IGNORED

Alyssa & John: Life With Three Daughters

Jellybean

3 minutes ago, HermioneSparrow said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Little mommy? But I thought Alyssa was going to let her daughters be tomboys and become engineers or whatever the hell they wanted to. ?

They aren't mutually exclusive.

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

They aren't mutually exclusive.

In OUR world, no. Those girls won't be engineers, accountants or any other career than their designated role of mothers, nothing wrong with being a mom if you choose it but we all know how it goes with fundies. The whole 'little mommy' thing is completely ridiculous, she's three years old for fucks sake.

1 minute ago, HermioneSparrow said:

In OUR world, no. Those girls won't be engineers, accountants or any other career than their designated role of mothers, nothing wrong with being a mom if you choose it but we all know how it goes with fundies. The whole 'little mommy' thing is completely ridiculous, she's three years old for fucks sake.

Mileage varies.  Fundies use figures of speech like everyone else and that's how this read to me.

I'm not saying they don't have horrible beliefs...I'm just saying this innocuous comment isn't indicative of anything.  My opinion, of course.

From my experiences with fundies, I actually don't think this is just a figure of speech. It might be used casually, but it's indicative of their real beliefs. They start early talking about how important it is for girls to be mothers and praising little girls for maternal behavior. You can't assume that it's as innocent as it would be if a non-fundie said it.

9 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

From my experiences with fundies, I actually don't think this is just a figure of speech. It might be used casually, but it's indicative of their real beliefs. They start early talking about how important it is for girls to be mothers and praising little girls for maternal behavior. You can't assume that it's as innocent as it would be if a non-fundie said it.

I agree. If it were someone I knew personally I likely wouldn’t think much of it because I don’t know anyone who could be classified as Fundie. But a comment like that from a member of the Bates or Duggar family* will always get at least a second glance from me due to what we know of their beliefs. 

(Members who haven’t publicly renounced the beliefs they were raised with, which John and Alyssa have not done. It’s possible they will someday, but until then I’m going to proceed under the assumption that they still believe the same things they were raised with.)

Alyssa must have gotten the memo about interacting with her followers because now she's doing a gift card giveaway (and Jill Duhlard is in the comments trying to win...lol)

6 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Alyssa must have gotten the memo about interacting with her followers because now she's doing a gift card giveaway (and Jill Duhlard is in the comments trying to win...lol)

Alyssa’s own siblings are in the contest (I saw Carlin, Josie, Trace and Lawson)...

3 minutes ago, VBOY9977 said:

Alyssa’s own siblings are in the contest (I saw Carlin, Josie, Trace and Lawson)...

Social awareness doesn't exist in Fundieland

Is it just me, but despite having the look (cute, tiny, fashionista and product user), Alyssa really doesn't strike me as having the best marketing personality or voice. She presents as flat and monotone. Although from a distance, she does appear to be the perfect package. The voice is a real turn off. This is my BEC for today.

Re: Alyssa's new career doing social media promotions

It would help if in her shilling videos/stories, she would look even slightly enthused about the stuff she's promoting. Anyone else feel like she's obviously reciting a script? Now and then she forces a smile but otherwise she looks miserable and forced in her promotion of the various monthly boxes that she supposedly "loves".

@SassyPants you and I are clearly thinking the same thing at the same time, I posted then saw your response. Different words but same idea.

Just now, freethemall said:

Re: Alyssa's new career doing social media promotions

It would help if in her shilling videos/stories, she would look even slightly enthused about the stuff she's promoting. Anyone else feel like she's obviously reciting a script? Now and then she forces a smile but otherwise she looks miserable and forced in her promotion of the various monthly boxes that she supposedly "loves".

The up close shots and voice...yikes.

What an incredibly strange giveaway. She's giving away 28 gift cards, but she doesn't even say for what stores (though it looks like Apple and Chick-fil-a - can't tell what's in the middle) or how much they're worth.

I can't imagine she PAID for them, but then what company would want to give free gift cards if they didn't even get any advertising out of it? Usually with these kinds of Instagram giveaways, the company is heavily promoted and you have to follow them on top of the influencer to be eligible for the draw. Weird.

50 minutes ago, JillyO said:

What an incredibly strange giveaway. She's giving away 28 gift cards, but she doesn't even say for what stores (though it looks like Apple and Chick-fil-a - can't tell what's in the middle) or how much they're worth.

I can't imagine she PAID for them, but then what company would want to give free gift cards if they didn't even get any advertising out of it? Usually with these kinds of Instagram giveaways, the company is heavily promoted and you have to follow them on top of the influencer to be eligible for the draw. Weird.

Maybe she got them from the companies themselves? It looks like Starbucks is one too.

2 minutes ago, freethemall said:

Maybe she got them from the companies themselves? It looks like Starbucks is one too.

Oh good. Just in time for them to all scream persecution because the fucking holiday cups don’t feature Jesus. 

17 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

7 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I agree. If it were someone I knew personally I likely wouldn’t think much of it because I don’t know anyone who could be classified as Fundie. But a comment like that from a member of the Bates or Duggar family* will always get at least a second glance from me due to what we know of their beliefs. 

Gotta add my agreement here. We've seen SO many fundamentalist parents give their daughters positive attention for minding their siblings (such as praising them, taking their picture, or bragging to other people in front of them) as a sort of first step toward parentification. When your kid associates childcare with validation, "she loves helping mommy" quickly becomes "she begged us to put the newborn's crib in her room so she could feed him at night." The Anderson girls are a recent example of this.

It definitely gets my hackles up, even if Alyssa is using it perfectly innocently.

16 minutes ago, nickelodeon said:

Gotta add my agreement here. We've seen SO many fundamentalist parents give their daughters positive attention for minding their siblings (such as praising them, taking their picture, or bragging to other people in front of them) as a sort of first step toward parentification. When your kid associates childcare with validation, "she loves helping mommy" quickly becomes "she begged us to put the newborn's crib in her room so she could feed him at night." The Anderson girls are a recent example of this.

It definitely gets my hackles up, even if Alyssa is using it perfectly innocently.

Lot of good points in this post and others.  I was looking at it through a normal lens, not the fundie prism.

4 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

Oh mine too. Right up there with Kelly Bates claim her daughters "volunteers" to take over the cooking for the family or teaching or something. Right Kelly. How absolutely amazing that every time a chore needed done or you needed to replace your cook or teacher another daughter miraculous volunteers.    

Having worked in marketing, I can say that one of the things about being an influencer or doing product endorsements is that is actually a pretty flexible job in terms of time commitment and work load.

It is something you can make a full time job if you have the following, it is something you can do part time, or something you can do as a small side project with one or two companies/projects. You are essentially your own boss when it comes to choosing what projects to take on and unless you are contracted to big companies like Nike or Maybelline, for most of these instagram personalities, it is usually as simple as just not taking the next free product or box from a company if you are wanting to cut back on how much you are doing.

If she went about it the right way, Alyssa could probably make a part time job out of her Instagram because she has a built in fanbase, a conventionally attractive family, and in the Southern US "young christian moms" is a huge demographic companies want to reach. But she might not want to make that big time commitment, and is just happy to get a few free products and shill them on instagram around her commitments to the girls and her cleaning job if she still does it.

Knock me down with a feather. She took the girls heathen pagan trick or treating. Princesses only though. My daughter got to be Spider-Man  ?‍♀️

I could hardly believe it either when I saw them trick or treating.  However Alyssa did not put it on her insta that I could see, it was only on Johns.

56 minutes ago, Nodaknorskie said:

I could hardly believe it either when I saw them trick or treating.  However Alyssa did not put it on her insta that I could see, it was only on Johns.

Ah yes, you are correct. I about near fell over when I hit the button. And rushed right over here to see if anyone was about to talk about it with. I did not double check. He has changed his pic I still have not gotten used to that being his pic and him picking up the pace in posting. I wonder if he has a reason he has picked up since the hacking thing. Perhaps he is on holidays and has more time too. 

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived