IGNORED

Bates 24: Selling the ‘Happy Family’ Lifestyle

Jellybean

1 hour ago, llucie said:

Actually it was Michaella who did all the cooking, or at least thats what Zach Bates says in the latest video they uploaded of him talking about her (you can find the video in the last post of batesfamilyblog). Maybe Alyssa did the cooking after Michaella left. Doesnt seem to me that they rotate, basically Michaella was little mom and the rest helped a bit.

It's definitely been stated by the family, as well as by Alyssa herself, that Alyssa was the one in charge of the cooking before she got married. She left the home before Michael, so maybe it was the other way around and Michael took over after Alyssa left?

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, VineHeart137 said:

It's definitely been stated by the family, as well as by Alyssa herself, that Alyssa was the one in charge of the cooking before she got married. She left the home before Michael, so maybe it was the other way around and Michael took over after Alyssa left?

@llucie Yep. Exactly this.

Alyssa married in late May 2014. Michael married in mid-August 2015. Michael does seem to have started doing the bulk of the cooking after Alyssa left. I think Tori or Carlin took over after Michael got married. 

Here is an ABC article from August 2011 about the Bates family:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/tennessee-family-20-relies-thrift-teamwork-make-ends/story?id=14364190

Alyssa states she started cooking for the entire family when she was only 12. Michael was responsible for all the family sewing and laundry.

6 hours ago, llucie said:

Actually it was Michaella who did all the cooking, or at least thats what Zach Bates says in the latest video they uploaded of him talking about her (you can find the video in the last post of batesfamilyblog). Maybe Alyssa did the cooking after Michaella left. Doesnt seem to me that they rotate, basically Michaella was little mom and the rest helped a bit.

I remember one show when Michaela had all the kids go outside and pick berries so she could make muffins, pie or something. They were all sad because she was moving and she wouldn’t be making this for them anymore.  Whatever she made they made it sound like she did it frequently.  

She did work as a nanny full time so she wasn’t home all day. Maybe she was more of a baker and Alyssa was more of the cook?

Well if thats the case they contradict themselves, because you can listen to the video i mentioned and Zach clearly says Michella was the cook, and that they loved her because of that...

10 hours ago, TeaELSee said:

I remember one show when Michaela had all the kids go outside and pick berries so she could make muffins, pie or something. They were all sad because she was moving and she wouldn’t be making this for them anymore.  Whatever she made they made it sound like she did it frequently.  

She did work as a nanny full time so she wasn’t home all day. Maybe she was more of a baker and Alyssa was more of the cook?

I think Michaella was the cooker most of the times, the Bates like to make stuff up all the time to look better, at the time that Alyssa said that they were trying to portrait her as very mature ant thats why she married so young...im not saying she never cooked anything at 12 years old. I think she probably started to cook at that age (true) but not all the time and not every meal like she makes it seem...

They could also be lying now about Michaella, but for some reason i think Zach is being genuine, of all the Bates he seems the more sincere in the show. And also seems like he spill the beans on accident, like they asked him about his sister and he talked what he remembered most about her, he probably dont remember what they said about it in the show a long time ago.

12 hours ago, TeaELSee said:

She made blackberry cobbler.She said Kelly taught her to make cobbler,when she was 5 or 6.

5 hours ago, llucie said:

I think Michaella was the cooker most of the times, the Bates like to make stuff up all the time to look better, at the time that Alyssa said that they were trying to portrait her as very mature ant thats why she married so young...im not saying she never cooked anything at 12 years old. I think she probably started to cook at that age (true) but not all the time and not every meal like she makes it seem...

No, she was the primary cook. It stated that on their original blog. 

https://web.archive.org/web/20100920000213/http://gilbatesfamily.com:80/2010/09/12/alyssa-15/

She is also our primary cook.

This was when she was 15. In either another blog post, comment, show, or interview they did it was mentioned Alyssa became the primary cook when, I think, she was 12. 

Most likely Michael was the primary cook after Alyssa left and before Alyssa was trained to do so. 

Tori was in charge of the laundry and raising a newborn at 14.

https://web.archive.org/web/20100918142945/http://gilbatesfamily.com:80/2010/09/12/tori-14/

tackling the huge task of laundry master! She will be the newest baby’s partner when it arrives and is currently the only person that knows the gender of baby #18!

Another little thing I noticed, the old blogs always say Nathan was going to be a preacher. He actually traveled at some points and preached as a teen. Wonder what happened there. 

Nathan has accepted God’s call to preach and uses every opportunity to study and develop messages. After graduating, his plan is to attend Crown College to pursue his degre

@formergothardite, I'm just going to be a totally snarky bitch and assume Nathan didn't like having to preach on a schedule. He may have enjoyed traveling more with Lawson. I'm having a hard time being in way positive about or patient with certain members of the Duggars and Bates clan. I will pause before I start a mindless rant. 

Michael loved kids, so likely she was potty training all the kids that Kelly wasn't raising. Alyssa was for sure the cook until she left. I don't think she enjoyed it, but she did it. 

6 hours ago, formergothardite said:

https://web.archive.org/web/20100920000213/http://gilbatesfamily.com:80/2010/09/12/alyssa-15/

This was when she was 15. In either another blog post, comment, show, or interview they did it was mentioned Alyssa became the primary cook when, I think, she was 12. 

Most likely Michael was the primary cook after Alyssa left and before Alyssa was trained to do so. 

https://web.archive.org/web/20100918142945/http://gilbatesfamily.com:80/2010/09/12/tori-14/

Another little thing I noticed, the old blogs always say Nathan was going to be a preacher. He actually traveled at some points and preached as a teen. Wonder what happened there. 

You haven't heard his sermons?On a woman's hairstyle or her wedding dress?

He reminds me of Gil in the picture of him preaching as a teen. 

MG_0965_thumb.jpg  

Nathan participates in ministry opportunities, preaching at nursing homes and various churches.  We are thankful for his calling and his desire to serve the Lord.

2 hours ago, formergothardite said:

He reminds me of Gil in the picture of him preaching as a teen. 

MG_0965_thumb.jpg  

Yeah, I'm sure nursing homes love him too. They seem like the type that love to be preach at by younger people. 

Joining in on the helmet discussion. I having it drilled into my head growing up that you should wear a helmet when on a bike ride saved likely saved my life.

I have to admit that I rarely wore my helmet when on my bike and rollerblading. Despite my mother drilling into my head to wear one, and sun screen. Although most of the time the neighborhood was a square shape with no type of bumps in the road and just under a mile. So I was really cocky when on my bike, at least up until I stopped using it around age 15.

When I moved off campus during my third year I brought my bike with me. Thanks to the subtitle reminders about wearing a helmet crept in. I could only picture how things would have been. Since wearing a helmet was what might have saved my life.

At 21, I got into a bad accident. The accident involved going over the handle bars into a brick wall head first. It was also the first time I broke a bone knowingly. The helmet prevented things from being much worse then what it was.

19 hours ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

@formergothardite, I'm just going to be a totally snarky bitch and assume Nathan didn't like having to preach on a schedule. He may have enjoyed traveling more with Lawson. I'm having a hard time being in way positive about or patient with certain members of the Duggars and Bates clan. I will pause before I start a mindless rant. 

Maybe he was not making enought money doing it? i am always surprised that so many people can make a living on preaching. Anyway he can still do it too nowadays and they simply prefer to dont focus on that on the show, since being a pilot seems much more nice and worldy. Lets hope he keeps being a pilot instructor and doesnt become one of those pilot missionaries in Africa.

I think it depends how you ride your bike. I’m from Holland, we ride our bikes for transportation and literally everywhere (school, gym, work, supermarket, bar) and definitely without a helmet (unless you’re on a racing bike, but then you go fast). Here it is not weird at all to see people completely dressed up on there bike (think heels, formal dresses, suits, black tie). The national cycle association actually is against requiring helmets, because people would ride there bike way less. (Which would have longterm health effects)

9 hours ago, Dutchie said:

I think it depends how you ride your bike. I’m from Holland, we ride our bikes for transportation and literally everywhere (school, gym, work, supermarket, bar) and definitely without a helmet (unless you’re on a racing bike, but then you go fast). Here it is not weird at all to see people completely dressed up on there bike (think heels, formal dresses, suits, black tie). The national cycle association actually is against requiring helmets, because people would ride there bike way less. (Which would have longterm health effects)

I'm sure that people being more used to/proficient at riding bikes and drivers being used to bicyclists helps a lot.

Here in the States, I remember hearing a news report a few years ago about a group of motorcyclists who were protesting new helmet laws, and at an event they were holding as part of their anti-helmet campaign, the leader of the group crashed his motorcycle...and died on the scene of massive head trauma because he wasn't wearing a helmet. 

11 hours ago, Dutchie said:

Also important, we have separate lanes for cyclists, which means that cyclists and other forms of traffic, such as cars, are generally separated, which makes cycling a lot safer. 
Between age 10 and 12, generally the year before they go to high school Dutch kids also all have to take a "traffic safety" exam on their bicycles. The bicycle is the primary means of transportation for school kids. Primary school is usually close by, at most 10 minutes by bicycle, and during the first years of school parents cycle to school with their kids, so the kids learn how to cycle safely. Secondary school is usually a bit further away, and kids are expected to cycle to school by themselves at that age. To ensure their safety, and the safety of other people on the road, all kids are required to take a traffic safety exam on their bicycle.

5 hours ago, Marly said:

Also important, we have separate lanes for cyclists, which means that cyclists and other forms of traffic, such as cars, are generally separated, which makes cycling a lot safer. 
Between age 10 and 12, generally the year before they go to high school Dutch kids also all have to take a "traffic safety" exam on their bicycles. The bicycle is the primary means of transportation for school kids. Primary school is usually close by, at most 10 minutes by bicycle, and during the first years of school parents cycle to school with their kids, so the kids learn how to cycle safely. Secondary school is usually a bit further away, and kids are expected to cycle to school by themselves at that age. To ensure their safety, and the safety of other people on the road, all kids are required to take a traffic safety exam on their bicycle.

That's actually the huge problem here in NYC, the city installed all these bike lanes and city bikes but most people that rent them don't know how to properly use them on a busy street. My hatred for all things bike related has risen a lot in the last couple of years. It just seems like most don't even bother with the separate lanes and just get in the way which causes a lot of traffic. No ones required to take safety classes and no one follows the rules. It's a also a huge pain in the ass cuz the new city bike stations take up precious parking spots that are already limited.

On 7/14/2018 at 9:54 AM, VelociRapture said:

It appears they break the household duties up between the eldest daughters. Each daughter is responsible for a different household chore, like Alyssa doing ALL of the cooking when she lived in her parents’ house or Jinger Duggar being responsible for all the laundry at her parents’ house. Each of the daughters ends up being fairly skilled in a specific area, but they also appear to need time after marriage to strengthen the skills they didn’t have much time to focus on as well. A good example is Erin being teased prior to marriage for being a poor cook, but becoming a proficient and good cook after she married.  

It'd make more sense to me to rotate the jobs so each child (because sons should know how to do this shit too!) has an opportunity to develop decent skills in all areas, but that may not be as easy in mega families like the Duggars and Bateses.

Either that or STHU about how great and better their way of doing things is; lose the " we're oh so superior to everyone else mantra."

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Either that or STHU about how great and better their way of doing things is; lose the " we're oh so superior to everyone else mantra."

This ×1 biiilllliiioooon! I am to the point of feeling extra stabby in regards to the Duggars and Bates attitudes. They never failed to be extra proud (that's a sin you Gothardites, a biiiiggg one) about how righteously superior they are to the rest of us. There have never apologized for mistakes, acknowledged their legalism and fundamentalism, or in any way shown an ounce of humility or self-reflection. I am just done with all 800 hundred of them and counting. (I'm still hoping for the best for the younger generation. It's just feels like lately so many of them have bern sitting on my last nerve,)

I have a helmet/bike riding story as well!  I was riding with my bro when my foot slipped off the pedal into the front wheel, lodging into the support that holds the wheel on.  This obviously stopped the bike immediate and I did an aerial cartwheel then slid about 10 feet along the pavement.  I had a huge black eye and was picking gravel out of my face for weeks afterwards, but I can't imagine what would have happened if I hadn't had a helmet on.   

On 7/15/2018 at 7:47 PM, Carm_88 said:

Michael loved kids, so likely she was potty training all the kids that Kelly wasn't raising. Alyssa was for sure the cook until she left. I don't think she enjoyed it, but she did it. 

EXACTLY! Michael was mom. Alyssa could avoid a ton of baby/kid tasks by cooking. 

On 7/15/2018 at 2:29 PM, formergothardite said:

wasn't that the whole point of Nathan getting his pilots  licence so he could go off and preach in far away places. 

more family pictures taking during the time on the farm. 

and one more pic this one posted by Carlin

How do they have 19 children, let them do dangerous shit, and all the children are still healthy and alive? 

14C3C45A-5062-45E0-955C-02A992082E7C.jpeg

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived