IGNORED

Seriously, Steve?

Palimpsest

Why would Joseph doubt he'd be where he is today in business if he were a sports fan? 

Steve has convinced his kids that they can't do anything half way.  Any hobbies or interests away from God will consume them 24/7 they believe. 

He projects his own OCD onto everyone else. 

Edited by kpmom
Forgot a word
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 5

Steve would totally put a "MY SON ISN'T A SPORTS FAN" bumper sticker on his car :P

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

On 12/28/2018 at 8:32 PM, CyborgKin said:

Steve would totally put a "MY SON ISN'T A SPORTS FAN" bumper sticker on his car :P

Nah.  It would be a "JESUS SAVED MY SON FROM BEING A SPORTS FAN" sticker.

Steve was four days late putting his latest article up on Titus2 this week.  I only just saw it because it wasn't there yesterday.  Tut, tut, Stevie.

I grew up in the typical worldly home, and that was topped off by my parents getting a divorce. I was the average lazy teenager. I spent my time in the most fun way. That was my life until after the Air Force, two years of college, and one year of marriage. Then the Lord saved Teri and me. Our world changed. Hallelujah!

As others have said, stop whining about your not-Christian-enough childhood home and the divorce, Steve.  You are a big boy now, so suck it up buttercup.

It occurs to me that I have never heard Steve's conversion story, although his children know it by heart.  He just says they were "saved" in college.   I wonder who converted them.  There's a sprinkling of Jim McCotter "Blitz Movement"in his theology, and that was big on college campuses back then.  McCotter is responsible for converting Geoff and Vicki Botkin.  But, unlike McCotter, Steve is not big on outreach; he only tries to convert fellow Christians to his better form of Christianity.  There is also some obvious Gothard influence - and a whole lot of Steve's own issues with the really extreme sheltering stuff.

Come on Steve, spill.  How exactly did you and Teri get saved?

Teri and I surrendered our lives and home to the Lord and grew in Him. Life was refreshing. Raising our children, we made some nontraditional choices in how we, as a family and as individuals, spent our time. We felt Scripture taught us that our time was precious and to be used in edifying ways.

Lots of Family Bible Time, lots of prayer, and many hours whiting out the words of popular Christian songs.  And non-traditionally homeschooling children and taking them out of sports ...

There was some risk with these decisions as we raised our children in our understanding of the nurture and admonition of the Lord. It was possible as adults they might have said they wished for sports and lots of entertainment like other kids.

They still might.  Give them time.

Imagine my joy this week to hear one of my sons, almost 30 years old, say, “I’m glad that I am not a sports fan. I would much rather spend time with my wife and children. I also doubt I would be where I am at with my business.”

I'm sure this was during Family Bible Time when they went around the room asking everyone to give reasons why they were grateful to Steve  God.

Because sports fans would never, ever, watch sports with their wives and children? Being a sports fan and spending time with family are always mutually exclusive.   I wonder whether Joseph would be further along than where he is "at" with his business if he spent less time reading the Bible for the Nth time and meditating upon his own superiority.  And perhaps his grammar might have been better if he had not been taught by Sarah, who was taught by Teri.

Dad’s, I encourage you to pursue the Lord with all your heart, soul, mind and strength.

“And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him” (Colossians 3:17).

Yeah, yeah.  

ETA.  No apostrophe required in the underlined, Steve.  You are aiming for a plural not a possessive.  Or was that a Freudian slip?

Edited by Palimpsest
  • Upvote 13
  • Thank You 3

So, one of Steve's sons would rather be with his wife and children than be a sports fan?  My husband and children come with me to rugby matches, travelling there and back is prime chat time (without the pressure of 'face to face' but being in the car means no escape either) and our love of rugby gives us something fun in common.  That said, Steve would seriously disapprove of me - I'm university educated, wouldn't home ed if you paid me, work outside the home and my husband does NOT manage/boss me - I must be beyond redemption at this point!

• Upvote 9
  • Love 2

The thing is Smug Joe isn't a sports fan because Coward Steve never allowed him the opportunity to be.  My parents never liked sports but they never tried to take that away from me probably because they raised me to be part of the world and there would have been a battle royale if they had.  Now back to the Vikings-Bears game.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 3

I have never been a sports fan. My father however is.  If I were to ever get married & have kids I would have no problem with sports. 

Edited by Jana814
  • Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@SPHASH,  you can be a sports fan without turning into a superfan:

ftr we do not all talk like that.

I hate sports, yet I have Ditkas autobiography on my bookshelf.  the shelf below the one holding the Bible.

I don't read either one.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 4

Doesn’t St. Paul write of the Christian life as running a race?  Oo, when Steve dies, he’s gonna find St. Paul in heaven and school that guy!!! 

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 5

15 hours ago, Syriana said:

something fun in common. 

There lies the problem for the old man. The  "f word." Can't be having any of that in Maxhell.

• Upvote 7

On 12/30/2018 at 8:35 PM, HerNameIsBuffy said:

ftr we do not all talk like that.

I hate sports, yet I have Ditkas autobiography on my bookshelf.  the shelf below the one holding the Bible.

I don't read either one.

You made me wonder where I was keeping my Bible...

It's in the drawer with my sex toys.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 9
  • Love 1

On 12/30/2018 at 11:55 PM, MamaJunebug said:

Doesn’t St. Paul write of the Christian life as running a race?  Oo, when Steve dies, he’s gonna find St. Paul in heaven and school that guy!!! 

Maybe that's why his kids are allowed to run (not official, just their own) 5k races?

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, kpmom said:

Maybe that's why his kids are allowed to run (not official, just their own) 5k races?

I do believe you’ve got it, Professor Higgins. 

Just think: unless they’ve been really sly, no Maxdult has even seen, nor heard, nor heard of “My Fair Lady.”

Nor of “Pygmalion.”

And yet they walk among us. Weird. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 2

19 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

Just think: unless they’ve been really sly, no Maxdult has even seen, nor heard, nor heard of “My Fair Lady.”

Nor of “Pygmalion.”

And yet they walk among us. Weird. 

That reminds me of Chelsy's story of how John was so surprised when she said "Tradition!" (in answer to something or another), like they say it in Fiddler on the Roof.

He said his grandmother says it like that too, and I think Chelsy had to explain to him where it comes from. 

• Upvote 7
  • WTF 3
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, kpmom said:

That reminds me of Chelsy's story of how John was so surprised when she said "Tradition!" (in answer to something or another), like they say it in Fiddler on the Roof.

He said his grandmother says it like that too, and I think Chelsy had to explain to him where it comes from. 

I had forgotten about that!!

Gigi must be anectremely strong woman, to be able to live adjacent to that mess for the last 35+ years. Her restraint in not just piling the kids into the car and treating them to the Starlight open-air reoertorybthester in KC is phenomenal.

I’m sadly sure  that she and Poppop (RIP, can’t tenember his grandpa name) were well aware that their grandparents rights would’ve been gone forever had they ever dated such s thing, though. Thank heaven for Aunt Tami, Teri’s non-extremist sibling.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, MamaJunebug said:

I’m sadly sure  that she and Poppop (RIP, can’t tenember his grandpa name) were well aware that their grandparents rights would’ve been gone forever had they ever dated such s thing, though. Thank heaven for Aunt Tami, Teri’s non-extremist sibling.

I have to agree with you. I have always felt they may not have agreed with how Steve & Teri were raising the kids but didn’t say anything because they might have been worried if they said anything they wouldn’t be allowed to see the kids. 

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

I get the impression that Steve's kids may be missing out on something that is an important part of the relationship between my sisters and I. Pop culture references!

We were all three, with our mom, riding around playing Pokemon Go a couple days ago (family time!) and of course, talked with each other the whole time. There must have been 1000 references to movies, songs, etc. that came up and made us all laugh. Someone said a new pokemon looked like a scorpion, and my sister whistled the first three notes of "winds of change" by the Scorpions. Someone said we needed to go back the way we came, and we all echoed "the way we came" which I think is from Interview with the Vampire. I can't even think of them all, but it was hilarious and weird and our mom didn't get over half the references, but laughed with us because it was fun. We watched so many movies together as kids, and as a family. Often we'd be playing with other things with the TV on a movie or MTV in the background. We listened to tons and tons of music. We  (well, the middle sister and I) read books voraciously, whatever we could get our hands on. We also went swimming all summer, played outside, rode bikes, got so dirty we had to be hosed off before coming in the house, etc. 

The shared experiences and FUN we had are so much a part of our communication still. We can all still sing every song from Grease 2 and The Pirate Movie, we can all recite all the dialogue in The Princess Bride right along with the movie, etc. We know each other's preferences and the things we like, and are always texting each other things we see that we know one of the others might enjoy.

Maybe Steve's kids can do something similar with hymns and bible verses (which we ALSO can do - our mother played piano in the church we grew up in and we were there constantly), but I wonder what their relationships are really like, especially between the oldest and youngest groups. Their life just seems so bland and grim.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 7

My late husband and I watched baseball all the time, although we were on opposite sides of the fence(I’m a Yankees fan and he liked the Mets—the 2000 World Series was WAR at our house! :pb_lol:)

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • Love 4

19 hours ago, smittykins said:

My late husband and I watched baseball all the time, although we were on opposite sides of the fence(I’m a Yankees fan and he liked the Mets—the 2000 World Series was WAR at our house! :pb_lol:)

We watch Sunday football together as a family all the time.  It's one of our favorite things to do, and we miss it when the season is over. 

Steve assumes the dad watches sports and ignores his wife and kids.  It's not necessarily true in many homes.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4

One of my cousins came over yesterday to help me with techy stuff. He was talking football and also going to a basketball game last night with his youngest son. 

He, my cousin, owns his own environmental engineering business. He started out in the Marines, worked for others for several years, and now in his mid-40's is about 5 years into his own business. He raised two sons. He's married. He played football in high school and is still in an adult soccer league (we tease him because it's the over 40 league and we call it the old man's club, even though he is not the oldest amongst those of us who call it that). He's a football fan, to the last. He also actually has his pilots license, which I just remembered as I was typing this out, although since starting his business he's cut back on flying. He spent his earlier adult years being pretty into it - while still raising a family and working a job and owning his home (although I don't think it's debt free - the heathen that he is, they have a mortgage). 

Anyway - how did my cousin's sports involvement and enthusiasm hurt him? How does it hurt anyone else who isn't obsessive and can manage to be responsible adults yet still go to a football or baseball game, or worse, play? 

It doesn't make you special that you or your family don't care about sports. It doesn't make you better than anyone and it doesn't make you any more successful. It makes you an obsessed, damaged blow-hard with major control issues who looks down on everyone and anyone who can actually manage several aspects of life and responsibility. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

Yep, @fundiefan.  Steve's all-or-nothing attitude results in strictures for all and fun for nobody. 

I wonder if the family walk around in a constant state of tension lest they do anything wrong.  Honestly, after lifetimes of knowing nothing but Steve’s strict, narrow path, they may not even think about stepping a tie out of line.

And...that’s what Steve has worked for, so ...

• Upvote 9
  • Sad 1

Steve loves the false dilemma. His kids can be sports fans or they will spend time with their family. He can have cake or be on a diet. They can sing a popular song or they can love the lord baby Jesus. He forgot the other options in life. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 7

On 12/30/2018 at 3:08 PM, Palimpsest said:

Imagine my joy this week to hear one of my sons, almost 30 years old, say, “I’m glad that I am not a sports fan. I would much rather spend time with my wife and children. I also doubt I would be where I am at with my business.”

So...is this why the Maxwells don't hang out with the Duggars anymore? Because those fallen heathens WATCH FOOTBALL? 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 7

A lot of business happens over sporting events. A lot of people entertain clients or potential clients by playing golf or going to professional sporting events. These events help people attract and retain clients. They help create, maintain and cement professional relationships. I am not a big sports person but I go because i know its important. My team at work has a friendly hockey pool going on as a team building exercise. His kids are missing out professionally by not being able to watch or participate in sports. 

My nephews love when their grandparents or aunt go to their soccer games or swimming lessons or when we ski go skiing. It matters to them and we talk about it. It is a family bonding thing too. 

Steve, as always, has his head up his butt.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 3

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic