death trap. I’m honestly surprised none of the kids have gotten hurt on it yet. 

*He was playing with friends near one of their houses on a scooter, he fell off, and his head slammed into the curb. Unfortunately, there was nothing that could be done for him. It was absolutely horrible and has really colored my view on how I intend to raise my daughter. 

This is very sad. I do not mind taking my lumps on this particular issue.   Obviously people will disagree. But I see older kids riding helmetless frequently and just do not think a lot of it or judge their parents. Helmets are actually a pretty controversial subject among cyclists. The evidence re: how much helmets actually help to prevent injuries for cyclists  is not exactly conclusive, either.

That said, it sounds like it could’ve helped in this case with the child in the scooter.

When I say I have let my kids (who are older) ride briefly without their helmets,  I literally mean a few yards. Not on trails, in traffic, on hills, or in busy areas, etc.  when they were very little and wobbly, or if they were on an extended ride,  this would not even be  a consideration.  I just think there are times when it is fine to relax that rule a tad.

17 minutes ago, QuiverDance said:

This is very sad. I do not mind taking my lumps on this particular issue.   Obviously people will disagree. But I see older kids riding helmet less frequently and just do t think a lot of it or judge their parents. Helmets are actually a pretty controversial subject among cyclists. The evidence re: how much helmets actually help to prevent injuries for cyclists  is not exactly conclusive, either.

That said, it sounds like it could’ve helped in this case with the child in the scooter.

When I say I have let my kids (who are older) ride briefly without their helmets,  I literally mean a few yards. Not on trails, in traffic, on hills, or in busy areas, etc.  when they were very little and wobbly, or if they were on an extended ride,  this would not even be  a consideration.  I just think there are times when it is fine to relax that rule a tad.

Yeah. I figure it’s one of those things I can’t really judge*. Not everyone is going to feel the same way I do about helmets because not everyone will have had the same experiences as me. I can’t really judge so long as the people involved are being safe and not acting recklessly (and it does sound like you’re being pretty reasonable about it all.)

*I didn’t see the Bates clip mentioned, so I’m not sure of the context there. It wouldn’t shock me if they weren’t being safe in addition to not using helmets though. 

26 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Yeah. I figure it’s one of those things I can’t really judge*. Not everyone is going to feel the same way I do about helmets because not everyone will have had the same experiences as me. I can’t really judge so long as the people involved are being safe and not acting recklessly (and it does sound like you’re being pretty reasonable about it all.)

*I didn’t see the Bates clip mentioned, so I’m not sure of the context there. It wouldn’t shock me if they weren’t being safe in addition to not using helmets though. 

Nor I.  I don't watch it anymore because I no longer have cable.  I have seen some of the episodes online, but I'm just ... not that interested.

8 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I mean, they let their 15-year-old son drive a car without wearing his seatbelt, soooo....

27566832-8125-4307-B6F1-F9B95F941563.thumb.jpeg.0f9392594325fddf158e7465c7929a1c.jpeg

Dear Kelly,

I know it’s tough for you to keep track of all your kids and grandkids, but that’s Zoey Joy with Michael not Lexi Mae. 

(I know, I know... it was likely an honest mistake involving cut and paste. But this is the same woman who wouldn’t even try naming all her kids in an interview because she didn’t think she could, so...)

People are already correcting in the comments now too! But I don't think it would have been a copy and paste issue unless she had this already written in her phone?

Complaint alert.

I just watched the last episode, I was more annoyed than usual.

Whoever said they don’t care about safety is correct. Gil was using a circular saw with the 2 youngest boys and they were wearing sunglasses instead of safety goggles. I’m pretty sure that they only wore those because they were filming.  It’s better than nothing but that is not proper protection.

I can’t with Nathan...  he said he was glad his little sisters are learning how to sew so they could mend his clothes.  What 20-something year old man counts on his 8-11 year old sisters to sew his pants?  He has no idea how weird that is.

This show is so boring.

On 7/9/2018 at 5:44 PM, QuiverDance said:

My parents refused to buy a trampoline. I befriended more than a few kids in elementary school purely on the basis that their parents let them have a trampoline in the backyard. Most turned into real friendships, but a few kids were just my Trampoline Sugar Daddies. 

I thought it was a very dull episode.  Maybe the only interesting thing was the Tori/Bobby update that we knew anyway while they scrubbed the church. It was nice to see he knew how to use cleaning product. 

But Gil with the power tools and those little boys! And Jeb nearly falling to his death with GIl on the other end of the seesaw was the first time I've ever seen Kelly move that fast.  The girls learning to sew so they could someday make some money doing it? Wasn't that what Kelly said? It just made me shake my head. And oh my god Nathan...

Best. Grandma. Ever.

Then again she doesn't even know her kids' names.

9 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

My parents refused to buy a trampoline. I befriended more than a few kids in elementary school purely on the basis that their parents let them have a trampoline in the backyard. Most turned into real friendships, but a few kids were just my Trampoline Sugar Daddies. 

"I was twelve. He had a ping pong table. I would have been friends with Stalin if he had a ping pong table!" 

14 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

My kids definitely have these, and I HATE IT.  LOL.   Those things are broken arms waiting to happen!

7 hours ago, BeccaGrim said:

I thought it was a very dull episode.  Maybe the only interesting thing was the Tori/Bobby update that we knew anyway while they scrubbed the church. It was nice to see he knew how to use cleaning product. 

But Gil with the power tools and those little boys! And Jeb nearly falling to his death with GIl on the other end of the seesaw was the first time I've ever seen Kelly move that fast.  The girls learning to sew so they could someday make some money doing it? Wasn't that what Kelly said? It just made me shake my head. And oh my god Nathan...

Given what people charge around here for upholstery, drapery, and custom bedding projects, I imagine those girls could make very decent money sewing!  It's a great idea.  If I knew how to do it, I would 100% quit lowering and start a decorating business.  No joke. 

15 hours ago, TeaELSee said:

Complaint alert.

I just watched the last episode, I was more annoyed than usual.

Whoever said they don’t care about safety is correct. Gil was using a circular saw with the 2 youngest boys and they were wearing sunglasses instead of safety goggles. I’m pretty sure that they only wore those because they were filming.  It’s better than nothing but that is not proper protection.

I can’t with Nathan...  he said he was glad his little sisters are learning how to sew so they could mend his clothes.  What 20-something year old man counts on his 8-11 year old sisters to sew his pants?  He has no idea how weird that is.

This show is so boring.

I am horrified, but I also laugh because I sat around with my dad in his woodshop doing all sorts of dangerous shit with sawdust flying everywhere and no protective gear whatsoever.  Of course that was in the 1970s and 1980s.  

Nowadays, we are so much more careful.  My daughter has a chemistry set, and we won't even let her do the simplest experiments without eye protection, gloves, and hair and foot covers, just so she will know what it feels like to dress for "experiments."

5 hours ago, nausicaa said:

"I was twelve. He had a ping pong table. I would have been friends with Stalin if he had a ping pong table!" 

Really great first line of a novel.  Annnnnnnnnnnnd GO!

Spoiler

169BEB63-4C32-4438-9F04-19564AAD494A.gif.5b70a23185bad37cdd6bc09c3e04d082.gif

2 minutes ago, Pete Pickles said:
  Reveal hidden contents

169BEB63-4C32-4438-9F04-19564AAD494A.gif.5b70a23185bad37cdd6bc09c3e04d082.gif

UGH I’m bad at technology. Can’t figure out how to type after I’ve put in a spoiler. 

Anyway, I didn’t even watch the episode today because I saw this and had to share it with everyone I know because LOLOLOL!

(like I said...I didn’t watch, so I truly hope the kid wasn’t hurt. It’s not funny if he was.)

I bet Erin and Alyssa are so happy when Michael comes to visit. They know she will take one of their babies so they can get a break. And Ellie (who seems to be a little Michael) will grab the other. 

TBH since they are not geting a good education in other areas i am happy they at least get to learn usefull skills like sewing. I always found absurd that they say woman should be homemakers and all that but then none of them know how to cook, how to sew or how to do anything around the house at the time they marry. Like is not sewing and cooking like basics in homemaking? why are the girls not learning that to begin with if they future is to be stay at home moms?

4 hours ago, llucie said:

TBH since they are not geting a good education in other areas i am happy they at least get to learn usefull skills like sewing. I always found absurd that they say woman should be homemakers and all that but then none of them know how to cook, how to sew or how to do anything around the house at the time they marry. Like is not sewing and cooking like basics in homemaking? why are the girls not learning that to begin with if they future is to be stay at home moms?

It appears they break the household duties up between the eldest daughters. Each daughter is responsible for a different household chore, like Alyssa doing ALL of the cooking when she lived in her parents’ house or Jinger Duggar being responsible for all the laundry at her parents’ house. Each of the daughters ends up being fairly skilled in a specific area, but they also appear to need time after marriage to strengthen the skills they didn’t have much time to focus on as well. A good example is Erin being teased prior to marriage for being a poor cook, but becoming a proficient and good cook after she married.  

It'd make more sense to me to rotate the jobs so each child (because sons should know how to do this shit too!) has an opportunity to develop decent skills in all areas, but that may not be as easy in mega families like the Duggars and Bateses.

I was appalled that Gil let those little boys so near his power tools when he was building the see saw and that no one wore safety goggles.

Michael seems to enjoy sewing and babysitting for everyone.  She is capable at many things, and I wish she could get a job and use those skills. She must be bored out of her mind hanging out at home all day even though she has her online business selling baby blankets and such.

2 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

It appears they break the household duties up between the eldest daughters. Each daughter is responsible for a different household chore, like Alyssa doing ALL of the cooking when she lived in her parents’ house or Jinger Duggar being responsible for all the laundry at her parents’ house. Each of the daughters ends up being fairly skilled in a specific area, but they also appear to need time after marriage to strengthen the skills they didn’t have much time to focus on as well. A good example is Erin being teased prior to marriage for being a poor cook, but becoming a proficient and good cook after she married.  

It'd make more sense to me to rotate the jobs so each child (because sons should know how to do this shit too!) has an opportunity to develop decent skills in all areas, but that may not be as easy in mega families like the Duggars and Bateses.

Actually it was Michaella who did all the cooking, or at least thats what Zach Bates says in the latest video they uploaded of him talking about her (you can find the video in the last post of batesfamilyblog). Maybe Alyssa did the cooking after Michaella left. Doesnt seem to me that they rotate, basically Michaella was little mom and the rest helped a bit.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived