IGNORED

Bates 24: Selling the ‘Happy Family’ Lifestyle

Jellybean

7 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

How do they have 19 children, let them do dangerous shit, and all the children are still healthy and alive? 

14C3C45A-5062-45E0-955C-02A992082E7C.jpeg

Luck pure and simple. 

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

Luck pure and simple. 

But I’m sure they think it’s god.

Not that it was a good idea but we used to do that all the time as teens except we'd go roof, trampoline, pool. I don't know how we're all still alive. 

45 minutes ago, Kelsey said:

Not that it was a good idea but we used to do that all the time as teens except we'd go roof, trampoline, pool. I don't know how we're all still alive. 

My house doesn't have a pool, and my parents got rid of our trampoline in my early teens. So unless I go to a house that has those things and the host lets me use them (for that purpose) within the next year, it'll be something I've never done as a teen.

But I guess it's okay, because I don't even want to imagine how livid my parents would be if I jumped off the roof for anything.

2 hours ago, agentshade said:

My house doesn't have a pool, and my parents got rid of our trampoline in my early teens. So unless I go to a house that has those things and the host lets me use them (for that purpose) within the next year, it'll be something I've never done as a teen.

But I guess it's okay, because I don't even want to imagine how livid my parents would be if I jumped off the roof for anything.

never jumped off a roof. climbed on a few in my youth. plus I did the whole trampoline into the pool move a time or two. 

On 7/15/2018 at 1:48 AM, VelociRapture said:

Alyssa states she started cooking for the entire family when she was only 12. Michael was responsible for all the family sewing and laundry.

Cooking for more than 15 people at the age of 12 seems unimaginable for me. And back then their money was really tight. 

Do you think she also had to do the meal planning to make their small income work? Or was this something Kelly did besides having sweet fellowship with Gil to produce the next little arrow.

By the way - did you see Jinger's comment here: https://web.archive.org/web/20100920000213/http://gilbatesfamily.com:80/2010/09/12/alyssa-15/ 

They've both come a loooong way when it comes to fashion and style.

4 minutes ago, ophelia said:

Cooking for more than 15 people at the age of 12 seems unimaginable for me. And back then their money was really tight. 

Do you think she also had to do the meal planning to make their small income work? Or was this something Kelly did besides having sweet fellowship with Gil to produce the next little arrow.

By the way - did you see Jinger's comment here: https://web.archive.org/web/20100920000213/http://gilbatesfamily.com:80/2010/09/12/alyssa-15/ 

They've both come a loooong way when it comes to fashion and style.

I'm sure it was just a rolling base of the same meals over and over and Lawson not Gil paying for them by the time Alyssa was cooking. 

@ophelia I remember their nasty old recipes. Most involved no cooking at all (for example fake pizza that was bread with ketchup and cheese, etc). I suppose that if Alyssa cooked pasta or beans, someone stronger helped her with the massive pot I suppose they used.

I wonder if they daily cooked just 1 real meal, and the other meals were a sandwich or cookies or things like that.

8 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

@ophelia I remember their nasty old recipes. Most involved no cooking at all (for example fake pizza that was bread with ketchup and cheese, etc). I suppose that if Alyssa cooked pasta or beans, someone stronger helped her with the massive pot I suppose they used.

I wonder if they daily cooked just 1 real meal, and the other meals were a sandwich or cookies or things like that.

I remember the first time the Bates went to Alyssa and John's after they were married and Kelly was looking at Alyssa's tiny pots and showing how big there pots were oh and then Carlin dropped a whole loaf of Garlic bread on the floor and still insisted on cooking it even though Alyssa told her to throw it away. 

37 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

Yes, their nasty recipes. Now I remember them as well. No wonder a lot of the Duggar and Bates girls suck at cooking. They might have provided meals for their huge crowd when they were teenagers, but that never really involved any cooking. The Bontragers seem to be one the few mega families that we discuss here that provide real food to their family (and judged from their pictures the food looks delicious!).

Concerning the whole "garlic-bread-incident" - Alyssa's kitchen looked so immaculate in that episode that I'd probably have eaten the garlic bread after I dropped on the floor. The 3 second rule, you know (and they don't have any pets..so yes.)

3 hours ago, ophelia said:

Yes, their nasty recipes. Now I remember them as well. No wonder a lot of the Duggar and Bates girls suck at cooking. They might have provided meals for their huge crowd when they were teenagers, but that never really involved any cooking. The Bontragers seem to be one the few mega families that we discuss here that provide real food to their family (and judged from their pictures the food looks delicious!).

Concerning the whole "garlic-bread-incident" - Alyssa's kitchen looked so immaculate in that episode that I'd probably have eaten the garlic bread after I dropped on the floor. The 3 second rule, you know (and they don't have any pets..so yes.)

I suspect that the Bontragers having a Mennonite background means they are much more able to cook large healthy meals from their garden. That’s the problem with these fundies who suddenly adopted this quiverful life. They didn’t grow up in large families so they have no idea how they work. They don’t know how to have a garden for a large amount of people. They don’t know how to cook large healthy meals. The Bontragers do because it’s been in their family for generations. Both of their parents come from large families. They know how to cook from scratch. They know how to keep a garden and cook from it. The Bates and Duggar families were just winging it for a long time. 

Interesting they let Evan in the photo even though they're not engaged yet.  Or maybe they are. 

We've seen jokes about how Erin and Tori didn't know how to cook when they got married, Tori was frustrated trying to boil a bag of frozen green beans on their honeymoon and wanted to add dressing to them. I imagine most of their recipes were a version of

1. Open can of ___(chilli/tomato sauce/cream of mushroom soup/cream of chicken soup/cooked chicken/etc)___

2. Add in 1 or 2 of the following: canned or frozen vegetable, seasoning packet or powder, another sauce/condiment (mustard, mayo, etc), cheese

3. Pour over ___(biscuits/noodles/tater tots/powder potatoes/rice)__

4. Put in oven or crockpot

Here's some recipes on their blog, the "Bates family sauteed chicken" is featured, that seems to be the "special" recipe: https://www.batesfamilyblog.com/p/recipes.html

Via Pinterest and UpTV, I also found this old recipie, no longer on the Up website, mentions canned chicken and somehow velveeta in a chicken noodle soup?

image.png.a14057a5c43b78ca8f226e172aa49d04.png

4 hours ago, BeccaGrim said:

Interesting they let Evan in the photo even though they're not engaged yet.  Or maybe they are. 

Oh I'm sure Carlin would have thrown the bitch fit of all bitch fits if Evan was excluded. they have to do some to placate her since they let Josie and Kelton leap frog over her in the line to marriage. 

posting this not for the pictures which we've already seen or similar but for Kelly's caption to the pictures. 

11 hours ago, freethemall said:

Via Pinterest and UpTV, I also found this old recipie, no longer on the Up website, mentions canned chicken and somehow velveeta in a chicken noodle soup?

A couple years ago I was watching Trisha Yearwoods cooking show and I gagged when she put cheese chunks in her chicken soup recipe. I wonder if it’s a southern thing?  

Trisha should stick to singing, her recipes are pretty bad.

8 hours ago, TeaELSee said:

A couple years ago I was watching Trisha Yearwoods cooking show and I gagged when she put cheese chunks in her chicken soup recipe. I wonder if it’s a southern thing?  

Trisha should stick to singing, her recipes are pretty bad.

I like the show. Her recipes are so classic Southern that I’ve never bothered buying her cookbooks. Food is a matter of local culture and personal taste. I don’t remember her putting cheese in chicken soup, and that’s not a common Southern thing. 

We discussed the weird "train" walking a while back and I couldn't find any evidence of it, but here it is! They made their children, even the teens, walk through stores like that. It was ridiculous. 

56 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

We discussed the weird "train" walking a while back and I couldn't find any evidence of it, but here it is! They made their children, even the teens, walk through stores like that. It was ridiculous. 

It would cement the fact that you were just a number in a line of children. 

4 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

I like the show. Her recipes are so classic Southern that I’ve never bothered buying her cookbooks. Food is a matter of local culture and personal taste. I don’t remember her putting cheese in chicken soup, and that’s not a common Southern thing

I found the recipe, it calls for velveeta!  I was horrified when I watched this episode so when I saw the Bates recipe I had a flashback.

Food Network link

I haven’t watched her show in a long time.

3 hours ago, formergothardite said:

We discussed the weird "train" walking a while back and I couldn't find any evidence of it, but here it is! They made their children, even the teens, walk through stores like that. It was ridiculous

They did an entire episode on it. Season 1 episode 4: Training up Bates. 

Training up Bates

On 7/19/2018 at 6:36 PM, Ivycoveredtower said:

Luck pure and simple. 

One of the boys,either Warden or Isaiah had a few accidents,when he was much younger.I think it was Isaiah.I think Kelly mentions it on her old blog.We're talking life threatening accidents.

1 hour ago, melon said:

One of the boys,either Warden or Isaiah had a few accidents,when he was much younger.I think it was Isaiah.I think Kelly mentions it on her old blog.We're talking life threatening accidents.

you're right I remember reading that I feel like it was Isiah because I feel like they brought up his middle name  being Courage in the story. 

6 hours ago, justmy2cents said:

That "train" makes it obvious that Ellie is a very tall girl.

The largest age gap in children is between Ellie and Callie. They are over 2 years apart. That gap is when Kelly has multiple miscarriages. So although Ellie will probably be one of the taller Bates girls and Callie one of the shorter ones, it’s partly due to the age difference. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived