IGNORED

Alyssa & John: Life With Three Daughters

Jellybean

6 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

Presby homeschoolers have REFORMATION DAY, the shittiest of the replacement halloweens.

Well, it is not a replacement though. Reformation day is celebrated all over the world by Protestant churches. Additionally many churches celebrate a form of thanksgiving (not related to the US history of thanksgiving with founding fathers) where they thank god for successful harvest. While Reformation Day is rather new thing as it happened “only” 500 years ago, thanksgiving is a much older tradition.

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know plenty of very mainstream christians who do not celebrate Halloween so to me it seems huge that John and Alyssa would trick or treat and celebrate the holiday on any level. 

20 hours ago, formergothardite said:

Can you imagine most of the fundie moms in those families taking kids out trick or treating, though? 

Michelle - she is buddy to whatever the baby is and would send the sister moms 

Kelly - she isn't even buddy to a baby but is off on a mini-vacation with Gil leaving the sister moms to do the work

Terrie - the Moody book description of a mother playing hide and seek with her kids was almost certainly based on how Terrie behaved, she would be in shut in her room. The kids would have to take themselves trick or treating. 

Jill Rod - would go but would make the entire thing all about her and then the children would "decide" to give all their candy to their mother. 

I could see Erin and Jill taking the kids out trick or treating, but I could also see Derick and Chad doing it. 

My dad always took us trick or treating while my mom stayed home. I think she just needed time alone. 

Ok but I think the point is being missed - it's not about whether it's mom or dad, these are people who believe Halloween is an evil holiday where people worship Devil.

Interesting that as we're having this discussion, a random mommy blogger/influencer/social media personality I follow on instagram who does not seem in any way religious posted a whole bunch of crap in her story about why she doesn't celebrate Halloween. She posted stuff like this, and she's not nearly as religious as even the most fundie lite people we follow:

image.thumb.png.90c79c8c44b81c066bbb39148fd87fce.png

image.png.ce9246ff246bd01febb1504dfaf1dd9d.png

17 hours ago, FloraDoraDolly said:

I agree. I have never heard of a fundie family that allowed their kids to celebrate Halloween. Even among fundie-lite and evangelical Christians, there are many who view Halloween as satanic but they will attend a Harvest/Fall Festival at their church where the kids dress up (not as anything ebil), play games, have cider & donuts, and come home with a bag of treats.

Yeah, even the fundie-lite evangelicals I know (women wear pants and work at least part-time, adults drink wine, and the family consumes plenty of popular media short of Game of Thrones) don't do trick or treating. The mega churches around here have "Fall Festivals" just like you described. I am really surprised at this development. 

2 hours ago, freethemall said:

hese are people who believe Halloween is an evil holiday where people worship Devil.

Did they Bates ever say that? I wouldn't be surprised if they did, but I also wouldn't be surprised if John's family was all into Halloween. He was IBLP, but not all IBLP members are out wearing frumpers and being like the Bates. Plenty celebrated Halloween, including my family. I could easily see John's family participating since his dad is so political. 

6 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Did they Bates ever say that? I wouldn't be surprised if they did, but I also wouldn't be surprised if John's family was all into Halloween. He was IBLP, but not all IBLP members are out wearing frumpers and being like the Bates. Plenty celebrated Halloween, including my family. I could easily see John's family participating since his dad is so political. 

So for thing like this if Gothard didn't have an official stance it was up to headships to make the rules?

Probably John and Alyssa know their neighbors and he only took the kids to a few houses. If the other little girls in the neighborhood were doing it, they wouldn’t want their kids to feel left out. Just candy and princess dresses, no need to worry about satanists. Good for them.

2 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Probably John and Alyssa know their neighbors and he only took the kids to a few houses. If the other little girls in the neighborhood were doing it, they wouldn’t want their kids to feel left out. Just candy and princess dresses, no need to worry about satanists. Good for them.

But they had quite a bit of candy. It was probably more than a few houses.

On 11/1/2018 at 12:32 PM, formergothardite said:

Can you imagine most of the fundie moms in those families taking kids out trick or treating, though? 

Michelle - she is buddy to whatever the baby is and would send the sister moms 

Kelly - she isn't even buddy to a baby but is off on a mini-vacation with Gil leaving the sister moms to do the work

Terrie - the Moody book description of a mother playing hide and seek with her kids was almost certainly based on how Terrie behaved, she would be in shut in her room. The kids would have to take themselves trick or treating. 

Jill Rod - would go but would make the entire thing all about her and then the children would "decide" to give all their candy to their mother. 

I could see Erin and Jill taking the kids out trick or treating, but I could also see Derick and Chad doing it. 

My dad always took us trick or treating while my mom stayed home. I think she just needed time alone. 

My turn! My turn!

Kelly Crawford--Would take the kids trick or treating but then the kids would "decide" to give all the candy to her, and she'd sell it on ebay.

Erika Shupe--Takes the kids trick or treating, confiscates all the candy, locks it in their in-home safe, and doles out one Skittle/M&M/Nerd per day, till it runs out 14 years later.

The Andersons--takes the kids for a combined trick or treating/soul winning session. Pissed-off homeowners give the kids nothing and tell their dad to "Get the f-- out of here. They hear their dad shouting back about the Bible. They are confused and depressed. (not trying to be funny here, I think this happens a lot).

Meredith Hammer--Hand-sews pintrest-worthy Halloween costumes for all five kids, along with hand-sewn Halloween bags with perfect appliques. They trick or treat looking perfect for five minutes, then Meredith sees that the kids' costumes have gotten a bit dirty and smeared with chocolate, and so she takes them all home. 

11 hours ago, artdecades said:

It seems to me that IBLP is against Halloween

https://iblp.org/questions/can-little-children-stand-alone-what-right

Gothard was super anti-witch and ghost. Along with troll dolls, trolls on the Candy Land board, and, of course, the ebil Cabbage patch dolls that needed to be burned.  That articles warns against witches and ghosts but doesn't go as far as saying Halloween is banned. Even if Gothard did teach against it, not everyone followed all the rules and current IBLP families seem to not follow a lot  of his old rules. Gothard had a Wisdom Booklet on dresses and Josie's engagement dress was the definition of an eye trap. Clearly the Bates have dropped a lot of Gothard's strict rules. I think IBLP in general has.

I can see the Bates being against it when their kids grew up since they were mega-fundie, but John's family always seemed way more relaxed fundies. 

Aren't there pictures of Evan dressed up for Halloween? I can see Carlin getting into the holiday too. 

1 hour ago, formergothardite said:

Gothard was super anti-witch and ghost. Along with troll dolls, trolls on the Candy Land board, and, of course, the ebil Cabbage patch dolls that needed to be burned.  That articles warns against witches and ghosts but doesn't go as far as saying Halloween is banned. Even if Gothard did teach against it, not everyone followed all the rules and current IBLP families seem to not follow a lot  of his old rules. Gothard had a Wisdom Booklet on dresses and Josie's engagement dress was the definition of an eye trap. Clearly the Bates have dropped a lot of Gothard's strict rules. I think IBLP in general has.

I can see the Bates being against it when their kids grew up since they were mega-fundie, but John's family always seemed way more relaxed fundies. 

Aren't there pictures of Evan dressed up for Halloween? I can see Carlin getting into the holiday too. 

Oh, I forgot all about the Cabbage Patch! 

22 hours ago, freethemall said:

image.thumb.png.90c79c8c44b81c066bbb39148fd87fce.png

"Most Satanists" "offer human sacrifices to the devil" on Haloween...LOLOLOL

1 hour ago, lumpentheologie said:

"Most Satanists" "offer human sacrifices to the devil" on Haloween...LOLOLOL

The only thing I sacrificed on Halloween was my waist line from eating too much candy. 

On 10/26/2018 at 10:17 AM, JillyO said:

What an incredibly strange giveaway. She's giving away 28 gift cards, but she doesn't even say for what stores (though it looks like Apple and Chick-fil-a - can't tell what's in the middle) or how much they're worth.

I can't imagine she PAID for them, but then what company would want to give free gift cards if they didn't even get any advertising out of it? Usually with these kinds of Instagram giveaways, the company is heavily promoted and you have to follow them on top of the influencer to be eligible for the draw. Weird.

I am more shocked that she let her own family enter the giveaway. How very strange.

Jill Dillard entered which is not surprising  to me at all but is definitely a bad look.

1E787936-FA68-4FF4-9388-F4891683EB80.png

John has story highlights for all of his individual family members which I think is very adorable. (Yeah I know fundies are awful. I didn’t forget.) The one with Alyssa is accompanied by an Ed Sheeran song.

6F151D7E-1A45-42E0-BA2B-CA63EC2273A1.png

Here close to the North Pole Halloween has been met with some pushback as well. Not really on religious grounds, as we are a pretty secular bunch mostly, but because of consumerism. It is very in and popular to be against consumerism (at least on certain days, not so much on regular days). The trend is to celebrate Hallovenn instead, in much the same way, but ""better. Venn translates as friend btw, and Hallo as hello, so Hello Friend (or just Hallovenn) becomes a thing. The thought is to have parties with a Halloween theme but with more of a focus on community and friendship.

Of course, a lot of people go all out on the Halloween thing as well, so the Hallovenn becomes mostly for the young children. 

Just a digression. 

3 hours ago, Thorns said:

Here close to the North Pole Halloween has been met with some pushback as well. Not really on religious grounds, as we are a pretty secular bunch mostly, but because of consumerism. It is very in and popular to be against consumerism (at least on certain days, not so much on regular days). The trend is to celebrate Hallovenn instead, in much the same way, but ""better. Venn translates as friend btw, and Hallo as hello, so Hello Friend (or just Hallovenn) becomes a thing. The thought is to have parties with a Halloween theme but with more of a focus on community and friendship.

Of course, a lot of people go all out on the Halloween thing as well, so the Hallovenn becomes mostly for the young children. 

Just a digression. 

It’s funny because I am not a big consumerist and I think people could live with a lot less stuff. But I also have a huge aversion to the types of people who are almost “holier than thou” when it comes to hating on consumerism. It reminds me of a lot of fundies actually. I hate when people act like they are saving the whole planet because they aren’t buying Halloween candy or hand made all their Christmas gifts. I think that’s great and all but some people take it to another level completely and brag like it’s their job. It really turns me off. 

Lawson tagged Tim Tebow, Chris Pratt and Chris Hemsworth in his response, I’m sure they are in need of a $5.00 Chick fil a card. 

Stupidest Staged Bates Pose of The Week - Alyssa (but w/ a good dress and nice secular quote)

Like I'm not saying this isn't normal but it's crazy how many photos she has along with other fundies of them kissing each other like I feel like it's frequent than normal. 

Damnit Alyssa use birth control. This has nothing to do with liking her. I genuinely think she is not suited to a huge family. Her own comments kind of indicate that. I know she started out witb 6 or 8. But then after Zoey she was down again. 

The life we see on instagram is not compatible with higher levels of children. If she keeps going those three girls are going to be sister moms and I doubt anyone will look as happy.

She likes fashion, a lot. I would hazard a guess that she may like having some disposable income to spend on fashion for her and the girls. They are dressing well. Nothing wrong with that. She likes quiet and gets migraines.  She and husband have displayed adaptability towards mainstream conservative. I don’t know how much thought she puts into all of it or cares about it. But it does mean to me that it could include a limitation on the babies. They can keep hating, just quit babies.

And I’m pleased that John seems to like his little girls. That makes me less inclined to think they will push for a boy. But of course, that’s a thing, so yeah.

Anyway, rant over. She remains my hope for birth control. Likely unrealistic but still there. This will bite me. @formergothardite you may give me the talking to about how my head is in my behind :) 

So many of us think we want one thing re: family size, and then start, and it turns out we don’t want that. I see that with her. She parroted what she was supposed to and now she’s in a sweet spot. And as we have all noticed, the Bates are loosening up. 

11 hours ago, candygirl200413 said:

Like I'm not saying this isn't normal but it's crazy how many photos she has along with other fundies of them kissing each other like I feel like it's frequent than normal. 

And modesty and all that, right.

10 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

Damnit Alyssa use birth control. This has nothing to do with liking her. I genuinely think she is not suited to a huge family. Her own comments kind of indicate that. I know she started out witb 6 or 8. But then after Zoey she was down again. 

The life we see on instagram is not compatible with higher levels of children. If she keeps going those three girls are going to be sister moms and I doubt anyone will look as happy.

She likes fashion, a lot. I would hazard a guess that she may like having some disposable income to spend on fashion for her and the girls. They are dressing well. Nothing wrong with that. She likes quiet and gets migraines.  She and husband have displayed adaptability towards mainstream conservative. I don’t know how much thought she puts into all of it or cares about it. But it does mean to me that it could include a limitation on the babies. They can keep hating, just quit babies.

And I’m pleased that John seems to like his little girls. That makes me less inclined to think they will push for a boy. But of course, that’s a thing, so yeah.

Anyway, rant over. She remains my hope for birth control. Likely unrealistic but still there. This will bite me. @formergothardite you may give me the talking to about how my head is in my behind :) 

So many of us think we want one thing re: family size, and then start, and it turns out we don’t want that. I see that with her. She parroted what she was supposed to and now she’s in a sweet spot. And as we have all noticed, the Bates are loosening up. 

Anyone with any common sense knows that the day is never longer than 24 hours, each additional child requires more time and energy expended and money spent. Further, most people do not have a lifetime's worth of money provided from a forever reality TV show. Anyone with a modicum of logic, reasoning and common sense realizes that having a large number of children is time and cost prohibitive. If you truly care about yourself, your marriage, the planet, and most of all, raising decent, solid, contributing members of society (AKA children) you find a way to not be a reproductive glutton.

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived